Forums > Model Colloquy > It means a lot when .............

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I have been shooting nudes for 5 years.  It has become just another shoot. 

Having said that, it still meas a lot when the model poses nude in front of the camera.  I value the trust they have given me; I thank you. 

To be fair, I don't think I can be a butt naked model, I am just sayin'  smile

Jan 07 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I've been doing it for 10 years.  You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

And generally, I am when I'm behind the camera and they're in front of it.  The surreal part is when they're just walking around naked between setups or they run around to where I am to see the image. 

I suppose that in a general way, I'm still a little intimidated by a beautiful naked woman when she breaks that safety boundary the camera affords me.

Jan 07 13 11:18 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

when i'm shooting the sexy stuff i need to see it, feel it, to get the best shots. but once i put the camera down it's time to be professional. plus i do a lot of repeats and after a while you've probably met their SO and photographed their kids at xmas so you just choose not to think about them in a way that would be improper. and sometimes maybe a model is so your type that it's best not to work with them unless something more is of mutual interest.

Jan 07 13 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I suppose that in a general way, I'm still a little intimidated by a beautiful naked woman when she breaks that safety boundary the camera affords me.

Hahah.... intimidating, yes!!!!       When I shoot a tall skinny and beautiful agency mode, I am the same way. For the first 10 shots, I would keep thinking, I don't deserve to shoot her.  After 10 min of warm up, I am fine and back to my "professional" self.

Jan 07 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

twoharts wrote:
when i'm shooting the sexy stuff and sometimes maybe a model is so your type that it's best not to work with them unless something more is of mutual interest.

I don't have your problem.  I won't be her type or I am not in her league.  big_smile

Shoot: Yes,
Professional relationship:  Yes
Friends:  No

So far so good.

Jan 07 13 11:53 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

There are two things that are meaningful to me...

above all I love when I get shots back and my husband likes them so much he had to put them on his phone, desktop, etc etc.

and also how much importance a photographer places on being professional (like timely delivery of product). I like when people keep their word. I'm still waiting on images from shoots 3 months ago, those photogs are off my list.

Jan 09 13 12:09 pm Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

What a beautiful thread. I very much appreciate this! It's easy to forget (for models and photographers) that posing nude is such an intimate act. I was joking with a good model friend about how even the most experienced and professional photographers still have a, "oh!" moment when a woman gets naked and starts posing in front of them. Granted, it lasts longer some more than others, but it really is a thoroughly wonderful, trusting experience.

Jan 09 13 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

NYMPH wrote:
It's easy to forget (for models and photographers) that posing nude is such an intimate act.

I have done both - been the nude model (with female photographers), although it has been awhile, and been on the other side of the camera. I never thought of it as being "intimate". It wasn't like work either. It just seemed like an experience of trying to make something artistic.

But just one worthless opinion.   smile

Jan 09 13 03:14 pm Link

Model

Roxy Vandiver

Houston, Texas, US

I'm always a little shy at first when I drop my clothes and reveal my cash & prizes.  For me, the moment comes with a tinge of self-consciousness and an inner monologue that goes something like....

"Does the photographer think my body isn't perfect enough?  Are they staring at my flaws?  Am I more or less flawed than the girls they usually work with?  Are they gonna photoshop out this scar?  Is it cold enough in here so that my nipples are perky, but not so cold that I'm uncomfortable?"  ....and so on....

But then the camera starts clicking and I slip out of "just a girl" mode into "professional model" mode and I rock it to the best of my ability.  Within 5 minutes I've usually found my groove.  10 minutes and I'm totally comfortable.  By the half hour mark, I'm that girl who's just walking around the studio naked, sipping on red Bull and running behind the camera to have a peek. 

~Roxy

Jan 09 13 10:34 pm Link

Model

Calypso Moon

Banning, California, US

And generally, I am when I'm behind the camera and they're in front of it.  The surreal part is when they're just walking around naked between setups or they run around to where I am to see the image. 

I've noticed this a couple of times at nude shoots.  The photographer seems completely oblivious to the nudity until I start walking around doing everyday things -- eating, fixing my makeup, looking at the images.  I bring a robe now, to avoid making anybody uncomfortable.

Jan 09 13 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Yes, I have experienced that too -- looking through the camera definitely creates an objective distance that evaporates once the camera is put down.

Jan 09 13 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I thought that briefly during my first such shoot, then it dawned on me that if the model is comfortable, that is the only thing that matters. 

If she's happy/comfortable then I'm fine.

(If she isn't, I want to know, so we can try to fix it, whatever it may be.)

Back to the OP, agree 100%, that trust should not be taken for granted, nor abused.

Jan 09 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I too have great respect and appreciation for my nude models both when they are in front or off camera.
I have no issues with their openness around me, it is normal to me as if they are clothed and a sign of trust in me but that doesn't mean that I get a little wide eyed at their beauty sometimes.
I have been doing this for a long time and nudity is second nature but sometimes I too have to step back, take a deep sigh and momentarily give a bow to the gift in front of me... then I carry on with the task at hand, creating collaborative art wink

Jan 09 13 11:24 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

Aweh, thanks...

Just another nude model here happy to know we are appreciated - and so professionally too smile

Jan 10 13 03:35 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
I have done both - been the nude llama (with female photographers), although it has been awhile, and been on the other side of the camera. I never thought of it as being "intimate". It wasn't like work either. It just seemed like an experience of trying to make something artistic.

But just one worthless opinion.   smile

I agree. Although I feel the same about clothed shots yet, it is much easier to pose buck-naked, (completely nude.)
Jen
p.s. edit: however not only do I come from a VERY natural family with no hang ups about nudity but, I've worked in health care for 20 years and am a nurse and have seen many patients in their skin and see dignity in people whether robed, clothed or not.

Jan 10 13 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Mark Harris Photography

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

I've been shooting nudes just over 4 years.

Nudity has become so much the norm on a shoot for me that it does not feel unusual when a model stands next to me to look at images. After we're all done it hits me what has happened and how normal it felt. Maybe spending time at a nude beach has helped in that.

I did have an unusual one recently when a model gave me a thank you hug while still undressed.

Jan 10 13 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Roxy Vandiver wrote:
For me, the moment comes with a tinge of self-consciousness and an inner monologue that goes something like....

"Does the photographer think my body isn't perfect enough?  Are they staring at my flaws?  Am I more or less flawed than the girls they usually work with?

No worries. We have our own inner monologue that goes something like...

"Do I deserve to be shooting this model? Hopefully she doesn't think I'm staring at her boobs when figuring out the composition? I hope she likes these pictures? Am I more or less competent than the photographers she usually works with? And dammit, why am I still sweating after rushing to carry my gear up a flight of stairs and set everything up?

Your fears aren't our fears and vice versa but it's funny how we still think about them. We're just happy to have the chance to work with you. smile

Jan 10 13 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Roxy Vandiver wrote:
I'm always a little shy at first when I drop my clothes and reveal my cash & prizes.  For me, the moment comes with a tinge of self-consciousness and an inner monologue that goes something like....

"Does the photographer think my body isn't perfect enough?  Are they staring at my flaws?  Am I more or less flawed than the girls they usually work with?  Are they gonna photoshop out this scar?  Is it cold enough in here so that my nipples are perky, but not so cold that I'm uncomfortable?"  ....and so on....

But then the camera starts clicking and I slip out of "just a girl" mode into "professional model" mode and I rock it to the best of my ability.  Within 5 minutes I've usually found my groove.  10 minutes and I'm totally comfortable.  By the half hour mark, I'm that girl who's just walking around the studio naked, sipping on red Bull and running behind the camera to have a peek. 

~Roxy

Aww, I learned so much from this post. Thank you!

Jan 10 13 09:25 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IDiivil wrote:
Aweh, thanks...

Just another nude model here happy to know we are appreciated - and so professionally too smile

Mmmhmm smile

+1

Jan 10 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Agree with OPs sentiment, more so that I shot some first time nudes and fetish nudes. I feel appreciated, honored  that they trusted me with their first shoot in this genre. So hats off and thanks to models!

Jan 10 13 09:39 am Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I have great respect for nude models, and because they are so open with themselves and confident it really makes it easy for photographers to get the best shots possible.
All the nude models I've worked with had the best personallity out of all models I've worked with. They were fun to talk to, very open minded and just amazing persons all around, and every shoot was a memorable experience.

Jan 10 13 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Haven't been doing this very long. Yet I can also say that it is not a mundane task, it is a gift to me.

Each nude shoot is a session in intimacy, for which I have so much respect.

Still shy, always will be. When model come up beside me naked I too feel that without the camera as an excuse, it is indeed intimidating.

Jan 10 13 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Connor Photography wrote:
I have been shooting nudes for 5 years.  It has become just another shoot. 

Having said that, it still meas a lot when the model poses nude in front of the camera.  I value the trust they have given me; I thank you. 

To be fair, I don't think I can be a butt naked model, I am just sayin'  smile

I take it in stride during the shoot, although I certainly enjoy the beauty of the form.  The thing that has the most impact on me is the trust shown when novices pose nude for me, or when someone who is only comfortable with "implied" or "faceless" being public poses fully nude, and trusts that I'll follow our agreement. 

That is an honor.

As far as the "when not shooting" part, it seems that if the model is nude because of the shoot, it's all the same, even if we're on break, or whatever.  That's just the nude model.  But, if the context isn't a shoot, say we met for coffee to discuss concepts, and she had her shirt open, that's a different matter.  The sexiest moment I recall for me as a "guy" with a model was when the strap on her shirt slid down and showed bare shoulder as we drove across town.  This was an hour after shooting explicit nudes as pure business.

Jan 10 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Neil Snape wrote:
Haven't been doing this very long. Yet I can also say that it is not a mundane task, it is a gift to me.

Each nude shoot is a session in intimacy, for which I have so much respect.

Still shy, always will be. When model come up beside me naked I too feel that without the camera as an excuse, it is indeed intimidating.

I just figure that as old and fat and bald as I am, there's no way in the world these young ladies would be getting naked for ME, so they must just be doing nude work with me as a photographer.  I'm honored that they think that highly of my work, and my professionalism, but I can't imagine it being personal.

Jan 10 13 11:28 am Link

Model

Roxy Vandiver

Houston, Texas, US

Toto Photo wrote:

Aww, I learned so much from this post. Thank you!

Jan 10 13 09:01 pm Link