Forums > Critique > What does your profile text tell me about you?

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Middle of page 6.... Lou DiGesare is next when I get back smile

Based ONLY on your text.....do I think you'd be a good choice for a shoot?

Do you seem professional or an epic pain in the ass?

Do I walk away know what you do, and what you seek?

Is it made of WIN or full of red flag FAIL?

Post here, and I'll tell you the impression that I get.

Jan 24 13 06:06 pm Link

Model

Maruschke

Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand

I would love to know smile

Jan 24 13 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Grateful for any pointers or impressions.

Jan 24 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ok smile

Jan 24 13 06:16 pm Link

Model

Julie Thiessen

New York, New York, US

Sure.  It's probably time for a revamp anyway.

Jan 24 13 06:17 pm Link

Model

Amanda J Foster

New York, New York, US

Let me know. smile

Jan 24 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

me too

Jan 24 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Yes plz..

Jan 24 13 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Let me know

Jan 24 13 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Leahy Photography

Parkland, Florida, US

Yes, please let me know

Jan 24 13 06:23 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Maruschke wrote:
I would love to know smile

Hi Maruschke!

Over all your profile is pretty good. It's concise, has the basics covered, and you have a list of examples of what you are comfortable shooting.

However, I would change up the wording a tiny bit on this sentence:

"I still need direction in my posing but you will always learn as you go."

It kind of makes me think you're a bit lost, or might be hard to get good shots from.

Why not something like:

I appreciate posing direction, and learn quickly with a few pointers.

That puts a positive spin on the fact that you're still getting back into the swing of things after your hiatus

Jan 24 13 06:39 pm Link

Model

Maruschke

Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand

Paige Morgan wrote:
Hi Maruschke!

Over all your profile is pretty good. It's concise, has the basics covered, and you have a list of examples of what you are comfortable shooting.

However, I would change up the wording a tiny bit on this sentence:

"I still need direction in my posing but you will always learn as you go."

It kind of makes me think you're a bit lost, or might be hard to get good shots from.

Why not something like:

I appreciate posing direction, and learn quickly with a few pointers. That puts a positive spin on the fact that you're still getting back into the swing of things after your hiatus

That sounds alot better thank you very much smile

Jan 24 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Los Angeles, California, US

Sure!

Jan 24 13 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

James Ogilvie

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Go ahead and do me, keeping in mind that I have been taped into a box by someone and they won't let me out.

Jan 24 13 06:42 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Me? If you have the time smile

Jan 24 13 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Epic pain in the ass probably smile

Jan 24 13 06:43 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Grateful for any pointers or impressions.

I feel the first two paragraphs are a whole lot of words that say very little. I get what you are gunning for, but there has to be a better way to articulate your artistic stance.....given the rest of your profile and the look of your port...it shouldn't take that much word salad to get across your artistic goals.

Additionally, I would add a bit of info about your process as to the paragraph mentioning that digital proofs might take months or years. It tend to calm less patiernt people when they know the WHY of the wait

Jan 24 13 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Tell me

Jan 24 13 06:59 pm Link

Model

Emily Smiles

Columbia, South Carolina, US

me please?

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
Ok smile

The actual text is lovely. Clear and to the point, contains all basic details and potential obstacles.

However, I would either resize the image or move it underneath the text. I shouldn't have to scoll 3/4 of the way down to get to the gory details.

Model

HEATHER 19

Boston, Massachusetts, US

please

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I'll save you the trouble..

I'm an epic pain in the ass

tongue

Jan 24 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Yes please!

Jan 24 13 07:02 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

??

Jan 24 13 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Paige Morgan wrote:

The actual text is lovely. Clear and to the point, contains all basic details and potential obstacles.

However, I would either resize the image or move it underneath the text. I shouldn't have to scoll 3/4 of the way down to get to the gory details.

Cool. Thanks for taking a look!

Jan 24 13 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm in smile

Jan 24 13 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Quentin Skyking

Lancaster, Massachusetts, US

I'll bite! Go for it!

Jan 24 13 07:04 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Julie Thiessen wrote:
Sure.  It's probably time for a revamp anyway.

I feel like you are almost too curt.

I love a concise profile, but your comes off a bit standoffish because it is so brief.

As far as being on the smaller side of plus.......that detail is more relevant if you do a lot of work outside NYC.

The caliber of folks you are looking to work with here (working, agency quality shooters) would already be aware that your listed size of 10 being on the small side of plus...and that it is a local new york city quirk that size 10-12 is the start of plus for us.

If you were in LA (where plus tends to start at the 12-14 range) I'd understand you qualifying.

I'd remove the do not recommend list on your profile, as I find those to be more trouble than their worth.....most people just see "drama" (even if it is justified that you won't work with them again), and skip you.

Put those 2 photographers on your general members I've worked with list, and if anyone contacts you for a reference....tell them why you do not advise working with those folks in PM.

Also, the link to your smiling photo is not working.

Why not something like this?

" Hi! My name is Julie. I'm a professional, published plus model in NYC. This is my full time job, so paid work takes priority, but I'm  willing to test if it is mutually beneficial.

I'm a long girl with short hair, and yes, I do indeed smile smile"

~functional link to smiling photo~

Jan 24 13 07:11 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Sure!

I'd switch the order of your stuff around, but that's about all.

"I am now represented by......"

"Although I don't always succeed..."profile text

Tumblr link

Photo Vogue link

~gallery show image~

~self portrait~

Jan 24 13 07:18 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Amanda J Foster wrote:
Let me know. smile

You are just fine as is.

Got your move dates, your agency booking info and your testing policy.

Inquire for credits

It works for your circumstances...young,signed, and not dependent on mayhem.

Jan 24 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Crap, I think I missed hitting the Reply button a few minutes ago... anyways, yes hit me wink

Jan 24 13 07:23 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

James Ogilvie wrote:
Go ahead and do me, keeping in mind that I have been taped into a box by someone and they won't let me out.

I'll let you out, but you need to put a tiny bit more in the profile......

Rates, do you have them, want folks to inquire about them...something that addresses non test situations, and encourages people to offer more than a tip big_smile

What sort of models are you looking to test? For what kind of concepts? Will you contact those you wish to test with or are you open to blind messages asking? (Depends on your patience level)

Are you looking to test just MUA or also wardrobe and hair? Or do you prefer MUA who also do light hair?

Keep the box of bunnies. Keeps it from being TOO brusque.

(It'll cut down the amount of back and forth about appropriate wardrobe if they at least have a ball park idea of style/genre)

Jan 24 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

Font me up.

Jan 24 13 07:29 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Evie_Wolfe wrote:
Me? If you have the time smile

Your profile text is great but I'd move all the MM contest badges underneath the text, and take the extra images out of the middle of the text as well

Profile text/ Q&A

For more of my work....fanpage link

Extra shoot images/contset badges

Always make the who what when where and why as quick and easy to find as possible smile

Jan 24 13 07:31 pm Link

Model

Michaela-Ann

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Jan 24 13 07:32 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Epic pain in the ass probably smile

You seem professional and fun, but your profile is a bit of a pain in the ass to read.
This chunk of text should be front and center:

"Hello, and welcome to my Model Mayhem profile and portfolio.  I'm glad you decided to drop by.   If you are considering working with me, please feel free to contact any of the models I have worked with for references.

I believe in establishing a strong working rapport on set, while maintaining a safe, comfortable and mutually respectful working environment.  I encourage models makeup artists hair and wardrobe stylists to participate creatively in the production process, contributing their artistic talents and freely sharing their ideas. I believe in leaving room for serendipity within a disciplined production process....

It generally requires booking with me three to four weeks in advance to get into my schedule. 

Only the model and production team members (hair stylist, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist or designer, and photographic assistants) are allowed on my set.  Anyone accompanying a model will need to wait elsewhere in the studio building during the shoot.

My studio based work is shot at a professional studio with first class amenities, professional staff always on site. There are large, well equipped and completely private areas for makeup hair and styling / dressing - one for each of our three studio sets.

http://union206.com/facilities/

I shoot editorial fashion and beauty for publication submissions with Agency represented or Agency Standard models at a minimum 5'9 in height,  and at size 0 / 2

I am also interested in shooting conceptual and art projects for publication submissions, gallery exhibition and print sales - see my castings and check my portfolio here and my facebook for castings.

Tradework is very limited and will usually take the form of my shooting something you want for your portfolio in exchange for your shooting something I want for mine..... sometimes it may be that we will actually want the same thing.  But if we can't both benefit I don't see the point of trade.  I have been very liberal about trade in the past but due to demand I have to become more specific and focused when offering trade. 

I do sometimes just shoot for fun, off the cuff - or shoot informal fashion and glamour -   it never hurts to inquire -

I am also available for model portfolio development, comp cards, etc.  at reasonable rates and can provide full styling teams at the model's expense. I do not spend much time at this and it is not a focus of my work, but if feel free to contact me if this is of interest.

When shooting on a TF basis I will provide 3 fully edited images per look (up to a maximum of twelve images) within four weeks of the closing of the shoot or receipt of your image selections, in 800 pixel width for internet use. I will also provide a written Image Use License on request.

When shooting with a compensated model,  providing images will be based on  negotiation and dependent on rates.  I place a high value on my images -  models who do not will not find me receptive to negotiation. "

All of the links (facebook, twitter, TF policy etc.) should be below that. In fact why not make a web or blog page of all the MM members you've worked with and then post the link to them for those seeking references?

That frees up your credits list for your exhibitions/publications and other achievements.

I hate the 3rd party quotes/endoresments personally.....because unless the person reading knows or admires whoever complimented you, it won't mean anything to them and doesn't really replace a detailed reference. Thos could also be shuttled off to a blog or website page and be linked to for space's sake

You owe no one an explanation of why you delete comments or tags, and most of the comment/tag junkies will forget they left it 30 seconds later.

No need to justify keeping your page family/client friendly. It isn't a democracy....so I'd ditch the health warning too.

Jan 24 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

La Mouette

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I would be up for it, since English is not my first language, I'm afraid that my profile will be unclear or that I had choose some wrong words. Thanks :-)

Jan 24 13 07:49 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Tell me

Just like a model, we don't need too much life history I'd scratch all of this:

"I've always had a passion for photography. While studying in high school, I was able to get some hands on experience with the camera as well as learning darkroom techniques.

Following high school, I've owned several business’ in industries ranging from specialized construction to computer networking.

While working for a current IT client, there came a calling for some regular photography work, rekindling my interest in the art of light."

Instead I'd go with:

"I've recently rekindled my interest in photography, and have been shooting client work of Caribbean landscape and high end antiques on a semi-professional level.

My goals here are to expand my subject matter~insert genres/styles~, network with other industry professionals and improve my photography skills. Ultimately I'd like to grow my hobby into a profession.

If you'd like to see my travel/Carribbean work, come visit me at:

http://tropictrekker.com"

Jan 24 13 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

RAVELAZ

San Francisco, California, US

Sounds fun! I'd like to know smile

Jan 24 13 07:54 pm Link

Model

ebbfauna

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I am down for a little tough love tonight.
Peruse away, should you desire! Open ears to your opinion.

Jan 24 13 07:56 pm Link