Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > what took your makeup skills from amateur to pro

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello! I'm curious to learn from experienced artists what you feel took your makeup skills out of the amateur or semi pro level and turned them pro?

I'm going through a season of testing and growing in my skill level and techniques and I always love hearing from experienced artists as to what helped to really take their skills over the edge.

Thanks!

Jan 15 13 03:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynna Stylz MUA

New York, New York, US

Symmetry

Jan 15 13 06:58 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

Mastering the concept of "less is more" through tons of practice and a lot of "shoulda-coulda-woulda" when pictures came back.

Jan 15 13 07:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pinch of Pretty MUA

Deerfield Beach, Florida, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Mastering the concept of "less is more" through tons of practice and a lot of "shoulda-coulda-woulda" when pictures came back.

I find that the "shoulda-coulda-woulda" is great for me. I think it helps me grow. When I find something that I think is wrong, I remember it, practice it and fix or prevent it from happening next time.

Jan 15 13 07:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Carmen Make up and Hair

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Working with the right people.
It's an unfortunate truth - you can execute the most fantastic makeup, but if the model is new and uncomfortable in front of the camera, or the photographer doesn't know how to light things properly, your work won't look as good. Being a good networker, always being friendly and professional on jobs, is obviously very important.

Also I agree with the above posting of symmetry.  I am still working on this and I believe I forever will be. 

You also need to be open to analyze and criticize your own work, and try new things.  I zoom into a shot as much as I can to see how and where I can improve next time.  You can test and test and test all you want but if you're not learning something every single time, then it's not really worth it.

Hope some of this helps!

Jan 15 13 10:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ash Mathews

Los Angeles, California, US

I always analyze my work by zooming in really close after I get photos back. This helps me pinpoint any patterns or weaknesses that I'm not happy with. The key is to remind yourself what bothered you about your last photos and to make sure you get it right at your next shoot.

I also agree that working with the right people is important. Be open to constructive criticism from your peers as well. Other than that just keep practicing.

Jan 16 13 12:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

London, England, United Kingdom

getting paid..

Jan 16 13 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jocelyn Marie Morris wrote:
what took your makeup skills from amateur to pro

Being trained professionally with estheticians, and receiving a license...

That said, the water-shield event in my career has been migration to airbrush application methodology... this alone has increased perceived worth amongst high end clientele more than any other single factor...

Please be aware that transitioning from traditional to airbrush requires considerable dedication to the point of passion in order to achieve proficiency... Personally know some very talented colleagues who became reluctant to abandon their hard won expertise in traditional application methodologies once they discovered how alien airbrush technique was to their skill set in traditional... seems so very few are amenable to learning an entirely different workflow... many with whom I've collaborated with have also been challenged with gun/compressor maintenance... a healthy mechanical aptitude is requisite in a quest into this intriguing realm... 

all the best on your journey...

Jan 16 13 06:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

chart

assisting, assisting, assisting..... wink

Jan 16 13 11:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

chart wrote:
assisting, assisting, assisting.....

tenured wisdom...

Jan 16 13 01:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Angie L MUA

Heather J M wrote:
getting paid..

Haha. Amen.

Jan 16 13 05:02 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Platform Artist

Chicago, Illinois, US

practice, passion and most all having fun, otherwise why do it?

Jan 16 13 06:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LizW_Makeup

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Certainly blending, symmetry, color theory, etc. are all a big part of turning out professional work. But really, there's no one moment where BOOM you've gone from amateur to pro... you just keep building and improving and scrutinizing and on and on and on.

I think the main thing that distinguishes a pro MUA from a hobbyist (aside from $, anyway) is that hobbyists generally do whatever they want, while pros balance art with business. When makeup is your bottom line, it changes your strategy and your goals significantly (but, ideally, the pure love of the art and the hobbyist's enthusiasm never goes away).

Jan 19 13 03:56 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

What takes ones makeup skills from armature to pro is sadly .......
Time

Takes time to learn to develope you r aestedic
Technique
Takes time to have ...... experience
Experience is what takes your skills  from armature to pro

Experience is what gives you tons of choices to pull from

So time ........

Jan 19 13 10:09 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

Mary

Coronado, California, US

TheMakeupMan wrote:
What takes ones makeup skills from armature to pro is sadly .......
Time

Takes time to learn to develope you r aestedic
Technique
Takes time to have ...... experience
Experience is what takes your skills  from armature to pro

Experience is what gives you tons of choices to pull from

So time ........

TRUTH!

I had an assistant today...very young... I just gave her a chance because a friend asked me to.... She went for the lips with a tube of lip stick...went for the lashes with the wand from the tube...I stopped her in time because I have eyes in the back of my head (I  grew them as a mother)    I knew right then and there...there was more training with her then I had time for, as sweet as she is..   Really...people need to take the time to learn from others....read, watch, learn...don't just jump in...that arrogance will slap you down quickly.  Don't think because your friends love your makeup that you can be a makeup artist....Invest some time and money into your career. You are a pro when you're book matches the working pros in your area and you are paid like a pro....and if you skipped the due paying part of your career, you will never really have a career and no, you aren't a pro.

Jan 19 13 10:30 pm Link