Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Blocking out brows with gluestick? Is it ok to use

Makeup Artist

ShannonJennings MUA

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

I have seen a popular you tuber do this a lot. I want to play around with some blocked out brow looks but I can't fathom sticking glue stick all over someone's face.

I know they're non toxic & meant for children (who let's face it, usually give them a bit if a chew as well) but as I keep reading here non toxic does not mean safe for cosmetic use (especially near the eyes!)

So are there cosmetic or spfx alternatives?

Jan 28 13 02:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

New York, New York, US

I use ProsAide. This is a more advanced approach, though. If you aren't trained in how to properly apply and remove, I would try the glue stick and get a feel for laying down the brows and removing the product safely.

Jan 28 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Try wax first , the wax is palable enough once warmed to properly cover the brows . Once it is applied then apply the foundation as usualy.
Its how I learned for special effect make up ., I hope that helps .

Jan 28 13 03:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ShannonJennings MUA

Escalante wrote:
Try wax first , the wax is palable enough once warmed to properly cover the brows . Once it is applied then apply the foundation as usualy.
Its how I learned for special effect make up ., I hope that helps .

What kind of wax? Softened beeswax? How do you get wax out of someone's eyebrows?

Jan 28 13 03:20 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

New York, New York, US

I know drag queens do this a lot. I don't know how much or little that bit of info helps, but I would imagine it's safe as you point out it's made for children. Kids will put shit anywhere without so much as a second thought, and I'm sure the manufactures take this into consideration.

Jan 28 13 03:24 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

New York, New York, US

S_J wrote:
What kind of wax? Softened beeswax? How do you get wax out of someone's eyebrows?

Scar wax would be my suggestion for blocking out brows. It's hard as hell to get out though.... stays around for several days

Jan 28 13 03:25 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

My friend Aeni Domme taught me the No-Tac Prosaid method of brow blocking at IMATS.
Fast, flexible, durable and super clean finish.

As to Glue Stick - I put this in the same category of Non-Toxic craft product for body paint. It might work - but we're making health decisions for another human being.... so cosmetic products should be the first choice.

Cell phone pick of "Skull" brow blocked by Aeni:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319715_4901506742764_892415377_n.jpg

Jan 28 13 03:25 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

New York, New York, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
My friend Aeni Domme taught me the No-Tac Prosaid method of brow blocking at IMATS.
Fast, flexible, durable and super clean finish.

As to Glue Stick - I put this in the same category of Non-Toxic craft product for body paint. It might work - but we're making health decisions for another human being.... so cosmetic products should be the first choice.

Cell phone pick of "Skull" brow blocked by Aeni:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319715_4901506742764_892415377_n.jpg

This is SICK! Love it smile

Jan 28 13 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

S_J wrote:

Here you go Chica , hope that helps

http://www.makeupforever.com/products/n … o-wax.html

Jan 28 13 03:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make-Up Inc

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Using the UHU glue stick is good but this is better. Please excuse me if you already know this but I just learned this trick myself.

1. Clean the brow area with alcohol to remove oils.
2. Holding the brows taught, apply the glue stick (UHU) in an up and outward motion following the brow hair growth, then powder with translucent powder.
3. Using Face & Body wax (Cinema Secrets) warm a small piece on your hand and apply with a make-up spatula to the glue covered brows, then powder with translucent poweder.
4. Then take the (Cinema Secrets) Wax sealer and smooth it over the wax using your finger to create a smooth surface. Blend out any bump or lumps.

This process gives you an amazing Brow Block. I recently learned to do it this way and the process comes from an actual Drag Queen who uses it for blocking his brows when he does his shows. Happy Brow Blocking!!  smile

Jan 28 13 03:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

New York, New York, US

You can also use mortician's wax..I've done that before too

Jan 28 13 06:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Hair by Dani B

Los Angeles, California, US

A lot of hobbyists do this.

The problem is that it is not a product approved for use on the body. It also does not give the best finish for professional use. As others have stated, Pros-Aide or wax and sealer is the gold standard. I personally like Kryolan's brow wax and sealer, which can also be used with spirit gum if you prefer.

Jan 28 13 08:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ShannonJennings MUA

Thanks everyone. I definitely agree putting glue on the face is not a great idea. (I'm sure it ends well most of the time but what about the rare time when it doesn't?)

I am going to look into the pros aide & wax options.

Jan 28 13 09:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dorota MUA

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

I have tried using glue - I didn't liked the final effect... It was hard for me to reach the nice smooth surface/texture...

But for my last two photoshoots (& firstly I have tested on myself ) I have used standard wax for making the FX wounds - snazaroo wax - as I still had 1/2 of box after Halloween.
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/images/products/snazaroo_special_fx_wax_75ml.jpg

Honestly I am happy with the result... everything what was glued by lash glue to eyebrows > everything incl. wax  - removes and cleans easy. I didn't apply foundation to cover the colour as I didn't need it for both look...but should look much better than glue stick...

Jan 29 13 12:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

james vincent

New York, New York, US

I love glue stick to hide eyebrows. I use the purple Elmer's. It is so much faster than any of the other methods I have used and the texture does not shine through or compromise the foundation like some of the waxes can. It is non toxic and washes off with warm water and soap but does not lift with sweat like some of the other methods.

Here is a link to the Florence and the Machine video for Spectrum I keyed where all of the  dancers brows are covered with glue stick. It worked well through 20 hours of shooting and dancing and being wet down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-_lVzdiFE

Good Luck. J

Jan 29 13 03:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make-Up Inc

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Every Artist will find and use what they like best. It is great to hear what everyone is using. I must say though the Purple UHU Glue stick is NON-TOXIC and safe. Nobody is ingesting it and it does nothing by sitting on the skin....However, if anyone comes across a product that is better please let me know. I am always up for learning new tricks of the trade.
I find that too many people can have a reaction to the spirit gum.  I always try new stuff on myself first, that is how I came to learn that I can't use Spirit Gum or Pros-Aid on my skin. So there will be other people in the same boat. It is trial and error.

Jan 30 13 06:11 pm Link

Model

Siobhan C

Woking-Byfleet, England, United Kingdom

id say wax

Jan 31 13 12:46 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

makeupinc wrote:
Every Artist will find and use what they like best. It is great to hear what everyone is using. I must say though the Purple UHU Glue stick is NON-TOXIC and safe. Nobody is ingesting it and it does nothing by sitting on the skin....However, if anyone comes across a product that is better please let me know. I am always up for learning new tricks of the trade.
I find that too many people can have a reaction to the spirit gum.  I always try new stuff on myself first, that is how I came to learn that I can't use Spirit Gum or Pros-Aid on my skin. So there will be other people in the same boat. It is trial and error.

non toxic means if you eat it you wont die, not that its a *good idea* to eat it, or to smear it all over your skin and leave it that way for any amount of time. There are chemicals used in glues/adhesives that people have allergic reactions to/become irritated by that are not present in products specifically made FOR the skin. Put anything you want on your own skin but why risk it with a client, when they specifically make the kind of product you need for a job and they even give you an ingredients list (something you dont find on most craft supplies)

Jan 31 13 05:54 pm Link

Digital Artist

Platinum Dust

San Francisco, California, US

I've used glue stick brow blocking for four days, all day in a row before without any problems, and I'm one who tends to hate and be really sensitive to lots of chemicals. It's safe and works, but the other, more professional methods are probably going to give better results, not to mention look better to clients than whipping out a kiddie glue stick.

Jan 31 13 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Young Photos

Cocoa, Florida, US

I've covered my own eyebrows using two methods, one is SO much faster than the other. The first is the glue stick the other is spirit gum/modeling wax. The glue stick works best if the person already has shorter eyebrow hair.

Glue Stick
1.)Take eyebrow comb and brush it against the hair growth so its all kinda sticking up then go back over with the grain to comb it and make it all going the right way.
2.)Take the glue stick (I LOVE the purple one, especially the bigger sticks are easier) and go over it startiing just before the eybrow starts until just past making sure you're getting just above and below.
3.)Wait for it to dry
4.)Do this 2 or 3 times more until desired effect. Sometimes you can use a knife or putty knife and take a chunk off the glue stick and go over that way. This way can take up to a half hour to dry. If you have a chinese fan to wave at the glue it goes faster.

Glue is safe, and I've used it hundreds of times to no effect. Comes off without any problem.

Spirit Gum/Modeling Wax
1.)Take eyebrow comb and brush it against the hair growth so its all kinda sticking up then go back over with the grain to comb it and make it all going the right way.
2.)Take the spirit glue and go the wrong way with the brush getting every little bit
3.)Smooth it out and go over it again the right way.
4.) Take modeling wax and make a tiny ball and make a THIN layer over the eyebrows. Start at the base near the nose and go backwards

With both methods powder with translucent powder after. The spirit glue takes the solvent to remove and can take a while but it takes like 5 mins.

Feb 09 13 02:51 pm Link