Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > new logo and simple site design

Photographer

Shane C Reed

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

i decided to ditch my old website with lots of moving parts (flash) and go with a more simplistic look (html) that makes my work the main attraction.  Do you think this minimalistic approach will appeal to potential clients?  Also re branded with a new logo.  clean and simple as well... i realize everyone won't like it but what are your thoughts?
any suggestions or changes you would make... always great to get some constructive input

http://www.reedphoto.ca/

Dec 30 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

Not bad. I don't know if I'm a big fan of slideshows on front pages... but if you have one, be absolutely sure that you put your very very best pictures on it to keep people interested.

Dec 30 12 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

I also think the slide changes are about a second too slow. If you could speed it up a tad, I would. Best of luck.

Dec 30 12 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shane C Reed

thanks for the feedback Matt and I agree the slideshow did need a bit more speed.

Dec 30 12 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shane C Reed

any other thoughts?

Dec 31 12 10:53 am Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

slide 5 is a much stronger wedding shot than any of the others.

i clicked info and got a blank page. not off to a good start.

then i hovered over info and chose "about" from the drop-down menu. are you sure you want to lead off with talking about your religion? im not sure that's the best business decision, but i guess it's up to you. seems like a good way to lose customers, to me.

why am i reading your thoughts on velour? is this the best way to pitch yourself to potential customers who are looking to spend thousands?

the next option says "investment" - you're giving me prices after only showing me 7 images... and not even 7 wedding images.

i could go on, but i think that's enough for now.

Jan 02 13 01:10 am Link

Photographer

SYCF

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally I would take out the camera icon and separator, I don't think it's needed for the website. But if you're using it as your brand mark, I would take out the separator, and make either Reed or the camera 75% smaller. I see you're making them the same height, but it looks a bit heavy handed to me right now. Check out here to see some of the icon to type size relations here: http://www.logolounge.com/article/2010t … OiR97TDMZM

I also agree about having the about you and your religion as the first page, that should be one of the last links imo. Personally I closed the browser tab as soon as I saw the religion part, but that's just me.

Jan 05 13 12:54 pm Link