Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > NY or London for school...?

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

Hello,

I'm a newbie artist living in London, leaning towards working in print but this isn't set in stone. I know the school subject has been done to death but please bear with me. I've decided (after much debate) that I WOULD like to attend school to increase my confidence, diversify my skills, learn hairstyling properly and also because I think I'd enjoy it. I also recognise the potential to gain considerable contacts, particularly for the future...

I've rounded it down to two schools - MUD (New York campus) or Delamar Academy in London (either the 22 week "make-up school certificate" type course or the 1 year Higher Education Certificate course).

http://www.mud.edu/School-Site-2013/ny-campus.html
http://www.delamaracademy.co.uk

Both schools appear to be of an equivalent high standard and have successful alumni, although MUD doesn't appear to shout much about their teachers whereas Delamar has an impressive list of industry-active teachers. Both appear to offer good post-grad work experience oppurtunities (only in London would I be able to take advantage of these of course). Money is not a primary issue.

The main argument for MUD is it's international reputation for good quality teaching, and it's location - basically I'd love to spend an extended period in New York purely for the adventure! However Delamar, on paper at least, is certainly the more "sensible" option. Do any UK artists have opinions on Delamar? I'm struggling to find much by way of discussion on them.

For artists who did go to school, are you still in contact with your fellow alumni? Do you ever work with them? Did you find it useful having these contacts, for referrals and support, or do you think that the school contacts issue is more minor than that and the vast majority aren't working as MUAs anymore? Because if it is, I may as well just go to New York. If it's more vital, I think I would stay in London, where I plan to work for the foreseeable future.

I've been on (good) short courses and pretty much no one is working towards becoming a full-time MUA any more, bar two or three. I'd assume the percentage would be higher for these longer courses...?

Any guidance or opinions on the schools or any other issues are much appreciated smile I'm open to all advice!

Jan 27 13 07:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rileen Chua

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

have you heard of AOFM? i went for a upgrade course there and loved every bit of it. its a short course though (3-4 weeks). check out their facebook. there is so many assisting opportunities from the school that I've managed to get paid assisting jobs after about 2 months of graduation. all through assisting with the school. they have a school in NY too so london grads fly over for NYFW! smile

https://www.facebook.com/AOFMakeup

Jan 27 13 11:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Princeton, New Jersey, US

The reason your not getting more answers to this question is because every single professional makeup artist I've ever known believes that the "schools" are by in large a huge waste of time & money and over promise and way under deliver.  No real "artist" would be teaching.  They would be out earning their day rate not an instructors salary.  It is widely believed that most all are just some women from a brand counter or were in the industry working 10+ years ago, in which everything has really changed anyway.

I never was sure if I really ever fully believed the sentiment until I took a single class at a very well known NYC school. No ego here, I promise you the very young women teaching the class had very little communication skills.  By her apparent age alone she couldn't have more than a few years of experience .  It just went against all the hype and prestige they built up for the class.
In fact I was dumbfounded to learn I indeed had considerable more knowledge in that days lesson that I thought I needed help in!  So, know I do truly believe it. it's been said so many times on MM by dozens of well known artists.  Search it out if you want more info on ways to do it without school.

You can do it on your own by reading, studying, asking questions, just immerse yourself in the industry.  Attend shows, work retail cosmetic stores/ counters, practice on a faces every single chance you can, when you get better then do TFP's, test your looks, when you get good then assistant a damn good artist.  Then you are ready, perhaps wink save the money on school and invest in your kit, take hands on classes held by well known artists and learn from REAL talent and not some BS school that popped up in the last few years.

Good luck on your endeavor~

Feb 02 13 11:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

^^ I guess it's partly a confidence thing... lots to think about now, thank you.

Feb 03 13 02:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

Dani Jaye  wrote:
The reason your not getting more answers to this question is because every single professional makeup artist I've ever known believes that the "schools" are by in large a huge waste of time & money and over promise and way under deliver.  No real "artist" would be teaching.  They would be out earning their day rate not an instructors salary.  It is widely believed that most all are just some women from a brand counter or were in the industry working 10+ years ago, in which everything has really changed anyway.

This is not true in all cases, and the delamar academy has a fairly good reputation amongst hair and makeup artists working in the UK film industry - mainly because many of them teach there from time to time. And Penny Delamar, the founder, was an established artist - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0790103/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I didn't want to have any influence on your decision, as I know little of MUD academy, although a good friend of mine went there after her London training and rates it highly. Your choice of school really does depend on what direction you wish to take. If you want to go into film, then Delamar and MUD are appropriate - if you are keen to get into fashion I'd suggest you look at London College of Fashion. School is about networking with active artists who tutor there as much as anything else, so I'd recommend you thoroughly research the tutors and their current credits. Make sure they are recent.

Feb 03 13 02:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

That is super helpful Heather, thanks.

Feb 03 13 06:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Michael Key

Los Angeles, California, US

Selecting a school is a very important choice. It is a considerable investment of time and especially money. There are some less than great schools which is why you get some negative comments. But the two you are looking at are excellent. Actually the quality of instruction available is the best it has ever been. I've been selecting students from around the world for our student make-up  competition at IMATS for 15 years. The photo submissions are far superior to a decade ago. Take a look at the photos Gary from Select Models posted in the IMATS LA thread. There's some very talented people coming out of some schools.

As for NYC or London, both are great. My guess is that other personal factors will help you make that decision. Let us know what you decide.

Feb 03 13 08:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MA YE

New York, New York, US

MUD does not offer post graduate anything. Yes, they will make you believe that. I went to MUD in 2008 and have gotten not one single job or contact from them. When I emailed the person in charge of the 'career services' a year after I graduated saying that i thought I was ready to assist and how to go about it (it was right before fashion week) she had no advice for me. Fast forward to now, she kept all of those contacts for herself and gets a shit ton of work assisting. That's MUD in a nutshell. Don't fall for it.

Edit: very few of the people in my class are pursuing seriously... or 'making it'. Most went into retail or used their back up college degrees and went that direction.

Feb 04 13 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Maria Vittoria B

Heather J M wrote:
School is about networking with active artists who tutor there as much as anything else, so I'd recommend you thoroughly research the tutors and their current credits. Make sure they are recent.

^^ this
AOFM seems to be the only one in London to really offer that type of opportunity.
No school is going to give you any SUPPORT or hand you jobs, you will still have to do it all by yourself.

Feb 06 13 08:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Simire MUA

If money is not a huge factor in this equation Lauren then go for it. Personally, i have mixed feelings about makeup schools in London. Having said that, i have heard good things about Delamar.

Really depends on your reasons for attending and your expectations. Would they be equally met by carrying out a shed load of TFP work around Europe in addition to assisting very experienced pros, attending workshops etc?

Either way i would chew over it a great deal before parting with money.

Good luck!

Feb 12 13 03:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

Maria V Bortolussi wrote:

^^ this
AOFM seems to be the only one in London to really offer that type of opportunity.
No school is going to give you any SUPPORT or hand you jobs, you will still have to do it all by yourself.

I do not agree with this.

Feb 12 13 05:08 am Link