Forums > Critique > Ask me anything.

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Bored in my hotel room and too tired to go anywhere. Ask me anything. Warning: I'm not always nice and you may not like what I have to say.

Reopen. I don't want to do homework. Help me procrastinate.

Dec 13 12 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Posts: 5466

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Working on this new website. What do you think of the layout and while you are looking what do you think of the photos in the "Portfolio" gallery?

http://danknafophotography.com/

Dec 13 12 06:03 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
Working on this new website. What do you think of the layout and while you are looking what do you think of the photos?

http://danknafophotography.com/

First thing I notice is there is no "about me" or bio section. IF I AM A CLIENT HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?!

Hate the negative space on the right side of you home screen.

Also, I've been waiting on your images to load since I started typing this.

When your work is good, it's really, really good, but I question why you included some images that drag down the quality of everything else. Cull that sucker ruthlessly.

Dec 13 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

fullmetalphotographer

Posts: 2788

Fresno, California, US

So which of theses three shots do you like better and why?

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090722/09/4a6743cde111c_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080220/04/47bbeed933a5d_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090124/09/497b4e7f6e237_m.jpg

Dec 13 12 06:10 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4115

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm curious to know how you feel of my current portfolio and what next direction I should be seeking.

Dec 13 12 06:10 pm Link

Model

Jojo West

Posts: 972

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Since we're on the subject. I just started working on my website...thoughts so far?

www.jojowest.com

Dec 13 12 06:10 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Posts: 1724

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Your portfolio is amazing.
What do you think of my portfolio? How do you think I should improve? (please tell both good and bad)

Dec 13 12 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Posts: 4122

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I'll ask your opinion on my portfolio -  any way you like - over all,  general perception,  an image or images, whatever strikes you - carte blanche - and hope it helps with the boredom

Dec 13 12 06:13 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:
So which of theses three shots do you like better and why?

None of the above. Learn to control your lighting, stop Photoshopping everything to death, and choose better models.

Dec 13 12 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 4603

Jacksonville, Florida, US

will the world end in 12/21/12 ?

Dec 13 12 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
Bored in my hotel room and too tired to go anywhere. Ask me anything. Warning: I'm not always nice and you may not like what I have to say.

I'll go for the next 30 or so minutes. Go.

What wine do you wish you had right now ?

Dec 13 12 06:17 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

IDiivil wrote:
I'm curious to know how you feel of my current portfolio and what next direction I should be seeking.

You're one of my favorite models on here. bunny

Now that we got that out of the way, I have some issues with some of the stuff in your portfolio. For instance....
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30920797
Your head and foot are cut off, and wtf? Wronkled, wronkled backdrop?! yikes It may be an okay image of you, but I can't get past the technical flaws, so I don't care how attached you are to it, that shit needs to go.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30920695
Meh compared to the rest of your portfolio. Your arms seem to be the focal point.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30941760 18+
Another one that's just meh compared to the rest of your work.

More of this please:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29171941
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30483304

I'd realllly like to see you shoot some high end beauty.

Dec 13 12 06:22 pm Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3860

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How is my overall port right right now?

Anything you would add/change?

Dec 13 12 06:22 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

What wine do you wish you had right now ?

Any. I will tfWine delivery right now. I am in Rochester if anyone wants to take me up on that. And I'll love you forever.

Dec 13 12 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

JCB522

Posts: 50

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Off topic:
1. How do you feel about how Canada handled the F35 procurement

Industry topic:
2. Do you feel a photographer should show a wide array of images in their port to show that they're dynamic or focus more on a style to show that they're refined

Dec 13 12 06:26 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Jojo West wrote:
Since we're on the subject. I just started working on my website...thoughts so far?

www.jojowest.com

Holy Jesus, did the world end and it's 1998 again? Think simplicity. You're not 12, your name shouldn't be purple or in a stupid font.

unless you have stunning work, my clothes don't come off for free.

What in the fucking fuck? If you expect to be taken seriously, delete this now.

And you should totally be taking your clothes off for free to get some decent work in your portfolio. Delete everything in your portfolio and start over.

Dec 13 12 06:26 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4115

Los Angeles, California, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
You're one of my favorite llamas on here. bunny

Now that we got that out of the way, I have some issues with some of the stuff in your portfolio. For instance....
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30920797
Your head and foot are cut off, and wtf? Wronkled, wronkled backdrop?! yikes It may be an okay image of you, but I can't get past the technical flaws, so I don't care how attached you are to it, that shit needs to go.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30920695
Meh compared to the rest of your portfolio. Your arms seem to be the focal point.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30941760 18
Another one that's just meh compared to the rest of your work.

More of this please:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29171941
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30483304

I'd realllly like to see you shoot some high end beauty.

Thanks for the tips. I value your opinion, so I'm going to screw around with my portfolio and see if I can't make those changes ;P

Also, I hope to have high end beauty to post soon. Waiting on a publication to go through so I can actually post them online smile

Dec 13 12 06:28 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

Posts: 4058

New York, New York, US

What other directions should I head? Any words of wisdom appreciated smile

Dec 13 12 06:30 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Samantha Emme wrote:
Your portfolio is amazing.
What do you think of my portfolio? How do you think I should improve? (please tell both good and bad)

Spanks! smile

Bio: I don't care if you're married, and photographers wanting to work with you don't either. I am not an advocate of having your rates on your profile.

Your avatar does not serve you well; it looks awful in thumbnail, and I never would have clicked on your profile if you hadn't asked me to.

I am pleasantly surprised by your portfolio though. A lot of your poses, especially in your full body shots looked forced, awkward, or uncomfortable, and you have a tendency to look like you're sneering in some of your older work.

Dec 13 12 06:32 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

IDiivil wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I value your opinion, so I'm going to screw around with my portfolio and see if I can't make those changes ;P

Also, I hope to have high end beauty to post soon. Waiting on a publication to go through so I can actually post them online smile

borat

Pot, meet kettle: my portfolio needs a serious culling too, I'm just too lazy to do it lol

Dec 13 12 06:32 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Posts: 1724

Nashville, Tennessee, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

Spanks! smile

Bio: I don't care if you're married, and photographers wanting to work with you don't either. I am not an advocate of having your rates on your profile.

Your avatar does not serve you well; it looks awful in thumbnail, and I never would have clicked on your profile if you hadn't asked me to.

I am pleasantly surprised by your portfolio though. A lot of your poses, especially in your full body shots looked forced, awkward, or uncomfortable, and you have a tendency to look like you're sneering in some of your older work.

Thank you very much! (also thank you for having mercy on me lol!)

Dec 13 12 06:35 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
I'll ask your opinion on my portfolio -  any way you like - over all,  general perception,  an image or images, whatever strikes you - carte blanche - and hope it helps with the boredom

The quality of your work is unpredictable; some is wonderful, especially your fashion stuff, other stuff is......wtf were you thinking? Such as.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30825400
WHY IS HER BEAUTIFUL FACE DARK?! yikes

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30877320
Bad hair, makeup, framing, crop, post, and flat lighting.

Pick a genre, stick with it, and get better at it.

Dec 13 12 06:36 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
will the world end in 12/21/12 ?

I have no wine right now. It may as well end.

Dec 13 12 06:37 pm Link

Model

Maruschke

Posts: 543

Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand

I know my port still needs alot of work and I am going to pay someone to give me decent shots but do you think I have a good enough look?

and do you have any genre you think I would be good at?

Dec 13 12 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

BlueMoonPics

Posts: 4429

New York, New York, US

Oh wise and pretty soothsayer...
What should I delete from my portfolio?

Dec 13 12 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 4603

Jacksonville, Florida, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
I have no wine right now. It may as well end.

I will toast a glass in remembrance of you dear, goodnight smile

Dec 13 12 06:42 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
How is my overall port right right now?

Anything you would add/change?

How is your boat? Your alcoholic beverage? Your software? Ooooooh, you meant portfolio.

You have a solid book, well done. I would like to see more risk taking in your posing.Some of your work just looks like "hot naked chick just standing there," which, while cool, is repetitive.

Dec 13 12 06:43 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

JCB522 wrote:
Off topic:
1. How do you feel about how Canada handled the F35 procurement

Wait, you mean to tell me Canada has a military? yikes

Industry topic:
2. Do you feel a photographer should show a wide array of images in their port to show that they're dynamic or focus more on a style to show that they're refined

I prefer a photographer to be amazing at one particular style/genre, and then perfect that, rather than being mediocre/decent at a variety of genres.

Dec 13 12 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Posts: 5466

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

First thing I notice is there is no "about me" or bio section. IF I AM A CLIENT HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?!

Hate the negative space on the right side of you home screen.

Also, I've been waiting on your images to load since I started typing this.

When your work is good, it's really, really good, but I question why you included some images that drag down the quality of everything else. Cull that sucker ruthlessly.

Still working on the website. I will make sure to have that info. smile

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dec 13 12 06:50 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Paige Morgan wrote:
What other directions should I head? Any words of wisdom appreciated smile

You're awesome.

If you must have tears in your portfolio, move them to bottom; none of them are flattering or showcase you as a model (also why I have none of my tears in my portfolio).

Keep on keeping on in the edgy (OMG I can't believe I just typed that word), gritty fashioney stuff.

Dec 13 12 06:50 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Maruschke wrote:
I know my port still needs alot of work and I am going to pay someone to give me decent shots but do you think I have a good enough look?

and do you have any genre you think I would be good at?

Sigh........I so don't wanna type this, I'm not really a mean person, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors by blowing smoke up your ass.

Don't pay someone. You have a cute face, keep modeling as a hobby. Unless you start doing nudes, you don't have what it takes to make it in this industry full time, or to recoup the expense of hiring someone. Unless you have a metric fuckton of money, then hire away, and send me some too.

Dec 13 12 06:54 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

Posts: 4058

New York, New York, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
You're awesome.

If you must have tears in your portfolio, move them to bottom; none of them are flattering or showcase you as a llama (also why I have none of my tears in my portfolio).

Keep on keeping on in the edgy (OMG I can't believe I just typed that word), gritty fashioney stuff.

Duly noted and appreciated. Time to wait 5 minutes for the damn "organize photos" to load smile

Dec 13 12 06:56 pm Link

Model

Maruschke

Posts: 543

Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand

B R E N N A N wrote:

Sigh........I so don't wanna type this, I'm not really a mean person, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors by blowing smoke up your ass.

Don't pay someone. You have a cute face, keep modeling as a hobby. Unless you start doing nudes, you don't have what it takes to make it in this industry full time, or to recoup the expense of hiring someone. Unless you have a metric fuckton of money, then hire away, and send me some too.

hahaha thanx big_smile

yep doing it as a hobby because of my short ass lol

thank you for the advice big_smile

Dec 13 12 06:56 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Oh wise and pretty soothsayer...
What should I delete from my portfolio?

Everything after the 3rd row.

You want to work commercially? This missing details shit will not fly:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22102261
Bright as the day is long is a hair tie on her wrist.

Dec 13 12 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

and then I see you're done.

Dec 13 12 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

BlueMoonPics

Posts: 4429

New York, New York, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

Everything after the 3rd row.

You want to work commercially? This missing details shit will not fly:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22102261
Bright as the day is long is a hair tie on her wrist.

Thanks for the advice!
What's funny is that I didn't know what that thing was on her wrist at the time I took the shot and later uploaded it.  I thought it was a bracelet of sorts. lol

Dec 13 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

Jojo West

Posts: 972

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

Jojo West wrote:
Since we're on the subject. I just started working on my website...thoughts so far?

www.jojowest.com

Holy Jesus, did the world end and it's 1998 again? Think simplicity. You're not 12, your name shouldn't be purple or in a stupid font.


What in the fucking fuck? If you expect to be taken seriously, delete this now.

And you should totally be taking your clothes off for free to get some decent work in your portfolio. Delete everything in your portfolio and start over.

Lol, thanks.

Dec 13 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Posts: 4122

Alexandria, Virginia, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

The quality of your work is unpredictable; some is wonderful, especially your fashion stuff, other stuff is......wtf were you thinking? Such as.....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30825400
WHY IS HER BEAUTIFUL FACE DARK?! yikes

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30877320
Bad hair, makeup, framing, crop, post, and flat lighting.

Pick a genre, stick with it, and get better at it.

Hi   B R E N N A N -

on the first image - because I was trying to be too artsy about it lol - but her beautiful face is all over my port in other shots smile    point well taken

on the second -   um,, yeah - you're right

and on the advice -   really good actually -  but I don't *want" to pick just one genre lol

Thank you for the critique - you were very kind actually

Cheers

Dec 13 12 08:39 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Posts: 4139

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Back at it for a little bit. Go.

Dec 17 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Posts: 3372

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What should I shoot next?

Dec 17 12 05:35 pm Link