Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What makeup Brands do you recommend for clients?

Photographer

DanaBarrett Photography

Franklin, Tennessee, US

I read about the MAC boycott, and the problem being Estee Lauder bought them out.  I thought, I wear Estee Lauder and it apparently is watered down garbage.  So what brands should I be looking at instead?

Jan 21 13 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

DanaBarrett Photography wrote:
...I wear Estee Lauder and it apparently is watered down garbage.

Not understanding what you are inferring here... is this inference about base a.k.a. foundations? Are you indicating that you don't like water based emollients?  Which btw are know to be specifically noncomedogenic... However the lion's share of foundations are either oil or silicon based... albeit water base are popular in specific scenarios... 

That said if you are more focused on making a social statement i.e. product that is "fashionable" then be prepared to change brands with the seasons... yes what's in this year or even season is passé in the next...

So what brands should I be looking at instead

Are you looking to become a industry professional in make-up?
Commercial artist tend to go with the more tried and true brands many of which do not engage in huge marketing campaigns... Think TEMPTU, RCMA, Ben Nye, and Graftobian's  here.... But even in this camp HD Makeup is the current buzz albeit this is marketing hype for the most part...

From another active thread   http://inmykit.com/ 
This should give you adequate food for thought... 
Have found it to be of worth and value, enough said...

Dana notice that you are primarily a portrait photographer, if you are considering purchasing product for retail clientele might keep in mind that perceived worth at the retail level can be for the most part the result of massive marketing campaigns launched by the major vendors... you would be well served not to carry "drug store" brands and focus more on high end product, yes like MAC...  experience is a brutal teacher here... and yes I carry MAC product in my kit... their anti-shine and lip gloss are some of my favorites...

all the best on your journey...

Jan 21 13 05:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

New York, New York, US

I'm sure you are asking about foundation for yourself. This question is too broad to be answered on here. It really depends what type of foundation you're looking for as far as coverage, ingredients, finish, etc. My suggestion would be to head to a Sephora and talk to one of their pros about what they recommend. They sell over 200 brands so you have many many options to choose from.

Jan 21 13 08:17 am Link

Photographer

DanaBarrett Photography

Franklin, Tennessee, US

sorry that was so confusing.  I meant for myself.  I wonder if we have a Sephora?  I will definitely look into it. 

I was looking at that sight in my kit, and I felt like a complete makeup idiot.  smile

Jan 21 13 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I read about the MAC boycott, and the problem being Estee Lauder bought them out.  I thought, I wear Estee Lauder and it apparently is watered down garbage.  So what brands should I be looking at instead?

If you're talking about personal use, Estee Lauder might be fine for you. The comments/criticisms you've read were regarding the brands' performance in a professional capacity.

Jan 21 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

DanaBarrett Photography

Franklin, Tennessee, US

thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and things to think about smile

Jan 21 13 07:36 pm Link