Forums > Model Colloquy > Reasons for Not Responding- A Model's Perspective

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I respond 95% of the time. The only circumstances in which I don't are when the message is:

-rude or inappropriate
-it appears to be a message sent to a ton of people

Jan 06 13 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

OmnyRa wrote:
-Not enough detail in the request
-Too much detail in the request
-too many friends
-not enough friends
-profile too long
-profile too short
SHEESH! A person can't win for losing.

-The rate is insulting? If an offer is too low, respond with what IS acceptable. It's the professional thing to do and is called "negotiating".

Despite the many reasons for not responding, models or photographers, it still makes you look either arrogant or unprofessional, or both. Many just find not responding to be less trouble than "not interested". That's basically just being chickenshit.  I know, because I've been that before.  The more I dealt with the difficult situations, the better I became at handling them, and the more professional I think I am. That rejection with reason can be a learning experience and can cure a few of the ills that plague us.

Be careful, you are going to be antagonized for having common sense...

Jan 06 13 03:20 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

MnPhoto wrote:
See...there you go again. Projecting behavior in order to try to justify your argument, by pointing out the other person's views come from irate behavior.

This thread is about reasons for not responding, as if they can be justified.

None exist.

You are either well mannered and you respond, or you are ill mannered and ignore people.

Coming up with hair-brained reasons to justify rude behavior does not change the fact that the behavior was rude.

I addressed the OP's points one by one, in order to show what the proper response might be, when you are contacted for the first time by someone.

The other points (Reasons for Ending a Conversation) didn't need any elaboration. It goes without saying that if someone behaves toward you in any manner that is rude, or makes you feel uncomfortable, then you have every right to end a conversation.

I know that there is always some contention between models and photographers when it comes to how they perceive each other, but it is mostly due to miscommunications or just plain rude behavior.

The rude behavior can be intentional, but in my experience it has more to do with people not knowing when they are being rude, as is obvious by some of the comments in this thread.

I am going to quote this, because it think it deserves special attention:

A lack of response is not rude, as I stated earlier. None of the reasons presented in the OP are valid reasons to justify not replying.

One more thing, I wouldn't call new messages "unsolicited", especially when creating a profile here means that you wish to be contacted by the rest of the members.

Believing the world should revolve around your own opinions generally leads to frustration. 

I'm not the one who's frustrated here. 

So you think I'm "ill-mannered" because I don't respond to all of my messages? 
I'll try not to cry myself to sleep tonight.   smile

People have the right to do whatever the hell they feel like, regardless of your opinions.  So sorry that upsets you.....and feel free to continue with your tantrum.  It's really just plain funny.

Jan 06 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
So many MM models shoot themselves in the foot.   The ideal is to build bridges, network, add and grow your portfolio and make money.   Difficult to do if you won't reply or stop suddenly.   If someone has offended you or they fail the 'reference' check or for any other reason you don't want to work with them.   Tell them you're busy.   Tell them you aren't available to shoot or tell them about their poor references but say something .   I know some here are big fans of references but many of the shooters who may offer payment will have no or few references.   

That said.   If you are going to call yourself a professional model then act professionally.   Reply to emails and calls.   If someone is rude or aggressive and or you decide for any reason you no longer want to work with them say so.   If they continue CAM and block them.   A MM model approached me about a shoot.   I replied, nothing.   She then wrote me from a CL ad.   Not knowing it was me.   I wrote her and mentioned her initial tag here.   She said that paid work came first and I was offering TF.   How would she know when she never replied to my message and again she tagged me.    Models do yourself a solid.   Respond to all serious offers, TF or not.   Being in business means being about business.

Your right about business, too bad you don't understand your own advice.
A popular model who is in high demand, can receive upward of 75-100+emails a day.
Time dictates to answer the legitimate offers and ignore the times that are a waste of time and effort to gain a 100.00 day job vs going after the 500.00 day jobs.

Jan 06 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Believing the world should revolve around your own opinions generally leads to frustration. 

I'm not the one who's frustrated here. 

So you think I'm "ill-mannered" because I don't respond to all of my messages? 
I'll try not to cry myself to sleep tonight.   smile

People have the right to do whatever the hell they feel like, regardless of your opinions.  So sorry that upsets you.....and feel free to continue with your tantrum.  It's really just plain funny.

Oh my god.

Is there no level of reading comprehension in your head?
I am not saying that you (as in you - yourself, as opposed to the hypothetical self) have to reply to every message.

You, anyone, not just MelissaAnn whom seems to think that everything is about her, have a right to be rude and not reply. It is not against the law.

I am only saying that giving lame excuses is nothing less than just that... lame.

If there is any level of frustration on my regard, it is the bogus mentality that modernism has to condone rudeness.

I guess we have all of the "modeling" reality shows to thank for that.

Jan 06 13 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Doug, how can I know how someone feels unless they reply.   If I say something that offends you should you not say so?   You have made my comments personal and that saddens me because I thought better of you.   If I ask a model to work with me and she doesn't want too should she ignore that request or reply.   That is the bottom line.   Its not about my being closed minded its if she should reply.   No one is obligated too of course.   My story was too illustrate that my question which meant no harm was taken the wrong way by the model.   A person who apologized to me for going off a few months later.

I didn't say anyone was wrong by the way.   People see things from their own perspectives.   Nor did I say that models don't have anything to teach me.   Again the crux is.   In my view a respectfully asked request deserves a reply.   Even if that reply is to say no thank you.   I am no expert on anything.   Never said I was.   I really did think you were better then this though.   Several months ago a MM model posted how she wanted to shoot with a photographer who she wrote.   He said yes, but she went to the hospital and couldn't reply.   She had read his response and when she didn't write back quickly enough he wrote her again to put her on blast and blocked her so she couldn't explain herself.

When a model doesn't reply there may be many reasons why.   If you don't want to work with someone then say so but ignoring them will have the same effect.   I am a bit sad you made this personal.   I really thought better of you.   So I guess were both disappointed in each other.   I'll avoid you from now on.   Cheers.

I guess I should have taken your approach early on, Tony. People tend to take these comments personally right away. I can only guess the reasons, but I don't want to speculate.

It would be much more productive for people to try to understand other's point of view regarding the non-reply issue, rather than automatically assume they are complaining.

Just like you, I tried to take the high road to explain why the whole premise behind this post (i.e., Being rude can be justified) is wrong.

If people do not understand, or are unwilling to accept, that there is something known as professional business ethics, so be it.

Seems like most of these rant threads are started in order to stroke egos rather than educate.

Jan 06 13 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Death of Field wrote:
A popular model who is in high demand, can receive upward of 75-100+emails a day.
Time dictates to answer the legitimate offers and ignore the times that are a waste of time and effort to gain a 100.00 day job vs going after the 500.00 day jobs.

How does this popular model know the difference between a legitimate offer and a waste of time and effort?

How does this popular model know that a job only offers 100.00 per day and that another offers 500.00?

Sounds to me like this popular model is in the wrong line of business, if he or she can predict the final negotiation of a paid job, without engaging in a conversation.

All kidding aside, if someone is fielding over 75 offers per day, then a fan club with a president to handle the PR (or probably an agent) is a good suggestion.

Seems counterproductive to have that many fans, and treat them like stalkers.

Jan 06 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

MnPhoto wrote:
I guess I should have taken your approach early on, Tony. People tend to take these comments personally right away. I can only guess the reasons, but I don't want to speculate.

It would be much more productive for people to try to understand other's point of view regarding the non-reply issue, rather than automatically assume they are complaining.

Just like you, I tried to take the high road to explain why the whole premise behind this post (i.e., Being rude can be justified) is wrong.

If people do not understand, or are unwilling to accept, that there is something known as professional business ethics, so be it.

Seems like most of these rant threads are started in order to stroke egos rather than educate.

Yet, you still miss the obvious point that it is only an OPINION that it is rude, but your opinion or Tony's opinions are NOT facts.

You and Tony, and apparently think that you are "entitled" and expect people to reply to you, and if they don't, well then they are just "rude".

There is no law in the US that says people are entitled to a response, nor does anything say that it is rude not to, that is ONLY an opinion, NOT a fact.

I don't see you or Tony whining about 99% of the job hunting emails in the USA not getting a reply, or the multitudes of other situations in our lives where most people are mature enough to accept that they should not EXPECT a reply and that they don't need to blame others or attack them by claiming they are rude.

NEVER has it been considered absolutely necessary to respond to every unsolicited email.

It certainly is a nice courtesy if someone can and does take the time to reply, but to say that not doing so is "rude" is only in the mind of a narcissist who believes that they are ENTITLED to a response.

No response IS a response, the only way you can consider it "rude" not to reply is if you feel that you have some right or privilege to expect a response.

I am sorry to be rude, but if you're unable to comprehend that you (or others) are NOT entitled to a reply, that is your problem, and it is not a valid excuse or justification for you to treat others rudely.

The information that models are providing in this thread is excellent, it is just unfortunate that many photographers are so caught up in themselves that they refuse to consider that the rest of the world is under no duty to live according to what you think you're entitled to.

Jan 06 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

ZEPhoto

Los Angeles, California, US

This is an awesome, helpful and relatively short thread if you only read the model's responses. It's pretty clear to me that there are a few basic points that will up the odds of getting a response.

1)Have a clear message with all appropriate information. (I learned how to accomplish this in this thread.)
2)Have an awesome port, preferably with MM credits. You don't have one yet? KEEP SHOOTING- Friends, dogs, plants, blow up dolls, your babysitter, your fat, old and ugly next door neighbors. If you can't find something to shoot you're probably not made to be a photographer.
3)Don't have your panties in a bunch when you get no reply. It's not rude, and you're not the middle of the universe (this might be a surprise to some of you based on your replies). It could mean anything from "you're not good enough yet (which should motivate you to get better)" to "you just missed your message". Neither have any destructive effect on your life. (I already had this one down).
4)Remain positive, creative and passionate about what you do because this will not only lead to more people responding to your messages, they will start contacting you.
5) Don't be a bitch about it. What is it? Any of it. You don't get a reply? Shut up and move on. It's a big world. If you're going to get all prickly every time you project rudeness onto someone else's response (or non-response) you're going to have a long, hard and frustrating life.

Jan 06 13 06:00 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

MnPhoto wrote:
Oh my god.

Is there no level of reading comprehension in your head?
I am not saying that you (as in you - yourself, as opposed to the hypothetical self) have to reply to every message.

You, anyone, not just MelissaAnn whom seems to think that everything is about her, have a right to be rude and not reply. It is not against the law.

I am only saying that giving lame excuses is nothing less than just that... lame.

If there is any level of frustration on my regard, it is the bogus mentality that modernism has to condone rudeness.

I guess we have all of the "modeling" reality shows to thank for that.

Is that really what you think?  I wasn't able to gather that from your previous 10 rambling diatribes.  If all you were trying to do is state your opinion, that could have been done in one sentence.  What you've been trying to do is convince people that not responding is "rude" and "wrong," and that your line of thinking on this topic is *right*, but just because *you* think that, doesn't make it true.  You're welcome to continue thinking whatever you like, but your approach at trying to change the minds of others is clearly not working.

Maybe you should try throwing a pity party, and see if it will help all the "rude" people see things your way.

Jan 06 13 06:22 pm Link

Filmmaker

PrinceL

Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Jan 06 13 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Is that really what you think?  I wasn't able to gather that from your previous 10 rambling diatribes.  If all you were trying to do is state your opinion, that could have been done in one sentence.  What you've been trying to do is convince people that not responding is "rude" and "wrong," and that your line of thinking on this topic is *right*, but just because *you* think that, doesn't make it true.  You're welcome to continue thinking whatever you like, but your approach at trying to change the minds of others is clearly not working.

Maybe you should try throwing a pity party, and see if it will help all the "rude" people see things your way.

1. Someone starts a thread about justifying rude behavior.
2. White Knights  agree that the rudeness is justified.
3. Others agree that there is no justification for being rude to others.

I am not saying that they should ALWAYS respond.

I am simply stating that they should REALIZE that they are being rude, and accept it instead of making up faux reasons for why it is justified. This applies both to models AND photographers.

You automatically imply that if someone disagrees with the original post, then they are automatically responding from the point of view of someone that is "butthurt."

What is obvious here is that you have a major issue with people that disagree with you, and instead of accepting another's point of view, you try to shut them up with the implication that they feel snubbed.

You took our responses as personal attacks - not my fault.

I have news: THIS and everything else in the world is not about YOU.

For the umpteenth time:

Being rude is everyone's prerogative. People are rude everyday all over the planet, not just on MM.

Looking for reasons to justify rude behavior is the only issue that I have with this thread.

Now you can continue to try to make it look like this is about hurt feelings, but it still doesn't detract from my point and that of others:

Regardless of whether it is not responding to someone when they say "hello" (in person), not shaking somene's hand when it is extended toward you, or not holding the door for someone behind you, making up reasons to justify rude behavior does not change it from being rude.

Now you can elaborate and say that after your initial response, they were rude, or their offer no longer interested you, but my issue is with the justifications being offered for not responding to an initial message.

Jan 06 13 09:45 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

MnPhoto wrote:

I'd like to give the photographers in this thread complaining about models not responding to every single unsolicited message they receive, however bizarre, insulting, or pointless, a hypothetical scenario.

A model, an amateur who doesn't travel, living either in a different country or several states away in a small town you know you will most likely never visit contacts you. Her profile reeks of drama and general unprofessionalism. Her portfolio is filled with work you would not want to be associated with and consider in poor taste, 90% of it in genres you have no interest in shooting. She doesn't have a look or modeling skills you'd be interested in shooting for anything but a huge pile of money.

You receive a message from her that is so bizarre, incoherent and poorly written it is mostly unintelligible to you, but the one thing you gather is that she wants to shoot TFP with you. She makes outrageous demands and displays a rather rotten attitude.

Say you receive 10 of these a week. Do you respond to every single one of them? What do you write?

Say you receive 50 of these a week. (I am sure many people on here do.) Do you respond to every single one of them? What do you write?

(And, yes, my inbox is filled with messages from amateur photographers with subpar ports from Bumfuck, Alabama that read like this: "How ya d0in sexXxy? luV Ur bEWbiez. waNt 2 sh00t sUmTimE?"
I tend not to reply to those. I guess that is extremely rude of me.)

Jan 06 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MnPhoto wrote:

I don't think she is the one ranting

Jan 06 13 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Babalon Salome wrote:
I'd like to give the photographers in this thread complaining about models not responding to every single unsolicited message they receive, however bizarre, insulting, or pointless, a hypothetical scenario.

A model, an amateur who doesn't travel, living either in a different country or several states away in a small town you know you will most likely never visit contacts you. Her profile reeks of drama and general unprofessionalism. Her portfolio is filled with work you would not want to be associated with and consider in poor taste, 90% of it in genres you have no interest in shooting. She doesn't have a look or modeling skills you'd be interested in shooting for anything but a huge pile of money.

You receive a message from her that is so bizarre, incoherent and poorly written it is mostly unintelligible to you, but the one thing you gather is that she wants to shoot TFP with you. She makes outrageous demands and displays a rather rotten attitude.

Say you receive 10 of these a week. Do you respond to every single one of them? What do you write?

Say you receive 50 of these a week. (I am sure many people on here do.) Do you respond to every single one of them? What do you write?

(And, yes, my inbox is filled with messages from amateur photographers with subpar ports from Bumfuck, Alabama that read like this: "How ya d0in sexXxy? luV Ur bEWbiez. waNt 2 sh00t sUmTimE?"
I tend not to reply to those. I guess that is extremely rude of me.)

Not extremely rude, but no one is speaking in hyperbole here in order to prove a point.

Look, I have had my share of messages from people with whom I am unlikely to work with due to their geographical location, or the type of work they wish to have photographed, but...

...since you quoted me, I will respond to you with the same thing that I have said since my first comment:

Regardless of your stance on responding to someone's initial message, making up reasons to justify initial rude behavior is in poor form.

It is more of a reflection on the individual's breeding, or as rightly stated by others, a sense of arrogance.

Now I don't know anything about you, and I won't make any snap judgements about your past the way others do, even in light of the extreme example that you cited earlier, but I have come across a lot of people in my work with whom I would not wish to associate socially.

Your example points out the obvious cases. It is not because of their lack of couth, but the lack of respect they show for others.

Sometimes it isn't a reflection of the individual, but their social environment and/or education that prevents them from communicating properly or in a professional manner. Yet, in spite of that obvious factor, I will still treat people with the same courtesy, and respect that I would initially expect in return.

I certainly wouldn't make up reasons to justify being rude to someone (i.e., ignore them), without them being rude to me first (e.g., "I like your bewbiez").

Given the environment in which we operate in this website, you are going to come across kids (or adults with young minds) that view this website as a personal salacious playground. Those people can be identified right away, and in obvious cases like your "bewbiez" example, SHOULD be ignored before you CAM them, especially since their first message is a conversation non-starter loaded with unprofessionalism.

Read the OP carefully, and honestly ask yourself how many of those "reasons" are nothing more than excuses for trying to justify impolite behavior.

I ignore non-MM spam on a regular basis, and MM has added a SPAM feature to the messaging system, perhaps that will add a new dimension to this conversation once people start to identify Spammers.

Jan 06 13 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:

MelissaAnn, I don't think Julia Roberts is on MM.   This is largely a site for amateur models and photographers.   If you are a model seeking payment and or to better your book then it makes zero sense not to reply to serious offers for payment and or TF.    I don't think I said it was rude.   I do think at some level its foolish and unprofessional and yes that's my opinion as is what you've said.   People are free to agree or disagree.   I don't care which and my guess is you don't either.   If a offer isn't for you then say so.   Don't ignore the sender.   My feeling is most models here don't receive that many emails.   Most join and get a bunch which tapers off after a few weeks.   

My comments were in general and not quite directed at you but those who want to become professional models and photographers need to understand that its about understanding who your clients are.   Freelance models who rely on payment from photographers and or real world clients like stores, designers and others must follow up with calls and emails quickly.   As for being bitter.  I learned a long time ago not to take or make things personal.   Most of the models on MM are not professional in the way they handle their business and frankly I don't expect much from most.   Its not being bitter its seeing things as they are.   I've said this before but people with real budgets need to go to real world agencies. 

My opinion is that if you are serious about shooting and making money then return all emails and or calls even if to decline a offer.   Be professional and respectful and demand the same from those who contact you.   Being professional isn't just about how money you make or your work.   Its in your attitude and how you conduct yourself.

+1000

Jan 06 13 11:07 pm Link

Model

Elena Komleva

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

One photographer keeps sending identical messages to me every few weeks. I am not responding, I think he is being disrespectful, he is pretty much spamming, obviously sending identical messages to a bunch of models..

Jan 06 13 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

MnPhoto wrote:
+1000

Thank you for illustrating why so many models wish photographers were NOT permitted to post in the model forum.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever comprehend how your arrogant and presumptive you come across as you, Tony, and others like you take it upon yourselves to educate these poor, foolish, wayward models who inexplicably are just too dumb or foolish to defer to your expertise on how they should conduct themselves.

I would like say that it is funny that you don't even grasp how rude YOU are being towards them by arrogantly assuming that your views (on what they should do) is superior to theirs, but the truth is, IT IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Before you keep accusing models of being rude, you (and others who share your view) should take a really, really hard look at your unsolicited, disrespectful lecturing before criticizing them of being rude and unprofessional.

You're making us all look bad, please stop.

Jan 06 13 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Modelographer

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MnPhoto wrote:

Not extremely rude, but no one is speaking in hyperbole here in order to prove a point.

Look, I have had my share of messages from people with whom I am unlikely to work with due to their geographical location, or the type of work they wish to have photographed, but...

...since you quoted me, I will respond to you with the same thing that I have said since my first comment:

Regardless of your stance on responding to someone's initial message, making up reasons to justify initial rude behavior is in poor form.

It is more of a reflection on the individual's breeding, or as rightly stated by others, a sense of  arrogance.

Now I don't know anything about you, and I won't make any snap judgements, especially in light of the extreme example that you cited earlier, but I have come across a lot of people in my work with whom I would not wish to associate socially, and your example points out the obvious cases. It is not because of their lack of couth, but the lack of respect they show for others.

Sometimes it isn't a reflection of the individual, but their social environment and/or education that prevents them from communicating properly or in a professional manner. Yet, in spite of that obvious factor, I will still treat people with the same courtesy, and respect that I would initially expect in return.

I certainly wouldn't make up reasons to justify being rude to someone (i,e., ignore them), without them being rude to me first (e.g., I like your bewbiez).

Given the environment in which we operate in this website, you are going to come across kids (or adults with young minds) that view this website as a personal salacious playground. Those people can be figured out right away, and in obvious cases like your example, SHOULD be ignored AFTER you CAM them, especially since their first message is a conversation non-starter loaded with unprofessionalism.

Read the OP carefully, and honestly ask yourself how many of those "reasons" aren't more than excuses for trying to justify uncouth behavior.

You must be really impressed with yourself for how great you are.

Jan 06 13 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MnPhoto wrote:

It is more of a reflection on the individual's breeding, or as rightly stated by others, a sense of  arrogance.

Now I don't know anything about you, and I won't make any snap judgements, especially in light of the extreme example that you cited earlier, but I have come across a lot of people in my work with whom I would not wish to associate socially, and your example points out the obvious cases. It is not because of their lack of couth, but the lack of respect they show for others.

I certainly wouldn't make up reasons to justify being rude to someone (i,e., ignore them), without them being rude to me first (e.g., I like your bewbiez).

Given the environment in which we operate in this website, you are going to come across kids (or adults with young minds) that view this website as a personal salacious playground. Those people can be figured out right away, and in obvious cases like your example, SHOULD be ignored AFTER you CAM them, especially since their first message is a conversation non-starter loaded with unprofessionalism.

Read the OP carefully, and honestly ask yourself how many of those "reasons" aren't more than excuses for trying to justify uncouth behavior.

why don't you move on and start your own thread ?

we are tired of you dumping in this one

Jan 07 13 12:09 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

DougBPhoto wrote:
Thank you for illustrating why so many models wish photographers were NOT permitted to post in the model forum.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever comprehend how your arrogant and presumptive you come across as you, Tony, and others like you take it upon yourselves to educate these poor, foolish, wayward models who inexplicably are just too dumb or foolish to defer to your expertise on how they should conduct themselves.

I would like say that it is funny that you don't even grasp how rude YOU are being towards them by arrogantly assuming that your views (on what they should do) is superior to theirs, but the truth is, IT IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Before you keep accusing models of being rude, you (and others who share your view) should take a really, really hard look at your unsolicited, disrespectful lecturing before criticizing them of being rude and unprofessional.

You're making us all look bad, please stop.

https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/fabian365/internet-white-knight.jpg
Your need to appeal to models by portraying other photographers in a bad light, is no less short of amusing. Yes, Tony and others are old school. They tried to explain that a non-reply is either impractical or just plain impolite.

I, on the other hand, wanted to emphasize that most of the reasons being listed, were nothing more than excuses to justify a being rude. This is a perfect example of how the age of Reality TV shows has diluted the understanding of what is professional (not the paid kind, but ethical) behavior.

The OP assumes that listing a string of reasons for impolite behavior somehow changes the interpretation of the behavior itself. One of those  "means justifying the end" situations, the only difference being that the "end" is a figment of someone's speculation.

You on the other hand, either fail to comprehend this, or simply assume that by ignoring it while accusing others of being rude and arrogant, will make you look better to look better than others.

Glenn thought he was being ironic when he stated:

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:
Trying to justify being rude....now that's something I don't see everyday.

But I will add that the true irony can be found in you calling others rude or arrogant, while defending rude behavior.

Jan 07 13 12:53 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Elena Komleva wrote:
One photographer keeps sending identical messages to me every few weeks. I am not responding, I think he is being disrespectful, he is pretty much spamming, obviously sending identical messages to a bunch of models..

Now that you have identified him as a spammer, CAM him and use the new SPAM feature by flagging the message.

Jan 07 13 12:59 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Jan 07 13 01:01 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

MnPhoto wrote:
Your need to appeal to models by portraying other photographers in a bad light, is no less short of amusing. Yes, Tony and others are old school. They tried to explain that a non-reply is either impractical or just plain impolite.

I, on the other hand, wanted to emphasize that most of the reasons, were nothing more than excuses to justify a new type of rudeness.  It shows how the age of the Internet and Reality TV shows have diluted people's understanding of perception of what is professional (not paid, but ethical) behavior.

The OP assumes that posting a set of reasons for impolite behavior somehow changes the definition of the action itself.

You on the other hand, either fail to comprehend this, or simply assume that by ignoring it while accusing others of being rude and arrogant, will make you look better to look better than others.

But I will add that the true irony can be found in you calling others rude or arrogant.

I don't need to try to make you (or others) look bad, you're doing that on your own, and you have absolutely no clue.

I guess you and some others are truly "old school", as I long since outgrew the days when men think it is acceptable to try to dictate to women out of a sense of superiority and greater importance.

I am "old school" too, but I learned a long time ago that you learn more by shutting the fuck up and listening instead of arrogantly assuming that you know what is best for other people, especially those of a different gender.

For you to arrogantly assume that you know what they deal with, or that you have some greater importance or moral superiority that entitles you to judge how other people should act, and that when others don't act according to your standards you are entitled to judge/criticize them is idiotic, narcissistic, and just plain rude.

You (and others like you) thinking you need to come in and illuminate these unprofessional models about the ways of life and how terrible it is that you view them as unprofessional.

The fact that you are utterly unaware of your rude arrogance does not make me a white knight, it only makes you appear unprofessional, inconsiderate, rude and judgmental.

Apparently the only way to make yourself feel better is to preach your superiority, whether in professionalism, social graces, or thinking that any photographer who does not agree with you must be sucking up to models, and any model is just clueless and vapid.

I mentioned MANY pages ago about photographers who "can't let go" and don't know when to stop are also a huge issue of why models choose not to reply.

All you're doing is proving their point, over and over again.

The irony about THAT is that even though multiple people have repeatedly pointed it out to you, yet you still seem to have no fucking clue.

In conclusion, for all of our sakes, I hope that some day you have a successful cranialrectal extraction.

Jan 07 13 11:53 am Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Laura BrokenDoll wrote:
I still think that a simple "I'm not interested, thanks" is the best option smile

This +100

In the time it takes to type no thank you, everything can be put to rest...short/sweet.  The other person might not like the answer, but it is an answer none the less and everyone can move on.

Jan 07 13 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

DougBPhoto wrote:
I don't need to try to make you (or others) look bad, you're doing that on your own, and you have absolutely no clue.

I guess you and some others are truly "old school", as I long since outgrew the days when men think it is acceptable to try to dictate to women out of a sense of superiority and greater importance.

I am "old school" too, but I learned a long time ago that you learn more by shutting the fuck up and listening instead of arrogantly assuming that you know what is best for other people, especially those of a different gender.

For you to arrogantly assume that you know what they deal with, or that you have some greater importance or moral superiority that entitles you to judge how other people should act, and that when others don't act according to your standards you are entitled to judge/criticize them is idiotic, narcissistic, and just plain rude.

You (and others like you) thinking you need to come in and illuminate these unprofessional models about the ways of life and how terrible it is that you view them as unprofessional.

The fact that you are utterly unaware of your rude arrogance does not make me a white knight, it only makes you appear unprofessional, inconsiderate, rude and judgmental.

Apparently the only way to make yourself feel better is to preach your superiority, whether in professionalism, social graces, or thinking that any photographer who does not agree with you must be sucking up to models, and any model is just clueless and vapid.

I mentioned MANY pages ago about photographers who "can't let go" and don't know when to stop are also a huge issue of why models choose not to reply.

All you're doing is proving their point, over and over again.

The irony about THAT is that even though multiple people have repeatedly pointed it out to you, yet you still seem to have no fucking clue.

In conclusion, for all of our sakes, I hope that some day you have a successful cranialrectal extraction.

Ok. I feel bad that you had to type out another chapter of War and Peace in your attempt to try to justify your position.  I won't even bother to read it, because I am sure it is more dribble about how fantastic you are, and how horrible the rest of us are.

I am going to agree to disagree and leave it at that, otherwise you will keep on going, and going until you run out of canned soda and potato chips.
Happy New Year and may your White Knight stance finally lead to the clearing of your facial skin condition.

Jan 07 13 12:10 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Make sure you respond

Jan 07 13 12:15 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

three or four times

Jan 07 13 12:15 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

so no one else can talk about anything other than what you want to talk about.

Jan 07 13 12:16 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Then criticize anyone who actually responds to your shit for being too involved or wordy.

Jan 07 13 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

PhotoSeven wrote:

This +100

In the time it takes to type no thank you, everything can be put to rest...short/sweet.  The other person might not like the answer, but it is an answer none the less and everyone can move on.

The problem with that is that there is a solid percentage of photographers who will not move on (as some in this thread have generously illustrated.)

It isn't simply a matter of time, as many models have started out replying to everyone, and then they have adjusted their policy of replying due to how photographers treat them.

There are plenty of people who spout that it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission, which is not morally/socially ideal, but many photographers have adopted that policy and don't seem to have a problem with it, even though it isn't technically the "right" way of doing things.

The fact that some photographers can't get over their sense of entitlement and self-importance that they "deserve" a reply (or are entitled to a reply) and that all models should to reply or they are rude or unprofessional displays a lack of awareness and closed-mindedness, that they are unwilling or unable to see things from the other person's perspective.

If this site does one thing well, it is showcasing egos, entitlement, arrogance, and butthurt when they don't get their way.

Jan 07 13 12:24 pm Link

Model

hillary model

Miami, Florida, US

Well, sometimes I just don't really feel the need to respond, especially if the shoot is way outside anything I have in my portfolio.

Jan 07 13 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

hillary model wrote:
Well, sometimes I just don't really feel the need to respond, especially if the shoot is way outside anything I have in my portfolio.

Playing devil's advocate, How is the said photographer to know what you are interested in shooting when your Genre section says N/A?

Jan 07 13 12:28 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PhotoSeven wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, How is the said photographer to know what you are interested in shooting when your Genre section says N/A?

I dunno...looking at her portfolio?

Theres no nudes, no fetish work, no alt work, no bondage, no cheesy glamour work, no high fashion, no cosplay

When youre trying to book a model for a theme, do you often seek out models who make absolutely no mention of wanting to do those themes and dont present those themes in their portfolio leading you to believe they also have no experience in those genres?

I sure dont contact bondage photographers to shoot beauty portraits (unless they do both and exhibit that in their portfolio)

Jan 07 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

GD Whalen

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I found this topic rather interesting and have a comment.

Communication comes in many forms but the purpose of communication is to help people understand and learn about each other.  A polite response helps a person learn about someone else.  As does a mean response or even a no response.  The only reason to communicate with someone is to learn who they are dealing with.

A no response is absolutely communication and from where I sit, a no response is great communication.  It is not hurtful.  It is not mean.  It is simply lazy and unprofessional.  But above all it is GREAT information.  I would rather learn that a person is unprofessional and lazy than THINK they are the exact opposite. 

Don't respond!  Fine.  Just don't wonder in 3-5 years why you have no work.

Jan 07 13 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Votull

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I first started I got a whole lot of no responses.  For Trades and when I was offering payment.  Got better, got wiser, got more responses.  No responses generally don't bug me.  At most I'll feel disappointed if I get no response from someone I *really* wanted to work with.  I think the OP makes some valid points.

But I'll admit I picked up the controversial habit.  I respond to those offering paid assignments and generally TFs, but sometimes I won't respond to models specifically seeking paid work from me.  To me that seems more like advertisement that I may or may not be interested in.

Jan 07 13 02:51 pm Link

Model

Lanna_

Seattle, Washington, US

An observation this industry:

I have NEVER been contacted by any booker/agency to tell me that I didn't get a casting.  We don't get personally told "No, the client didn't pick you for this project." Models go to castings and won't hear anything back unless they've been booked/get put on hold. 

So I guess agencies are the rudest, most unprofessional people in the world?

No. It's just how things work.

Do I get disappointed if I don't get a great casting?  To some extent.  Do I get all offended that the agency was "so rude/lazy and unprofessional they couldn't even take 3 seconds to tell me no?"  Of course not. 

So to all the photographers complaining about how "unprofessional" it is to not hear back, I suggest observing the working industry. 

Perhaps the photographer-agency/client interaction is different, but this is how it is from the model standpoint.  No response is a response.

Jan 07 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

I am a wedding photographer. I get wedding inquiries and I respond within 24 hours.

Sometimes I never hear back again. I don't assume that the person that contacted me was rude, I just figure they were kicking the tires or I was out of their price range or whatever.

I get solicitation all the time from SEO specialists. I don't respond to them saying "sorry not interested." I just ignore it because all they're going to do is try to convince me to use them.

A lot of times when I message a model, I'm just reaching out and expressing an interest in working with them without a specific concept, date or anything--I just like their look/portfolio/whathaveyou. If they're interested in working together at some point they respond and we start planning. But I don't expect that I'll receive a message saying "no thanks."

I think there are plenty of times in a professional environment where a non-response is warranted. I also don't think it is the responsibility of the recipient of a solicitation to offer critique as to why they are not interested--in what other industry is it common practice to deliver a critique in conjunction with a rejection?

Jan 07 13 03:53 pm Link

Model

lina

New York, New York, US

model emily  wrote:
So, do I risk losing future business and reputation by unintentionally "snubbing" people?

I am going to tell you right now, if someone contacts you for TF, and it is not a tear or dedicated shoot with a team they are not going to pay you anytime in the future. They do not have the funds and the chance of someone off of MM casting you for a paid job with an outside client is astronomically low (the client usually casts anyway and if they want a freebie they can cast an agency girl who needs to build her book). The only exception would be in a city so small they don't have agencies ( like Fargo or something).  If someone pays, they usually pay right away.

Jan 07 13 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Laura UnBound wrote:

I dunno...looking at her portfolio?

Theres no nudes, no fetish work, no alt work, no bondage, no cheesy glamour work, no high fashion, no cosplay

When youre trying to book a model for a theme, do you often seek out models who make absolutely no mention of wanting to do those themes and dont present those themes in their portfolio leading you to believe they also have no experience in those genres?

I sure dont contact bondage photographers to shoot beauty portraits (unless they do both and exhibit that in their portfolio)

I hear ya, but by not stating what types of work you ARE looking for, it makes it kinda hard for people to know what types of work to offer.  So you can't fault the photographer for asking, just communicate.

Jan 07 13 08:35 pm Link