Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Got My MAC Procard, So What Should I Buy

Makeup Artist

GlamourWithDjen

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I finally got my MAC procard. I am going to now try and get my Inglot one as well. I wanted to know what are some of your holy grail MAC products in your freelance kit, or just some things that would strongly suggest! I know for myself I am getting a powder, Candy Yum Yum, an empty pro palette and a few blushes. Im thinking Devil and Azelia.

Jan 14 13 07:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Pinch of Pretty MUA wrote:
I finally got my MAC procard. I am going to now try and get my Inglot one as well. I wanted to know what are some of your holy grail MAC products in your freelance kit, or just some things that would strongly suggest! I know for myself I am getting a powder, Candy Yum Yum, an empty pro palette and a few blushes. Im thinking Devil and Azelia.

Jan 14 13 08:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kim Y

Los Angeles, California, US

Mary wrote:

I don't carry MAC in my kit...can't help you there...not a fan of Inglot either...sorry.....  personally, I would stick with pro brands.  RCMA, Graftobian, Cinema Secrets, Kryolan...on and on.... as an artist I try to support brands that support artists... just my 2 cents worth

what mary said!

plus mufe hd, face atelier and cover fx for foundation

Jan 14 13 09:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ernesto M Casillas

I actually never had a problem with MAC supporting artists.
Between a generous pro discount, gratis, editorial credit, etc... they've been good to me.

I would avoid Studio Fix Fluid, it doesn't photograph well and it oftentimes oxidizes.
Studio sculpt is ok, and Matchmaster even better.

However, I'd look into other brands for foundations.
Makeup Forever carries great foundations, you can get 40% off discount.
You can always buy three shades in different foundations to start with;
A light, middle and dark. Just make sure you have adjusters to adjust the undertone if needed.

From Mac I'd look into some of their eyeshadows, lipsticks, blushes and concealers.
Their brow pencils are great too.

My advice;
Try out the products first, see how YOU like them and if they work well for you.
There are resources online with recommendations from proffesionals on products that work well from VARIOUS brands.

Don't rule a cosmetics line out because you don't like a certain product;
almost every line has it's gems.

Jan 14 13 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Mary wrote:
I don't carry MAC in my kit...can't help you there...not a fan of Inglot either...sorry.....  personally, I would stick with pro brands.  RCMA, Graftobian, Cinema Secrets, Kryolan...on and on.... as an artist I try to support brands that support artists... just my 2 cents worth

Agreed.

I do like a couple of the MAC brushes and one particular red lipstick that works for pinup looks. Thats it. lol

Love my Yaby and Graftobian. Both I got from you Mary. big_smile

Jan 15 13 05:51 am Link

Clothing Designer

Wilde Hunt Corsetry

Columbus, Ohio, US

Generally, I tend to avoid buying from them due to their dickish behavior to freelancers and cultural insensitivity (http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2 … ogosphere/)

These are a few things I haven't found a replacement for yet though.
Lipsticks - Russian Red and Film Noir
I also really like their eyeshadows Bitter ( super intense acid green) and Vellum ( white with pearly violet blue flash).

Jan 15 13 11:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I first started I filled my kit with Mac. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have done that. Pro brands give you so much bang for your buck. If you just look around you will be surprised how much bang you can get for your buck. I highly suggest www.inmykit.com for product recommendations.

But to answer your question, I think Mac eyebrow pencils, lip pencils and Mac paint for a creamy eyeshadow base are things I will continue to purchase from the brand when I am done with the other things I have purchased.

I adore graftobian, Ben nye, la femme and kryolan. I recommend those brands before you spend so much with Mac, even with the discount to build a pro kit you'll still be spending a lot at Mac.

Jan 15 13 12:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanita MUA

Seattle, Washington, US

MAC stuff I like:
-Brushes #217, #138
-Lipsticks
-Eyebrow pencils
-Lip liners

For Inglot I like:
-Eyeshadows
-Gel liners, used as eye bases

Jan 15 13 01:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

As others have said, MAC is not considered a pro brand by most pros. We all carry a variety of brands in our kits, but most of us have found that MAC's products do not meet our needs as well as brands that are superior in price point and performance. It is out of a desire to save you money and help you spend your dollars on products that will give stellar results that you are being encouraged to consider other brands.

Although there are other brands I prefer, MAC's Studio Finish and Select concealers, cream & powder blushes and eye and lip pencils work. I do actually like the Strobe Cream and most of their brushes.

Jan 15 13 03:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Diana JimenezMUA

Brooklyn, New York, US

mac pro long concealers,
mineralized skin finish naturals
eye pencils

shadows, blushes, brow pencils
lipsticks.

and face and body foundation.

Jan 15 13 04:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

GlamourWithDjen

Ernesto M Casillas wrote:
I actually never had a problem with MAC supporting artists.
Between a generous pro discount, gratis, editorial credit, etc... they've been good to me.

I would avoid Studio Fix Fluid, it doesn't photograph well and it oftentimes oxidizes.
Studio sculpt is ok, and Matchmaster even better.

However, I'd look into other brands for foundations.
Makeup Forever carries great foundations, you can get 40% off discount.
You can always buy three shades in different foundations to start with;
A light, middle and dark. Just make sure you have adjusters to adjust the undertone if needed.

From Mac I'd look into some of their eyeshadows, lipsticks, blushes and concealers.
Their brow pencils are great too.

My advice;
Try out the products first, see how YOU like them and if they work well for you.
There are resources online with recommendations from proffesionals on products that work well from VARIOUS brands.

Don't rule a cosmetics line out because you don't like a certain product;
almost every line has it's gems.

Thank you so much! So helpful. I had the Matchmaster. I wasnt a fan of it. I am combo/oily and I felt like it emphasized the oil on my nose. But I really wanted to get that because of the neutral undertones. Also, would you suggest the pro palette concealers or another.....Like I said, Im not a huge fan of MAC foundations, Im just getting it because customers like it or the name really. Honestly it bothers me when people ALWAYS ask me am I wearing MAC, ALL THE TIME! Its like theyve been brainwashed. Is MAC all you know? Ive NEVER been asked, "are you wearing NARS, Benefit, Covergirl..." no. Just MAC! I might have to give the MUFE HD a try. If I like it, Ill add it to my kit.

Jan 15 13 07:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

GlamourWithDjen

Yeah, I def havent forgotten about those brands.

Jan 15 13 07:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

GlamourWithDjen

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. They each were very helpful. I definitely will be looking into Le Femme (love the blushes), and RCMA (foundations) and all other brands that aren't mainstream to "regular" people.

Jan 15 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Pinch of Pretty MUA wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. They each were very helpful. I definitely will be looking into Le Femme (love the blushes), and RCMA (foundations) and all other brands that aren't mainstream to "regular" people.

Love my Le Femme cake mascara!

Mary has everything you need. big_smile

http://CameraReadyCosmetics.com

Jan 17 13 08:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

courthart

face and body foundations
brushes #219 and #217...... I have like 5 of each!
blotting powder
plush lash mascara
brow pencils..... lingering is a staple
eye liners.... Teddy and Smoulder (always in my kit)
ruby woo lipstick
vanilla pigment

have fun shopping!!

Jan 17 13 12:45 pm Link