Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I need help on what I should do in the future!

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So I have had a photographer ask me twice now to do hair and makeup for a shoot. The first time she told me the day of that the model didn't want hair and makeup done because she was having to crunch time and today she had scheduled a boudoir shoot that originally had two girls. One of the girls rescheduled for sometime in January and the second girl was going to do it today. The photographer contacted me today and said the place she had scheduled to use was her sister in laws house and that her sister in law said she couldn't use the house today so the model ended up rescheduling. So I have spent money on buying product and cleared my schedule. I was suppose to get paid for both girls and over the last 3 days it has gone down to $0 dollars. What should I do to guarantee I get what was agreed the day it was agreed on?

Dec 16 12 09:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Chudomelova

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

*takes out her pen and notebook and sits down next to Brittany for the lecture from the senior artists MUA Deities*

Dec 16 12 10:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Linda Chudomelova wrote:
*takes out her pen and notebook and sits down next to Brittany for the lecture from the senior artists MUA Deities*

Does the lecture follow this post?

Dec 16 12 11:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carmen Make up and Hair

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When you reschedule with this particular team, ask for a deposit?  I know it's not common practice, but it may be beneficial in this particular situation..

Dec 16 12 11:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Carmen Rachel MUA wrote:
When you reschedule with this particular team, ask for a deposit?  I know it's not common practice, but it may be beneficial in this particular situation..

Yea I wasn't sure as to how I should go about asking for the deposit seeing as the fault wasn't really with the models. I usually ask for a deposit from clients that hire me directly for projects. If I am hired by the photographer should I get in contact with the model and set up a meet up just to go over the idea of what looks they are wanting and ask for a deposit?

Dec 16 12 11:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

make-upbynatalie

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

Get a non refundable deposit from the person hiring you and once that's in the bank then arrange to meet to talk about looks etc.

I always get deposits up front before I discuss looks etc in depth for shoots as my knowledge and experience is worth paying for and I don't want to waste my time on someone that has no intention of booking.

Dec 16 12 01:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

make-upbynatalie wrote:
Get a non refundable deposit from the person hiring you and once that's in the bank then arrange to meet to talk about looks etc.

I always get deposits up front before I discuss looks etc in depth for shoots as my knowledge and experience is worth paying for and I don't want to waste my time on someone that has no intention of booking.

If the llama keeps the shoot and books and the photographer is at fault what would I do then? s/he (photographer) backed out last minute because she didn't secure the location. Seeing as it was beyond mine and the llamas control I refunded her (the llama) deposit but I feel like the photographer should pay something because she is the reason why the shoot is cancelled.

Dec 16 12 01:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

New York, New York, US

Most deal memos include a clause stating that if shoot is cancelled within 48 hours of the planned shoot day, half or full payment will be made to you. Unfortunately because the model is paying you and it wasn't her fault for the cancellation, you might be out of luck. But it would be worth a try to write a polite email to the photographer breaking down how much time and cost goes into you booking said shoot and ask if s/he is willing to pay you something for your lost payment.

Dec 16 12 02:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jaime Criel Makeup wrote:
Most deal memos include a clause stating that if shoot is cancelled within 48 hours of the planned shoot day, half or full payment will be made to you. Unfortunately because the model is paying you and it wasn't her fault for the cancellation, you might be out of luck. But it would be worth a try to write a polite email to the photographer breaking down how much time and cost goes into you booking said shoot and ask if s/he is willing to pay you something for your lost payment.

Thank you. I will take my time and write that email. Thank you so much that really does clear up things.

Dec 16 12 02:31 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

If something *special* was required for the shoot, then the Deal Memo should cover including a line item for reimbursement and a rescheduling fee.

If the supplies are Normal for a standard kit - then that's the cost of doing business.... because those items should be in the kit in the first place.

Dec 16 12 04:01 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

In la if they cancell with less than 24 hours of the shoot time they pay half your rate Asa cancelation fee.    You had to mark off.  Possibly lost another job you could have booked in that time slot ect

If you have a good relationship with this photographer talk to him and ask if je can get you a cancelation fee .......

Dec 16 12 04:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

inese

Los Angeles, California, US

You have to have some kind of contract/policy to prevent yourself from something like this happening. Maybe next time take deposit, but if it's a common practice with this photographer just don't work with him.

Dec 21 12 04:45 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

Mary

Coronado, California, US

From model shoots....(non commericial clients) I would take a non-refundable deposit to hold the day, with a 24 hour cancellation clause.  They would be refunded  if they gave me over 24 hour notice.

Here is the issue with that.... You will book less gigs because usually deep down flakes like to keep their option to flake wide open.  The people that do book you and leave a deposit will follow through.  I think it's a no-brainer.... If you want to work seriously in this business you have to protect your time with their money. 
'
I have been preaching this for years, people are afraid to do it because they know their booking will go down.  People prefer to gamble, take their chances on a maybe booking over nothing.  That's not good business but that's how most newbies operate.

I take a pay pal deposit.... I don't just expect people to pay me a cancellation fee. They probably won't follow through.

Dec 21 12 10:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Young MUA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mary wrote:
From model shoots....(non commericial clients) I would take a non-refundable deposit to hold the day, with a 24 hour cancellation clause.  They would be refunded  if they gave me over 24 hour notice.

Here is the issue with that.... You will book less gigs because usually deep down flakes like to keep their option to flake wide open.  The people that do book you and leave a deposit will follow through.  I think it's a no-brainer.... If you want to work seriously in this business you have to protect your time with their money. 
'
I have been preaching this for years, people are afraid to do it because they know their booking will go down.  People prefer to gamble, take their chances on a maybe booking over nothing.  That's not good business but that's how most newbies operate.

I take a pay pal deposit.... I don't just expect people to pay me a cancellation fee. They probably won't follow through.

I like this idea a lot! I'm going to set up a pay pal account and require a deposit. Is it apart of the actual payment? so the day of you get the remainder of the total?

Dec 22 12 04:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

make-upbynatalie

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

Brittany Young MUA wrote:

I like this idea a lot! I'm going to set up a pay pal account and require a deposit. Is it apart of the actual payment? so the day of you get the remainder of the total?

On the day you would get the remainder of the total cost of the booking.

I ask for a 50% non refundale deposit and the remainder 50% before i start via credit/debit card or by cash.

Dec 23 12 01:49 am Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

Mary

Coronado, California, US

Brittany Young MUA wrote:

I rarely work with non commercial or editorial clients anymore but when I did... I never booked the date without payment for the entire day in full.  The reason.. I don't want to deal with personal checks on the day I work and I have no intention of begging for money after working my rear end off all day...I also have no intention of holding my breath until a check clears...... I would rather be paid and done with weeks before I show up.  I make the rules in my world...and as arrogant as that sounds, it works for me....  You have to choose what kind of business you're going to run... I don't like to lose my time... so I make sure upfront that it won't happen.  You make the rules in your business.....if people don't want to play by them they will move on to the next artist who will. You have to be willing to say goodbye to a certain type of client.

Dec 23 12 09:28 pm Link