Forums > Critique > Would love some critique on this shot

Anthony Thurston

Independence, Oregon, US

Hey everyone. I would love some critique on this shot I took earlier this week. I've been trying to do less glamour work and more fashion/lifestyle type stuff.

This was shot outside on a very cold(for around here), overcast day here in the Pacific Northwest. This particular shot was taken on the steps to the fountain at main street park.

All I used was a single 5-in-1 reflector with the white side just to camera left. Post was done in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Jan 18 13 12:06 pm Link

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It's okay. The depth of field is good, and the direction of light okay too.

She should have had firstly a lot more connection. I see in her eyes a question of is this good? What do you want?

Something is missing. There is no joie de vivre so it's not a powerful picture.

Light. You may be a bit close, and the light is flat. If you can find a light naturally occurring that travels further like into a tunnel or past an overhang you'll get soft but more direction light. Problem with the 5 in 1 is they are round, and not great at making an easy way to cut the light with barn doors, flags etc.

Jan 18 13 12:14 pm Link

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US
The catch lights in her eyes are too low, the idea is to mimic the sun, and unless the sun is setting it would usually show much higher as a reflection in her eyes
[So if the reflector were higher it would be a nice catch light as you have it]
Think a simple background, with less color contrast
[Solid green leaves of a tree, solid building way off in the distance out of focus, beautiful blue sky]
Would love to see a more engaging look too

Jan 18 13 04:31 pm Link

Washington, District of Columbia, US

It's all around dull.
The models expression/pose
The  surrounding area

Jan 18 13 04:34 pm Link