Forums > Critique > Please tell me what you think of my hair.

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Hi everyone!
I haven't posted in here in decades.  Or something like that.  It can be a little http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

But, after having my hair its natural color for years, I have bleached it.  I actually bleached it so I could dye it this pink color I used to have in high school, but I've decided to wait for a month or so one that.  This is my first time every having blonde hair.  I like it more than I thought I would but I'm curious about what other people think.  Please take a look at my portfolio to compare and let me know.  Do you  have any ideas for next hair color direction?  Do you think I made a mistake?  Do you like it?  Etc.

Thanks.

Jan 31 13 02:08 am Link

Model

Sullen Garbo Siren

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I like the blonde hair a lot, but I think it ages you a little? Your natural haircolor brings a brightness to your face the platinum blonde does not. You'd probably rock the pink hair something fierce, though.

Jan 31 13 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Charlene AM

Lima, Ohio, US

I agree that your darker locks match your skin tone a little better. However, the blonde color may look more appealing if you have a pro put some subtle low-lights in (if you decide to keep the blonde a little longer). I’d love to see how the pink turns out though. smile

Jan 31 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You should have stayed a brunette.

Jan 31 13 07:24 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree with the others, the dark hair looked much more natural........the blonde adds several years to your appearance. Going pink might make you look younger though, since that's something we usually associate with teenagers.

Jan 31 13 08:08 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Thanks everyone.  smile.

Maybe I like it because it makes me look more my age.  I'm tired of looking like a teenager.  But it's good to see that the responses are all pretty similar.

Jan 31 13 12:54 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

In some photos it looks like your blond could benefit from using a toner to remove some of the yellowing.

Don't redye it brown yet.

Jan 31 13 12:57 pm Link

Model

May Sinclair

Los Angeles, California, US

If you used some toner to get a more platinum or ashy shade of blonde, you'd look better. The cool tones match your face well.

I had pink hair for a year and it was fabulous. I say go for it!

Jan 31 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I actually was going for white, but this is as light as I could get it.  Toner has never worked in my hair.  hmm.  Do you know of any brands other than special effects or manic panic?

I think next I'll try the Platinum Blonde they have at beauty supply stores.  But not for three weeks or so do I want to bleach again.

Jan 31 13 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gpro

Salisbury, Maryland, US

I think the dark hair fits your style more not less you're going in a different direction.

Jan 31 13 01:11 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Austin, Texas, US

Agreeing with everyone about the toner. Personally, I can't really get a good grasp on what your hair looks like from the images since a lot of them have had the color changed fairly substantially. From what I can see though, it looks a little fried to me. Deep condition the crap out of it and then style it. I think right now I just like the brown more because it looks healthier than the blonde. I have the same problem with mine, so I feel your pain!

And yes, it does age you a bit, but like you said that's not necessarily a bad thing (feminist fist pump/hand heart/etc). smile

[edit] I also think it lends itself to more glamour-y photography, but maybe that's just me making a sexist stereotypical association with blondes?

Jan 31 13 01:23 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Gpro wrote:
I think the dark hair fits your style more not less you're going in a different direction.

I have had the same sort of style since I was 15.  I think it's hard for people to tell what my style is, as I model for different things.  My avatar is how I look every day, and it's pretty much the same as how I've always looked.  Except the hair.

Jan 31 13 10:44 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

T A Y L O R  wrote:
Agreeing with everyone about the toner. Personally, I can't really get a good grasp on what your hair looks like from the images since a lot of them have had the color changed fairly substantially. From what I can see though, it looks a little fried to me. Deep condition the crap out of it and then style it. I think right now I just like the brown more because it looks healthier than the blonde. I have the same problem with mine, so I feel your pain!

And yes, it does age you a bit, but like you said that's not necessarily a bad thing (feminist fist pump/hand heart/etc). smile

[edit] I also think it lends itself to more glamour-y photography, but maybe that's just me making a sexist stereotypical association with blondes?

Definitely fried.  I kinda love damaged hair.  But my hair was becoming curly for the first time ever before I bleached it.  hmm.  I do plan on deep conditioning.  I don't really do any kind of styling though.. Which I guess helps to keep the damage down?

And.... I'm not sure about the glamour thing.  It could also be that a lot of my blonde shots are from a glamour event.

Also.. There's a snapshot in my bio that I think shows my hair color well.  The photo may look like the color is weird in my eyes but it's because I have glare resistant lenses.

Jan 31 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

In general - I like it - brighter and more cheerful potential - The dark hair and the tattoos were sort of linked in my mind and projected a more ominous and serious tone.

This I like as a counterpoint.

Jan 31 13 11:17 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Definitely fried.  I kinda love damaged hair.  But my hair was becoming curly for the first time ever before I bleached it.  hmm.  I do plan on deep conditioning.  I don't really do any kind of styling though.. Which I guess helps to keep the damage down?

And.... I'm not sure about the glamour thing.  It could also be that a lot of my blonde shots are from a glamour event.

Also.. There's a snapshot in my bio that I think shows my hair color well.  The photo may look like the color is weird in my eyes but it's because I have glare resistant lenses.

get a bottle of this. it's absurdly cheap and works better than any fancy deep conditioner you'll find.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsRaDs9u8cQ_-J1raunSze62mfmkJbw8A6M4EM8aEbCESW16XcSA

Slap it on wet hair, wrap your head in saran wrap, watch a movie, make dinner, whatever just let it sit for at least half an hour ( I like to leave it longer) just make sure it doesn't dry while in your hair.

Feb 01 13 02:05 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Vintagevista wrote:
In general - I like it - brighter and more cheerful potential - The dark hair and the tattoos were sort of linked in my mind and projected a more ominous and serious tone.

This I like as a counterpoint.

Thanks!  Yeah, I have to admit that I am now having more fun.

Feb 01 13 01:01 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Nemi wrote:

get a bottle of this. it's absurdly cheap and works better than any fancy deep conditioner you'll find.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsRaDs9u8cQ_-J1raunSze62mfmkJbw8A6M4EM8aEbCESW16XcSA

Slap it on wet hair, wrap your head in saran wrap, watch a movie, make dinner, whatever just let it sit for at least half an hour ( I like to leave it longer) just make sure it doesn't dry while in your hair.

Thanks for the advice.  smile.

Feb 01 13 01:01 pm Link