Forums > General Industry > How far will you go...

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

...to get that awesome shot?

I have several locations I want to shoot this summer, but they aren't exactly easy to get to! Secluded beaches, waterfalls, mountain tops, etc.

Would you be willing to hike 4 or 5 hours one way to a shoot location? Would you hike to the top of a mountain (like a 10,000ft mountain)? Would you even be willing to hike all day and camp in the backcountry for a night to get the shot?

Here is the catch. It is TF only. You can't say "sure, if the money was right", or submit your $1000 day rate.

TF terms are different for everyone, I understand. TF with me means getting a signed 24" AP print. No money exchanged, this is simply what you are willing to do for the sake of making art smile

I'm more interested in hearing from the models, but everyone can join in if they want. Epic stories are most welcome!

Jan 29 13 07:56 am Link

Model

Lola Magdalene Scott

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I would be willing to climb a mountain or hike to a waterfall location on TF...IF...the photographer was willing to submit them to magazines for publication..a simple big canvas of me wouldn't be good enough...i need to be able to use all that work to my best advantage...

Jan 29 13 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

My studio is about 20 feet from my house. I'd probably go twice that far for the right shot.

Jan 29 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

C s p i n e wrote:
My studio is about 20 feet from my house. I'd probably go twice that far for the right shot.

Now that's dedication!! Willing to go twice as far as what is required smile

Jan 29 13 10:22 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

I have several locations I want to shoot this summer, but they aren't exactly easy to get to! Secluded beaches, waterfalls, mountain tops, etc.

Would you be willing to hike 4 or 5 hours one way to a shoot location? Would you hike to the top of a mountain (like a 10,000ft mountain)? Would you even be willing to hike all day and camp in the backcountry for a night to get the shot?

Here is the catch. It is TF only. You can't say "sure, if the money was right", or submit your $1000 day rate.

TF terms are different for everyone, I understand. TF with me means getting a signed 24" AP print. No money exchanged, this is simply what you are willing to do for the sake of making art smile

I'm more interested in hearing from the models, but everyone can join in if they want. Epic stories are most welcome!

Seriously?! That is awesome!!!

For the right shot, I'd travel a lot, hike, put myself in potentially dangerous (but not stupid) situations. What I mean by that is along the lines of-- I would pose with a trained tiger, but I'm not going to throw myself into the cage at the zoo to get that perfect shot.

Jan 29 13 10:31 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Depends on the location.

If it was a beautiful location and somewhere where I felt I *HAVE* to shoot at and it was with a skilled photographer then I would TF for that.

edit: Looked at your profile again. Where ever you were for your profile picture, I'd hike there. Or all over BC for that matter.

Jan 29 13 10:35 am Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

With your work quality I'd easily hike a day and a night, as long as it didnt interfere with my other duties.

Jan 29 13 10:36 am Link

Model

Affinity Finch

Torpoint, England, United Kingdom

NicoleNudes wrote:
Depends on the location.

If it was a beautiful location and somewhere where I felt I *HAVE* to shoot at and it was with a skilled photographer then I would TF for that.

+1
If it were a location that would creat some KILLEr pics then i'd prob hike all day if it wernt for my shit knees hmm But otherwise i love finiding random locations that really show dedication when finding them! smile

Jan 29 13 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I'm willing to go to great lengths if I'm sure it will result in a great shot for myself or TF.

If there's pay involved I may be more risky with gear etc if the payout warranted that.

Jan 29 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

C s p i n e wrote:

I'm willing to drive up to 20'000 feet.
Or hike/walk up to 200 feet.
Or crawl/roll up to 20 feet.
Or type up to 2 messages.

Jan 29 13 11:04 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

K I C K H A M wrote:

For the right shot, I'd travel a lot, hike, put myself in potentially dangerous (but not stupid) situations. What I mean by that is along the lines of-- I would pose with a trained tiger, but I'm not going to throw myself into the cage at the zoo to get that perfect shot.

Makes sense. Calculated risks... You always want to live to model/shoot another day!

Jan 29 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

NicoleNudes wrote:
Depends on the location.

edit: Looked at your profile again. Where ever you were for your profile picture, I'd hike there. Or all over BC for that matter.

Luckily that location only required a two minute walk from the side of the highway haha!

Jan 29 13 12:14 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, Ive done all day hiking for shoots.

like any other TF shoot, I dont do it for just anybody

Jan 29 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

I have hung off of the edge of a cliff while 3 friends held my belt and legs so that I can get a landscape image of Yosemite Falls.

Jan 29 13 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

This is why they invented green screen and photoshop. With all of the post production that is already included in the shots, you can save time, money and never leave your studio. A good wizard is all you need.

Jan 29 13 01:05 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Probably not as far as Lisa Fonssagrives; Eiffel tower 1938:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WY1XNw80dis/Tdfwo3oQK_I/AAAAAAAAKYg/N5aibwLHDdg/s1600/blumenvj9.jpg
Or even this:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Li5WBPr-hX4/TdfwfMn3kyI/AAAAAAAAKYY/PCpKLj91f-E/s1600/tumblr_lkn2ttdR5c1qztk1wo1_400.jpg

Jan 29 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Paid or not, I'll travel and do just about anything for a great shot. I actually think it would be kind fun to hike all day with a small crew, camp out and then spend the next day just shooting.

Jan 29 13 01:30 pm Link

Model

JP09

Eliza C wrote:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WY1XNw80dis/Tdfwo3oQK_I/AAAAAAAAKYg/N5aibwLHDdg/s1600/blumenvj9.jpg
Or even this:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Li5WBPr-hX4/TdfwfMn3kyI/AAAAAAAAKYY/PCpKLj91f-E/s1600/tumblr_lkn2ttdR5c1qztk1wo1_400.jpg

But look over 70 years later, and they're still incredible shots! You don't make that kind of magic without some risk. So absolutely, for the right photographer and the right shot, I'd hike all day. smile

Jan 29 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Eliza C wrote:
Or even this:

Awesome!

Jan 29 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

K I C K H A M wrote:

My kind of shoot, my favorite kind of model wink

I've been lucky enough to get quite a few wilderness-friendly models... now to get one willing to trek 10 miles with 6000 feet of elevation gain, including some rock scrambles and potentially hostile weather (9 inches of snow in August, according to one of the ranger reports), to shoot in one of the world's most beautiful places... like this:
https://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000sctRmxztmr4/s/500/I0000sctRmxztmr4.jpg

Jan 29 13 09:41 pm Link

Model

Sky Donohue

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Depends on the photographer for me. I love hiking and outdoors shoots so if someone with a good portfolio wanted to do it I would jump at the chance.

Jan 29 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

FilmmakerDC wrote:
This is why they invented green screen and photoshop. With all of the post production that is already included in the shots, you can save time, money and never leave your studio. A good wizard is all you need.

Ah, yes. The monkeys with machine guns approach. That is to say, idiots with bux and no interest in quality do things that way. Real Photographers (tm) and Real Models (tm) get out and do things right. Which means breaking out the large format film camera, no pansy-ass digitoys... wink

Jan 29 13 09:54 pm Link

Model

Kitty Devereux

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

To the edge of earth to shoot with you!!!

Jan 29 13 10:00 pm Link

Model

Genie Cruz

BEECH ISLAND, South Carolina, US

i love to trek the woods regardless, hiking to get to a beautiful place, count me in. plus who knows, you could catch some awesome shots on the way, especially if your camping through the night and leave early morning. nature has a way of bringing out the beauty in the most original photos! =}

Jan 29 13 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

I drove about 6 hours to a waterfall in northern CA with a model. Shot there at dawn, then shot a little more at another town up north.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21831216

The water was too cold for her to go all the way out, and i had little experience shooting waterfalls, so the pic wasn't really a success in my mind

I would do it again, but a 12-hour round-trip is about my limit for TFP.

Jan 30 13 01:28 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

JP09 wrote:
But look over 70 years later, and they're still incredible shots! You don't make that kind of magic without some risk. So absolutely, for the right photographer and the right shot, I'd hike all day. smile

I agree they are still great shots. But worth noting that while most people who know the shot know it was taken by Erwin Blumenfeld, far fewer know the model was Lisa Fonssagrives. Yet she was a supermodel of her day. She took the greater risk....although there was also some story about him scrabbling for a lens he dropped so also dangerous for him I suppose.
I have a personal issue with heights hence those shots sprung to mind.

I think a balance is needed between total abandon and the health and safety restrictions society suffers from today.

Jan 30 13 06:46 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Mask Photo wrote:
I drove about 6 hours to a waterfall in northern CA with a model. Shot there at dawn, then shot a little more at another town up north.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21831216

The water was too cold for her to go all the way out, and i had little experience shooting waterfalls, so the pic wasn't really a success in my mind

I would do it again, but a 12-hour round-trip is about my limit for TFP.

That spot definitely looks like fun!

Jan 30 13 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
but I'm not going to throw myself into the cage at the zoo to get that perfect shot.

darn, i was just about to book you too...

=P

i don't hike, but i have driven my truck pretty far offroad out to remote locations in the Mojave Desert for shoots...

Jan 30 13 08:07 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

FilmmakerDC wrote:

It never looks as good as the real thing.

Jan 30 13 08:23 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

I would always be more enthusiatic for a shoot that requires hiking, climbing etc to get to a location tha is going to blow minds!

I would love edgy, outside of the box shoots for my portfolio but i find its harder to find a photographer to do that type of shoot than it would be to find a model willing to do so.

Jan 30 13 08:33 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Leone P wrote:
I would always be more enthusiatic for a shoot that requires hiking, climbing etc to get to a location tha is going to blow minds!

I would love edgy, outside of the box shoots for my portfolio but i find its harder to find a photographer to do that type of shoot than it would be to find a model willing to do so.

That actually doesn't surprise me. If a photographer has their own studio they tend not to leave it if they don't have to... Which is understandable for the most part. Studios, even small home studios, are not cheap!

Jan 30 13 08:45 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

That actually doesn't surprise me. If a photographer has their own studio they tend not to leave it if they don't have to... Which is understandable for the most part. Studios, even small home studios, are not cheap!

Very true but ooooh the adventure one could have!

Jan 30 13 08:51 am Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

To the Moon and Back...!  :-)

Jan 30 13 09:06 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

I might go as far as taking my pants off......but that's it!

Jan 30 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

I won't hike nearly as far as you described... 

but there are a few models in this thread that would be very tempted to hike that far with to get those shots.

Can I bring a llama to carry our gear?

Our world is filled with a lot of beauty, and to be able to add even more beauty to it in the name of art, that is something very worthy!!

Jan 30 13 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

Need a shooting partner/assistant? wink I'm always down for an adventure!

There are no limits for me... big_smile obviously.

Jan 30 13 09:58 pm Link

Model

Jordan L Duncan

Jacksonville, Florida, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

Hike 4 or 5 miles one way? Yes. Easy.

Scale a mountain. Yes, with proper equipment. I don't have any experience doing it, but I'd give it a try!

Hiking and camping and shooting to me actually sounds more like a nature adventure than a shoot. It sounds more like something I'd do for the pleasure of the outdoors really, but with a bonus photoshoot.

Jan 31 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

MelissaAnn  wrote:
I might go as far as taking my pants off......but that's it!

Where's your sense of adventure? smile

Jan 31 13 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

Jordan L Duncan wrote:
Hike 4 or 5 miles one way? Yes. Easy.

Scale a mountain. Yes, with proper equipment. I don't have any experience doing it, but I'd give it a try!

Hiking and camping and shooting to me actually sounds more like a nature adventure than a shoot. It sounds more like something I'd do for the pleasure of the outdoors really, but with a bonus photoshoot.

https://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00009Ram.HGNDY4/s/500/I00009Ram.HGNDY4.jpg

https://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00004TYaiJCHIks/s/500/I00004TYaiJCHIks.jpg'

In that case you should come and hang out with me for a few days this summer wink

Oh, and I'm a good cook, even in the back-country....

Jan 31 13 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

i'
d go as far as the front door

...to let the model in

Jan 31 13 11:11 pm Link