Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Women's skirt length and sterotypes

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg

Jan 10 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Stephen Dawson wrote:
A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg

Rosee Posey?  What too embarrassed to use their name smile

Interesting picture. Not sure what to think..... But great way to stir up discussion

Jan 10 13 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

Love it.

Jan 10 13 07:47 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

On whore.. I don't think they make skirts that small.... That's like a bandeau..

Then I have seen plenty wearing dresses that short.

Good picture. &of course people judge you on what you wear. It's not like it's something you don't have a say in it's a decision you make everyday. If you walk out of the house looking like Snooki I will absolutely try not to let you see me laughing at you:P

Dresses &fur boots over summer-.- ppl are nuts.

Idk. I do like the picture but it's like. You should expect people to judge you on what you wear.

Jan 10 13 07:55 pm Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I think it's ridiculous to judge people on clothing. I wore really short, tight mini skirts only when I was a virgin. wink

Jan 10 13 08:05 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

love it, seems accurate! assumptions-wise lol

Jan 10 13 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Really? No one here has a problem with "asking for it"?

Jan 11 13 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

So, female tennis players are sluts?  OK.

The shot would be OK without all that writing on her leg.
A much better generalization would be for make up and type of blouse she's wearing, not how high her skirt is.

Jan 11 13 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
So, female tennis players are sluts?  OK.

The shot would be OK without all that writing on her leg.
A much better generalization would be for make up and type of blouse she's wearing, than how high her skirt is.

And ballerinas as well?

Jan 11 13 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I like me some sluts. I don't know why "slut" is such a negative word though.

Jan 11 13 04:41 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I totally disagree with that. If you are going to make judgements like that (which you shouldn't anyway, but I'll just play along with the OP here....), skirt length alone is not enough of a variable. There are long skits that are completely seethrough, and there are miniskirts that you can wear with dark tights, flats and a top with no cleavage that don't look sexy at all. Too many variables.

Okay, now that I have adressed the OP... I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...

Jan 11 13 05:20 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Anna Adrielle wrote:
I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...

This.

Really, WTF is wrong with people?!

Jan 11 13 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

I like it.  It an illustration of how society views skirt lengths.  And an accurate depiction of that view, I'd say.

Jan 11 13 05:27 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Oceanside, California, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
I like it.  It an illustration of how society views skirt lengths.  And an accurate depiction of that view, I'd say.

I'm going to agree. Also to add background that wasn't added since I know the person who took it since I follow her on tumblr. This was made as high school project and is a self-portrait. Any of you who say I hate people who judge others by clothing are lying to yourselves. We all judge people by how they walk, what they wear, the color of their hair and everything. It's a human trait. If you disagree, ok. However, this is very true to life

Jan 11 13 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jan 11 13 05:47 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I like it. It's a great concept. Stirs up discussion and probably emotion in some people, serves its purpose.

Jan 11 13 06:04 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Ashley Graham wrote:

I'm going to agree. Also to add background that wasn't added since I know the person who took it since I follow her on tumblr. This was made as high school project and is a self-portrait. Any of you who say I hate people who judge others by clothing are lying to yourselves. We all judge people by how they walk, what they wear, the color of their hair and everything. It's a human trait. If you disagree, ok. However, this is very true to life

ehm, I don't think people are sluts just because of skirt length...

Jan 11 13 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I agree that you really can't judge people by their clothing, but it is a fun picture and creates an interesting way of viewing things.

Jan 11 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Anna Adrielle wrote:
ehm, I don't think people are sluts just because of skirt length...

Maybe you don't, but plenty of people do that.

And I'm betting that you make judgements about people based on appearance.  In other ways.  The human brain is a remarkable organizational tool.  It takes in visual information and categorizes and partitions the data based on a myriad of factors (which aren't necessarily irrelevant but still).  You can't help but do that whether you make negative assessments of people based on skirt length or not; your brain is still going to see something and categorize it based on learned associations.

Again, the brain just does it.  To process info without this fast partitioning would make the digestion of sensory information time-consuming to the point of being non-functional.

Jan 11 13 06:35 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I will wear proper to matronly length (possibly flirty) skirts because I do not wish to be seen as number one through 4 (on that list) by random photographers or others.

Jan 11 13 07:06 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Presley ONeil wrote:
On whore.. I don't think they make skirts that small.... That's like a bandeau..

Then I have seen plenty wearing dresses that short.

Good picture. &of course people judge you on what you wear. It's not like it's something you don't have a say in it's a decision you make everyday. If you walk out of the house looking like Snooki I will absolutely try not to let you see me laughing at you:P

Dresses &fur boots over summer-.- ppl are nuts.

Idk. I do like the picture but it's like. You should expect people to judge you on what you wear.

Yes, judgements on character or what you're into or whatever.
Sexual availability, no.

Jan 11 13 07:17 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Michael Kerrek wrote:

Not... with it being on the photo?
It's not trying to be funny. I like any discussion of how that mentality is common and should be combated.

Jan 11 13 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

KelliOnLineGlamourNude  wrote:
I think it's ridiculous to judge people on clothing. I wore really short, tight mini skirts only when I was a virgin. wink

Except that I am willing to bet you that you do it every single day of every month of every year.  WE ALL DO IT.  It is simply part of what humans do.  We take all the available information we have about a person: height, weight, race, ethnicity, eye color, hair, clothing, stride, posture, manicure, hair cut, teeth color and crookedness, complexion, smell and, based on all of that, form opinions and inferences in split seconds.   What those opinions say will vary from culture to culture, person to person, etc but, WE ALL "judge" people based, at least in part, on his or her clothing.

I judge people on their clothing all the time.  If you think you don't, read Blink.

Oh, and as to the picture:  I respect the photographers right to convey the imagery and messaging she wishes.

Jan 11 13 10:14 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

Maybe you don't, but plenty of people do that.

And I'm betting that you make judgements about people based on appearance.  In other ways.  The human brain is a remarkable organizational tool.  It takes in visual information and categorizes and partitions the data based on a myriad of factors (which aren't necessarily irrelevant but still).  You can't help but do that whether you make negative assessments of people based on skirt length or not; your brain is still going to see something and categorize it based on learned associations.

Again, the brain just does it.  To process info without this fast partitioning would make the digestion of sensory information time-consuming to the point of being non-functional.

ofcourse everybody judges, I'm not saying that we don't. but that's different from thinking someone is a whore because they're wearing a short skirt hmm

Jan 11 13 10:15 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Damianne wrote:
Not... with it being on the photo?
It's not trying to be funny. I like any discussion of how that mentality is common and should be combated.

I didn't get the sense that it is trying to be funny either.

I read it as being meant to provoke the precise discussion we're having...and why those assumptions are not okay.

Jan 11 13 10:19 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Michael Kerrek wrote:

No. I don't.

I don't think it was made to be funny at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Jan 11 13 10:22 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Anna Adrielle wrote:

ofcourse everybody judges, I'm not saying that we don't. but that's different from thinking someone is a whore because they're wearing a short skirt hmm

But that's the problem. A lot of people do think that way.

Jan 11 13 10:23 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

There's a difference between thinking "that is such a goddamn hipster" and deciding you, without speaking to someone, know what their sexual availability is and can make decisions around that without their input. Even worse, that if they say "sorry, not into having sex with strangers" they're lying because what their skirt says trumps what their mouth says.

THAT'S the problem. Not random judgements based on look.

There's the reverse, as well, that if you're not a little bit sexual than you're frigid, or old, or you're not as much of a woman.

Jan 11 13 10:27 am Link

Model

Russian Katarina

London, England, United Kingdom

Ashley Graham wrote:

Indeed.
Which is why good art makes us question and ponder these preconceptions we all have.

Jan 11 13 10:48 am Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Damianne wrote:
There's a difference between thinking "that is such a goddamn hipster" and deciding you, without speaking to someone, know what their sexual availability is and can make decisions around that without their input. Even worse, that if they say "sorry, not into having sex with strangers" they're lying because what their skirt says trumps what their mouth says.

THAT'S the problem. Not random judgements based on look.

There's the reverse, as well, that if you're not a little bit sexual than you're frigid, or old, or you're not as much of a woman.

However a woman dresses and looks, she will always be criticized by men afraid of her power and fellow women jealous of the male attention she gets. You can never please everyone, even if you wear a Burkha all day.

That's a whole realm of hurt that men never have to deal with, because they don't get objectified and sexualized by women and by other men like that.

Jan 11 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Anna Adrielle wrote:

No it's not. I think people are totally missing the point of this photograph. It's a FEMINIST piece. We live in a culture that privileges men and promotes rape. When a woman is raped, society points the finger AT HER. Well, why was she out that late at night? Why was she alone? Why was she unarmed? How much did she have to drink? Why was her skirt that short? Did she lead him on? Was she "asking for it?" etc etc etc.

This photo illustrates rape culture perfectly.

Jan 11 13 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

I also love that she included insults for skirts that are TOO long, which represents the idea that women MUST be sexy but not TOO sexy. You must always walk a fine line of being sexually available to a man. If you're too provocative, then you're asking for it, but if you're too demure, then you're insulted for being prudish and matronly.

This is really brilliant. I am even more impressed to learn that this was done by someone in high school

*sheds a happy tear for the youth*

Jan 11 13 11:19 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
Okay, now that I have adressed the OP... I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...

We're assuming that's what they meant, that could mean SO many things.

Maybe they meant asking for a spanking? That's when I wear my really short skirts.

Jan 11 13 11:21 am Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
I also love that she included insults for skirts that are TOO long, which represents the idea that women MUST be sexy but not TOO sexy. You must always walk a fine line of being sexually available to a man. If you're too provocative, then you're asking for it, but if you're too demure, then you're insulted for being prudish and matronly.

This is really brilliant. I am even more impressed to learn that this was done by someone in high school

*sheds a happy tear for the youth*

https://i45.tinypic.com/9a72qe.jpg

Both can be true.

Jan 11 13 11:23 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

I saw that image early this morning and just kept scrolling. I wear my skirts at the slut and asking for it levels, because my hubby likes it and his is the only opinion that matters. Am I a slut? Nope. People that will judge someone by the length of their skirt are just ignorant, lol.

Jan 11 13 11:24 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Russian Katarina wrote:

https://i45.tinypic.com/9a72qe.jpg

Both can be true.

Because they both are.

Jan 11 13 11:24 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

"Asking for it" is pretty terrible, IMO.

The rest are just ridiculous stereotypes.

I will say, the SIZE and ATTRACTIVENESS of a woman who wears the skirt seems to make a bigger difference than just the skirt length for some people.    This might be slightly off-topic...  but I watched this discrimination happen at an office where I used to work.

Woman A was about a size 2-4, tall, frequently came into work with high heels and short mini skirts (4" above knee) for the office, it was deemed inappropriate length for the workplace, but nobody ever complained because the girl was gorgeous.

Woman B was about a size 10-12, short, curvy, wore tall boots and a mini skirt to work *once* and was pulled into HR and was told to change because her clothing was inappropriate for the office.

I've seen other examples of women wearing low-cropped tops; one with larger breasts, one with smaller; the one with larger always got spoken to.

Jan 11 13 11:30 am Link

Model

Russian Katarina

Damianne wrote:

Because they both are.

They leave out that this culture is driven by men because women let them, though - we raise men, after all. And we are relentless at tearing down other women.

I get at least as much bullshit from my own gender than I do from the other gender and what makes it worse is that women are often more sneaky and effective at the backstabbing game than men.

Jan 11 13 11:32 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

model emily  wrote:
"Asking for it" is pretty terrible, IMO.

The rest are just ridiculous stereotypes.

I will say, the SIZE and ATTRACTIVENESS of a woman who wears the skirt seems to make a bigger difference than just the skirt length for some people.    This might be slightly off-topic...  but I watched this discrimination happen at an office where I used to work.

Woman A was about a size 2-4, tall, frequently came into work with high heels and short mini skirts (4" above knee) for the office, it was deemed inappropriate length for the workplace, but nobody ever complained because the girl was gorgeous.

Woman B was about a size 10-12, short, curvy, wore tall boots and a mini skirt to work *once* and was pulled into HR and was told to change because her clothing was inappropriate for the office.

I've seen other examples of women wearing low-cropped tops; one with larger breasts, one with smaller; the one with larger always got spoken to.

This depresses me, the amount of whoosh occurring.

Jan 11 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

The word "whoosh" comes to mind after reading some of the responses here.

Jan 11 13 11:34 am Link