Forums > General Industry > How to learn fashion fast?

Photographer

Sonn

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Ok say i decided i wanted to invest all of my spare time for the first half of this year into learning current/future fashion to help create and style fashion shoots.

Where would i start?
What resources should i be using?
Any general info to get me started?

Jan 07 13 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Berghammer

Seattle, Washington, US

Fall in love with it, pick up books on fashion history as it pertains to art and culture .Look into the popular trends across the last 100 years because styles are cyclical. Look into the artists who are creating the styles you are interest in, research their artistic vision and gravitate towards shooting looks you understand. 

probably not a bad idea to at least pick up a compulsory understanding of the pattern, sewing, and tailoring, process.

Basically I think it's a question that deserves a bigger answer than flipping through a couple issues of Vogue.

Jan 07 13 02:45 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Turn gay.

Poof, instant fashionista.

lol

Jan 07 13 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Jamtron Studio

Venice, Florida, US

You're asking how to learn to have a creative eye. I don't think it's something you can learn, you're born with it. Talk to successful stylists, they'll tell you they've always been styling, even as a child styling their friends and family and themselves. They're always looking at what people are wearing and studying why it does or doesn't work. That said, just notice what teens are wearing on the street, you'll notice new trends there, buy British pop culture mags, they're the best for styling and trends.

Jan 07 13 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Jamtron Studio

Venice, Florida, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
Turn gay.

Poof, instant fashionista.

lol

That helps, but I know a lot of gays with really bad taste smile

Jan 07 13 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

You don't.

That'd be like learning music or poetry fast. It doesn't work like that.

Jan 07 13 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Awesome Headshots

San Ramon, California, US

Move to NY.

Jan 07 13 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Know Idea

Los Angeles, California, US

Awesome Headshots wrote:
Move to NY.

Yup. Intern, then assist.
Or at least go to Sydney and get in with the big players there.

Jan 07 13 07:52 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

per your profile:  I like to use makeup artists/hair stylists wherever possible as i feel they add alot to the shot...

change that "whenever possible" to "always."

fashion is as much making a presentation statement as it is about the camera and lighting.  if you know your camera and lights, as it appears you do, then the fashion component becomes the styling, from hair, make-up, wardrobe to the set design.

Jan 07 13 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Crack The Sky wrote:
Ok say i decided i wanted to invest all of my spare time for the first half of this year into learning current/future fashion to help create and style fashion shoots.

Where would i start?

Two Words:

Alexander McQueen.

Jan 07 13 08:05 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Jan 07 13 11:03 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

291 wrote:

Fashion is about aspiration, not hair and makeup.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 07 13 11:04 am Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i'd say step one would be to look at runway shows from the current and recent seasons.

step two would be to look at fashion editorials.

Jan 07 13 11:24 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

291 wrote:

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

aspiration is the statement fashion makes.  what makes that statement is how it's presented.

Jan 07 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Crack The Sky wrote:

Where would i start?

Actually, I saw your post right after you've made it, and I subscribed to this thread, because I am always ready to learn more.

Here is my unqualified'ish opinion:

First, I do not subscribe to the idea that either you have a fashion sense or you don't... at least not on an imperative level, because even if you are style-challenged, you can still learn about trends, what is in style and what not and can develop a certain understanding of what fashion is.

A man who knows his stuff Mr. Stefano Brunesci recommended some fashion magazines to learn about fashion and Mr. Ian Berghammer recommended to learn about the history of fashion which is a great start... reading current magazines about what is in season, for men, e.g. Men's Vogue, Esquire or GQ can give good ideas.

For females, there are many more options to chose from...

IMHO, fashion and fashion photography is not rocket-surgery and it's also not about curing cancer.

Can you become "brilliant" if you have NO fashion sense, following my recommendations up there?

Don't know the answer to that... maybe not... but maybe there is something in the depth of your subconscious hidden that is suddenly brought to the forefront and something is triggered that releases your inner fashion genius...

Example from a different field... all my life, I've been a photographer and visualized things... I had never the faintest idea that I could draw or paint... so, during life circumstances, I took a drawing course, hoping that I'll be just good enough to be able to sketch a photoshoot idea and will hopefully be able to recognize what the idea was... two weeks into the program... they decided to make me the next tutor, as soon as the next position becomes available and lo and behold... I was teaching art for three years, including drawing, acrylic and art history... for which I prepared myself before the classes and learned tremendously while doing it.

So, hope that gives you a different perspective.

Looking forward to see others contributing resources, because for me... learning never stops, unless I am dead!

Jan 07 13 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Now I know why I read all your posts.

Jan 07 13 03:12 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

it takes a bit of time, but just dive in as quickly as possible.

watch fashion editorials and blog every single day. fashionising.com and fashiongonerogue.com are a great start, and there are lists here on mayhem of fabulous fashion blogs too.

I'm starting to dabble a bit in styling as well, and a tip I can personally give you is to start studying streetlooks as well. People who love fashion can have very eclectic styles, and where I used to go "wow that's just ugly" I can now appreciate it as a form of art and expression, even if it is not something I would wear myself

http://styleinvasion.com/blog/2011/05/1 … ion-blogs/ (might be a good place to start)

If you want to, as an extra, you could look into the history of fashion a bit,  but I personally don't find that a must. I have a personal interest in that aspect, but for actual styling work I have found it more helpful to look into the trends of the future. As you may know fashionshows are about a year ahead, so follow what is going to be in next year and anticipate that. And at the same time realize that certain items are timeless smile

also, follow carine roitfeld like a hawk... I don't like her personally, but that woman does know fashion!

also, from a practical point of view: start out with simple styling. you may find some crazy megastyled shoot out there that you love and get inspired by, but start with simple things.

most of all, fashion is really about a feeling, an emotion, a drive. it comes from the heart. so you need to feel it for it to really click, and that may take some time...

Jan 07 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Studio MD - Casting

Los Angeles, California, US

It's really not hard to copy fashion if that's your jive. I've seen photographers in Seattle, Chicago, Phoenix, Miami, Dallas and other cities pick up the basic aesthetic of common fashion magazines within a year or two. They gather the simplest lighting structures, copy the poses and attitudes, and gather a ton of local business. It's not my game, but there's no shame in that game if you're looking to make some scratch and survive... (just remember that ANYONE can do that).

I really don't think that work looks good because it's generic as fuck, but it's not hard to do. You can do this by just looking at FGR, Models.com, and the forums in FashionSpot. This won't give you an original style and you'll have generic shit that will be dated in 4 years, but can give you an easy training and will impress the locals.

Another way: Go hook up with people in your scene and start shooting. Talk to the best local designers you can reach and the best local photographers and the best models and work together on experimentation. A lot of really cool movements come from random cities like Oslo, Berlin, Sao Paolo, etc... because people are playing (Right now Iceland has a REALLY cool scene happening! It's a handfull of creatives doing their own thing and you can see how it is influencing others). If you want a long term career, I suggest individuation.

Jan 07 13 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Crack The Sky wrote:

Where would i start?

Part of it is history as someone mentioned, part of it is current as others mentioned, part is knowing who is doing what as in fashionspot and stuff. That's fine, and there are a lot of art historians and curators who themselves aren't great artists but are great at what they do in the industry.

So yes, by getting a education - which at a high level shouldn't take long - you can be set, or at least talk at a decent level with others in the industry.

But as some mentioned you also need your own voice. Knowing things is great, but you need to transfer that into what you can do and your artistic eye.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jan 07 13 08:33 pm Link