Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Lightroom & Photoshop Workflow

Photographer

King Tay

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

When it comes to retouching within these two program.  What process is done LR and what process is done in PS.  Also can anyone provide me with a total Workflow with using both programs, but mostly in PS?

Jan 30 13 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

I personally do almost all my work in Lightroom. I only use PS for some skin work if its needed or to patch/clone. Lightroom does the cloning but I like doing it in PS more. Things that take 15 layers in PS to achieve will take two steps in LR. Im about efficient work flow. I have made my own presets and batch process, I just tweak whats needed.

PS gets used the most for graphic type stuff like storyboards, layouts, business cards, STD's, and stuff for my website.

I dont do fantasy or backgrounds or the like, not my style. I also dont do high-end retouching. I can when needed but for my everyday work its just not needed.

Jan 31 13 07:04 am Link

Retoucher

pixel dimension ilusion

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

you need both to open files like nef or cr2 u need camara raw or lightroom ounce you have an nice colour correct and exposure to start with ps will do the res for u ,they  r things u cant do in lightroom like hi split frec ect and the r things in ps u cant do like like change the camara settings,well depend if u use actions or presets then is more the easy way but for hitech industry retouch u onw procudere is more worthed and dodge and burrning is more easy for me in ps for others in lightroom depend how well
u dominate the programs i love both, advantage also in lightroom u can batch an whole set of images with the same settings in 1 shot , not shure u can do that in ps
but i recommend u to use both , they both greath programs

Jan 31 13 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

LR can do a lot of things like build web sites, print directly, make catalogues, and directories.

The part it does well with is actually common to Photoshop and is develop raw files, and or add control sets to other encoded images like TIFF or JPG.

LR hands off the images selected either one by one or in batch, and applies any color or other corrections applied in the develop module. The transformations are done by the very same motor that PS uses called Adobe Camera Raw.

The interface in LR is much more visual, and for me a joy to use. I often send multiple copies of the same raw to PS as a layered Photoshop file.

Just pay attention to your preferences of what file format, and color space, in both LR or ACR.

Jan 31 13 09:14 am Link

Retoucher

Frankcerro

Sevilla, Andalusia, Spain

For easy adjustments, like change color, white balance, brightnes and contrast,etc its best use ligtroom, but if you want use technics like Dogge and burn or frequency split,open multy objects its best Photoshop with Camera raw and using Bridge to have a good workflow

Jan 31 13 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

King Tay

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Thx everyone.

Feb 04 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Neil Snape wrote:
The interface in LR is much more visual, and for me a joy to use. I often send multiple copies of the same raw to PS as a layered Photoshop file.

is there a way to do this automatically? I always do it via multiple exports...

Feb 05 13 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds in Digital

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I use Lightroom to import, archive, and very light things like lens correction.  Then I port over to Photoshop for the real work.

Feb 05 13 01:09 pm Link