Forums > Model Colloquy > Health and Beauty Tips!

Model

Lynne Jefferies

Posts: 5

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hey!

I'm still relatively new to modelling, and since I've always been a bit of a tomboy I was wondering it any other models had some sworn by health and beauty tips, for skin, hair... or pretty much anything else!
I had pretty bad skin as a teenager and have never found anything worth recommending; have you?

Thanks!

Lynne

Jan 03 13 10:47 am Link

Model

Autumn Rose Brightly

Posts: 1097

Crowley, Texas, US

It sounds silly but water and sleep have been my two best tricks

Jan 03 13 10:49 am Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have only taken baths (no showers) since I was about 14 years old.

I eat baked sweet potatoes, greek yogurt, and brussell sprouts like it's my job.

I save my money and invest in nice treats for myself -- hair treatments, facial treatments, nail treatments, massages.

I drink lots of water.

I've never smoked.

I drink - just a little.

I moisturize.  A lot.

I sleep.  A lot.

Jan 03 13 11:23 am Link

Model

Christinare

Posts: 116

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Exfoliate. Not just your face.

Jan 04 13 12:06 am Link

Model

sasweets

Posts: 404

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Stay away from dairy.

Jan 04 13 09:13 am Link

Model

Olivia Clemens

Posts: 96

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree that diet and lifestyle is really important. Sleep, healthy diet low in processed foods, lots of water. Product wise I use a glycolic acid toner and a rich face cream after I wash my face, and I try to stay away from sulfates and harsh chemicals. Taking good care of yourself is really the best remedy. Agree with the comment about dairy. I'm vegan, so I'm eating a ton of veggies and no animal products, which I think helps. smile

Jan 04 13 09:49 am Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Christinare wrote:
Exfoliate. Not just your face.

Why not your face?

Exfoliating your face is huge.  Helps cell turn over and getting all the dead crap off.   I just don't use the same product on my body that I use for my face.

I also eat a ton of cheese, milk, butter, fat -- love it, and have great skin elasticity  and collagen according to my aesthetician.

Sugar is the killer.

Jan 04 13 09:58 am Link

Model

Dolce

Posts: 24

Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

do not eat chocolate

Jan 04 13 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Lars R Peterson

Posts: 1073

Seattle, Washington, US

model emily  wrote:

Why not your face?

I think they mean not JUST your face.
As in, yes exfoliate your face, but don't stop there... exfoliate everything that can be exfoliated!
smile

Jan 04 13 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Lars R Peterson

Posts: 1073

Seattle, Washington, US

China-Doll wrote:
do not eat chocolate

Yeah, right.
And don't ever smile, or laugh, or have sex, or do anything enjoyable.

Pssh... "don't eat chocolate."
HA!
Kill me now then!!!

Jan 04 13 10:19 am Link

Model

Egypt Jordan

Posts: 82

San Antonio, Texas, US

Go jogging or dance, some sort of cardio.

Drink water, don't have to be 64 oz, but I know some people who do not drink water at all.

Get a good night's worth of sleep, no staying up until 3am partying and waking up at 8am

Eat right, stay away from things that are high in fat and sugars

By doing those things, you pretty much have all the secrets to staying young, healthy, and beautiful.

Jan 04 13 12:51 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Lars R Peterson wrote:

I think they mean not JUST your face.
As in, yes exfoliate your face, but don't stop there... exfoliate everything that can be exfoliated!
smile

LMAO, I can't read.

sad

Jan 04 13 09:20 pm Link

Model

-Aviva-

Posts: 3451

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Here are my top 10:

1. Use gentle skin cleanser, followed by toner, and then moisturizer

2. Use pore cleansing mask once a week or once every 2 weeks

3. Exercise at moderate to high intensity at least 3 times a week

4. Sleep at least 8 hours a day

5. Drink between 5-8 glasses of water or more

6. Do not eat McDonalds, A & W and other junk food

7. Don't eat too much salt

8. Take your omega-3's and antioxidants

9. Use sunscreen if you're outside for a long time especially on your face

10. Try not to stress too much



Hope this helps,
Aviva
www.ahlifeandstyle.com

Jan 05 13 09:17 pm Link

Model

- Aina -

Posts: 747

Redlands, California, US

-Aviva- wrote:
Here are my top 10:

1. Use gentle skin cleanser, followed by toner, and then moisturizer

2. Use pore cleansing mask once a week or once every 2 weeks

3. Exercise at moderate to high intensity at least 3 times a week

4. Sleep at least 8 hours a day

5. Drink between 5-8 glasses of water or more

6. Do not eat McDonalds, A & W and other junk food

7. Don't eat too much salt

8. Take your omega-3's and antioxidants

9. Use sunscreen if you're outside for a long time especially on your face

10. Try not to stress too much



Hope this helps,
Aviva
www.ahlifeandstyle.com

This has mostly been by thing. I've actually started to lose weight due to modeling. I've become more health conscious in many aspects.

Jan 06 13 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Justin Suyama

Posts: 113

Seattle, Washington, US

Here's some tips.

1) Consume half your weight in water everyday. Not chlorinated water, ie tap.
2) Do not drink/eat HFCS or sugar. Sugar causes glycation in the body which is the browning of bread and what not in an oven, except that effect is in the body. It's been said that it's not reversible. Advanced glycation end-products result in = A.G.E.
3) Eat organic where possible. Otherwise minimize white carbs, sugars (alcohol converts to sugar in the body) and bad oils. Consume more Omega 3's found in Chia seeds, fish oil, etc. Good oils: olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia. There are a couple more but less used so I'll keep it at that. Don't consume fast-food. Period.
4) Use a dry sauna from time to time. Helps flush out toxins and helps skin.
5) Install a $20 shower filter (purchased at most hardware stores) that removes 99% of the chlorine. Chlorine is bad on the skin. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R … Omtjneij8c)
6) Listen to your body. If dairy, wheat, and certain allergy causing foods cause you to break out then remove those items from your diet.
7) Exercise moderately on a regular basis. This helps with not being a "skinny fat" model plus it helps keep your body regularly detoxing which will result in looking better longer. Just don't overdo it because too much results in the body having to FIX the workout which causes it to detract from other routine functions.
9) Exfoliation is good. You can purchase a light bristle brush in almost any health store or body shop.
10) Juice. Juicing raw organic veggies (stay away from sugary fruits as this is simply calories and fructose, a sugar which makes you fat) gives the body nutrients and aids it in detox, etc etc.
11) Try not to use a lot of alcohol based products or petroleum based products on your face or body. These can either dry skin out, make it too oily and everything on the skin is absorbed into the body.

I gotta run out the door now! Good luck.

Jan 06 13 09:01 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Posts: 4890

Detroit, Michigan, US

One thing that has helped me a whole lot is Japanese or Asian or Korean skincare method. They do a lot less scrubbing which seems much better for your skin. For example, to remove make-up they use a cleansing oil, then they use a cleanser (similar to Western types) instead of just trying to do it all in one step. The cleansing oils also require no scrubbing. I have used mine to remove mascara, eyeliner, stage make-up, etc and all I have to do is gently massage it in, then wipe it off with a damp towel.

There are also a few really good forums for skin care and reviews on products out there. If you (or any one else) is interested, just shoot me a PM and I can send them to you. I can also send you some links with info on the Asian skin care methods if you like ^_^

I also drink a fair amount of water and am slowly working on eating healthier. I have learned that for me, making the change more gradually makes me stick with it, rather than jumping in head first most of the time.

Jan 06 13 11:25 am Link

Model

Fine Wine

Posts: 226

Orange, California, US

I will also add work out to not only stay in shape, but look and feel healthy.

Also, avoid the sun.  I know a tan looks great, but nothing will age you more or faster than sun exposure.  If you want to look like an old dried up piece of leather when you are older then go out in the sun when you are young.

I have a friend that has been battling stage 4 melanoma. Her doctors gave her a 50/50 chance of surviving. She used to worship the sun and now she doesn't think it was worth it.

Stay young and healthy and stay out of the sun.  Plus think about it, do you ever see tan lines on models in fashion magazines.

Jan 06 13 05:42 pm Link

Model

Lisa Praznak

Posts: 16

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Fine Wine wrote:
Plus think about it, do you ever see tan lines on models in fashion magazines.

Have you heard of photoshop?

Jan 06 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Lisa Praznak wrote:
Have you heard of photoshop?

Those models aren't spending time in the sun.  Trust me.

Nor are they relying on photoshop to correct tan lines - they don't have them.

Jan 06 13 06:23 pm Link

Model

Lisa Praznak

Posts: 16

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

two words- vitamin d.

Jan 06 13 06:38 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8265

Tucson, Arizona, US

It's been said but it can't be said enough, the most important things for your skin are water, rest, moisturizer and spf. Not smoking is a big one, too.

Everything else depends on skin type. Washing twice a day is pretty universal, but what with and any additional treatments are totally individual.

Jan 06 13 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Suyama

Posts: 113

Seattle, Washington, US

Lisa Praznak wrote:
two words- vitamin d.

D3 to be exact. Stay away from the synthetic stuff. Use D3.

And on SPF, use natural. The other stuff is chalked full of chemical.

Sunlight in moderation is healthy for the skin but people go crazy with how long they THINK they need to be out there. Paler people may only need 20-30 minutes and more can lead to skin issues.

But if for nothing else, if you avoid the sun, supplement with D3. And you should probably supplement with D3 if you live in any northern tier, between October and May or so. D3 has been shown to greatly help with avoiding the flu and cancer among other things (I've got a bunch of medical studies on it summarized in a newsletter if anyone is interested).

Jan 07 13 02:12 am Link

Model

Jordan L Duncan

Posts: 207

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Suyama Images wrote:
Here's some tips.

1) Consume half your weight in water everyday. Not chlorinated water, ie tap.
2) Do not drink/eat HFCS or sugar. Sugar causes glycation in the body which is the browning of bread and what not in an oven, except that effect is in the body. It's been said that it's not reversible. Advanced glycation end-products result in = A.G.E.
3) Eat organic where possible. Otherwise minimize white carbs, sugars (alcohol converts to sugar in the body) and bad oils. Consume more Omega 3's found in Chia seeds, fish oil, etc. Good oils: olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia. There are a couple more but less used so I'll keep it at that. Don't consume fast-food. Period.
4) Use a dry sauna from time to time. Helps flush out toxins and helps skin.
5) Install a $20 shower filter (purchased at most hardware stores) that removes 99% of the chlorine. Chlorine is bad on the skin. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R … Omtjneij8c)
6) Listen to your body. If dairy, wheat, and certain allergy causing foods cause you to break out then remove those items from your diet.
7) Exercise moderately on a regular basis. This helps with not being a "skinny fat" model plus it helps keep your body regularly detoxing which will result in looking better longer. Just don't overdo it because too much results in the body having to FIX the workout which causes it to detract from other routine functions.
9) Exfoliation is good. You can purchase a light bristle brush in almost any health store or body shop.
10) Juice. Juicing raw organic veggies (stay away from sugary fruits as this is simply calories and fructose, a sugar which makes you fat) gives the body nutrients and aids it in detox, etc etc.
11) Try not to use a lot of alcohol based products or petroleum based products on your face or body. These can either dry skin out, make it too oily and everything on the skin is absorbed into the body.

I gotta run out the door now! Good luck.

This x 1000000!!!

But don't forget to allow a treat for yourself every once in a while. Its important to be healthy but being happy is important too!

Jan 08 13 09:07 pm Link

Model

Tai

Posts: 1

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Dekilah wrote:
One thing that has helped me a whole lot is Japanese or Asian or Korean skincare method. They do a lot less scrubbing which seems much better for your skin. For example, to remove make-up they use a cleansing oil, then they use a cleanser (similar to Western types) instead of just trying to do it all in one step. The cleansing oils also require no scrubbing. I have used mine to remove mascara, eyeliner, stage make-up, etc and all I have to do is gently massage it in, then wipe it off with a damp towel.

There are also a few really good forums for skin care and reviews on products out there. If you (or any one else) is interested, just shoot me a PM and I can send them to you. I can also send you some links with info on the Asian skin care methods if you like ^_^

I also drink a fair amount of water and am slowly working on eating healthier. I have learned that for me, making the change more gradually makes me stick with it, rather than jumping in head first most of the time.

Jan 13 13 12:07 pm Link

Model

Scarlett Renee

Posts: 220

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I swear by St Ives apricot scrub! Good for the whole body, and the medicated one for the face!

Jan 13 13 02:48 pm Link

Model

Centia Rose

Posts: 326

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

+1 to whoever said don't stay out in the sun too long. Also, Multivitamin supplements and taking care of hair, skin, and nails. Conditioning all three using stuff like shea butter or rosehip seed oil works a treat.

Jan 13 13 03:38 pm Link

Model

Saedcantas

Posts: 445

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

Suyama Images wrote:
Here's some tips.

1) Consume half your weight in water everyday.

If I'm reading this correctly, I don't think this is what you meant...?

I would be drinking 34ltrs per day?

Jan 13 13 04:06 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Posts: 345

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Apple cider vinegar for your facial cleanser - oh my goodness - it makes your skin have this holy bright freshness and tightens your pores. Drink water and fresh cold press juices when poss and less sugar and salt.

Jan 13 13 04:10 pm Link

Model

Ravenne

Posts: 4

Denver, Colorado, US

I love food-grade coconut oil for facial moisturizer.  It's all-natural, less drying than salicylic acid, and it's the only thing other than diet I've found that effectively controls my breakouts.

Jan 13 13 04:20 pm Link

Model

Keira Sibali

Posts: 189

Oakland, New Jersey, US

If your hair tends to get dry toward the ends, try this super easy DIY treatment. Pull your hair up into a ponytail and rub about a tablespoon of olive oil into anything that hangs down from where you pulled it up. Then twist your hair into a bun and leave it for about an hour. After an hour, shower and wash your hair as usual. Should feel better almost right away! You can do this once a week or once every two weeks if that's easier. A stylist gave me that tip a while ago and it has seriously saved me tons of headaches and frustration.

Jan 13 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

Avonelle

Posts: 167

Toledo, Ohio, US

Waterwaterwater, and about two cups of green tea a day!

Smoothies for breakfast are a great way to get a jolt of fruits, protein, or whatever you feel like adding to the mix. You can even add a handful of a leafy green stocked-filled with vitamins, something like kale, which you don't taste, but turns your smoothie a funny green! My body always feels so light and energized when I start off with a smoothie!

I've been a vegetarian for years and years, which I think makes it a lot easier to not gain weight, I think. Even though I eat more carbs than I should, I still balance things out with lots of fruits and veggies. Nomnomnom. I don't deny myself 'guilty-pleaasure' foods, but I make sure that when I do indulge, it is always a small-portion.

Cardio and other exercise! There are more ways to stay active than to just lift weights (which can also be fun, but isn't for everyone). There is swimming and hula hooping and belly-dance and biking and yoga! Find what fits you, and you can have a blast, stay toned, and gain more flexibility!

For me, mental health is just as important as my physical health. Vitamins, meditation, taking some much-needed Me time - they all feel important to keeping stress away, which keeps motivation up and doesn't take a toll on my body!

Jan 13 13 06:36 pm Link