Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > so, you think you know football...

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

the biggest misconception about football at the highest level is the fan thinking they know the game.  fugitaboutit, the fan doesn't really know shit.  it's a helluva lot more than understanding running a 33-dive or simple counter plays from high school days.

the following link is from one of the most intelligent sports pages out there.  the reporting goes to the level well beyond the surface of the daily news, including what is presented in si.com and espn.  the fact is, if those outlets reached for such intricacy the average fan would be so lost it would remove a lot of the joy in following sports.

here's the opportunity to view the game differently, even pointing out to those gathered around the big screen to better understand what's going down and to amaze friends with your knowledge of the game.

this is how the games you watch week-in, week-out go down...and why the patriots are always in the running.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/884 … y-patriots

this isn't to say the pats will win it all, but it's why every team is always chasing them.  they get it.  now you can tell people why.

Jan 17 13 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

52's the mike!

the patriots do nothing amazing. as the giants proved (twice), if you cover their crossing routes, and pressure brady, you can confound the shit out of them. brady typically averages about ten yards a completion.

i have always said that if you force him to throw long, you'll beat him. if he has to spend four to five seconds in the pocket, he'll fold.

Jan 17 13 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

the other great bead on sports is espn's "sports science" segments.

during the championship games this weekend you won't be wrong in pointing out how colin kaepernick can reach 80% of his maximum speed within 4-strides from a standing start.  his passing accuracy also exceeds other starting qb's this weekend.  in terms of performance upon entering the draft he blew away heisman trophy winner cam newton chosen first and all other qb's in the championship games.

whether that creates an advantage to put the 9'ers in the super bowl remains to be seen, but it does create some interesting conversation around the bowl of chips.

outside of injuries to the stars and the odd bounce of the ball we're looking at san fran against the pats in the big one.  that's the bet with the mind instead of the heart.  the science and game plan points to it.  bet wisely.

Jan 17 13 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo wrote:
52's the mike!

the patriots do nothing amazing. as the giants proved (twice), if you cover their crossing routes, and pressure brady, you can confound the shit out of them. brady typically averages about ten yards a completion.

i have always said that if you force him to throw long, you'll beat him. if he has to spend four to five seconds in the pocket, he'll fold.

hence the reads as shown in the grantland article.  if anything, the pats are an ever evolving offence and the reads are unpredictable for the defense through check-downs where one of the receivers is open to bring the ball down the field, even if just 10-yards at a time.

it's no wonder a team like the chargers and many others without that same capability are in livings rooms watching the games this weekend.

Jan 17 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

the patriots offense is neither complex, nor revolutionary. in fact, they have taken the west coast offense and truncated it. they hardly rely on a running game any more. again, make him hold the ball for five seconds, and you'll beat him.

Jan 17 13 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo wrote:
the patriots offense is neither complex, nor revolutionary. in fact, they have taken the west coast offense and truncated it. they hardly rely on a running game any more. again, make him hold the ball for five seconds, and you'll beat him.

if you read the link in the op you'll discover the pat's offense is pretty revolutionary, specifically in the naming scheme and not at all about the west coast system.

Jan 18 13 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

291 wrote:

if you read the link in the op you'll discover the pat's offense is pretty revolutionary, specifically in the naming scheme and not at all about the west coast system.

So is video taping oppositions practices... definitely revolutionary and effective.

Jan 18 13 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

One area where fans might be smarter than most coaches nowadays...situational football : like say 3 minutes left to go in the game, taking time outs, or kicking the football down the field. Makes the games more entertaining I guess though.

Jan 18 13 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva Photography wrote:
So is video taping oppositions practices... definitely revolutionary and effective.

a blip on the gamesmanship radar that isn't even mentioned toward the pats offensive scheme.  given their approach it doesn't matter.  the article linked shows that in how the offense operates.  wrong tree to be barking at.

Jan 18 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:
One area where fans might be smarter than most coaches nowadays...situational football : like say 3 minutes left to go in the game, taking time outs, or kicking the football down the field. Makes the games more entertaining I guess though.

One related area that fans are probably much smarter than ALL coaches:  most people have enough sense to NEVER use a "prevent" defense.  The "prevent" defense is by far the dumbest thing ever contrived...all it does it prevent the other team from making a touchdown in 1 play and instead makes them take 2 or 3.  It seems that 99 times out of a 100, when a team uses a "prevent" defense at the end of a game - the team they are defending against just runs over them all down the field.

Jan 18 13 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike wrote:

if i were coaching i would never punt when the ball was placed after my 35-yard line.  in fact, if commissioner i would make that a rule. 

if the team is beyond on their own 35 they would be required to go for it on 4th down.  either make the first down or kick a field goal.  having a punter on the team is an obsolete roster fill.  i'd rather have an extra wr or db instead of carrying a punter on the team.

Jan 18 13 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton wrote:
...NEVER use a "prevent" defense.

far too many times the prevent defense has shown to be prevent from winning the game!

Jan 18 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Now that so many kickers can kick the ball past the end zone and completely off the field (on kickoffs), I'd like to see them change the rule so that a touchback puts the ball on the 25 yard line, instead of the 20 (on kickoff's at least).

It might make teams think more about it before automatically just kicking the ball off the other end of the field on kickoffs!

Jan 18 13 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Art Silva Photography wrote:

291 wrote:
a blip on the gamesmanship radar that isn't even mentioned toward the pats offensive scheme.  given their approach it doesn't matter.  the article linked shows that in how the offense operates.  wrong tree to be barking at.

and yet--ironically--the pats haven't won one super bowl since they got busted for cheating.

i'm not going to read any article, because i watch a shit ton of football, and can usually call any play before the ball is snapped (most people hate watching football with me). the patriots don't do ONE thing that is better, or more advanced than any of the other 31 teams in the league.

what they do is wear you out with small ball. they don't even care to field a decent defense. other than wilfork, their defense is pedestrian at best. they got to the super bowl with the WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. read that gain.

brady's ability to pre-read coverages is no more advanced than other good qbs in the league. he is patient enough to kill you five yards at a time.
they also benefit from playing in a pretty weak division, much like denver did this year.

what happened to the pats the last few years (before last year..the year a shit kicker from b-more put ne in the super bowl) when the jets were the only team in the afc least playing in the afc championship games? and now that gronkowski is out again, you can pretty much figure baltimore will have their revenge this weekend.

Gary Melton wrote:
One related area that fans are probably much smarter than ALL coaches:  most people have enough sense to NEVER use a "prevent" defense.  The "prevent" defense is by far the dumbest thing ever contrived...all it does it prevent the other team from making a touchdown in 1 play and instead makes them take 2 or 3.  It seems that 99 times out of a 100, when a team uses a "prevent" defense at the end of a game - the team they are defending against just runs over them all down the field.

typically, yes; but ask denver how playing man coverage at the end of the game worked out for them last week. conversely, seattle's weak ass defense in the last half minute cost them the game. wtf did they have a linebacker trying to cover gonzales for??? it was weak.

Jan 18 13 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

I thought his thread was going to be about football, not a variation on Rugby football wink.

Jan 19 13 03:07 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

i never did read the article, but how did the cheats look today? formidable? did brady look like a skilled surgeon today?

smile

Jan 20 13 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

GK photo wrote:
i never did read the article, but how did the cheats look today? formidable? did brady look like a skilled surgeon today?

smile

Nah, he got diced up... Coach's karma is still biting them in the ass I guess

Jan 20 13 10:25 pm Link