Forums > Photography Talk > Purchasing a new kit.

Photographer

Fernando H Costa

London, England, United Kingdom

Hey guys,

I'm planning to leave University and start shooting. A lot.

and because of this I will need to upgrade my equipment.

I currently own the following.

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera
Nikon 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens

I however, want to switch to Canon specifically the Canon 5D mark ii as I used it a few times and really enjoyed it.

So my plan is to sell all my nikons stuff which should give me around £800- £900. If I sell my motorbike Ill get another £4.5k.

I want to spend  £2.500.00 on my equipment, including camera, lens, lighting, etc..

I plan to buy a shittier motorbike for £2.000.00 and have £1.000.00 to  spend on my photography such as buying props, etc..

Now if you have not seen my portfolio, here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/Fernandocostaphotography

I want to concentrate on fashion/commercial photography

I like the way this photographer --- http://www.larajade.co.uk/ --- shoots. Does anyone have a idea of what lens she uses? what type of lighting she uses?

So, what do you guys suggest I get?

If I missed out on any info please ask
Thank you

Jan 03 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Prices on used 5D MKII's are going down. I'm not sure what the conversion is on 1,000 pounds, but that might only get you the body. You could, get an adapter for it, and keep your Nikon 35mm, and shoot with that to build cabbage to get other lenses, lights, etc.

[Edit] Sorry, misread that.

For 2,500 pounds, a 5D MKII would be nice. That's what I use, and I love it. The 85mm 1.8 is around $300-$350 (USD?) used, and a wonderful piece of glass. The 50mm 1.4 would be nice to have, and it's in the same range. Lights, I've not looked at in a while to know used prices, but you should be able to find one and stay in budget. Then, build on that. Maybe try to snag a speedlite, but other than that, that kit will be a good start.

Jan 03 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

in what way is the D7000 limiting you? the nikon guys i know who have that camera really like it.

i have a 5D MK II and it's a great camera and i love full-frame. but unless you shoot in dark places or need your wide angle film lenses to work properly why dump everything and switch like that? i do like the skin tones i get shooting in JPEG mode.

and why not get a D600? or a canon 6D? lots of choices these days.

i'd just ponder the reasons for switching. instead of buying a 5D MK II you could invest in some more glass for your D7000. or invest in training (buy some lara jade and joey L dvds) which might be the most important thing and something i wished i had put more money into myself.

for my next body i want:
* another stop of ISO
* locking mode dial (that is really important for weddings)
* dual card slots

Jan 03 13 11:03 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

liking Lara Jade is one thing. shooting like her without becoming one of her clones is another.  she strips EXIF data so it's impossible to say for sure what lenses she uses exactly but there's clearly more than one in her bag.  Lighting? whatever it takes to get her shot.  some very flat lighting, some very contrasty, some pretty much lens flared and desaturated to death, some with one key light pretty much dead center with a small softbox, some with two or three lights, some natural light without a reflector, some with a small reflector to cheat.  the list goes on and on.

Basically what I am trying to say is your goal might not be reasonable.  If you check out her Flickr photostream or other sources you will see more of the variety I'm trying to explain.

Jan 03 13 11:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

she did a creativelive a while back. i didn't watch it but i assume from that one could figure out her choice of gear. sometimes with people like that i think the most important thing they have is their look and personality and charisma, not which camera body they shoot with. you could have a 5D MK X and still not be her (especially if you are male!) there is only one her.

i like lindsay adler.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
liking Lara Jade is one thing. shooting like her without becoming one of her clones is another.

Jan 03 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Fernando H Costa

London, England, United Kingdom

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
liking Lara Jade is one thing. shooting like her without becoming one of her clones is another.  she strips EXIF data so it's impossible to say for sure what lenses she uses exactly but there's clearly more than one in her bag.  Lighting? whatever it takes to get her shot.  some very flat lighting, some very contrasty, some pretty much lens flared and desaturated to death, some with one key light pretty much dead center with a small softbox, some with two or three lights, some natural light without a reflector, some with a small reflector to cheat.  the list goes on and on.

Basically what I am trying to say is your goal might not be reasonable.  If you check out her Flickr photostream or other sources you will see more of the variety I'm trying to explain.

I don't plan on copying her and neither becoming one of her clones.
I used her as a example as I like her style. I'm sure she has lots of different types of lens and lots of different types of lighting equipment. I am merely looking at a place to start.

i.e " http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/31040250 … sbar&cbt=y could be a good started for what your looking for "

Jan 03 13 11:21 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

for my on-whites i often use six studio strobes.

some advise starting with one strobe and a reflector and working your way up to multiple lights.

around here alienbees (paul buff) are what most guys have. along with a vagabond mini they are a happy kit.

be careful about over-investing in gear until you know what are doing (and what you want). there are so many different ways to photograph and so much gear one could own. but sometimes window light and a reflector is all you need to be happy.

Fernando H Costa wrote:
i.e " http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310402508404?var=lv

Jan 03 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

twoharts wrote:
for my on-whites i often use six studio strobes.

some advise starting with one strobe and a reflector and working your way up to multiple lights.

around here alienbees (paul buff) are what most guys have. along with a vagabond mini they are a happy kit.

OP is in the UK. I understand ABs are not so simple there.

Jan 03 13 11:28 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

too bad. i love mine. it's the kind of love i have for my apple products and my fuji x-pro1. some gear is just very lovable.

plus with ABs you can resell them used for more than retail!

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
OP is in the UK. I understand ABs are not so simple there.

Jan 03 13 11:30 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Fernando H Costa wrote:

I don't plan on copying her and neither becoming one of her clones.
I used her as a example as I like her style. I'm sure she has lots of different types of lens and lots of different types of lighting equipment. I am merely looking at a place to start.

i.e " http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310402508404?var=lv

Jan 03 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i had to buy some AB400s because my AB800s (and equivalent JTLs) were too powerful. depends on what aperture you like to use. i'm rarely at f16 or anything nearly that high.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
you want to rob light sometimes.

Jan 03 13 11:34 am Link