Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Start freelancering

Retoucher

ChristinaYu

Posts: 73

Haifa, Haifa, Israel

Hey people!
How to start working from home?
What do you think? if somebody can share your story

Dec 20 12 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Posts: 145

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's just a matter of putting yourself out there for the intended customers to find you and working out of your home. If you have the proper setup, its possible.

Dec 20 12 05:26 am Link

Retoucher

Klemens Oezelt

Posts: 35

Vienna, Wien, Austria

at first - higher your rates...
as i see on your profile page you charge around 1-4 $ per image...
i wonder how you survive? - do you even eat? wink

Dec 20 12 06:09 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Posts: 3883

Santa Cruz, California, US

First thing I would recommend is to have clear understanding of what being a freelancer is, because being a freelance retoucher is not the same thing as being a retoucher.

Start with understanding the requirements and terminology by reading pages like this one. http://freelanceswitch.com/

...and than blend the freelance mindset with the retouching skills. Because you are not required to only retoucher, that is taken for granted. What you need to be proficient in is also,; networking, marketing yourself, building a personal brand, pricing strategy, selling and few other things.

Dec 20 12 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Posts: 145

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Klemens Oezelt wrote:
at first - higher your rates...
as i see on your profile page you charge around 1-4 $ per image...
i wonder how you survive? - do you even eat? wink

Well, they quoted USD for their rates. I'm guessing that after currency exchange rates are applied, $1-4 per image in USD is sufficient where they're from. Even so, that's still really low.

Dec 20 12 06:21 am Link

Retoucher

Ca-retouching

Posts: 18

Webster, Texas, US

I have went the route going to the freelancer site.Its heartbreaking!!! I have recieved one job in 3 months since I have joined three top freelancing sites.I don't know if I'm bidding wrong or my work isn't what they are looking for.In the meantime..Im practing and putting my best foot forward and trying to learn how to market myself.Yes, I bid low becouse im learning and gaining experience.
Please do not look at profile and tell me I need more practice(I have already stated that)

Dec 20 12 06:43 am Link

Retoucher

ChristinaYu

Posts: 73

Haifa, Haifa, Israel

Sean Alexandre wrote:

Well, they quoted USD for their rates. I'm guessing that after currency exchange rates are applied, $1-4 per image in USD is sufficient where they're from. Even so, that's still really low.

I just felt hopeless about finding some potential clients, and thought that maybe i'll start with some simple color corrections and retouch that I could make with actions, which will save my timeб therefore I offered service starting from 1$, and in my country that about 5 minutes of regular salary)

Dec 20 12 06:51 am Link

Retoucher

ChristinaYu

Posts: 73

Haifa, Haifa, Israel

Ca-retouching wrote:
I have went the route going to the freelancer site.Its heartbreaking!!! I have recieved one job in 3 months since I have joined three top freelancing sites.I don't know if I'm bidding wrong or my work isn't what they are looking for.In the meantime..Im practing and putting my best foot forward and trying to learn how to market myself.Yes, I bid low becouse im learning and gaining experience.
Please do not look at profile and tell me I need more practice(I have already stated that)

I do understand you so much, being in the same position...
Also in freelancers sites there is too much competition with a real sharks!
Not good place to start

Dec 20 12 06:54 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Posts: 717

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
First thing I would recommend is to have clear understanding of what being a freelancer is, because being a freelance retoucher is not the same thing as being a retoucher.

Start with understanding the requirements and terminology by reading pages like this one. http://freelanceswitch.com/

...and than blend the freelance mindset with the retouching skills. Because you are not required to only retoucher, that is taken for granted. What you need to be proficient in is also,; networking, marketing yourself, building a personal brand, pricing strategy, selling and few other things.

+1

What also would like to say is that retouching is not just removing blemishes or colour corrections, there are so many other qualities you should have. Your client is not just looking for someone to fix/work on his/her images they also need someone that can help with input on the creativity side of things, fix or come up with solutions for challenges that could rise and so on.

In my opinion Sean, and don't take this in the wrong way, I don't think your port is strong enough. As Kruno said, you should define your service a bit more, practice, get better at it and then maybe jump into this new amazing world. But I would suggest first to work further on your skills, there are so many retouchers out there offering your rates with higher/better skills.

Sorry just trying to make it easier to understand for you. And trust me the beginning isn't easy at all. Remember you will have to make enough money to pay for sick days, holidays and so on...

Hope this helped!!

J

Dec 20 12 10:42 am Link

Digital Artist

Andreea Cernestean

Posts: 495

Baia Mare, Maramureş, Romania

Xtina1306 wrote:

I just felt hopeless about finding some potential clients, and thought that maybe i'll start with some simple color corrections and retouch that I could make with actions, which will save my timeб therefore I offered service starting from 1$, and in my country that about 5 minutes of regular salary)

This is where you are wrong. Doing 5 min sloppy work for a quick buck won't get you far as a freelanced retoucher.

Practice as much as you can for now, without expecting any monetary gain from it momentarily, since you still have ways to go before finding solid paid work. Learn more, build your portfolio and if work doesn't come your way with no effort, start advertising yourself and pitching your portfolio and services to photographers/magazines/etc. You will likely not hear back from 80% of them, but even the 20% is good enough to get you started.

Dec 20 12 10:52 am Link