Forums > Critique > Would Love Serious Critique On My Port

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

I've always been interested in photography but just recently started taking it seriously. My first photoshoot was in September of last year. Would like some serious critique from pros. Thanks.

Jan 03 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Mate, toss out the image with sheila that has the black censor line across her eyes and get rid of all that text in your watermark. Get yourself a fancy but small logo to watermark your images and perhaps include some text, but limit to your business name.
As far as your bio is concerned...I don't care if you are a vegetarian.
...and get rid of the spill about your assistant...just mention you have one and he is a celebrity, include a link to his website.
Use a spell checker whenever posting into a forum.
Apart from that, your work has much potential and nothing grossly wrong pops out with your images, with the exception of aforementioned bits.

Jan 03 13 05:24 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:
Mate, toss out the image with sheila that has the black censor line across her eyes and get rid of all that text in your watermark. Get yourself a fancy but small logo to watermark your images and perhaps include some text, but limit to your business name.
...and get rid of the spill about your assistant...just mention you have one and he is a celebrity, include a link to his website.
Apart from that, your work has much potential and nothing grossly wrong pops out with your images, with the exception of aforementioned bits.

Couldn't of said it better. +1000

Jan 03 13 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

intense_puppy

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I'm a huge fan of your B&W stuff having already listed this one a while back

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30542142 (18+)

Carry on, sir!

Jan 03 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:

Her name is Zhane'...Maybe you should learn to read before posting in the forum smile
And I did say "critique from Pros"...but thanks for your 2 cents!

Jan 04 13 08:09 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

intense_puppy wrote:
I'm a huge fan of your B&W stuff having already listed this one a while back

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30542142 (18+)

Carry on, sir!

Thanks! I appreciate it. Still studying photography so my black and white stuff will be better as I learn more. Your work is pretty dope also!

Jan 04 13 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Jason B Forbes wrote:
Her name is Zhane'...Maybe you should learn to read before posting in the forum smile

Mate, if you didn't have a huge rectangle over the shiela's face and didn't make my eyes sore from trying to decipher all that fine print on each photo and didn't use /////+++---- and """" every time you caption something, I just might have discovered the model's name somewhere. Going off now to critique some real pro work and will leave you to studying more photography.
...AND do get a handle on the lingo from other nation's that speak English, it will serve you well. Off now to grab some tucker, before I waddle off to wet the whisker. and watch the cricket.

Jan 04 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Dontez Akins

Douglasville, Georgia, US

As far as I can see you are off to a good start you are leaning into the fashion direction from what I can see with your current work.  The only issue I can see with the Zhane image(close up image) is that it needs to be closer you are leaving a lot of space from the top crop in on her like your other images.  Most of the images have a pretty good 3 point perspective so that is good. 

this images has an akward compistion because of how much of the cropping you did with the arms. 
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121206/22/50c18ea5f0a5c_m.jpg

But this images has that 3 point perspective that I was talking about. I also like the dramitic lighting of this images as well as some of the others. 
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121231/09/50e1d07704006_m.jpg

Now for the last Zhane image this is compisitionally pleasing it works well can see it in an ad.  The issue with the images how the model is sucking in her mouth if it was not for that this would a great editorial image for an ad.  So notice what model do with the face when shooting with them.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121022/08/5085635d2952a_m.jpg

In the end I think you do not have anything to worry about you are well on your way.

Jan 04 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Lansing, Michigan, US

"Would like some serious critique from pros."

Hmmm... just how many pro photographers do you intend to sell your images to?
As far as I have heard, they make their own images, not buy them.

A pro may help you on the technical stuff, but that's a relatively easy part of making an image. The image's creativity has to appeal to EVERYONE! So you should be asking for critiques from EVERYBODY.

Oops... I'm not a 'pro' so I guess you won't read this anyway.

Jan 04 13 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

Dontez Akins wrote:
As far as I can see you are off to a good start you are leaning into the fashion direction from what I can see with your current work.  The only issue I can see with the Zhane image(close up image) is that it needs to be closer you are leaving a lot of space from the top crop in on her like your other images.  Most of the images have a pretty good 3 point perspective so that is good. 

this images has an akward compistion because of how much of the cropping you did with the arms. 
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121206/22/50c18ea5f0a5c_m.jpg

But this images has that 3 point perspective that I was talking about. I also like the dramitic lighting of this images as well as some of the others. 
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121231/09/50e1d07704006_m.jpg

Now for the last Zhane image this is compisitionally pleasing it works well can see it in an ad.  The issue with the images how the model is sucking in her mouth if it was not for that this would a great editorial image for an ad.  So notice what model do with the face when shooting with them.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121022/08/5085635d2952a_m.jpg

In the end I think you do not have anything to worry about you are well on your way.

Thank you very much for the constructive critique! Exactly the kind of critique I was looking for! Just based on what you said, I decided to take a closer look at the 2 images you suggested issues with and I decided to delete them. You were right, the cropping on the asian girl was off and the zhane photo was good but i did take a closer look at her lips and saw exactly what you were referring to. Thanks so much!

Jan 05 13 07:01 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

The Effective Image wrote:
"Would like some serious critique from pros."

Hmmm... just how many pro photographers do you intend to sell your images to?
As far as I have heard, they make their own images, not buy them.

A pro may help you on the technical stuff, but that's a relatively easy part of making an image. The image's creativity has to appeal to EVERYONE! So you should be asking for critiques from EVERYBODY.

Oops... I'm not a 'pro' so I guess you won't read this anyway.

I should of said "Serious photographers" instead of "pros". I'm just looking for serious constructive criticism on my work since this is what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. But you were right, I should be asking critiques from everyone. Thanks.

Jan 05 13 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Looks like you know what you are doing!...No smart remarks to offer you, sorry!...

Ruben

Jan 05 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

DavidCoward Photography

Sandy Springs, Georgia, US

I'm not a pro, and the only thing I'm serious about is how hard I try to produce quality images. So you can stop reading here if you like. smile

I think your work is awesome, especially the black & whites.

The only one I DON'T like is the "motion-capture" pic. I'm not a fan of that style and I don't like how dark the right side of the frame is. (Also, I think unlit cigarettes are silly.) But that's just my taste.

Good work. Carry on.

Jan 05 13 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Jason B Forbes wrote:

You took that critique well...

Jan 05 13 08:07 am Link

Model

Audrian Aubri

Houston, Texas, US

Hello MM! I'm new to the site and i have little experience in modeling pleaseplease tell me what you think of my port.

Jan 05 13 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Audrian Aubri wrote:
Hello MM! I'm new to the site and i have little experience in modeling pleaseplease tell me what you think of my port.

It sux..
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you'll need to pay or find a decent photographer willing to TF with you if you wish to look more professional than a FB wanna be glam model.

...But really, you should hit the new thread button at the top of the critique forums listings if you'd like to start your own critique listing.

/thread jack

Jan 05 13 07:56 pm Link