Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > salvation army bell ringers make me want to scream

Photographer

Eye of Sicari

Toledo, Ohio, US

TOP OF THE PAGE MA!

get in the spirit

Dec 08 12 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

http://shastimuli.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ebenezer-scrooge.jpg

Dec 08 12 08:14 pm Link

Model

modeled

San Diego, California, US

I'm a charitable person who comes from an even more charitable family.  I donate every year to local charities and volunteer at various charities when I can, I would like to do more and I plan to do more.  Having said all that, this year the bell ringing seems to have gotten a little more enthusiastic than years past.  It might be there way of saying "we know the economy has been slow but don't forget those who can't afford groceries?" It is very sad that there are so many people in need, perhaps if everyone who heard the bell tossed a couple bucks into the bucket the ringing wouldn't be so loud, or perhaps not.  I heard the bell ringer say she was here (Orlando) from New Orleans.  So I guess the bell ringers are sent from different cities?  Wonder why that is?

Dec 08 12 09:03 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Ever notice how christian charities tend to be the most annoying? I don't think it's coincidence either

Dec 08 12 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Ms Selina K wrote:
Ever notice how christian charities tend to be the most annoying? I don't think it's coincidence either

Because no one else knows how to ring a bell or collect donations for others?  That sounds about right.

Dec 08 12 11:48 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Huntington, West Virginia, US

GCobb Photography wrote:

Because no one else knows how to ring a bell or collect donations for others?  That sounds about right.

The bell is obnoxious. So is saying "god bless" to a complete stranger. If people want to donate, then they will do so without needing the reminder. Simple as that

Dec 08 12 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

For those of you that hate the bell ringing maybe you would have liked the Navy sailor playing Christmas carols on his trombone that I saw today outside of Vons. I definitely preferred it to the incessant bell ringing!

Dec 09 12 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Tricolorkittie

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Not sure if you realize but at least some of the bell ringers are getting paid hourly to do so and are not volunteers. I don't think all are but it bothers me to think they are accruing such high overhead in order to gain those donations. 6 hour day = $44 dollars paid to the bellringer... just food for thought. Personally I donate to heifer.org instead or now debtstrike. Lower overhead = more good done with my dollar. Be a smart shopper in everything especially your charities. Although SA is better than Redcross even if I don't care for their anti-gay policies.

Dec 09 12 12:01 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I hear the bell for a few seconds as I walk to the store and a few seconds after I walk out. And it's presumably to help people out. So no big deal.

While I'm in the store, I'm subjected to usually-cheesy Christmas songs the whole time. Now, there's the real annoyance.

Dec 09 12 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ms Selina K wrote:

No...
I find other things annoying though.

Dec 09 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tricolorkittie wrote:
Not sure if you realize but at least some of the bell ringers are getting paid hourly to do so and are not volunteers. I don't think all are but it bothers me to think they are accruing such high overhead in order to gain those donations. 6 hour day = $44 dollars paid to the bellringer...

as if that is anything close to a living wage

Dec 09 12 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Elkton, Maryland, US

I like SA bell.  It reminds me the holidays are upon us once again.  But I don't donate to SA but when our kids were young they loved to put money in.  And I enjoyed seeing their innocent smiling faces.

But all these are gone.  Perhaps they will do the same to their children.

Dec 09 12 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

The bell doesn't bother me, but I don't donate or do anything to assist the salvation army. They stole my grandfathers blankets during WWII and my family carries a grudge.

Dec 09 12 04:01 pm Link