Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Where to find info and tips on photoshop?

Photographer

Cuervo79

Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala

I was retouching a photo using the healing brush and then I noticed (just purchated photoshop cs6 coming from cs3) an icon on the options panel that looks like the icon in the layers panel where you select an adjustment layer but with a diagonal line on it but have no idea what it is, so I started searching first on the adobe help page and then google but no success. So with this whole new change I've made with the new photoshop I'm interested to know if you guys know any good web pages where I can find good info and tips on photoshop?

Jan 08 13 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cuervo79 wrote:
I was retouching a photo using the healing brush and then I noticed (just purchated photoshop cs6 coming from cs3) an icon on the options panel that looks like the icon in the layers panel where you select an adjustment layer but with a diagonal line on it but have no idea what it is, so I started searching first on the adobe help page and then google but no success. So with this whole new change I've made with the new photoshop I'm interested to know if you guys know any good web pages where I can find good info and tips on photoshop?

www.adobe.com

Jan 08 13 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

lots of help videos on youtube try there.

Jan 08 13 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

click snap

ACE, Texas, US

There are tons of sites on the internet, some free and some are not.  Just Google and pick your favorite.

Jan 08 13 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

First of all, it is a shame we, the public, have allowed Adobe, Microsoft and others to stop publishing Users Guides (complete with an index) and including them with the product. It was an easy way for these wealthy companies to decrease their costs and increase our frustrations. Besides such a Users Guide, I can think of no way you could quickly find out what that little icon means.

OP To answer your question. I waste a LOT of time and money using the following sources trying to learn the simple basics of Adobe tools:

adobe.com
youtube.com
lynda.com
modelmayhem.com

Also the product itself has a Help button which takes you off into outer space and rarely, if ever, deeply connects with the question asked.

The product also allows you to download "Help"--a very poorly designed system which will only search if you know the appropriate Adobe lingo, if you happen to use a synonym, forget it.

Jan 08 13 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Cuervo79

Illuminate wrote:
www.adobe.com

LOL I did search there and google, thank you for taking the time to help though.

I was thinking of a blog or page where you cand find interesting stuff, I know about lynda.com but still they arent really big on small tips or info where an advanced user of photoshop can benefit.

Jan 08 13 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Cuervo79

Toto Photo wrote:
First of all, it is a shame we, the public, have allowed Adobe, Microsoft and others to stop publishing Users Guides (complete with an index) and including them with the product. It was an easy way for these wealthy companies to decrease their costs and increase our frustrations. Besides such a Users Guide, I can think of no way you could quickly find out what that little icon means.

OP To answer your question. I waste a LOT of time and money using the following sources trying to learn the simple basics of Adobe tools:

adobe.com
youtube.com
lynda.com
modelmayhem.com

Also the product itself has a Help button which takes you off into outer space and rarely, if ever, deeply connects with the question asked.

The product also allows you to download "Help"--a very poorly designed system which will only search if you know the appropriate Adobe lingo, if you happen to use a synonym, forget it.

LOL completely in agreement with you I hated when they decided to stop giving out a printed manual (I remember I read the photoshop cs manual cover to cover and glanced at it from time to time) the help button that takes you to outer space analogy is completely correct I did exactly that and the search feature in the help page gave me lots of hits but nothing that helped me.

Jan 08 13 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

scubie

Worthing, England, United Kingdom

Try "adobe tv" really good tutorial videos on there.AND free!!

http://tv.adobe.com/?promoid=JOPCR

Jan 08 13 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

BaronBaker

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, North Carolina, US

There is a guy on Flicker.com Tennessee_Gator he does a great job
http://www.flickr.com/groups/photoshopsupport/
that group covers a lot and if you go to his site he has tutorials and such.. great resource
peace
baron

Jan 08 13 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Cuervo79

Thank you for the resources....

Jan 08 13 02:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Cuervo79 wrote:
an icon on the options panel that looks like the icon in the layers panel where you select an adjustment layer but with a diagonal line on it but have no idea what it is,

If you hover over it for a couple of seconds, a tool tip should display telling you what it is. Like this ...

https://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9084/healh.jpg

If it doesn't display, go to Edit > Preferences > Interface and tick "Show tool tips."

Jan 08 13 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Cuervo79

Peano wrote:

If you hover over it for a couple of seconds, a tool tip should display telling you what it is. Like this ...

https://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9084/healh.jpg

If it doesn't display, go to Edit > Preferences > Interface and tick "Show tool tips."

Thank you, unfortunately the tool tip does not display and I have show tool tips checked...

Jan 08 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mont Vert Studio

West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, US

There are a lot of good videos on YouTube and Vimeo.   Also, NAPP is a good resource, as is Kelby Training.

Jan 08 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

LcD

Astoria, New York, US

there's a lot of good stuff here: http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv/

Jan 08 13 05:30 pm Link