Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Accents that throw me.

Photographer

Svend

Posts: 25135

Boulder, Colorado, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

I actually have laughed at a Montreal "gangsta" who was posturing and trying to be threatening and tough, but all he spoke was french. It was just so funny.

It probably wouldn't have been funny if he and his friends kicked my teeth in, but rolling on the floor laughing was not a response they were used to so they just left.

My god, you are so tough and cool!  Can I follow you around and learn to be as rock star as you?

Jan 09 13 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

Posts: 14029

San Pedro, California, US

Svend wrote:
My god, you are so tough and cool!  Can I follow you around and learn to be as rock star as you?

Hey, don't cut in line, buddy. yikes

Jan 09 13 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Posts: 37171

Columbus, Ohio, US

Svend wrote:
My god, you are so tough and cool!  Can I follow you around and learn to be as rock star as you?

Andialu wrote:
Hey, don't cut in line, buddy. yikes

Hey, I wanna be first! mad

Jan 09 13 10:26 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Andialu wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you did that.

Yeah I did, but at the time I didn't know they were gang members(Canadian gang hoods are much nicer than US gang hood apparantly, way to go Canada) and as far as I could tell they didn't have guns, I just though they were ridiculous.

To me French is not one of those languages that I find threatening. Its a romantic or food related language, like Italian.

A threatening language is German or Russian were everything sounds like they are going to murder you just for breathing.

Jan 09 13 10:26 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 37563

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm from southern Appalachia. People up here tell me I sound European all the time.

Jan 09 13 10:27 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

JadeDRed wrote:

British people are fairly racially diverse, comes from having had an empire i suppose.

Indeed but outside of Britian, or at least here in the US, I seem to be getting vanilla. I want some variety in my international ice cream.

Jan 09 13 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

Posts: 14029

San Pedro, California, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
Yeah I did, but at the time I didn't know they were gang members(Canadian gang hoods are much nicer than US gang hood apparantly, way to go Canada) and as far as I could tell they didn't have guns, I just though they were ridiculous.

To me French is not one of those languages that I find threatening. Its a romantic or food related language, like Italian.

A threatening language is German or Russian were everything sounds like they are going to murder you just for breathing.

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/6097/25607910_.jpg

When I read your posts I read them in this kids voice. Makes them fun to read. lol

Jan 09 13 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Posts: 13507

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

Svend wrote:
My god, you are so tough and cool!  Can I follow you around and learn to be as rock star as you?

Hey, I wanna be first! mad

No! Me!

Jan 09 13 10:28 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
I'm from southern Appalachia. People up here tell me I sound European all the time.

How often do you get the creepy Stephen King New England accent experience?

And yeah I get people catching my British accent when it sneaks out.

Jan 09 13 10:30 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1743

Washington, District of Columbia, US

lyndens wrote:
Right, you live in Kentucky.

Jan 09 13 10:30 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Andialu wrote:

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/6097/25607910_.jpg

When I read your posts I read them in this kids voice. Makes them fun to read. lol

I read them in Gilbert Gottfrieds voice or Mr Bean.

Jan 09 13 10:32 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 37563

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
How often do you get the creepy Stephen King New England accent experience?

Um, never.

Real New Englanders don't sound like TV New Englanders.

And there are several different variations of the "Boston accent," depending on where you live in the area.

People from Worcester sound different from North Shore natives, who all sound different from upper-class, old money Bostonians.

People from Dorchester and Southy have a TOTALLY distinct-sounding accent. This is especially true for the younger white people (20 somethings) who grew up in Southy, as that area was becoming more racially diverse, so they were exposed to their native inflection, plus Black and Hispanic voices. Some of them have a weird accent that is like the Dorchester accent, but mixed with contemporary "ghetto" slang and nuances. I started working in a strip club this summer, where the only two other white women there were young Southy girls. I couldn't even understand what they were saying half the time, until I got used to listening to it.

Jan 09 13 10:36 am Link

Model

Cy_n

Posts: 295

Saarbrücken, Saarland, Germany

Ronin_LLC wrote:

Yeah I did, but at the time I didn't know they were gang members(Canadian gang hoods are much nicer than US gang hood apparantly, way to go Canada) and as far as I could tell they didn't have guns, I just though they were ridiculous.

To me French is not one of those languages that I find threatening. Its a romantic or food related language, like Italian.

A threatening language is German or Russian were everything sounds like they are going to murder you just for breathing.

Yeah right .Listen Mr. Gipsy ,take your meds - the stuff you babble on withdrawal will land you in a mental ward rather sooner than later.

Jan 09 13 10:37 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

Um, never.

Real New Englanders don't sound like TV New Englanders.

And there are several different variations of the "Boston accent," depending on where you live in the area.

People from Worcester sound different from North Shore natives, who all sound different from upper-class, old money Bostonians.

People from Dorchester and Southy have a TOTALLY distinct-sounding accent. This is especially true for the younger white people (20 somethings) who grew up in Southy, as that area was becoming more racially diverse, so they were exposed to their native inflection, plus Black and Hispanic voices. Some of them have a weird accent that is like the Dorchester accent, but mixed with contemporary "ghetto" slang and nuances. I started working in a strip club this summer, where the only two other white women there were young Southy girls. I couldn't even understand what they were saying half the time, until I got used to listening to it.

I have gotten that creepy maine accent as far south as Chicopee. Which lead me to invoke my New England Rule and flee. Though its more common in Vermont and New Hampshire than Massachusetts.

I have the rule for a reason.

Jan 09 13 10:43 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Cy_n wrote:

Yeah right .Listen Mr. Gipsy ,take your meds - the stuff you babble on withdrawal will land you in a mental ward rather sooner than later.

I think this is African not Canadian, but still funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcahGlhswM
You can't rap and be hardcore IN FRENCH. If you don't think its funny because of how absurd it is. Well what would I expect from trolls.

Jan 09 13 10:50 am Link

Photographer

lynden

Posts: 8562

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ronin_LLC wrote:

I think this is African not Canadian, but still funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcahGlhswM
You can't rap and be hardcore IN FRENCH. If you don't think its funny because of how absurd it is. Well what would I expect from trolls.

Maybe it's because you don't understand french?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJVWpANjVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_hgQVjeAs

Jan 10 13 05:15 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

lyndens wrote:

Maybe it's because you don't understand french?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJVWpANjVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_hgQVjeAs

True that probably is part of it. But I find Japanese rap to be just as ridiculous and I understand most of it.

Jan 10 13 05:47 pm Link

Model

Julia Francesca

Posts: 2393

Sylvania, Ohio, US

i felt like that when i watched Snatch, lol.

Jan 10 13 05:54 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Posts: 2429

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I don't currently have an accent (I was told I had one at a younger age).

But I do surprise people with my kid-like voice.
I always wonder why they're surprised.

I speak in these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9DZKexwsao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vUlQR_fqAQ

Jan 10 13 06:06 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
i felt like that when i watched Snatch, lol.

That is half the fun of Guy Richie's movies.

Jan 10 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

rp_photo

Posts: 42551

Houston, Texas, US

The first few times I heard New Orleans accents, I thought they were from NYC or Boston.

Jan 10 13 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Posts: 29697

Portland, Oregon, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I have not tested this with Latinos

Most Esteemed ese,

I compose this missive with the intent of dissuading you from your endeavors, in the interest of your continued health and well-being.

With great respect and warmest regards,
Dr. Speedy Gonzalez Sabado-Gigante YoQuieroTacoBell, Attorney at Salsa.

Jan 10 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

I live in Washington, DC metropolitan area. Because of my job I recently ended up in a small town in a state that I don't want to mention out right. Let's just say that the name starts with a "Mon" and ends with a "tana". That place is not what I would call America. It's all white, America is not all white. It felt to me like a white people reservation. Or some sort of Disneyland park with mostly pick-up trucks and ... mostly pick-up trucks. No other attractions.

Jan 10 13 06:56 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Posts: 345

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

'' A black man speaking with a British accent '' ...
Would love to hear you say this on a crowded train in London ..

Probably any Photographer with the accents you mentioned that make you LAUGH will think twice about working with you.
It would be unfair for them to spend time working with you if your to laugh at them .....

TUT!

Jan 10 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

ChaiNoir wrote:
'' A black man speaking with a British accent ''
I find your statement offensive and poorly written

I am sorry your highness I meant to say:

"A masculine gendered individual of dark skinned mid African decent conversing in a regional dialect from the south eastern area of the British isles.

Jan 10 13 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

Different English accents pretended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

Jan 10 13 07:14 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
Different English accents pretended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

+1

I have a suppressed British accent(long story) that only comes out when I want it to or am really nervous, and I love hearing the variety of English accents from Southern to Northern, all the way to cockney.

Jan 10 13 07:17 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Posts: 345

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I am sorry your highness I meant to say:

"A masculine gendered individual of dark skinned mid African decent conversing in a regional dialect from the south eastern area of the British isles.

Highness - Bahahahahaha

Jan 10 13 07:33 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Posts: 2092

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I do not want to sound racist, though this topic will be on the edge of it though.

I was watching a movie the other day (Howling III) and the accent of one of the Black(Nor sure if he was a true aboriginal or not) actors threw me off so bad it was funny.

I don't exactly know if its a sterotype or if I am just used to certain accents but it just seems funny to me to hear someone speaking in a hilarious accent that seem so out of place for them. For example A black man speaking with a British accent.(Big Guy Richie fan)

An American accent(not that Yo Yo gangsta talk) Caribbean or even Kenyan accents I am comfortable with but anything else just makes me laugh.

I have not tested this with Latinos or Asains yet but I will let you know when I get to experience that little barrel of fun.


Oh and Canada thank you for blowing my mind with french speaking "Gangstas".
I do not care how hardcore badass, a gang banging Homie you are, if you speak French I will laugh at you.

I know what you mean. The first time I heard a black person with a British accent was at a waterpark when I was like 9.. I talked to her for like 20 minutes I thought that was the coolest thing I ever heard.

Edit- and I just started listening to Ed sheeran, who collaborates with rappers sometimes. Sooooo weird to hear English rappers...

&to the person who said something about what's so odd about a British black person, well I'm 17 I've met one, and live in the 3rd most populated city in the us. Sooo yeah. It depends on where you're from&what you're used to hearing.

Jan 10 13 07:57 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Posts: 2092

Chicago, Illinois, US

immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

That has to be crazy! Haha(:

Jan 10 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

lynden

Posts: 8562

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ronin_LLC wrote:
True that probably is part of it. But I find Japanese rap to be just as ridiculous and I understand most of it.

No doubt, some of it is.  But hip hop is like anything, there's some good shit and there's some bad shit. I also don't think hip hop has to be hard to be good or that black people have to be http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngto be worthy of attention.

Here's some guys rapping in english in front of a mattress that the garbagemen haven't picked up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVZbc0SBfKI

And here are some dudes who really want to be amazing but maybe got let down by a lack of inspiring personal experiences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfTBBaD5MjQ

Pretty bad, right?

Now, here's some good j-pop inspired house:

http://www.1ting.com/player/65/player_110877.html

Jan 10 13 09:55 pm Link

Model

lock and key

Posts: 1415

Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands

Ronin_LLC wrote:
For example A black man speaking with a British accent.

The U.K. is a cultural and ethnic melting pot, just like the United States. Does it "throw you" to hear a black person speaking with an American accent? Would an accent from one of the African countries make you more comfortable?

Jan 10 13 10:08 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Vanessa Bowman wrote:

The U.K. is a cultural and ethnic melting pot, just like the United States. Does it "throw you" to hear a black person speaking with an American accent? Would an accent from one of the African countries make you more comfortable?

Hows about instead you you trying to make this racist, maybe your try to actually um, I dunno read the posts, okay?

Ok sport now run along.

Jan 10 13 10:16 pm Link

Model

Cy_n

Posts: 295

Saarbrücken, Saarland, Germany

Ronin_LLC wrote:

Hows about instead you you trying to make this racist, maybe your try to actually um, I dunno read the posts, okay?

Ok sport now run along.

Dear Ronin, we all  know you suffer from complexes. Therefore we recommend therapy to you .Get well soon  !

Jan 11 13 02:18 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Cy_n wrote:

Dear Ronin, we all  know you suffer from complexes. Therefore we recommend therapy to you .Get well soon  !

Nope mentally sound per USMHS regulations as of November 19, 2012.

Jan 11 13 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Posts: 2123

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Ronin_LLC wrote:
I do not want to sound racist, though this topic will be on the edge of it though.

....it just seems funny to me to hear someone speaking in a hilarious accent that seem so out of place for them.... For example A black man speaking with a British accent....

and Canada thank you for blowing my mind with french speaking "Gangstas".
I do not care how hardcore badass, a gang banging Homie you are, if you speak French I will laugh at you.

Not so much racist, more badly educated.

30 seconds on google often saves one from making a fool of oneself.

"Black British is used as an official category in UK national statistics ethnicity classifications.

The black population has increased from 1.1 million to over 1.8 million from 2001 to 2011, a growth of 40%.[8] The UK has the second-largest black population in Europe, after France"

"There is evidence of the presence of black people in Roman Britain... some were in the upper echelons of society."

" Liverpool is home to Britain's oldest black community, dating to at least the 1620s"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British


" royal families from Africa and Asia... have been sending their sons to Eton for generations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_College

And French accents...

Saw a documentary about the French Foreign Legion a few years back... the toughest assault course in the world. Their record is 45 minutes; the US Marines took 7 hours:

You can see it here

"French Foreign Legion Jungle Training Guayana "

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showt … p?t=215226

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

- and I have a lot of respect for the US Marines.

Jan 11 13 03:58 am Link

Model

Anastazie

Posts: 33

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1Yi8jdnAs

Watch this, Indian woman forcing herself to speak with an American accent

Jan 11 13 04:19 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Posts: 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Hugh Alison wrote:

Not so much racist, more badly educated.

30 seconds on google often saves one from making a fool of oneself.

"Black British is used as an official category in UK national statistics ethnicity classifications.

The black population has increased from 1.1 million to over 1.8 million from 2001 to 2011, a growth of 40%.[8] The UK has the second-largest black population in Europe, after France"

"There is evidence of the presence of black people in Roman Britain... some were in the upper echelons of society."

" Liverpool is home to Britain's oldest black community, dating to at least the 1620s"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British


" royal families from Africa and Asia... have been sending their sons to Eton for generations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_College

And French accents...

Saw a documentary about the French Foreign Legion a few years back... the toughest assault course in the world. Their record is 45 minutes; the US Marines took 7 hours:

You can see it here

"French Foreign Legion Jungle Training Guayana "

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showt … p?t=215226

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

- and I have a lot of respect for the US Marines.

You have obviously misunderstood the OP. I am not saying there are no black people in Britain or that I didn't think there was.

My point was the pleasant surprise of something unexpected or different.

Jan 11 13 04:26 am Link

Model

lock and key

Posts: 1415

Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands

Ronin_LLC wrote:

Hows about instead you you trying to make this racist, maybe your try to actually um, I dunno read the posts, okay?

Ok sport now run along.

Ya, I read all of your posts, thoroughly, and with excellent comprehension.

You probably make the worst case for yourself in the history of internet arguments.

We the jury find you to be a Massive Tool.

Jan 11 13 06:43 am Link

Model

lock and key

Posts: 1415

Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands

Ronin_LLC wrote:
My point was the pleasant surprise of something unexpected or different.

There have been black people in the U.K. longer than there have been black people in the United States. How, exactly, is that "unexpected," or "different"?

Jan 11 13 06:46 am Link