Forums > Critique > Fine art photography...taking the next step...

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

My husband and I just took the leap to attempting to sell prints of our work. Anyone who has any feedback criticism, advice on marketing to sell fine art nudes I am all ears and thank you in advance for your advice. Here is the link to my new shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/balminGileadArt


Sincerely

Balm in Gilead

Jan 24 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

bump

Jan 29 13 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Patrickth

Posts: 10321

Bellingham, Washington, US

balm in Gilead wrote:
My husband and I just took the leap to attempting to sell prints of our work. Anyone who has any feedback criticism, advice on marketing to sell fine art nudes I am all ears and thank you in advance for your advice. Here is the link to my new shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/balminGileadArt


Sincerely

Balm in Gilead

Very nice. I am not in the market personally, but if I was, would not hesitate to buy a print.

Good luck. Only advice I can give is network the hell out of them to get the word out.

Jan 29 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

Patrickth wrote:

Very nice. I am not in the market personally, but if I was, would not hesitate to buy a print.

Good luck. Only advice I can give is network the hell out of them to get the word out.

The feedback is so appreciated! :-) Thank you!

Jan 29 13 10:21 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Posts: 608

Portland, Oregon, US

How have sales been going?

Jan 29 13 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Posts: 9474

Paris, Île-de-France, France

The prices are low, what do you print on?


The galleries look good, and the content is pretty nice.

Jan 29 13 10:30 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posts: 11120

San Pedro, California, US

Yeah, the prices look low to me too (they seem to be about 1/5 - 1/3 of what I'd expect).
But I don't know this market at all as a photographer. Just as a buyer.

Jan 29 13 10:33 am Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

JOEL McDONALD wrote:
How have sales been going?

I sold 2 on my first day.

Jan 29 13 10:55 am Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

Neil Snape wrote:
The prices are low, what do you print on?


The galleries look good, and the content is pretty nice.

I have a professional printing place do them for me from full size tiff files. I tell them I want them as high of quality as possible so that the prints do the images justice, the specifics I am not sure of. I know the price is low but as I am just starting I wanted to win over customers and gain a following first, plus the smaller sized prints for $25 seemed to be more of the usual on etsy. Once I have more sells under my belt and some good feedback I figured I can re-evaluate. I sold 2 my first day open, and nothing since. The sell was in Canada so they should receive their prints soon.

Jan 29 13 10:59 am Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

John Allan wrote:
Yeah, the prices look low to me too (they seem to be about 1/5 - 1/3 of what I'd expect).
But I don't know this market at all as a photographer. Just as a buyer.

I am very passionate about getting the art out there, so I thought a more economical price range would make it more accessible and increase my possible market.

Jan 29 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Posts: 608

Portland, Oregon, US

balm in Gilead wrote:
I sold 2 on my first day.

Nice. Good indicator of ongoing success.

Jan 29 13 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

Bump... More feedback please...

Jan 30 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Posts: 618

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I like the look of your work and clarity of your design for the market you are going after.

I'd suggest adding a link that would take interested people to another location where they could buy higher priced or more limited edition items.

Jan 30 13 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fine Art Portraiture

Posts: 33

Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US

What I've experienced is people like to look at nudes.  They don't like to display nudes.  In the art world nudes don't sell as well as less intimidating art or viewer friendly.  I also have found that people don't often buy works of other people they don't have a connection to.  The more abstract the better.  Your art work is beautiful and shows great emotion.  Don't let the market drive your motivation.  Do what you love and people will see it.  I would try having your subject commission the work you do.  Continue creating and selling.  Doing both will help drive one another.

Jan 30 13 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

Fine Art Portraiture wrote:
What I've experienced is people like to look at nudes.  They don't like to display nudes.  In the art world nudes don't sell as well as less intimidating art or viewer friendly.  I also have found that people don't often buy works of other people they don't have a connection to.  The more abstract the better.  Your art work is beautiful and shows great emotion.  Don't let the market drive your motivation.  Do what you love and people will see it.  I would try having your subject commission the work you do.  Continue creating and selling.  Doing both will help drive one another.

Wonderful feedback... And I whole heartedly agree.... Thank you... :-)

Jan 30 13 07:07 pm Link

Model

Katz Pajamaz

Posts: 500

San Diego, California, US

bump

Feb 01 13 09:58 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Posts: 9306

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you making limited editions of these prints?  Max out at 15?  Max out at 300?  Open editions?  The fewer you offer, the more they'll sell for.  If you're offering 300 for sale of an image, $25.00 to $50.00 is about right.  If you offer 10 or 15 max for the issue, then $200.00 to $300.00 wouldn't be unheard of for a starting photographer. 

By the way, I wouldn't buy a thing that wasn't signed by the artist.  Having someone else print them is fine, but you need to sign them.  Period.  Collectors are making an investment.  Without your signature, that investment is worthless.

Feb 01 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

C h a r l e s  D wrote:
Are you making limited editions of these prints?  Max out at 15?  Max out at 300?  Open editions?  The fewer you offer, the more they'll sell for.  If you're offering 300 for sale of an image, $25.00 to $50.00 is about right.  If you offer 10 or 15 max for the issue, then $200.00 to $300.00 wouldn't be unheard of for a starting photographer. 

By the way, I wouldn't buy a thing that wasn't signed by the artist.  Having someone else print them is fine, but you need to sign them.  Period.  Collectors are making an investment.  Without your signature, that investment is worthless.

Point taken! I have no problem signing every one of them... :-) I will update that...

Feb 03 13 10:04 am Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

Feb 10 13 10:01 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Posts: 1822

Saco, Maine, US

In the art world, what you are selling is posters, not prints. Posters for $25.00 is about right.

If you print them yourself, on archival paper and # the print, then they are called "limited edition prints", and you could sell them for $100 and up, depending on size and edition of prints.

WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WERE YOU IS:

I would have each photo for sale as BOTH!

Take for example photo #1 (I forget if it is titled, and I forget what it is of, but lets call it "Happy Nude"), here is how I would list it:

"Happy Nude" is available as an original 8"x10" limited edition print, limited to a 150 print run, printed on archival paper and signed and numbered by the artist for $125.00. "Happy Nude" is also available as a  (? whatever size you want) poster, printed on regular Kodak photographic paper for $25.

You do not have to print ANY photo, either poster or LEP until you sell it, then once the sale comes in and you know what the client is buying, then print accordingly!

Best of luck, and tell me how it goes.

BTW, there are always buyer out there with money and art smarts, that would rather pay a higher price for something in a "limited edition" print.

Edit: Message me if you need more info.
Tim

Feb 10 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Posts: 5083

Catskill, New York, US

Overall I like your work. I like the style and the concept. It's interesting because I was recently thinking about how to do something similar.

I work around fine art all the time so it got me thinking about how I could create the same look and feel of that genera.

Feb 10 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

Katz Pajamaz

Posts: 500

San Diego, California, US

MainePaintah wrote:
In the art world, what you are selling is posters, not prints. Posters for $25.00 is about right.

If you print them yourself, on archival paper and # the print, then they are called "limited edition prints", and you could sell them for $100 and up, depending on size and edition of prints.

WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WERE YOU IS:

I would have each photo for sale as BOTH!

Take for example photo #1 (I forget if it is titled, and I forget what it is of, but lets call it "Happy Nude"), here is how I would list it:

"Happy Nude" is available as an original 8"x10" limited edition print, limited to a 150 print run, printed on archival paper and signed and numbered by the artist for $125.00. "Happy Nude" is also available as a  (? whatever size you want) poster, printed on regular Kodak photographic paper for $25.

You do not have to print ANY photo, either poster or LEP until you sell it, then once the sale comes in and you know what the client is buying, then print accordingly!

Best of luck, and tell me how it goes.

BTW, there are always buyer out there with money and art smarts, that would rather pay a higher price for something in a "limited edition" print.

Edit: Message me if you need more info.
Tim

This is fantastic information! Thank you so much! I really appreciate this feedback!

Feb 12 13 06:22 pm Link

Model

Katz Pajamaz

Posts: 500

San Diego, California, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Overall I like your work. I like the style and the concept. It's interesting because I was recently thinking about how to do something similar.

I work around fine art all the time so it got me thinking about how I could create the same look and feel of that genera.

I was also thinking about offering some photo editing services.... what are your thoughts?

Feb 12 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

balm in Gilead

Posts: 27

San Diego, California, US

FYI Katz Pajamaz and balm in Gilead = Same person ;-) Sorry for any confusion

Feb 12 13 06:24 pm Link