Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Tied a model to a chair, opinons. 18+

Photographer

Sedition1216

Posts: 273

Buffalo, New York, US

Thanks, I think I am going to try to reshoot and improve the lighting. I was very iffy on the lighting myself to begin with. I appreciate all the comments that were actually helpful. The "model" has been a friend since high school and has always been into "goth" or "alternative" themes and was very happy to do the shoot by the way. I was not photographing and posting my own crime lol!

Jan 07 13 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Posts: 2874

Broomfield, Colorado, US

You don't seriously expect a critique on all these photos do you?  Pick one  or two for your own reasons, and ask for a critique.
Just my opinion.

Jan 07 13 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

John M Hoyt

Posts: 347

Greenville, South Carolina, US

DVP Photography wrote:
You don't seriously expect a critique on all these photos do you?  Pick one  or two for your own reasons, and ask for a critique.
Just my opinion.

I think they want your thoughts on the theme.

I think it is rapey.

Jan 07 13 11:43 pm Link

Model

EmGii

Posts: 151

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

John M Hoyt wrote:

I think they want your thoughts on the theme.

I think it is rapey.

kinda reminds me of the time i got yeahh. hmm

Jan 07 13 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Sedition1216

Posts: 273

Buffalo, New York, US

John M Hoyt wrote:

I think they want your thoughts on the theme.

I think it is rapey.

Lol, it kind of is... I am obviously NOT looking for a critique of each and EVERY photo if any jump out at you please let me know I like it as a whole though a few are out of focus and are only included to continue the story and keep things in context. Anyway, please let me know what ones you think are port worthy if any and a a general critique of the set of photos as a whole would be cool too.

I will edit the original post for a little clarity smile thanks!

Jan 07 13 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85307

Hayward, California, US

The light is flat and unattractive.  The pictures, for the most part, seem underexposed. 

The most interesting of the bunch are the close up of the model crying.

Jan 07 13 11:58 pm Link

Model

all_names_are_taken

Posts: 337

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Creepy as shit.

Not in a good way; I have some discomfort toward the mind that finds these to be good images.

Jan 08 13 07:27 am Link

Photographer

GoodVendettaPhotography

Posts: 3

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I don't see the point in this shoot, but I'm not into fetishes either. Hopefully, she requested this... The pics are pretty underexposed and even the shutter seems to be off.

Jan 08 13 07:42 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2918

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

looks like your camera is broken

Jan 08 13 07:50 am Link

Photographer

James Ogilvie

Posts: 6711

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I pretty much hate them.

Maybe that's what you're going for?

Jan 08 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Posts: 8355

Imperial, California, US

Not one keeper in the lot!! Poorly lit, poorly posed, horrible cropping on most... IMHO

Jan 08 13 07:15 pm Link

Model

Karlieh G

Posts: 48

Auburn, Kentucky, US

I really like the close up shots of the hands. The model shows definite emotion. It's an interesting idea.

Jan 08 13 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Posts: 8841

Delphos, Ohio, US

Bondage and implied violence (kidnapping, etc.)... a lot of them should be marked 18+.

Anyway, there are a few interesting images in the set, but I don't like them on the whole. From a technical point of view, there's too much inconsistency. Pick a color temp and stick with it, maybe?

Thematically, it's a jumble, too. There are little details that distract from your intended purpose (at least, what I can only assume is your intended purpose.)

The model is supposedly being tortured by restraint or something... but, in many of the shots, she just looks bored.

Jan 08 13 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Posts: 12117

Tampa, Florida, US

The only one that really stands out to me that I like, obviously subjective, is the 5th one. The closeup with the mask(?)/stocking cap(?). With some processing I might go with the one before it too...the side view with the garage and paint cans showing.

I don't particularly care for the expressions of the model (she's not selling me on the concept) and the lighting, although it was a good effort, is lacking for me. I would have liked to either have seen a harsh/spotlight type source on the model or dark all-around. But there's something about that moody lighting just on the model that doesn't fit with the concept. It's almost romantic and it's very yellow.

Jan 08 13 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Posts: 12117

Tampa, Florida, US

GoodVendettaPhotography wrote:
I don't see the point in this shoot, but I'm not into fetishes either. Hopefully, she requested this...

Hopefully she requested this? Well, I would certainly hope nobody would be foolish enough to ask for a Critique on the documentation of their crimes lol.

I think we can safely assume the model was a willing participant lol.

Jan 08 13 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sedition1216

Posts: 273

Buffalo, New York, US

Damon Banner wrote:
The light is flat and unattractive.  The pictures, for the most part, seem underexposed. 

The most interesting of the bunch are the close up of the model crying.

Thank you for the comment.

Jan 09 13 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Sedition1216

Posts: 273

Buffalo, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
Bondage and implied violence (kidnapping, etc.)... a lot of them should be marked 18+.

Anyway, there are a few interesting images in the set, but I don't like them on the whole. From a technical point of view, there's too much inconsistency. Pick a color temp and stick with it, maybe?

Thematically, it's a jumble, too. There are little details that distract from your intended purpose (at least, what I can only assume is your intended purpose.)

The model is supposedly being tortured by restraint or something... but, in many of the shots, she just looks bored.

Thanks, I actually took what I considered to be the best and converted them to B+W. I think it really improved them as a whole. smile

Jan 09 13 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Sedition1216

Posts: 273

Buffalo, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
The only one that really stands out to me that I like, obviously subjective, is the 5th one. The closeup with the mask(?)/stocking cap(?). With some processing I might go with the one before it too...the side view with the garage and paint cans showing.

I don't particularly care for the expressions of the model (she's not selling me on the concept) and the lighting, although it was a good effort, is lacking for me. I would have liked to either have seen a harsh/spotlight type source on the model or dark all-around. But there's something about that moody lighting just on the model that doesn't fit with the concept. It's almost romantic and it's very yellow.

Thank you too, I really do need to work on my lighting!

Jan 09 13 02:42 am Link

Model

Jojo West

Posts: 994

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I think you were going in the right direction with it but should work on the lighting.

Jan 09 13 11:47 am Link