Forums > Photography Talk > Transfer images wirelessly from iMac to iPad

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

I shoot with a Sony a850, and had absolutely horrible luck with an eye fye card in a cf adapter ( it never worked right) for a straight link between camera and iPad . I am used to shooting tethered w/cord to my iMac for product and food in the studio anyway, so is there a simple solution like an app ( maybe shutter snitch?) that will let me shoot tethered to iMac, then over wifi between it and my iPad pop up the image pretty quick without a lot of fuss?

I'd love to give the AD on set my iPad for previews so they aren't directly in my "bubble" or knocking around a setup that needs to not move a mm for any reason between frames, but Sony doesn't have a wireless option like canons wft adaptor to transfer small jpgs straight to the iPad from the camera. ANY help appreciated..

Jan 02 13 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jason J Photography wrote:
I shoot with a Sony a850, and had absolutely horrible luck with an eye fye card in a cf adapter ( it never worked right) for a straight link between camera and iPad . I am used to shooting tethered w/cord to my iMac for product and food in the studio anyway, so is there a simple solution like an app ( maybe shutter snitch?) that will let me shoot tethered to iMac, then over wifi between it and my iPad pop up the image pretty quick without a lot of fuss?

I'd love to give the AD on set my iPad for previews so they aren't directly in my "bubble" or knocking around a setup that needs to not move a mm for any reason between frames, but Sony doesn't have a wireless option like canons wft adaptor to transfer small jpgs straight to the iPad from the camera. ANY help appreciated..

are you looking to be wirelessly tethered to your iMac? or via a cable?  If you are used to shooting with a cable to your Mac, then getting it synced ->your iPad there are plenty of solutions out there.  if you want to go direct to the iPad, not so much. I saw something for android  but it looked dubious and wouldnt help you.

Jan 02 13 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

Until Sony comes out with a wireless option I am cord tethered from camera to iMac. I want to try and make a wireless connection between my iMac and iPad so the art director/ other publishing staff can wander the studio or at least not have a group sit within 6 ft of me to watch my iMac as well. I do food and tabletop product photos this way so it's LOW volume of images.

It's a workaround I know but Sony leaves me no choice on that. I'd love to have an option like canon wft tx, so I could just tether the camera to the iPad but its not an option for me

Jan 02 13 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Until Sony comes out with a wireless option I am cord tethered from camera to iMac. I want to try and make a wireless connection between my iMac and iPad so the art director/ other publishing staff can wander the studio or at least not have a group sit within 6 ft of me to watch my iMac as well. I do food and tabletop product photos this way so it's LOW volume of images.

It's a workaround I know but Sony leaves me no choice on that. I'd love to have an option like canon wft tx, so I could just tether the camera to the iPad but its not an option for me

I may be missing something obvious but if it's just from the mac to the iPad, any reason you can't use iTunes?

Jan 02 13 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Isn't the I -pad Bluetooth capable? The I-mac is.

Jan 02 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

Isn't the I -pad Bluetooth capable? The I-mac is.

he's looking for the app, not the transport.

Jan 02 13 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
he's looking for the app, not the transport.

For an I-pad... I see.

OP: imagine that I know someone at Apple... What do you want the app to do?

Jan 02 13 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

For an I-pad... I see.

i work with macs. I dont play with them. so I'm hardly the expert. but it seems to me that iTunes should do it. If not, then one of the many sync apps would work.

Jan 02 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

chbphoto

Los Angeles, California, US

you can use Airdisplay to set your iPad as a second (wireless) monitor for the iMac. If you tether into Lightroom - then simply activate the second screen - you're in business

Jan 02 13 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

chbphoto wrote:
you can use Airdisplay to set your iPad as a second (wireless) monitor for the iMac. If you tether into Lightroom - then simply activate the second screen - you're in business

I was wondering if this would work with Aperture.

Jan 02 13 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

LANMAN

New York, New York, US

If you were using Capture One to tether to the iMac, there's a specific app on an iPad called Capture Pilot. Just throwing that out there.

Jan 02 13 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Pierce

Dayton, Ohio, US

Camera > hardwire > iMac (DropBox Watch folder) > WiFi > DropBox Service > iPad

Have Aperture / Lightroom / etc. store incoming files in a DropBox subdirectory on your iMac. Hand your Assistant Director the iPad with the DropBox app running and they can tap on each new file as it comes in. Files appear in seconds.

I use a wireless card solution myself, but this works just the same. And I did a successful test in mere seconds just before making this solution.

Sometimes we don't need to over think a solution because simplicity is right in front of us. Good luck to you.

Jan 02 13 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

Richard Pierce wrote:
Camera > hardwire > iMac (DropBox Watch folder) > WiFi > DropBox Service > iPad

Have Aperture / Lightroom / etc. store incoming files in a DropBox subdirectory on your iMac. Hand your Assistant Director the iPad with the DropBox app running and they can tap on each new file as it comes in. Files appear in seconds.

I use a wireless card solution myself, but this works just the same. And I did a successful test in mere seconds just before making this solution.

Sometimes we don't need to over think a solution because simplicity is right in front of us. Good luck to you.

Hmm I didn't think about Dropbox..my only concern would be about 1/3 of the time, I do not have "outside" Internet connection. This would rely on everything being able to talk to Dropbox's servers. I shoot tethered to Sony's IDC because no 3rd party software like Lightroom or capture one supports native Sony tethering that I am aware of.

Along the other lines, will iTunes sync wirelessly to a device? I've never docked any of my devices to the Mac, I just set them up to iCloud.

Jan 03 13 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

l-l-l wrote:
If you were using Capture One to tether to the iMac, there's a specific app on an iPad called Capture Pilot. Just throwing that out there.

Just picked up an iPad and will be trying that out this week (it was one of the reasons for getting it).  From what I've seen, it works well.

Jan 03 13 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

chbphoto wrote:

Is this an app?

Jan 03 13 07:42 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I shoot tethered to Sony's IDC because no 3rd party software like Lightroom or capture one supports native Sony tethering that I am aware of.

Ive never tried any of them but there are several plugins for Lightroom 3 and 4 that support tethering of Sony 850 and 900.  DNA seems to be popular but since I have not tried it I can't say how good or bad it is.

Jan 03 13 08:07 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Is this an app?

It's part of the latest OS X and iOS

Jan 03 13 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

Ive never tried any of them but there are several plugins for Lightroom 3 and 4 that support tethering of Sony 850 and 900.  DNA seems to be popular but since I have not tried it I can't say how good or bad it is.

Thanks I will look into those. Right now I shoot to a folder watched by Lightroom. It works well but the 24mp raw files do cause some lag between the transfer, copy/import. Not that it's a huge issue but one less program and a couple less steps would be good.

Jan 03 13 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Oh? I should keep up with this stuff more. I just go buy a new device and get it to do something for me and leave it at that usually lol. I'm not a big time " explorer" that tries out all the stuff it can do lol

Jan 03 13 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Really? I couldn't find anything about it in the Mac help menu, so I googled it: http://avatron.com/apps/air-display which claims it is an app.

Jan 03 13 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Jason J Photography

Mesquite, Texas, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:

Really? I couldn't find anything about it in the Mac help menu, so I googled it: http://avatron.com/apps/air-display which claims it is an app.

Yeah that's what I got too after googling it. And the app doesn't have very good reviews either.

Jan 03 13 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Yeah that's what I got too after googling it. And the app doesn't have very good reviews either.

iDisplay looks promising, though a quick glance at the reviews indicates that Mac users are happier than Windows users.

Jan 03 13 11:45 am Link