Forums > Newbie Forum > Art model just approved!

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi. I'm an art model based in Sydney Australia and am excited to start shooting again after a short break!

Looking forward to chatting with you all,

Kiah

Dec 09 12 06:24 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Posts: 1015

Seattle, Washington, US

This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

EDIT
I should not have made this comment, and it was also totally misunderstood by the others that read it, which made things worse.  In any case, I take responsibility for it, and this new model has my sincerest apology for any hard feelings that may have come from my comment.

I love the originality of the artwork, and hope to see more of it.

Dec 09 12 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Welcome to MM.

Dec 09 12 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

Your unsolicited critique is both rude and against the rules.

Edit: There is no tone to writings on the internet so jokes can be rendered flat and direct in a way that makes them seem straightforward and cutting rather than playful.

Dec 09 12 06:47 am Link

Model

Julia Francesca

Posts: 2365

Maumee, Ohio, US

Welcome!!! big_smile

Dec 09 12 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Posts: 1900

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

Yeah David it has gotten so bad here that they even let photographers with over exposed, poorly lit, and crappy composition head shots on the site. I mean just look at this horrible shot
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28470424

oops sorry didn't realize you were living in such a glass house.

To the newbe: You are going to "meet" at lot of piss poor attitudes on here don't let it get to you.

Dec 09 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Posts: 800

Orlando, Florida, US

Newbie in Australia: welcome to MM!

I've been to your country about 3 times...and want to return. Your country has a disproportionate number of good models :-)

The images aren't my style but then that's why we get together here on MM--share our various styles--with in some very wide parameters! We each have our own unique styles. In fact, I'm varying my styles and learning new ones--to challenge myself. I'm even doing things I find less than appealing because I want to learn it so that I can make a more informed decision.

About the comment by Lumen. I happen to know him photographically and my interpretation is that a verbal comment that might pass in jest, when put in writing has a different interpretation than might be intended. (I'm not taking the time to cross examine him and divine his intentions).

Every communication risks miscommunication.

For example, a model's profile says she reads a lot. So I sent PM and offered that I was reading a mainstream title--Block.  I read and reflect and can't figure out why this was construed to be offensive and the blocker offered no explanation either. I thought that rude. But I'm letting it go.

A lot of my work--I lock up and don't display because I KNOW that it can be misunderstood and misconstrued even by folks friendly to me!  Not as brave as you to post publicly.

I used to think that spin doctors for presidential addresses indicated some malfeasance in his speech. Now I understand that we have different mental filters, like like filters, to interpret the same phenomenon. Therefore we can come to  vastly different understandings based on the same stimuli.

I will say, that IMHO, it's not brig worthy! :-) [That statement alone illustrates what I mean--many of you won't know what that means but he's being thrown in the electronic, not physical, brig for a day for this offense!]

http://www.modelmayhem.com/probationlog.php

Hope all is well in Australia! :-)

You win some, you lose some.

Dec 09 12 10:36 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

GPS Studio Services

Posts: 36241

San Francisco, California, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Your unsolicited critique is both rude and against the rules.

I apologize but I will also make an unsolicited critique as well. I think the images are interesting and unique.  I think the OP will make a great addition to the MM community.  Welcome and I wish you great success.

Dec 09 12 11:48 am Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

Hi David,

It may not surprise you to learn that my portfolio is building, I am currently awaiting images. I do understand it is not ideal to have only images which obscure my appearance however at this point in time I have no other option. This profile may be new, however I am highly experienced and familiar with the workings of MM. May your bitterness be quelled as my portfolio grows smile

Dec 09 12 11:57 am Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Welcome to MM.

Thanks Jeffrey! Much appreciated.

Dec 09 12 11:58 am Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Caustic Disco wrote:
Welcome!!! big_smile

Thanks Caustic!

Dec 09 12 11:59 am Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Posts: 400

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Welcome to Model Mayhem; looking forward to seeing more from you smile

Dec 09 12 12:00 pm Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Tony KnightHawk Studios wrote:

Yeah David it has gotten so bad here that they even let photographers with over exposed, poorly lit, and crappy composition head shots on the site. I mean just look at this horrible shot
*link removed*

oops sorry didn't realize you were living in such a glass house.

To the newbe: You are going to "meet" at lot of piss poor attitudes on here don't let it get to you.

Hi Tony,

Whilst I do appreciate your input, I would rather this thread not be locked/your comments be removed due to it becoming an unsolicited critique/back and forth thread. Thank you for your welcome, and I assure you - after my years of experience - I have a tough skin.

Dec 09 12 12:02 pm Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

FFantastique wrote:
Newbie in Australia: welcome to MM!

I've been to your country about 3 times...and want to return. Your country has a disproportionate number of good models :-)

The images aren't my style but then that's why we get together here on MM--share our various styles--with in some very wide parameters! We each have our own unique styles. In fact, I'm varying my styles and learning new ones--to challenge myself. I'm even doing things I find less than appealing because I want to learn it so that I can make a more informed decision.

About the comment by Lumen. I happen to know him photographically and my interpretation is that a verbal comment that might pass in jest, when put in writing has a different interpretation than might be intended. (I'm not taking the time to cross examine him and divine his intentions).

Every communication risks miscommunication.

For example, a model's profile says she reads a lot. So I sent PM and offered that I was reading a mainstream title--Block.  I read and reflect and can't figure out why this was construed to be offensive and the blocker offered no explanation either. I thought that rude. But I'm letting it go.

A lot of my work--I lock up and don't display because I KNOW that it can be misunderstood and misconstrued even by folks friendly to me!  Not as brave as you to post publicly.

I used to think that spin doctors for presidential addresses indicated some malfeasance in his speech. Now I understand that we have different mental filters, like like filters, to interpret the same phenomenon. Therefore we can come to  vastly different understandings based on the same stimuli.

I will say, that IMHO, it's not brig worthy! :-) [That statement alone illustrates what I mean--many of you won't know what that means but he's being thrown in the electronic, not physical, brig for a day for this offense!]

http://www.modelmayhem.com/probationlog.php

Hope all is well in Australia! :-)

You win some, you lose some.

Thank you for your kind welcome, and I can assure you I have not been offended by anyone's statements on this thread. Has he been brigged?

Dec 09 12 12:05 pm Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

sweet gamine wrote:
Welcome to llama Mayhem; looking forward to seeing more from you smile

Thank you smile You will be, very soon!

Dec 09 12 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Posts: 3377

Tempe, Arizona, US

Kiah,

Welcome to MM!

I wish you the Best of Success in all of your future endeavors out here!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Dec 09 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

Kiah Montello

Posts: 9

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

EdwardKristopher wrote:
Kiah,

Welcome to MM!

I wish you the Best of Success in all of your future endeavors out here!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Thanks Edward!

Dec 09 12 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Posts: 3377

Tempe, Arizona, US

Kiah,

You're quite welcome!  I loved looking though your Port as well!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Dec 09 12 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Posts: 15396

Mansfield, Texas, US

Welcome to MM.  As a Gatekeeper, I would have voted yes on your port.  Enjoy the Mayhem.

Dec 09 12 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Posts: 1068

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Kiah Montello wrote:
Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi. I'm an art model based in Sydney Australia and am excited to start shooting again after a short break!

Looking forward to chatting with you all,

Kiah

There is some beauty in the seaweed. I would like to see more:-)

Dec 09 12 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Posts: 2908

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

It works for me.  It's unusual enough, and eyecatching enough, to warrant clicking on, and that's what an avatar should be.

Welcome to MM, OP!

Dec 09 12 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Posts: 21926

Santa Cruz, California, US

Moderator Warning!

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Your unsolicited critique is both rude and against the rules.

Correct. That member, and one other, have already been brigged. Everyone else, please stay on topic, no unsolicited critiques, be nice to newbies, and don't break the rules.

Dec 10 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Posts: 1015

Seattle, Washington, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
This must be Aussie humor at its finest.  Yep...MM will approve any model's appl...even a pile of seaweed or whatever that stuff is that is supposed to be a real person's photograph.

Kiah Montello wrote:
Hi David,

It may not surprise you to learn that my portfolio is building, I am currently awaiting images. I do understand it is not ideal to have only images which obscure my appearance however at this point in time I have no other option. This profile may be new, however I am highly experienced and familiar with the workings of MM. May your bitterness be quelled as my portfolio grows smile

As I stated in my PM to you, I sincerely apologize for my crass comment.  I did not perceive your model status for what it was.  Your artwork is both original and insightful, and I hope to see more of it.  And thank you for accepting my apology.  I wish you the very best.  David.

Dec 10 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

JT_Shim

Posts: 142

Longwood, Florida, US

Kiah Montello wrote:
Thank you for your kind welcome, and I can assure you I have not been offended
by anyone's statements on this thread. Has he been brigged?

Yes, the sentence went from 1 to 4 days! Double jeapardy!
But released on appeal. :-)

We all have to start somewhere. I wish you well and look forward to seeing more of you :-)

Dec 11 12 04:58 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Posts: 1778

Saco, Maine, US

Dear Kiah,
   Hi and welcome to Model Mayhem.
   Happy to have you have join us. There can never, ever, be enough professional fine art nude models in the world, so, glad to have you!

Dec 11 12 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Posts: 105

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

Let's get back to the positive folks.

Kiah, welcome back into the modeling world. I wish you the best of success in your career.

Best,
Bob
Learn more about modeling at..
http://www.bobpardue.com/model/school/

Dec 11 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Posts: 608

Portland, Oregon, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
As I stated in my PM to you, I sincerely apologize for my crass comment.  I did not perceive your model status for what it was.  Your artwork is both original and insightful, and I hope to see more of it.  And thank you for accepting my apology.  I wish you the very best.  David.

MM, like any other similar site, is all about what you make out of it. It's best function is for sheer networking to not only find "paying" gigs, but also for making invaluable contacts.

Like they say, it's not only WHAT you know but also WHO you know.

Good luck. smile

Joel

Dec 18 12 09:05 am Link