Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > This no carbs/sugar thing sucks!

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Jacquie Bourget wrote:
Hope you're feeling better! It's such a pain to eliminate foods, but after awhile it starts to become routine. I've been gluten free for almost five months.

Oh believe me, it's still very tough. I made Kraft Dinner (The Canadian version of mac and cheese) for my boyfriend's munchkin cause she wouldn't eat what I made. And he had potatoes instead of squash...and later had dried ribs. It took a lot of will power not to take bites from those things, but I resisted smile

Feb 01 13 07:32 am Link

Model

Jacquelyn Marie

Boston, Massachusetts, US

DarcieK wrote:

Oh believe me, it's still very tough. I made Kraft Dinner (The Canadian version of mac and cheese) for my boyfriend's munchkin cause she wouldn't eat what I made. And he had potatoes instead of squash...and later had dried ribs. It took a lot of will power not to take bites from those things, but I resisted smile

Yea I definitely hear you on that!

Feb 01 13 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

DarcieK wrote:
The doctor told me to cut out fatty foods, and processed foods cause they will irritate my gallbladder.

Just had an ultrasound done on my gallbladder and am going through the same thing.  I've basically adjusted my diet as your friend is suggesting you do.

Small amounts of meat.  LOTS of veggies and am now adding back in some other carbs such as sweet potatoes. 

The key, for me at least and from what I gather from others, is to keep a journal.  Part of this process is understanding what foods will fuck up your gut (or in what quantities).  So you need to reduce the types of food you take in for a while and limit them to food that you know wont cause any problems.  Then, when all is groovy, you start adding foods back in keeping track of their effects.  You start with ones that should be safer and move more and more to the bad ones.  I have found, for example, that dairy really effects me - cheese in particular. 

One last thing.  I bought a really good juicer (Breville Ikon Juice Fountain) and have been LOVING it.  Ever since I started I haven't had any gut pain.

Feb 01 13 08:48 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Paramour Productions wrote:

Just had an ultrasound done on my and am going through the same thing.  I've basically adjusted my diet as your friend is suggesting you do.

Small amounts of meat.  LOTS of veggies and am now adding back in some other carbs such as sweet potatoes. 

The key, for me at least and from what I gather from others, is to keep a journal.  Part of this process is understanding what foods will fuck up your gut (or in what quantities).  So you need to reduce the types of food you take in for a while and limit them to food that you know wont cause any problems.  Then, when all is groovy, you start adding foods back in keeping track of their effects.  You start with ones that should be safer and move more and more to the bad ones.  I have found, for example, that dairy really effects me - cheese in particular. 

One last thing.  I bought a really good juicer (Breville Ikon Juice Fountain) and have been LOVING it.  Ever since I started I haven't had any gut pain.

I had a bit of an attack this morning, I had an egg white omlette with broccoli and mushrooms. I really hope it wasn't the eggs that did it because on the South Beach diet (which is what I'm on according to my trainer), that's about the only thing I can eat in the mornings, next to cottage cheese (barf) for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Feb 01 13 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

DarcieK wrote:

I had a bit of an attack this morning, I had an egg white omlette with broccoli and mushrooms. I really hope it wasn't the eggs that did it because on the South Beach diet (which is what I'm on according to my trainer), that's about the only thing I can eat in the mornings, next to cottage cheese (barf) for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

If you're trying to figure out what foods are having a bad effect on you, there is no way to do it other than severely limiting your diet until there is no pain and then adding in one food at a time and watching how your body reacts to it.  I would worry about that before I worried about dieting for training.  First figure out which foods are safe for you to eat.  Once that's established, then you and your trainer/nutritionist can figure out a diet that will work for you.

Feb 01 13 09:41 am Link

Model

DarcieK

So, I'm one week down in Phase 1 (one more week to go) and I am down 5.6 pounds (Yay!) and am getting used to eating like this. I still have some cravings for sweet things and pizza, but for the most part, I'm doing really well.

And I must say spaghetti squash is a delicious alternative to real pasta! Om nom nom.

Feb 05 13 11:19 am Link

Model

Koryn

DarcieK wrote:
And I must say spaghetti squash is a delicious alternative to real pasta! Om nom nom.

Buy a $30 spiralizer from amazon.com, and start spiralizing zucchini. It's closer in texture to spaghetti than the spaghetti squash is.

Also, if you crave asian-style noodles, look into "kelp noodles." They are made from seaweed and very much like thin rice noodles, when properly soaked and dressed.

Feb 05 13 11:54 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Koryn Locke wrote:

Buy a $30 spiralizer from amazon.com, and start spiralizing zucchini. It's closer in texture to spaghetti than the spaghetti squash is.

Also, if you crave asian-style noodles, look into "kelp noodles." They are made from seaweed and very much like thin rice noodles, when properly soaked and dressed.

Oh, awesome advice, thanks!

Also, can you use a spiralizer with egg plant?

Feb 05 13 12:19 pm Link

Model

Koryn

DarcieK wrote:

Oh, awesome advice, thanks!

Also, can you use a spiralizer with egg plant?

I've never tried using it with eggplant. The texture might be too spongy for it to work well, but it's worth a try.

Feb 05 13 12:45 pm Link