Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Mayan apocalypse: panic spreads as Dec 21 nears
guide forum

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Mayan apocalypse: panic spreads as December 21 nears

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … nears.html

[in part - and blending in stuff from some related articles]

Fears that the end of the world is nigh have spread across the world with only days until the end of the Mayan calendar, with doomsday-mongers predicting a cataclysmic end to the history of Earth.

Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year "Long Count" Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.  ...

Russia saw people in Omutninsk, in Kirov region, rushing to buy kerosene and supplies after a newspaper article, supposedly written by a Tibetan monk, confirmed the end of the world.

The city of Novokuznetsk faced a run on salt. In Barnaul, close to the Altai Mountains, panic-buyers snapped up all the torches and Thermos flasks.

Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian prime minister, even addressed the situation. "I don't believe in the end of the world," before adding somewhat disconcertingly: "At least, not this year."

In China, which has no history of preoccupation with the end of the world, a wave of paranoia about the apocalypse can be traced to the 2009 Hollywood blockbuster "2012". The film, starring John Cusack, was a smash hit in China, as viewers were seduced by a plot that saw the Chinese military building arks to save humanity.  China's most famous book of prophecies, the 7th century Tui Bei Tu, makes no direct mention of the end of the world.

But in Sichuan province, panic buying of candles has swept through two counties in the fear that an ancient Mayan prediction that the world will end on December 21 proves to be true.

"Candles are selling by the hundreds, with buyers constantly coming to the market. Many stores have run out," said Huang Zhaoli, a shopper at the Neijing Wholesale Market, to the West China City Daily newspaper.

Mr Li, the owner of the Guangfa grocery store in Chengdu, added: "Lots of people have been buying candles recently. At first, we had no idea why. But then we heard someone muttering about the continuous darkness".

Last month, a man in the far west province of Xinjiang made news when he spent his life savings of £100,000 to build an ark for 20 people. Lu Zhenghai began building the 65ft ship in 2010. "When the time comes, everyone can take refuge in it." However, as the deadline approaches, Mr Lu has reportedly run out of cash to finish the boat. He said if the apocalypse failed to materialise, he would use the boat to take tourists on sightseeing tours.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02421/ark_2421245b.jpg

---

Excuse me, BUT - - - panic buying of - - - shelters? food? candles? fuel? blah, blah, blah

What part of "The End" are these people not understanding? Is there some kind of hirearchy of exceptionalism here? Those who buy this shit will somehow survive and everyone else can fuck off.

Me? If I believed in this crap, which I most certainly do not, I would absolutely positively have a plan for the 20th of December that does not include surviving the 21st. and expecting to wake up to business as usual on the 22nd. Hell, there are a few people I have been longing to kill for years, and one or two women I have always wanted to fuck, whether they are willing or not. I might even spend a few minutes on the 20th posting in the wrong forum here on MM or throwing up some NSFW images in a post or two without linking them or even marking them as (18+). I mean, come on, if you're gonna' go you may as well go in style.

See ya' all on the other side...........

"The End"

Studio36

Dec 09 12 04:04 am Link

Model

Cait Chan

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Maybe they're planning for the sun to go out...

Then who's gonna be laughing when China has all the candles??

Dec 09 12 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I'm sure we'll be hearing many reports of people killing themselves and their entire families due to fear.

Dec 09 12 04:21 am Link

Photographer

fullmetalphotographer

Fresno, California, US

That sucks my Birthday is on the 22nd, I guess i won't see it wink

Dec 09 12 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

DAMN!

I went Christmas shopping early! sad

Dec 09 12 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That's cool. Lets get these dumb asses off the planet. Had I thought about this at least 5 years ago, I would've came up with a way to profit off the madness.

Dec 09 12 04:38 am Link

Photographer

255 West

New York, New York, US

Cait Chan wrote:
Maybe they're planning for the sun to go out...

Then who's gonna be laughing when China has all the candles??

OMIGOD! Excellent point. I'm stocking up on wax right now.

Dec 09 12 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

Cant happen soon enough.

Dec 09 12 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Who needs candles if the earth blows up?

Besides, where are ya gonna buy a Bic to light them?

Dec 09 12 04:58 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

studio36uk wrote:
What part of "The End" are these people not understanding?

I agree on you here. I don't want to think about whether it is going to happen or not, but I do believe that when its true, it means the 'End of Life as we know it'. No exceptions will be made by the divine, the planet will get a nice sweep and the calendar will be reset to 0000.000.00.00.00.00 (year.day.hour.minute.second). The planet will start with a clean slate and new life will get the opportunity to do it better than we are doing now.

In fact, I have this fantasy.

Many people believe in God and Satan, in Heaven and Hell, in Angels and Demons. Good and evil respectively. But many people also believe that each individual is both good and evil, and depending the choices you make, which defines who you are, you will either live a good or evil life, or change somewhere some point in life because of an life-changing experience (birth of child, almost death accident, etc).

Because of these, I think "the Good" and "the Evil" are the same! That angels and demons are the same. If you do good, this 'angel' will reward you with something good in return, but if you do bad, this 'demon' will punish you; similar to believe in karma. So I think God and Satan are the same, if something good happens to you, you assume God is on your side, if something bad happens to you, you think God neglected you, which also can be intrepreted as Satan helping you.

So, in relation with the Mayan thing and end of world stuff, I think that when its true, I fantasize about the divine (good and evil, aka good/evil) basically 'coming down' on us to punish the life, sweep clean, and restart life on the planet.

Disclaimer:
Like I said, this is my intrepretation and fantasy. I do not intend in any way to either be a smart-ass, nor to offend any religious people on this forum, nor on any other possible touchpoint (online, digital, offline/real life).

Dec 09 12 04:59 am Link

Model

modeled

San Diego, California, US

lol

Dec 09 12 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Spring Valley, California, US

I need to start selling end-of-the-world insurance that pays out big bucks if - and only if - the world ends.

Dec 09 12 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I intend to panic buy pot plants.

Dec 09 12 05:51 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

How's this for "stiff upper lip" Brits? Keep Calm and Carry On!

UK institutions confirmed they had the necessary capacity to deal with any unusual events that might occur and, with tongues firmly in cheeks, put forward some specific suggestions for survival.

A London Fire brigade spokesman said: 'Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home, then at least you might stand a chance of knowing that the end of the world is nigh ahead of those who don’t.

'If you survive the apocalypse you’ll be alerted to a fire more quickly should one ever break out.'

The AA advised: 'Before heading off, take time to do the basic checks on your car and allow extra time for your journey.

'Local radio is a good source of traffic and weather updates and for any warnings of an impending apocalypse. Should the announcer break such solemn news, try to remain focused on the road ahead and keep your hands on the wheel.'

An RSPCA spokesman added: 'Luckily for animals, they do not have the same fears of the future - or its imminent destruction - as us humans, so it is unlikely that our pets will be worrying about the end of the world. However, should the Mayans prove to be right, our message would be to spend whatever time you have left with your animals wisely. Take them for a long walk or give them a cuddle. Enjoy every second you have with them as if it was your last!"

Love it!

Studio36

Dec 09 12 06:23 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

It's just going to have to wait. I saw the trailer for "Oz the Great and Powerful," and it looks interesting and fun, and it comes out March 8, and I want to see it.

After that, no problem... well, wait. Iron Man 3 comes out May 3, and I'd kinda like to see it, too. But Armageddon can come like a drop of red matter before May 17, which is when the next Star Trek comes out.

Dec 09 12 06:37 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

The interesting thing about this is that it was only the end of the cycle and a few years back, they found a cave with the calendar continuing well a few thousand years into the future... and it's strange that people don't pay attention...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/28006_10151134661996275_1173639695_n.jpg

Dec 09 12 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I always wonder about the supply thing as well, if there's anything in prophecy then it's a  "if we're doomed then we're doomed" situation.

If people were both smart and believers then they'd be running through a bucket list of who to have those last conversations and hook-ups with.

Kind of says it about the level pf planning and rational thought on the part of believers.

Dec 09 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484387_499354533438357_2067502070_n.jpg

Dec 09 12 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

studio36uk wrote:
How's this for "stiff upper lip" Brits? Keep Calm and Carry On!

UK institutions confirmed they had the necessary capacity to deal with any unusual events that might occur and, with tongues firmly in cheeks, put forward some specific suggestions for survival.

A London Fire brigade spokesman said: 'Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home, then at least you might stand a chance of knowing that the end of the world is nigh ahead of those who don’t.

'If you survive the apocalypse you’ll be alerted to a fire more quickly should one ever break out.'

The AA advised: 'Before heading off, take time to do the basic checks on your car and allow extra time for your journey.

'Local radio is a good source of traffic and weather updates and for any warnings of an impending apocalypse. Should the announcer break such solemn news, try to remain focused on the road ahead and keep your hands on the wheel.'

An RSPCA spokesman added: 'Luckily for animals, they do not have the same fears of the future - or its imminent destruction - as us humans, so it is unlikely that our pets will be worrying about the end of the world. However, should the Mayans prove to be right, our message would be to spend whatever time you have left with your animals wisely. Take them for a long walk or give them a cuddle. Enjoy every second you have with them as if it was your last!"

Love it!

Studio36

I'm not buying any of this. All self-respecting brits will down to the local drinking like there is no tomorrow!

Oh wait, they do that anyways.

// runs and hides //

Dec 09 12 10:34 am Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Los Angeles, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
I do not intend in any way to either be a smart-ass, nor to offend any religious people on this forum, nor on any other possible touchpoint (online, digital, offline/real life).

Where's the fun in that?

Dec 09 12 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

there was some jackass in the pub i was at the other night going on about how it's possible the world might actually end on the 21st, and there's no way to disprove it, so he was right.

this is just like the invisible unicorn in my backyard. everyone seems to think i'm just making it up, but they can't prove it's not there. so i'm gonna keep leaving water for it...after all, the water disappears every few days, so it must be there. wink

on the off chance the world DOES come to an end on the 22nd, i'll be getting really high the evening of the 21st (of course, that might've been the plan anyway, since it's the first night of christmas break, regardless of doomsday prophecies tongue).

Dec 09 12 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

BlueMoonPics

New York, New York, US

I'm just gonna party like its 1999. smile

Dec 09 12 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

So what's with all this fiscal cliff crap... what a waist of time.
I think the Mayans scheduled it AFTER the 21st on purpose  lol

Dec 09 12 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Stop worrying!

Everything will be alright.

Here's Adolph, explaining why: 
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRRCjux1 … ature=fvwp

Dec 09 12 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
What part of "The End" are these people not understanding?

That's what I was wondering!

I suppose that if they're dumb enough to believe it's true they're dumb enough to think they'll need supplies to survive.

Scary.

Dec 09 12 06:57 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Well there has been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar Created it in 45BC.

Without the extra day every four years, today would be july 28th, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

Dec 10 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

/worldwide panic

Stealing for facebook.  smile

Dec 10 12 09:13 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

/worldwide panic

Stealing for facebook.  smile

hahaha!! Right on, just credit the model. wink lmao

Dec 10 12 09:20 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

It's difficult to imagine how paranoid people become with math.

Dec 10 12 09:20 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Tyler, Texas, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

The Mayan Calendar was not based off of our calender thus what you are saying wouldn't apply.

Dec 10 12 09:27 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:

The Mayan Calendar was not based off of our calender thus what you are saying wouldn't apply.

Right, but they are both aligned with the solstice, and our lead days keep us aligned. Scientists have aligned the Myan calendar with ours, so you see...your argument doesn't apply.

Dec 10 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Tyler, Texas, US

udor wrote:
The interesting thing about this is that it was only the end of the cycle and a few years back, they found a cave with the calendar continuing well a few thousand years into the future... and it's strange that people don't pay attention...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/28006_10151134661996275_1173639695_n.jpg

I think what you are referring to is the fact that the calendar started over 4 times. It is only their belief that there will not be a 6th time, thus the end of the calendar. Each time it did end it had predicted a horrible event that actually happened, thus the prediction of a doomsday this time. Isn't it better to be prepared for a horrible event than not be prepared making the event that much more horrible. However, if it does happen and you aren't prepared already then C'est la vie. If the calendar doesn't continue who cares? But it is also possible that it will just start over again, horrible event or not.

Dec 10 12 09:40 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Not even the Mayans believe in that! http://news.discovery.com/human/mayans- … 21026.html

The world will not end, at least not this year...  smile

Dec 10 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Tyler, Texas, US

Frances Jewel wrote:
Right, but they are both aligned with the solstice, and our lead days keep us aligned. Scientists have aligned the Myan calendar with ours, so you see...your argument doesn't apply.

Their "year" has nothing to do with our year or the solstice. It is a cycle of three calendars combined. The end is based off an alignment that forms a cross in the sky, the fact that Venus "crossed the sun" and some other event that I don't recall at the moment that was an important event to them, all three never happened at the end of a cycle before, thus their belief that it is the final cycle.

Edit: The Mayan Civilization of old is what I'm referring too. Plus we will never know the truth because of the priest that destroyed countless codex kept us from being more enlightened and if any of their ancestors have a clue of what they said they aren't telling us.

Dec 10 12 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Damon Strong wrote:
I'm sure we'll be hearing many reports of people killing themselves and their entire families due to fear.

I have no problem with people wanting to kill themselves over it. But killing others is NOT GOOD.

Dec 10 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

So wasn't some rogue planet named Nibiru supposed to come through the Solar System a
t this time around now,making its closest passt on Dec 21??

So where is it

Dec 10 12 10:38 am Link