Forums > Photography Talk > just did a free wedding shoot... help!!

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1743

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Um delete the bad ones and give them the good ones.. And tell them those are ALL the photos you took.
Or just give them the ones you feel comfortable with, bottom line. He will get over it

Jan 20 13 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 1991

Los Angeles, California, US

Fred Gerhart wrote:
Enjoy sleeping in your bed of thorns for the next week or so while you edit all the images to the best of your ability.

It does not matter what type of photography is being done - always have a contract. I don't care if you are photographing cute puppies, flower arrangements, etc... a contract is always needed to protect the photographer.

And while I am ranting one should not even think of shooting anything without the necessary liability insurance to cover their butts. The op could be eating ramen noodles for three meals per day for a very long time if this goes the wrong way for them.

Good Luck

Edit - btw ... that many shots in one hour is pure spraying and praying. Next time slow down and pretend you are shooting film. Make each shutter click count and get it right in camera. Then you laugh later because the only post production needed will be crop, resize, basic color correction, and burn to cd..

Some Great advice there. I'm so glad that I read this thread. It made me laugh. I had the Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner booming in my head as I imagined our intrepid photographer arriving in the helicopter. 

This story is almost good enough to make one of those Hitler outake videos, where Hitler would learn that the wedding pics came out bad. "My Fuehrer, of 560 shots fired, only 34.5 were on the mark, and there were exposure problems."
"Frostbite," screams Hitler. "I thought we solved this on the Russian campaign. When we shoot a weddding. . ."

I have to process special effects and it's always good to start laughing before I start crying.

Jan 20 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Posts: 18220

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Well at best it was a learning experience on the value of a written contract, doing jobs you are uncomfortable/unqualified for.

First it seems that your agreement was with the bride, not the groom and he added his 2 cents after the fact. What matters is what your agreement with the bride was.

As I see it you have two choices, either give them all the shots that you approve or give them all of them. Option two puts it to bed for good the first one does not.

Nothing says that you have to watermark the photos so your name is not on them. Nothing says you have to give them all the same size photos, you can give them very small ones of the ones that should have been deleted.

As for your reputation, well as a wedding photographer you have none to damage and if you pursue doing it well you can always say the truth, that it was a free job you did for a "friend" right after you got your camera when you did not know what you were doing. In time no one will care.

Since you are in Canada what you and they can do with the photos is best left for Canadian to respond to.

Jan 20 13 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Posts: 6840

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Sugar Sharai wrote:
So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract,

So essentially, you're saying you're not qualified to run a business ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

and you're not qualified to produce photographs ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

and you're not qualified to manage the logistics of photographing a wedding, but you hoped spray and pray would make up for it ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

and you're not qualified to manage a client relationship ....

Sugar Sharai wrote:
my concern is between making myself look bad,

Too late ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
if they decide to alter,

that's the least of your worries ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

Too late ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth

I think you're the one who doesn't realize how much that couple's once in a lifetime memories are worth ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
to my reputation as a photographer,

You are responsible for your reputation, not your clients ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots

and who agreed to do this for free?

Sugar Sharai wrote:
so they dont embarrass me.

Again, too late.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
anyone have any suggestions?

Yes!  Give them what they want, apologize from the bottom of your heart, and beg them not to sue you.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but this is exactly what people who think buying a DSLR qualifies them to be wedding photographers deserve.  Wedding photography is hard to do well.  It takes experience, talent, preparation, adaptability, and quick thinking.  It takes skill in photography, in business, in logistics, in interpersonal relationships, and in event management.  People who think a prosumer DSLR and a fancy flash will make up for all that are totally discounting the fact that they're putting a couple's once in a lifetime memories in jeopardy to feed their fantasy that they're a photographer. 

Honestly, I hope you're ashamed.

Jan 20 13 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McDonough

Posts: 147

Boston, Massachusetts, US

BTHPhoto wrote:

Sugar Sharai wrote:
So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract,

So essentially, you're saying you're not qualified to run a business ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

and you're not qualified to produce photographs ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

Nicely put!
and you're not qualified to manage the logistics of photographing a wedding, but you hoped spray and pray would make up for it ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

and you're not qualified to manage a client relationship ....

Sugar Sharai wrote:
my concern is between making myself look bad,

Too late ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
if they decide to alter,

that's the least of your worries ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

Too late ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth

I think you're the one who doesn't realize how much that couple's once in a lifetime memories are worth ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
to my reputation as a photographer,

You are responsible for your reputation, not your clients ...

Sugar Sharai wrote:
and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots

and who agreed to do this for free?

Sugar Sharai wrote:
so they dont embarrass me.

Again, too late.


Yes!  Give them what they want, apologize from the bottom of your heart, and beg them not to sue you.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but this is exactly what people who think buying a DSLR qualifies them to be wedding photographers deserve.  Wedding photography is hard to do well.  It takes experience, talent, preparation, adaptability, and quick thinking.  It takes skill in photography, in business, in logistics, in interpersonal relationships, and in event management.  People who think a prosumer DSLR and a fancy flash will make up for all that are totally discounting the fact that they're putting a couple's once in a lifetime memories in jeopardy to feed their fantasy that they're a photographer. 

Honestly, I hope you're ashamed.

Jan 20 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Lohr

Posts: 510

Los Angeles, California, US

Sugar Sharai wrote:
they want al 546 shots.

i said please no, they said yes, i am still uncomfortable with it, i do not want to give them all of these shots.

my only other option would be to delete every single shot thats useless and makes me look bad, and say they never existed?

and im not sure how to feel about not being "Allowed" to post my own photos until they recieve the CD.

I had thought I had 100 percent rights to my photos, including posting and selling rights,   however we signed no contract so i feel those rights are more in my hands then hers?

Simple...you make an arrangement. you follow the arangement you made.
Who cares if there are bad shots. I have been shooting 20 plus years. I still take bad shots.
BTW 500 shots is not alot.
Next time if you want full edit control then state that upfront.
You are being insecure on whether or not you did a good job.
They got free pictures so they got more value then what they paid for.
As you get better the value of your work will go up.

Jan 20 13 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10632

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

BTHPhoto wrote:


Honestly, I hope you're ashamed.

harsh much?  seems like you have an agenda or someone pissed in your cornflakes this morning.  OP lives in a small town and was asked to do a friend a favour.  Just like plenty of couples ask uncle Bob (or my uncle Mike) to shoot their wedding. Actually...better than an uncle Bob because she didnt want to give all the bad images to the client. had the OP not been a model on MM you never would have had a chance to take all these shots.  SRSLY.   I could go through all of your comments pick most of them apart because you are holding her up to the ridiculously high standard of a professional wedding photographer (which she never claimed to be) and venting rather than offering any useful advice.  But you post is so long I will just snip it in the quote instead. you have said more than enough. I don't see a need to add to it.   This is not some potential competitor or even someone who could affect your market by driving price/expectations down.  there was no need for all of it.  This is just someone doing a favour for a friend.  there is no mention that the B&G expected the OP to handle mountain top glare and all the other stuff you were venting about.  Honestly...I hope you are ashamed.

Jan 20 13 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

KLBobbitt Photography

Posts: 3

Plainfield, Connecticut, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
lol. best solution. big_smile

I agree!  Give them your best shots and offer them a full refund.

Jan 20 13 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

SPierce Photography wrote:
I'm just now noticing this, so thought I would address it.

With that sort of attitude (whether you are legally in the right or wrong) just give up on photography and stop right now.

These photos are NOT for you. These photos are for your CLIENT- the bride and groom. It's extremely rude, and in bad taste, to post photos of them on your page, etc. before they have seen them. This is their wedding day, the most important day of their life.

Also, why in the world would you want to sell photos of them? It sounds like you're majorly in over your head. You have a LOT of learning to do.

Without a contract and a signed release from the bride and groom, you have no proper authorization to sell the photos, so you can rule that out until you get something signed from them. That is why you see photographers using model releases all the time.

Sorry to sound harsh, but, really, you do need to do quite a bit of learning before trying this again.

I realize how important this day was, i did my research they knew how new i was to this, i had no intention on selling ANY of my work, (who would buy? :$)    lol

i realize contracts are great and all, however at the end of the day i am aware that I took the photo.

i do still want to satisfy them, however i feel they are unaware as to how evasive i felt when asked to give EVERY shot, when i had already agreed to the shoot, with a turn over of 40 shots or so. I agreed to 40 at the begining, and they cornered me into agreeing to more, since they already had the helicopter booked etc. (this was planned in a week and i had 1 week to prepare!) however we did not necessaily have an officialized agreement upon "yes i will give you 546 shots edited and unedited, therefore resulting in 1000 photos on one disc, all at no cost to you so long as you pay my flight"   

as for selling rights, if i didnt take the photos, they wouldnt have any, unless they BOUGHT them, which is what i refer to by selling rights.

I have no problem doing a free gig but i am hoping perhaps to settle it with sending 100 shots, some silly ones etc, and say nothing more about it. give them a gifty bag, and possibly one print, in a dollar store frame, for funzies, and walk away hoping i did good enough service for free.

Jan 20 13 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Frank McDonough wrote:

BTHPhoto wrote:

your reply is unprofessional.

learn how to talk to people with respect.

stop trolling because you are bored.

i honestly dont even have the time to quote you as much as you did so i will hit enter after every sentence instead.

did i mention i was not a professional?

I am just looking for some positive advice, and i have heard much more professional repies from others, who were much more kind in their replies, and i do not feel you know how to communicate effectively in a professional manner so please i do not need your rude input, as far as i am concerned its against model mayhem rules.

Jan 20 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Michael Lohr  wrote:

Simple...you make an arrangement. you follow the arangement you made.
Who cares if there are bad shots. I have been shooting 20 plus years. I still take bad shots.
BTW 500 shots is not alot.
Next time if you want full edit control then state that upfront.
You are being insecure on whether or not you did a good job.
They got free pictures so they got more value then what they paid for.
As you get better the value of your work will go up.

i completely agree with this, however that involves editing every single photo, as well as adding a water mark, and possibly 2 discs of memory, and about 20-30 extra hours of editing that i honestly dont have the time for, and never agreed upon in the first place since i made it clear i didnt feel comfortable with agreeing to that much workload.

Jan 20 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 23083

Salem, Oregon, US

don't do another wedding without a good contract. the contract has important provisions that protect you (and we make both bride and groom sign). we got ours here:
http://www.photoattorney.com/?page_id=579
(but i don't know if this applies in Canada)

also, weddings can be hard. and each one is different. don't underestimate them. hire an experienced 2nd shooter as insurance until you get good at it.

as for this one hopefully you can talk your way out of it. if they aren't satisfied maybe offer them their money back or a free engagement-type shoot.

worst-case hire an attorney. there are horror stories of photographers having to pay to restage events.

Jan 20 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posts: 11360

San Pedro, California, US

Sugar Sharai wrote:
I realize how important this day was, i did my research they knew how new i was to this, i had no intention on selling ANY of my work, (who would buy? :$)    lol

i realize contracts are great and all, however at the end of the day i am aware that I took the photo.

i do still want to satisfy them, however i feel they are unaware as to how evasive i felt when asked to give EVERY shot, when i had already agreed to the shoot, with a turn over of 40 shots or so. I agreed to 40 at the begining, and they cornered me into agreeing to more, since they already had the helicopter booked etc. (this was planned in a week and i had 1 week to prepare!) however we did not necessaily have an officialized agreement upon "yes i will give you 546 shots edited and unedited, therefore resulting in 1000 photos on one disc, all at no cost to you so long as you pay my flight"   

as for selling rights, if i didnt take the photos, they wouldnt have any, unless they BOUGHT them, which is what i refer to by selling rights.

I have no problem doing a free gig but i am hoping perhaps to settle it with sending 100 shots, some silly ones etc, and say nothing more about it. give them a gifty bag, and possibly one print, in a dollar store frame, for funzies, and walk away hoping i did good enough service for free.

I realize you're only 18, but surely you've learned to say no to a bully.
That's what the husband is doing, he's bullying you.
Give him the 40 that don't suck and tell him that's what you're willing to do period.
Be clear that he's getting much more than his money's worth.
Stipulate what you'll give him period. You're in the power position here, not them.
Also, it's likely you could post a picture or two on your own portfolio (cue the arm-chair MM lawyers), without fear. But you definitely can't sell the pictures (under most circumstances).

BTW: You couldn't pay me enough $$$ to shoot a wedding.

Jan 20 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

twoharts wrote:
don't do another wedding without a good contract. the contract has important provisions that protect you (and we make both bride and groom sign). we got ours here:
http://www.photoattorney.com/?page_id=579
(but i don't know if this applies in Canada)

also, weddings can be hard. and each one is different. don't underestimate them. hire an experienced 2nd shooter as insurance until you get good at it.

as for this one hopefully you can talk your way out of it. if they aren't satisfied maybe offer them their money back or a free engagement-type shoot.

worst-case hire an attorney. there are horror stories of photographers having to pay to restage events.

i definitly dont think it will come to court or anything, more so worried about an unhappy bride, and a frustrated photographer with no time for something she didnt sign up for!! ( the full course meal i mean)

I think i can talk my way out of it, and as for second shooter, did i mention they took me in a helicopter?  there was no extra seating otherwise i would have brought my photographer partner!!

Jan 20 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 23083

Salem, Oregon, US

i just delivered a wedding a few minutes ago with 1,500 images and we edited every one (i shoot jpeg and i try to nail the exposure in-camera so it's a few tweaks and maybe a crop and it's done except for the formals). and we never watermark for customers.

you need to get yourself out of the current mess (ideally whatever it takes so they don't badmouth or sue you) and then think things through a bit before doing the next one.

personally i'd rather have 50 good ones than 500 terrible ones. but some people are all about the numbers or maybe they're hoping to get ones they like better than the ones they've already seen.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
i completely agree with this, however that involves editing every single photo, as well as adding a water mark, and possibly 2 discs of memory, and about 20-30 extra hours of editing that i honestly dont have the time for, and never agreed upon in the first place since i made it clear i didnt feel comfortable with agreeing to that much workload.

Jan 20 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

brian selway

Posts: 54

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Just give them all the images. Let them have the stress of trying to pick the decent ones out. At least they'll be able to tell people that you stuck to the agreement you'd made with them.

Jan 20 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 23083

Salem, Oregon, US

i love helicopters. sounds like a really cool event. hopefully you can settle with them and have some good ones for your portfolio.

we never promise them a specific number of images and our contract says we only have to deliver the ones we like. it's all about that contract. it's everything.

also, customers often aren't very sensitive to technical quality. it can a technical mess (blurry, mis-exposed, you name it) but if they look cute or cool or handsome it's all good.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
I think i can talk my way out of it, and as for second shooter, did i mention they took me in a helicopter?  there was no extra seating otherwise i would have brought my photographer partner!!

Jan 20 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

twoharts wrote:
i just delivered a wedding a few minutes ago with 1,500 images and we edited every one (i shoot jpeg and i try to nail the exposure in-camera so it's a few tweaks and maybe a crop and it's done except for the formals). and we never watermark for customers.

you need to get yourself out of the current mess (ideally whatever it takes so they don't badmouth or sue you) and then think things through a bit before doing the next one.

personally i'd rather have 50 good ones than 500 terrible ones. but some people are all about the numbers or maybe they're hoping to get ones they like better than the ones they've already seen.

thats fabulous!! glad you did all that work! I am sure it was not for free.


and i had figured the 50 good ones was what they were origionally going for as i told them thats what i usually do is send the good ones. 

as for watermark, they are not boughten images, they do not own rights to alter them or edit them in any way, and that is why they are watermarked. (its so small and faded you barely see it anyway)

Jan 20 13 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Posts: 6889

Martin, Tennessee, US

Tell them to fly me up on a heli, and I'll capture their divorce....in 1 year.

Ok.

Just kid'n

Jan 20 13 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 23083

Salem, Oregon, US

i've never done a wedding for free. charged $1,500 on my first one.

you did this one for free and they're hassling you? sheesh. there's the reason not to do it for free.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
thats fabulous!! glad you did all that work! I am sure it was not for free.

Jan 20 13 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

twoharts wrote:
i love helicopters. sounds like a really cool event. hopefully you can settle with them and have some good ones for your portfolio.

we never promise them a specific number of images and our contract says we only have to deliver the ones we like. it's all about that contract. it's everything.

also, customers often aren't very sensitive to technical quality. it can a technical mess (blurry, mis-exposed, you name it) but if they look cute or cool or handsome it's all good.


it was  very cool event!! and i got atleast 40 amazing photos!! i am very happy with them!  but i am embarassed with the shadows and uncle bobs, and half crops due to kit lens :$ yes i used a kit lens :$     


but they turned out great otherwise!  I am wondering if a contract PRIOR to me editing the shots is necessary, to prevent dissatisfaction or too high of expectations with the number of photos.  i think i would prefer to promise a minimum of 40, and then extras are "unexpected freebies"?

Jan 20 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Abdul Sharif

Posts: 176

Louisville, Kentucky, US

If you did it for free, they couldn't have been expecting the images to be that great right?

If anyone demanded free pics from that soon, I would tell them to kiss my you know what or wait. What could they do? Not pay me?

You should keep the good photos, edit them to make them look even better and add them to your wedding portfolio. Maybe in the future you can get hired to shoot a paid wedding.

Jan 20 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

PhillipM wrote:
Tell them to fly me up on a heli, and I'll capture their divorce....in 1 year.

Ok.

Just kid'n

ROOFFLL love this!!! ^

Jan 20 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Posts: 508

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Sugar Sharai wrote:
OK, so i agreed to a free wedding shoot, on a mountain top, helicopter flight paid for, and a ride home, for a WHOLE disc of EVERY single photo i took..

Oh god ... so many things wrong with that.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
I, being new to it, and realizing this is my first gig ...

FIRST GIG ... so your first gig is not only a wedding but a WINTER wedding OUTDOORS!?!

That has epic fail written all over it.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract,

Well ... this is your saving grace. No contract will end up in your favor here but be ready to go to court anyways and to lose a friendship. You had a VERBAL contract but since nothing is written down it;s a case of the he said/she said.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
i took 546 shots in an hour.

That's a HELL of alot of pictures in an hour ... it;s an 8Gig card and a half per hour of shooting!

Sugar Sharai wrote:
due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed,

My contract has clauses in it to protect myself in these cases.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

The you should have said "Sorry we couldn't come to an understanding, here are some great photographer's I've worked with in the past, perhaps they'll be able to meet your requirements".


Sugar Sharai wrote:
and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

Too late for that ... you already know they won't be happy .... your keep rate is around 6%! That's atrocious!

Sugar Sharai wrote:
he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth to my reputation as a photographer, and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots so they dont embarrass me.

Too late ... you already agreed to his demands. You went and shot the event.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
also, they just decided to tell me NOT to upload my photos, or tag them on facebook, UNTIL they have recieved every single photo..

They have absolutely no control over what you do with your intellectual property.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
now i am very weary on what to do!!

You do what you said you would do ... and hand them all the pictures. Take this as an important life lesson and move on.

Jan 20 13 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

No written contract.

No money changed hands.

Do what the hell you like.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 20 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Abdul Sharif wrote:
If you did it for free, they couldn't have been expecting the images to be that great right?

If anyone demanded free pics from that soon, I would tell them to kiss my behind. What would they do? Not pay me?

You should keep the good photos, edit them to make them look even better and add them to your wedding portfolio. Maybe in the future you can get hired to shoot a paid wedding.

this is what i was hoping for!!  hopefully i can get them done real quick to atleast make it seem a bit better for them.  I did work my butt off at this shoot!!


http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … =1&theater

(not bragging but heres a quicky i edited, didnt choose the best shot, but one random i took when we were flying back!)

Jan 20 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Posts: 4048

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

I am not sure there is enough 'wrong cake' to go around to all the parties involved...

And I don't mean to sound like a douche, but didn't you claim (in another thread you started) that you became a photographer something like, 'two weeks ago?'

Jan 20 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Posts: 508

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

SPierce Photography wrote:
This.... should be been specified in a wedding contract, before the wedding took place. Never, EVER shoot with without a contract.

THIS!

I don't even take the lens cap off until all the ts are crossed and the Is are dotted.

Jan 20 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
No written contract.

No money changed hands.

Do what the hell you like.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

always got good advice! this was honestly my thoughts too! besides, as long as they got what they "asked" for prior, on the piece of paper, (which they did!)  i think its a wrap!

Jan 20 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Posts: 508

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

The other thing that blows me away with this is how they had enough money to hire a FREAKING HELICOPTER but couldn't be bothered to hire a proper professional photographer.

Jan 20 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kallea

Posts: 77

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Make two folders, one "best of" that you edit and make them look great, the second folder label "to be discarded". At least you make a distinction between the good and bad. Also how do they know that you left some out?

Jan 20 13 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1743

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Exactly, only give them
What you're comfortable with and be done with it.

Jan 20 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

ELiffmann

Posts: 1417

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Sugar,
  It seems to me that at one year, you're overly concerned about protecting your brand.  If it were me, I'd just delete the completely awful ones and send them all the others unedited and unwatermarked.  I think a happy "client" will do more for you than a few bad snapshots that were released.  I feel that at this point you're more providing a service as opposed to providing a product. Who cares if they slap an instagram filter on them?  Might be best if the photo is flawed.  I'd then edit the ten best and save/post them after the ok from the b&g.  They might be so impressed that they'd offer you money to edit others.

Jan 20 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 22838

Portland, Oregon, US

Sugar Sharai wrote:
OK, so i agreed to a free wedding shoot, on a mountain top, helicopter flight paid for, and a ride home, for a WHOLE disc of EVERY single photo i took.. I felt uncomfortable about this, and explained this once I got to meet the husband (the one who proclaims he wants EVERY photo), on the day of.

I, being new to it, and realizing this is my first gig, and the bride KNEW this as she worked with me as a model on the FIRST day i received my camera.

So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract, so instead discussed over the phone in great detail as to what shots she wanted to include for sure. I got those shots no problem, however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

my concern is between making myself look bad, if they decide to alter, or  upload bad examples of my work. and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth to my reputation as a photographer, and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots so they dont embarrass me.

anyone have any suggestions?


also, they just decided to tell me NOT to upload my photos, or tag them on facebook, UNTIL they have recieved every single photo..

now i am very weary on what to do!!

Yeah, I believe that mistakes / failures are more educational than successes.  Now you have a better idea about the terms you will negotiate the next opportunity (e.g. promise the majority of the images, after you cull out the duds; and/or provide them only with images that you've edited; and/or provide them with thumbnails of every image (too small & too compressed to print); and/or ...

At 18, I wouldn't concern myself with "looking bad" -- at 18, you should be experimenting, taking chances, failing fairly often while learning a lot, etc.

If the husband complains, well, he got what he paid for.  If the photos were that important to him, he should hire a more experienced photographer the next time he gets married.

Jan 20 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10632

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
The other thing that blows me away with this is how they had enough money to hire a FREAKING HELICOPTER but couldn't be bothered to hire a proper professional photographer.

i was just thinking about this as you posted.  Great minds think alike!
(unless of course the B&G run a heli skiing biz.  in which case...they have one in the backyard)

Jan 20 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

ELiffmann

Posts: 1417

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Art of Verity wrote:
Make two folders, one "best of" that you edit and make them look great, the second folder label "to be discarded". At least you make a distinction between the good and bad. Also how do they know that you left some out?

second

Jan 20 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Posts: 508

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Michael Lohr  wrote:
BTW 500 shots is not alot.

That was 500 shots PER HOUR with a retention rate of around 6%!

Jan 20 13 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Trisha Bowyer

Posts: 1311

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
The other thing that blows me away with this is how they had enough money to hire a FREAKING HELICOPTER but couldn't be bothered to hire a proper professional photographer.

I KNOW right? This is the thing that kept going through my mind. WTF is wrong with people? No offence to the OP.

Stick to your guns and give them edited images that aren't terrible. Who wants 500 terrible images anyway? or don't. It's your call really.

Jan 20 13 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10632

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Eric Lefebvre wrote:
That was 500 shots PER HOUR with a retention rate of around 6%!

Mountain tops in the Rockies are cold this time of year. OP was probably shivering so much her hands operated the shutter in burst mode tongue

Another thing that just hit me.  Did the B&G wear traditional white dress/dark suit? or was the bride wearing Burton snowpants and Bolle glacier goggles?

EDIT: I have this image of the B&G jumping off the edge of the mountain and riding down at the end of the ceremony, hip deep in powdah.  That's what it should be if they are going heli it up

Jan 20 13 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 23083

Salem, Oregon, US

and they don't like that shot? seems fine to me. they look happy.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
(not bragging but heres a quicky i edited, didnt choose the best shot, but one random i took when we were flying back!)

Jan 20 13 05:42 pm Link