Forums > General Industry > Realistically if I get tattoo'ed....?

Model

Kayla Anne Thomas

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Would an agency turn me away for having a tattoo of a poem on my side?

Jan 18 13 10:17 am Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Kayla Anne Thomas wrote:

To be honest, the tattoo wouldn't be an issue for an agency as your other physical specs fall outside of what nearly all agencies require.

Jan 18 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

Kayla Anne Thomas

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I appreciate your response smile I'm more of an actor anyways and these things are less of an issue I think. Also- I think I posted in the wrong forum! Sorry !

Jan 18 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In order of rejections

Not tall enough
Doesn't fit measurements (they'll ask you to lose weight)
Tattoo on side

The point is the tattoo would be the least of your worries.
That being said, you'll only know unless you try.. Just be prepared for what issues might come up.

Jan 18 13 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Less is more!!!

Less distraction, more work..

Jan 18 13 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

Kayla Anne Thomas wrote:

I don't know about agencies - but when it comes to photographic work - I don't see a thing wrong with you stats at all - and a poem tattoo - well I've worked with much more.

There seems to be a huge gulf between what's regarded as ideal shapes/sizes for model agencies and runway, as compared to what a typical photographer might like to shoot. The only point about tattoos is if someone particularly wanted a specific look - say a retro swimsuit scene - and the tattoo doesn't fit - well then you're talking coverup makeup or perhaps no getting the gig.

If you're ever down in the Seattle area .... look me up!

Jan 18 13 02:34 pm Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I will say that though paid work is far and between for me, being petite, older, independent..my tattoos don't hinder the work I do. As modeling is only an aspect of everything else.

I'm a journalist/writer for a monthly publication, I design websites and I have most recently delved back into acting.

And, yes, I keep my day job as an office manager/assistant.

I have had agencies inquire and I have inquired with other agencies...personally, I don't feel the need for one as modeling is just a bite of the pie.

Try you must, or fail you cannot- that's Yoda for ya...he knows whats up!

Good luck to ya

Jan 18 13 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Light Wave Photos

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I would be more worried about a stranger using needles to stick ink under my skin.

I would also be worried about getting acting roles in the future.

You look perfect now. Why change it.

Jan 18 13 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

You are a beautiful woman. Don't f*ck up your body with tats.

Jan 18 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Of course, getting a tattoo will lower your prospects at an agency & finding modeling jobs.  I suspect you know this already.

While some photographers like tattoos, and others don't care, paying clients usually avoid them:
     1)  They are distracting, always.
     2)  Once your tattoo is shown, it becomes old.
     3)  It takes time (and is therefore more money) to cover or remove ink.

Modeling is a competitive business.  Look at it this way:  if you get a tattoo and your identical twin doesn't, who is likely to get more modeling work?

In summary:  get the tattoo if you really want it, but the downside to having a tattoo is reduced chances at getting modeling jobs.

Jan 18 13 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

can i shoot your side before you go and mess it up?

Jan 18 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What happens in five years when you no longer like the poem ?

KM

Jan 18 13 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I can deal with tattoos but nothing the viewer has to read, that is just way to distracting.  Commercial clients are even less likely to hire a model with tats.  But in general anything to do with your apperence limits your work, some you can't control and some you can.

Jan 18 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Henderson Images

Springfield, Missouri, US

Old man advice.

When I was 18, my favorite bands were Kiss, Styx, and Loverboy.

I'm really, REALLY glad that tattoos weren't all the rage then.  Otherwise, I'd never be able to wear short sleeves again.

Jan 18 13 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

The answer is, anything that falls outside of agency standard is going to be limiting. So, if Agency representation is your ultimate goal then, yes, it will add to the obstacles. More likely, it won't be the tattoo but other factors that would present a difficulty in getting signed but this isn't the Critique Forum.

With that said, enough already with saying "don't fuck up your body" or "what's going to happen when you don't like the tattoo". That has nothing to do with modeling. It's something all people who get tattoos have to question before they make the decision, regardless of their occupation.

Why does every single tattoo thread turn into a personal preferences thread. OK, you don't like tattoos. But the "don't fuck up your body" advice clearly isn't model-specific because you would give the same advice if a female Attorney or Best Buy clerk was asking.

Not the question.

Edit: Now, with all that said I'd love to bitch slap the first female who decided to get writing tattooed down the side of her torso. In a few years it's become the most cliche tattoo imaginable. It's the Tramp Stamp of the decade.

A tattoo is meant to mean something personally. If that's the case, why have it tattooed somewhere where you can't read it? No, a tattoo down the torso is meant to impress others with your deep philosophical rantings in Olde English font that usually include the words "love", how strong you are, and how you're "never giving up." Yawn.

But that's my personal feeling about that type of tattoo not any professional advice (in case you couldn't tell).

Jan 18 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Randy Henderson Images wrote:
Old man advice.

When I was 18, my favorite bands were Kiss, Styx, and Loverboy.

I'm really, REALLY glad that tattoos weren't all the rage then.  Otherwise, I'd never be able to wear short sleeves again.

Good thing. I'm sure it would have severely hindered that otherwise successful  modeling career.

Jan 18 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

I would probably have Jerry Garcia, Jimmie Hendrix, etc. all over my body. Bad idea.

Jan 18 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Nelson Photograph

Dallas, Texas, US

As for my work, I specifically ask for clean skin. 
Before you get any tattoo something for you to consider.  This comes for a woman with many tattoos.

She said, "Imagine walking into a store and seeing a dress that you absolutely love, it's colorful, its out there and you instantly fall in love with.  Then imagine that every day for the rest of your life you will wear that dress, you can't take it off."
She also mentioned that others think about her differently, one time she tells of meeting someone and that person saying, "You must be Kayla's tattooed friend."  Tells her other talk about her.

Also, she was very hurt when her best friend didn't ask her to be part of her bridal party because she didn't want the tattoos in her wedding pictures.

Do what you want, its your body.  Never understood why someone would take a beautiful body with perfect, smooth skin and then pay someone to draw on it permanently.

One individual suggested having the tattoo drawn unto your skin with a marker and then see how you like the look after a couple of weeks.

Jan 18 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
What happens in five years when you no longer like the poem ?

KM

I have "one love, one heart" tatted around my lower arm ..
Do I still love it 3 years later? NOPE
Lol

Jan 18 13 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

The trouble with tattoos, as others have indicated, is that they tend to be pretty limiting.  If they're really good and eye-catching they become what the picture is about.  If they're bad, they make the whole picture look bad.  And text draws the eye even more.  We're all curious as to what it says.  As to cover-ups, it's a lot faster and easier for the photographer to just move on to the next model than it is to have a MUA hide it.

How employable would a fashion model be if she insisted on wearing a red babushka in every shot?

So no matter what your genre, you'll have to weigh the impact of the tattoo vs. your range of employability.  My best suggestion is to avoid them as long as you're trying to make money from modeling.

IMHO, as always.

Jan 18 13 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Ken Sanville Photo wrote:
I would probably have Jerry Garcia, Jimmie Hendrix, etc. all over my body. Bad idea.

I don't have tattoos, but I'd damn well rather have Jimi Hendrix than Loverboy.  (Jimmie????)

Jan 18 13 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Wood

Queensbury, New York, US

I personally have a lot of tattoos and well I am far from modeling for anyone...lol  I think when it comes to tattoos and models, you either need a lot of them or none at all. I know when I am shooting a model, if she has one or two tattoos its almost a hindrance to shoot around and just seems out of place. But at the same time, I think a woman that is covered in tattoos is very sexy, and would like to shoot them just for that reason.

Jan 18 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I don't have tattoos, but I'd damn well rather have Jimi Hendrix than Loverboy.  (Jimmie????)

"Jimmie" Hendrix is a tribute act by a ten year old boy... At least that's what it sounds like. :-)

Jan 18 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Kayla Anne Thomas wrote:

Depends....are we talking about the "Courtship of Miles Standish" by Longfellow?

Jan 18 13 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Well Loverboy would be better then Nickelback lol

Jan 19 13 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kayla Anne Thomas wrote:
I appreciate your response smile I'm more of an actor anyways and these things are less of an issue I think. Also- I think I posted in the wrong forum! Sorry !

Your look makes you a consideration for teen roles in acting, including girl next door parts. I would stay away from any tats that might be a distraction and difficult to hide.  If your priority in life is to make a career in modeling or acting then the fewer reasons to be passed over the better.  If its just a hobby and a tattoo is important to you do whatever you like.

Just my $0.02

Jan 19 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

kevbailey

Hemet, California, US

Perhaps this is better answered by submitting your photos to agencies to open some doors, and when you get a chance to talk to them you can ask them their opinion. 

In my opinion, if llamaing is the career you are seeking, it would not be a good investment.  As for your height and weight which somebody said was out of range, that is not accurate for all lines of llamaing with an agency.  5'8" at a size 4 is fine for a lot of work! 

Nobody in this thread knows the answer to your question based on facts.  We only know what history has shown us...and that history is not filled with much ink.

Jan 19 13 07:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I do not know what an agency would do, But I know that I would paint you any day of the week, with or without tattoos!

All of my models in the past 5 years have had some form of tattoos.

The great thing about being an artist, is that I can mentally "photoshop" all tattoos  off of the model for my paintings!  smile

Jan 19 13 07:55 am Link

Model

Sarah Lynn Modeling

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I regret my tattoo very much.  Although my tattoo means something to me, an is personal to me, I've in recent years grown to hate it.  I do some commercial modeling, runway, promotional, and print and in more cases than not, the photographer or designer gripes about my tattoo.  Luckily being a small back tattoo I can hide it, but not always.

As much as I despise Kim Kardashian, she once said something I agree with in regards to tattoos:  something along the lines of "you don't put a bumper sticker on a Bentley."

If I had it to go over again, I wouldn't get a tattoo.  But that's just me.  If you really want a tattoo, then get one.  Just know it won't always please photographers and may keep you from getting jobs.  What if you're asked to model swimwear?  Tattoos aren't super easy to cover up.

Jan 19 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I can't tell you for certain, that it will hurt you.  Maybe your agent will care or maybe not.

I can tell you for certain, it won't help.  If you want to be an actor, why would you want to do anything that might hurt.

If you lose just one role over it, you might have ruined your career.

Jan 19 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Given the choice of two models - actors. One with tattoos and one without.

I will choose the one without every time.

and every model, I have ever talked to over 40 regretted getting them and many under 40 also.  Especially the bigger tattoos - especially the tramp stamps one on the butt.

Jan 19 13 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

it's not always about the tattoo, rather it's how the tattoo is presented.

http://thechive.com/2013/01/12/you-got- … 38-photos/

choose your personal statement wisely.

Jan 19 13 07:06 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Just don't do it- any tattoo I'd have wanted 10 years ago I'd hate today- it'd be embarrassing to say the least. Glad I didn't do it. Write the poem in fancy calligraphy and frame it instead.

Jan 19 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McDonough

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Don't do it.

Jan 19 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

From someone whos too short and has tattoos/piercings:

i dont really care what you do with your body. its your body. there will always be someone willing to take a picture of it. (If that someone is worth working with is a different story)

however

Whether it be modelling or acting, a tattoo will never ENHANCE your abilities. It will never help you get work.

It MIGHT not hurt your ability to get booked

It will PROBABLY make it harder on you.

My advice? Pursue modelling/acting for X amount of time. If you don't "make it" by that time (a couple years would probably be best, almost nothing is instant in this) the go get the tattoo. You can always put the tattoo on later, you can't just take it off later.

Jan 19 13 09:24 pm Link