Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Judge My Portfolio!

Photographer

Sedition

Buffalo, New York, US

Just curious as to what people think. Since pic comments tend to always be positive feedback without any critique I figured I would make a thread here.

Dec 22 12 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Do people pay money for that?

Dec 22 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sedition

Buffalo, New York, US

Guss W wrote:
Do people pay money for that?

no, not at all...

Dec 22 12 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

RogerLeonPhoto

Tucson, Arizona, US

Keep at it brother, every day if you can.  Good luck.

Dec 22 12 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

In all honesty, if you are experienced at concert and landscape photography, you should probably post a couple of those shots to show your ability as a photographer. Granted, they won't be photos of models but it should at least let viewers know that you know how to focus, compose, and expose properly.

Your profile states that you are 'experienced.' Based on what I see in your port, you are not experienced at model photography. This is Model Mayhem, primarily catering to models, model photographers, MUA's, etc.

Practice shooting models. Experiment with light, not dark. Experiment with focusing. After spending some time doing this, post some of the results and ask for critique again. You should get more positive results.

Dec 22 12 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Veit Photo

London, England, United Kingdom

L Bass wrote:
In all honesty, if you are experienced at concert and landscape photography, you should probably post a couple of those shots to show your ability as a photographer.

Not sure about this. Why is it better to have a portfolio of photos irrelevant to a fashion website than poor on-subject photos?

As for the OP, I can see a sense of humour at work in these images, an attempt at images that jump out of the frame at the viewer, an interest in deep shadows, story telling though focus, figure and ground separation... all good photographic instincts from my perspective.

Perhaps the technical side isn't quite there, clarity of vision not refined, the lighting inconsistent, post production non-existent and composition quite basic. But maybe it's more important to start with a positive feeling that things can be said with a camera and not merely reproduced.

Maybe I should be more constructive? Learning to light will let you make more seductive images - but some people get sucked into this and lose their ability to tell stories. For example me.
Composition is maybe a better area to focus, to refine your storytelling skills in portraiture.

Dec 22 12 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sedition

Buffalo, New York, US

Veit Photo wrote:

Not sure about this. Why is it better to have a portfolio of photos irrelevant to a fashion website than poor on-subject photos?

As for the OP, I can see a sense of humour at work in these images, an attempt at images that jump out of the frame at the viewer, an interest in deep shadows, story telling though focus, figure and ground separation... all good photographic instincts from my perspective.

Perhaps the technical side isn't quite there, clarity of vision not refined, the lighting inconsistent, post production non-existent and composition quite basic. But maybe it's more important to start with a positive feeling that things can be said with a camera and not merely reproduced.

Maybe I should be more constructive? Learning to light will let you make more seductive images - but some people get sucked into this and lose their ability to tell stories. For example me.
Composition is maybe a better area to focus, to refine your storytelling skills in portraiture.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Dec 22 12 04:37 pm Link