Forums > Newbie Forum > How do I get paid photography work?

Photographer

HughJr510Photo

Wanaque, New Jersey, US

Whaty is the best way(s) to get regular photographic work?

I am in New Jersey

Please advise thank you

Hugh Gilmartin

Jan 24 13 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Probably not much to made on MM, try advertising local in Craigslist or local newspaper, hand out business card...........you can get free from vistaprint or other resources for free or low cost business card online.
1st. I would do a browse of models in your area that are looking to do TF shoots and build your portfolio.

Best wishes, Paulie/ PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jan 24 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

know some rich people who owe you a favor and will hire you?

consider that ever guy who has been laid off and every gal who has had their guy get laid off is asking the same question.

unless you are special there's no easy answer. it can be years of hard work to get something going.

as far as mayhem goes i've never made any money from here. i have gotten some referral business from an omp model and i'm going to shoot a zivity model's wedding (at a discount but not for free).

we make money on corporate events and weddings.

Jan 24 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

for starters, don't treat your port like you're sharing snapshots with your facebook friends.

Jan 24 13 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

HughJr510Photo wrote:
How do I get paid photography work?

By offering something worth paying for...

Jan 24 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Michael Broughton wrote:
for starters, don't treat your port like you're sharing snapshots with your facebook friends.

Does this count as an unsolicited critique?

Jan 24 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we all have to start somewhere. at least the girls are pretty!

Michael Broughton wrote:

Jan 24 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Michael Broughton wrote:

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Does this count as an unsolicited critique?

Not when the person saying it has a goose as a avatar smile

Jan 24 13 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Augustine

Vancouver, Washington, US

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Probably not much to made on MM, try advertising local in Craigslist or local newspaper, hand out business card...........you can get free from vistaprint or other resources for free or low cost business card online.
1st. I would do a browse of models in your area that are looking to do TF shoots and build your portfolio.

Best wishes, Paulie/ PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Worked for me! Not making any money at it but its an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Jan 24 13 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

HughJr510Photo wrote:
What is the best way(s) to get regular photographic work?

I am in New Jersey

Please advise thank you

Hugh Gilmartin

Move this over to the critique forum is you really want pointers on how to get paying work with your photography.

Jan 24 13 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Images by MR wrote:

Michael Broughton wrote:

bazzinga

Jan 24 13 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

You need to offer something people are willing to pay for.
You need to be able to sell your services... Basically you need to be able to bullshit people into paying you. It's called marketing smile

Jan 24 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm not directing this at you specifically, just a general observation.

I have no idea how long you've been involved in photography but, according to your bio, you're very new to the field. In what other industry would someone only involved for a very short time and lacking knowledge, experience and basic skills seek information about getting paid?

Imagine having never played an instrument, taking one piano lesson, and asking how you can get paid to perform a concert.

The answer is the same. First, the skills/craft needs to be developed (and that includes business/marketing skills in addition to camera skills), a level of consistency and quality has to be documented, THEN you get paid (if you're persistent and skilled enough if those areas...and a bit fortunate).

Jan 24 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

HughJr510Photo wrote:

I am in New Jersey

Please advise thank you

Hugh Gilmartin

same way you get to Carnegie Hall...

Jan 24 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Get a job servicing the photo booths at Walmart.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 24 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Images by MR wrote:

are you critiquing the goose? is its neck too long? should it be channeling its inner llama?

Jan 24 13 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

37photog

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
. I would do a browse of models in your area that are looking to do TF shoots and build your portfolio.

I agree with this.  Do some TF shoots, or pay  a models gas money or something, to recruit talent to you, get some shots for your port, then build upon that.  Possibly you'll get paid work, though it's a bit unlikely overall.  Mostly, you can better pick & choose when you wanna shoot, vs starting out & searching endlessly for a model to agree to shoot with you.

If you have a decent DSLR you can shoot weddings with some big vendors.  Or post & search ads for events on Craigslist. Don't expect to just buy a camera & backdrop & immediately start shooting fashion or circulars for Target or anything.

Jan 24 13 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

A friend of mine, a long-time successful salesman, pretty much summed it up: First you find (or develop) a good product. Then all you have to do is knock on enough doors.

Start by developing a good photographic product, ideally something you can do better than anyone else in your territory. Build a portfolio to show it off and develop a brand with a business name, logo and the rest.

Then start knocking on doors (figuratively at least) by getting your work out in front of as many potential customers as possible.

Once you start attracting customers build your reputation with service. Deliver what you promise when you promise.

Jan 24 13 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

RW Steele

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I have no idea how long you've been involved in photography but, according to your bio, you're very new to the field. In what other industry would someone only involved for a very short time and lacking knowledge, experience and basic skills seek information about getting paid?

Imagine having never played an instrument, taking one piano lesson, and asking how you can get paid to perform a concert.

The answer is the same. First, the skills/craft needs to be developed (and that includes business/marketing skills in addition to camera skills), a level of consistency and quality has to be documented, THEN you get paid (if you're persistent and skilled enough if those areas...and a bit fortunate).

This is a perfect!

How many musicians can get an instrument for their birthday and a month later tour the country playing sold out shows 7 nights a week? *crickets* Just like musicians are inspired by their favorite bands, you should find photographers that you admire, study their work, and practice, practice, practice!

Jan 24 13 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I'll tell you how I make money with the camera. I own an IT / computer networking business and I shoot product for a client of mine. At some point about 10 years ago they needed an additional photographer to the one they already had. I stepped up.

A little luck, being in the right place at the right time, practice practice practice.

The comments above carry a lot of weight. You have to prove you can consistently turn out quality results. Until then it's all about proving yourself and usually doing so for free or trade. Remember in the modern world, everyone with a $1000 for a camera is a photographer

Jan 24 13 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

JBerman Photography

New York, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

so well said!

Jan 25 13 08:18 am Link

Photographer

KeithDewey3

Plattsburg, Missouri, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

This should be made a sticky and be required reading for all photographers wanting to open an account here.

Jan 25 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

HughJr510Photo wrote:

I am in New Jersey

Please advise thank you

Hugh Gilmartin

Develop good business (marketing) skills.

Jan 25 13 08:31 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Moderator Warning!
Be nice to newbies.  Answer or move along.

Jan 25 13 08:31 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

several pro photographers in our town have shut down their studios and are now working for the mall places.

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Get a job servicing the photo booths at Walmart.

Jan 25 13 08:59 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Naperville, Illinois, US

Images by MR wrote:

Michael Broughton wrote:

ROFLMAO!

Jan 25 13 12:01 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Naperville, Illinois, US

You could find a model that can model for you and give you some pointers on model photography and the basics on lighting, lenses (when to choose which), angles (do's and don'ts, ISO,Exposure,Shutter,F Stopping,DOF,styles,diffusion,reflectors,Flash and white balance as well as post production.
It will Usually run you about 100 USD or so more an hour. But well worth it to get on the fast track to photographing models.
You can also check around your local area if there are any Photographer willing to have you assist them while they teach you.

Welcome to Model Mayhem. There are allot more nice and helpful people here Than mean ones.

Jan 25 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Jan 25 13 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

The market is saturated. Shoot video, which is just starting to become saturated, but to a much lesser degree than still photography.

Jan 25 13 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Falana

Los Angeles, California, US

Based on your post here and your profile I have to observe that English does not seem to be your primary language? Use this to your advantage and promote yourself to others in whatever non-English speaking community it is that you belong to. Find events that are unique to your linguistic community and start taking pictures at them. Look professional. Hand out professional-looking postcards with you contact info or business cards (NOT vista print).

Jan 26 13 12:04 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

HughJr510Photo wrote:

I am in New Jersey

Please advise thank you

Hugh Gilmartin

After putting 5+/- years of hard work and learning you should develop a style and technique (and portfolio) that people will pay for.

You don't become a brain surgeon, a rocket scientist or a professional photographer the first week of school.

Jan 26 13 12:23 am Link

Model

Rose Valentina

London, England, United Kingdom

It takes approximately 10,000 hours to be a success at anything so, obviously, that means hard work and perseverance. Do what many people do, start with self-portraits or TFP so you can experiment and build a portfolio.

Jan 27 13 06:23 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i'm not sure about that 10K hours thing. i could hit golf balls for 10,000 hours and just be sore and never get any better. it only works if you can get better over time.

and i've seen photographers who were great from day one. maybe they didn't have everything under control technically but either you have it or you don't.

i think if you have it and then you put in the 10,000 hours that makes sense. but if you don't have it then it may not matter how much time you put in. if you don't have it you may get better but you won't be great.

Paola B wrote:
It takes approximately 10,000 hours to be a success at anything so, obviously, that means hard work and perseverance. Do what many people do, start with self-portraits or TFP so you can experiment and build a portfolio.

Jan 27 13 09:07 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Paola B wrote:

So, I have 9,900 hours of sex to go before I'm any good?

Jan 27 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Paola B wrote:

I hope that doesn't apply to modeling. Because that would mean it would have taken Giselle 3.5 years of 8-hour days before she became a successful model.

Jan 27 13 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Jenn Hoffman Photograph

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Do your best with test shoots. Referrals are strong. Keep shooting.

Jan 27 13 09:23 am Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Best way is to contact models who shoot nudes. I've found they're the most willing to pay a photographer.

Jan 27 13 09:24 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i believe this is the book that started the 10K hours thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Su … s=outliers

Jan 27 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

Images by MR wrote:

Michael Broughton wrote:

LMAO!!

Jan 27 13 09:35 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

In my opinion, you have to be any of these...

A)  Very good

B)  Very lucky

C) Good at marketing yourself

D)  Charismatic

E) a good bullshitter

F)  All of the above

Some people here make money at this because they're either very skilled or very talented.  Then again, some people here suck at photography, but still make money by selling their shots to websites or by simply being the only guy in their county with a decent camera and knowing how to market themselves.

Either way, it takes time and effort mixed in with a bit of luck and timing.

Jan 27 13 10:11 am Link