Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The ugliest cars of all time

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

My vote goes to the Fiat Multipla.

http://www.rtl2.de/images/trailer/1_grip_design_fiatmultipla.png

http://www.alufelgen.oponeo.de/img/temp/fiat_multipla_i_1_6_16v__1999_ROL.JPG

It looks like a sitting duck, stuck in a life buoy.

Jan 10 13 05:19 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Justin

Posts: 21915

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I'd go with the VW Thing, the Gremlin, and the Pacer.  The Thing was ugly outside and in. You get in, put your feet forward, and there's a quarter inch of sheet metal between you and the air outside. I believe VW must've been quite mad when they decided on this one.

OP car is uglier in the pic, but it's not a car I've seen on the street, so I can't personally vouch.

Got no great love for the Scion that looks like a rolling mini-fridge, either.

Jan 10 13 05:24 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 27372

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the nissan cube

Jan 10 13 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 5983

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

AMC Pacer   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg/280px-1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg/320px-AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg/220px-AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg 

Note - the distracting advertising

Jan 10 13 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38599

Portland, Oregon, US

http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-108/%5Btitle-raw%5D/Pontiac%20Aztek_0.jpg

Pontiac Aztek

Jan 10 13 05:39 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

DougBPhoto wrote:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-108/%5Btitle-raw%5D/Pontiac%20Aztek_0.jpg

Pontiac Aztek

It's like they didn't know if they wanted to design an SUV, a Van or a Limousine...so they just merged all three concepts into one.

Jan 10 13 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

London Fog

Posts: 6770

London, England, United Kingdom

Russian Katarina wrote:
My vote goes to the Fiat Multipla.

http://www.rtl2.de/images/trailer/1_grip_design_fiatmultipla.png

http://www.alufelgen.oponeo.de/img/temp/fiat_multipla_i_1_6_16v__1999_ROL.JPG

It looks like a sitting duck, stuck in a life buoy.

This would get my vote. What in the hell were they thinking?

Jan 10 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38599

Portland, Oregon, US

Russian Katarina wrote:
It's like they didn't know if they wanted to design an SUV, a Van or a Limousine...so they just merged all three concepts into one.

If I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd link one of the pictures showing how the back folds out to allow the owner to pitch a tent.

Wait, that does not sound right... ummm


http://encarsglobe.com/data_images/models/pontiac-aztek/pontiac-aztek-03.jpg

Jan 10 13 05:42 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 27372

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Michael Bots wrote:
AMC Pacer   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg/280px-1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg/320px-AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg/220px-AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg 

Note - the distracting advertising

awww its like a little shoe

Jan 10 13 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9459

Santa Barbara, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
the nissan cube

You beat me to this... That car is hideous, it looks like it belongs in a cartoon with hip-hop rats driving it... Oh wait. tongue

Jan 10 13 05:47 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

It's like it only has two wheels - an old Citroen:

http://m0.i.pbase.com/v3/04/463304/1/50402620.126_0667_1.jpg

Jan 10 13 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

London Fog

Posts: 6770

London, England, United Kingdom

Russian Katarina wrote:
My vote goes to the Fiat Multipla

Briefly off topic, why have you retired Katarina?

Jan 10 13 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Posts: 32272

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

I disagree on the DS.

Jan 10 13 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Posts: 6822

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

Russian Katarina wrote:

It's like they didn't know if they wanted to design an SUV, a Van or a Limousine...so they just merged all three concepts into one.

I think one Friday the designers just said, "That's it, I'm going home." and some silly son of a bitch thought he was done.
I think Le Car was right up there with the ugliest cars of all time.

Jan 10 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38599

Portland, Oregon, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:

You beat me to this... That car is hideous, it looks like it belongs in a cartoon with hip-hop rats driving it... Oh wait. tongue

no, that's ikea...

oh, no, a Kia

Jan 10 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Posts: 22653

San Diego, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-108/%5Btitle-raw%5D/Pontiac%20Aztek_0.jpg

Pontiac Aztek

Design by committee. Maybe a committee of blind people.

HIDEOUS

Jan 10 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Michael Bots wrote:
AMC Pacer   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg/280px-1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontleftside.jpg  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg/320px-AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg/220px-AMC_Pacer_1975_French_advertisement.jpg 

Note - the distracting advertising

I test-drove one once. While it was butt fugly, it was actually wonderful to drive. Outstanding visibility for the driver.

Jan 10 13 05:50 pm Link

Model

Julia Francesca

Posts: 2365

Maumee, Ohio, US

i saw one one time that looked like a cockroach. i can't remember what kind it was called but there was like 9 people crammed inside it and it was TINY.

Jan 10 13 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Russian Katarina wrote:
My vote goes to the Fiat Multipla.

http://www.rtl2.de/images/trailer/1_grip_design_fiatmultipla.png

http://www.alufelgen.oponeo.de/img/temp/fiat_multipla_i_1_6_16v__1999_ROL.JPG

It looks like a sitting duck, stuck in a life buoy.

Yeah, that looks like it was designed not by committee, but by several committees that never talked to each other.

Jan 10 13 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Posts: 6822

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

Orca Bay Images wrote:

I test-drove one once. While it was butt fugly, it was actually wonderful to drive. Outstanding visibility for the driver.

The passenger door was bigger than the driver's door. I liked the Pacer. And while some might want to institutionalize me for it, I have to say the Gremlin X is my all time favorite car. I'd love to have one now.

Jan 10 13 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Posts: 11050

Sun City, California, US

Well, the Ford Flex looks like it was assembled out of welded together municipal park benches.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/12/2008/08/2009-Ford-Flex-Woody.jpg

Jan 10 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

London Fog

Posts: 6770

London, England, United Kingdom

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Yeah, that looks like it was designed not by committee, but by several committees that never talked to each other.

It looks like a clamshell!

Worst part is there are millions of these hideous things on the road here!

Jan 10 13 05:56 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

Vintagevista wrote:
Well, the Ford Flex looks like it was assembled out of welded together municipal park benches.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/12/2008/08/2009-Ford-Flex-Woody.jpg

Come on, that has to be a custom paint job, not the actual factory-delivered car.

Jan 10 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Posts: 11050

Sun City, California, US

Russian Katarina wrote:

Come on, that has to be a custom paint job, not the actual factory-delivered car.

you would think

http://image.motortrend.com/f/aftermarket/sounds-kinda-dirty-the-ford-flex-woody/10487393+cr1+re0+ar1/2009-ford-flex-woody-side-view.jpg

Jan 10 13 06:02 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Yeah, that looks like it was designed not by committee, but by several committees that never talked to each other.

Now you know why our cars in the USSR looked like this:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3134/2894367031_66529d2d8f.jpg

This prototype looks like a golf cart:

http://media.englishrussia.com/prototype_of_the_russian_zaporozhets/31.jpg

Here they watched too much Star Trek.

Soviet car:
http://www.vjcx.com/pictures/soviet-car.jpg

Space ship:
http://spaceart.de/produkte/star_trek_galileo_ii_shuttlecraft_st083-d.jpg

People also used to "pimp" their own rides in the good ole days of the USSR:

http://englishrussia.com/images/another_car_remake/1.jpg

Monster Truck - Soviet style.

Jan 10 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Posts: 5083

Catskill, New York, US

I'm retracting my previous comment about the Cube. You guys are coming up with some pretty ugly shit.

Jan 10 13 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Posts: 14740

Seminole, Florida, US

Both already mentioned:

VW thing:

http://www.theclassicbeetle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vw-thing.jpg

And the Aztek...

Jan 10 13 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Digital

Posts: 1718

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Edsel?

There was a guy in NJ who had an Edsel farm. I wish it'd still be there the day I get by with a camera.

Jan 10 13 06:08 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

My mom had a Chevy Vega. I remembered it being hella ugly when I was a little kid.

I've seen some fixed up ones, however, that were pretty sweet -- so I don't know.

Overall though, this thread is awesome.

Jan 10 13 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Posts: 3372

Boston, Massachusetts, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-108/%5Btitle-raw%5D/Pontiac%20Aztek_0.jpg

Pontiac Aztek

This gets my vote

Jan 10 13 06:11 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

Vintagevista wrote:

you would think

http://image.motortrend.com/f/aftermarket/sounds-kinda-dirty-the-ford-flex-woody/10487393+cr1+re0+ar1/2009-ford-flex-woody-side-view.jpg

All I can say is that I'd want to bridle a horse in front of it.
It looks more like a horse carriage than a car.

Jan 10 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Posts: 32272

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Tata Nano is something to see too.

Jan 10 13 06:13 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Russian Katarina wrote:
People also used to "pimp" their own rides in the good ole days of the USSR:

http://englishrussia.com/images/another_car_remake/1.jpg

Monster Truck - Soviet style.

That shit hauls rocks through the snow! Bad ass!

Jan 10 13 06:14 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What about the Ford Pinto?

Jan 10 13 06:19 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

Koryn Locke wrote:

That shit hauls rocks through the snow! Bad ass!

And as an added feature, it's a hybrid.

It runs with Vodka just as well, when you're out of gas.

Jan 10 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Posts: 11598

Wilmington, Delaware, US

The AMC Matador. Fugly!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/7248119296_51fcf2f516_c.jpg

Jan 10 13 06:20 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I fully acknowledge the ugliness of El Caminos, but they are absolutely my favorite cars of all time, and I revel in the knowledge that someday, some way, I will own an El Camino.

Complete with fuzzy dice and animal print seat covers!

Jan 10 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Posts: 1413

London, England, United Kingdom

Koryn Locke wrote:
I fully acknowledge the ugliness of El Caminos, but they are absolutely my favorite cars of all time, and I revel in the knowledge that someday, some way, I will own an El Camino.

Complete with fuzzy dice and animal print seat covers!

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/2812245441/9aeaf3f047053e846927d77c5344b590.jpeg

Jan 10 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Posts: 10637

Clearwater, Florida, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-108/%5Btitle-raw%5D/Pontiac%20Aztek_0.jpg

Pontiac Aztek

I think the designer's prior job was designing garbage trucks.

Jan 10 13 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

wildhare42

Posts: 5

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tim Little Photography wrote:
The AMC Matador. Fugly!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/7248119296_51fcf2f516_c.jpg

+ over 9000

Jan 10 13 06:30 pm Link