Forums > Critique > I have a commercial shoot Saturday.

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Edit: New photos posted below & in my portfolio.  smile

I need ideas for commercial characters that would work for me. 

I'm 27.
I get 2-3 looks, and I'm leaning towards 1 outdoorsy, 1 business/professional look, and 1...  I don't know, casual?

Wardrobe, prop, visual suggestions are more than welcome.  What colors to wear?  How to do my hair?

I just kind of blank out when it comes to this stuff, but I really need these kinds of shots.

Jan 31 13 01:29 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

Im confused why this wasn't discussed with the team when you booked the shoot.

Jan 31 13 01:40 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Cole Morrison wrote:
Im confused why this wasn't discussed with the team when you booked the shoot.

Hi Cole,

It's just me and the photographer for a test; she said to bring a few looks, so I'm trying to get some insight on what might be best for me.

Thanks.

Jan 31 13 01:43 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I cheated and ran through the list of commercial breakdowns on another casting site I belong to that mainly posts commercial lifestyle-ish jobs.

Lots of young/trendy mom...but that requires borrowing a rugrat big_smile

Sporty stuff that isn't too specifically fitness  (jogging through a park and the like)

Jan 31 13 01:44 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Paige Morgan wrote:
I cheated and ran through the list of commercial breakdowns on another casting site I belong to that mainly posts commercial lifestyle-ish jobs.

Lots of young/trendy mom...but that requires borrowing a rugrat big_smile

Sporty stuff that isn't too specifically fitness  (jogging through a park and the like)

Thanks - yeah, lifestyle is huge on "props" - haha, maybe she will let me borrow her kid. smile

Jan 31 13 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

Hmmm... Yes, you definitely look at least 77 years younger than stated in your profile smile

Anyhow. Well, you've got quite some casual already. Dunno what you want to target, but I can picture you just the opposite, with very sophisticated/trendy/unconventional outfits and accessories - not over the top to keep in line with commercial, though. Might also be an opportunity to test other llamaing styles. If you're at ease with the concept, it should give you wings (like in, you know, "sky's the limit", that kinda stuff)

Hope this helps... neutral

edit - Part of my job includes buying commercial pics. Believe me, if it's moms we look for, no problem, there's a wide panel to choose from. But when it comes to shots with that sparkle of originality we need to make a difference, well... Not the same story, at all.

Jan 31 13 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

More expressive head shots like this great shot.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/18/50ff4f6964f5f_m.jpg

That's the shot that will get you ad work and help get you a commercial.  And, as a previous poster said, mom shots.  You have a great look.

Jan 31 13 01:58 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Thanks, I was thinking of looks like this

https://i46.tinypic.com/11qig7n.jpg

https://i47.tinypic.com/eg1mr7.jpg

Yay?  Nay?

Jan 31 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

#1 more like it. Others are again casual/biz. Told you, we've got tons of this already...

Jan 31 13 02:40 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Tangent Pictures wrote:
#1 more like it. Others are again casual/biz. Told you, we've got tons of this already...

Tangent,  do you have any visual ideas for the concepts you think I should aim for?
We are in very different markets, I'm afraid, sparkle and originality isn't what's wanted or needed here... a large amount of it, I'm told, is "pretty, but not viable" - I need viable shots.  The shots above are from agency boards I'm applying to.

Jan 31 13 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

Very different market, well I'm not sure... My full time job involves making marketing and art direction choices everyday, mostly for financial and luxury products. What you see on MM is just my creative outlet, need this to keep eye and mind sharp/open smile

However, I'm talking of European markets and lifestyle, here. This may influence a lot what I say, sure a thing.

So. Yep, #1 you show is more like it, IMHO. I had in mind things like this:

https://www.eyeonmodel.com/Thumb/9536/modella-Milano_17.jpg

She's a model in Milano/Paris (Federica at Eye on Model), works for ads among other things. Many other examples in mind. This is not really fashion, would be rated casual++ here (Europe), but it shows diversity/creativity/flexibility in a model's port, I think. Just my opinion...

Feb 01 13 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Hi Emily

Did I miss where you stated what market you were aiming for? I read the thread - promise. smile

Anyhoo - when I look at you in your port, for commercial I see:

1. Secretary (on the phone/at the PC/answering the phone)
2. Business woman (in a board meeting/giving a presentation)
3. Business owner/Executive (on site wearing a hardhat/power dressing for a meeting/ working at her desk/on a train on a laptop)
4. Housewife (drinking coffee/reading the paper/doing the 'chores')
5. Fitness/at the gym (anything really - you'd be a great advert - possibly posing with a protein shake/energy drink/on a treadmill)
6. Lingerie

Hope this helps.

Feb 01 13 04:05 am Link

Model

angel emily

Thanks, thanks.  This all helps. smile

Drew - commercial, in the Boston area is my location.  Edit:  Just noticed my VIP thingy ran out so the Boston location disappeared from my profile.

It's really bland up here.

Feb 01 13 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

I agree with Drew Smith, but I would aim for 3 attitudes/emotions and then figure out how to present each one.  For instance, I would go for exuberance, which could be having caught a fish, cheering on at an event or at a sports bar, something that allows you to try a variety of fist pumping go team/or kid/or horse types of looks.  You could go from casual cheering to rabid and pick your choice.  I would go for satisfied/warm/loving and come up with something to facilitate that, kitten/baby/chocolate/maybe the coffee newspaper look Drew said, maybe the taste of a desert.  I would go with business but where you are projecting leadership, giving directions, encouraging, or scolding. You don't really need to have sets for these just attitude goals so you aren't just the same person wearing different clothes.

Feb 01 13 06:33 am Link

Model

Anna T

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

yes i would suggest a polished professional look with maybe a comfy cardigan, natural hair

Feb 01 13 06:42 am Link

Feb 01 13 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

Or maybe take a simple, pragmatic approach, like: "There are good pics I should keep in there, less so good or bad ones I should get rid of, let's organize things to replace the latter in a consistent way, yet retaining some degree of variety"

One I really don't like is https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/18/50ff4a5e92aac_m.jpg
On the left one, poses are... well... awkward (not yours), and you don't look really great in the right one (I put it nicely, aye?)

Now, I really like these, and others smile
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/16/50ff2d2176ac5_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130126/20/5104ae620f8af_m.jpg

Feb 01 13 07:13 am Link

Feb 01 13 07:16 am Link

Model

angel emily

Tangent Pictures wrote:
Or maybe take a simple, pragmatic approach, like: "There are good pics I should keep in there, less so good or bad ones I should get rid of, let's organize things to replace the latter in a consistent way, yet retaining some degree of variety"

One I really don't like is https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/18/50ff4a5e92aac_m.jpg
On the left one, poses are... well... awkward (not yours), and you don't look really great in the right one (I put it nicely, aye?)

Now, I really like these, and others smile
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/16/50ff2d2176ac5_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130126/20/5104ae620f8af_m.jpg

Thanks.

Truth is, only the headshot that was posted earlier is perhaps the only viable photo in my current MM portfolio (also, maybe the wedding catalog shoot one).  The rest are nice photos, just not good for agency.

Feb 01 13 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

Emily, what did you end up shooting on Saturday?  Pics?

Feb 03 13 12:18 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Fleming Design wrote:
Emily, what did you end up shooting on Saturday?  Pics?

Pics will be coming soon (this week), she said she got over 300 frames and liked most all of them.

We shot some outdoor stuff downtown, casual friendly "girl next door in a sweater" catalog-type looks... then at her studio, some head shots and fun, laughing photos on her set couches, and in a black more formal dress.

I know we got some great stuff so I can't wait to share. smile Of course, I'm looking to add other looks soon....

Feb 03 13 12:50 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Wow, I just checked my e-mail and she was so excited she sent me a few she loved right out of camera --  I picked my favorites below!

https://i48.tinypic.com/f1crbl.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/2rm8c38.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/105quqv.jpg

Feb 03 13 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Middle shot of the ones you posted is great...straight out of a Land End catalog.

I'd say grab some catalogs and look through poses, situations and pick a few you like next time.

Feb 03 13 04:20 pm Link

Model

angel emily

SKITA Studios wrote:
Middle shot of the ones you posted is great...straight out of a Land End catalog.

I'd say grab some catalogs and look through poses, situations and pick a few you like next time.

Oh thank you!
My agency really loved the first, too!

Feb 03 13 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Yeah these are real nice ! I was hoping you would post...

Feb 03 13 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

Yay! Really glad to see you did a nice job together. Congrats to both of you. I think the first two are very good, they'd work well for mid to high-range stuff. Sorry but I think #3 doesn't work, I still believe this is not your style.

My fave is #2 - seems I'm not the only one smile. Great smile, nice pose, and the right touch of fantasy/fanciness, casual+ with the scarf and hat. This is what I wanted to suggest, sorry if I didn't explain it very well... I believe you really fit in that style, way beyond budget stock biz/casual stuff.

edit - oh, just saw very nice additions to your port... You're awesome in that red dress!

Feb 04 13 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

e m i l y wrote:
Edit: New photos posted below & in my portfolio.  smile

I need ideas for commercial characters that would work for me. 

I'm 27.
I get 2-3 looks, and I'm leaning towards 1 outdoorsy, 1 business/professional look, and 1...  I don't know, casual?

Wardrobe, prop, visual suggestions are more than welcome.  What colors to wear?  How to do my hair?

I just kind of blank out when it comes to this stuff, but I really need these kinds of shots.

If you’re doing a test for a specific client, product, ad campaign, etc., you should have been told what you’re testing for. That way you could gear everything to that look.

If there is no specific client, or you don’t know who the client is, the photographer’s portfolio should give you some clues as to what types of work he/she does and possibly who his clients are.

If you have no clue what the test is ultimately for, then a mix of looks. Outdoorsy and business/professional are probably good. For the third look, casual or club wear would be as good as anything.

As far as colors, since presumably you’re using wardrobe from your closet, I’d go with current styles and go with the best looks you can style from what’s in your closet – as long as there is variety.

Your hair needs to go with outdoorsy, business/professional and whatever your third look is. So I’d suggest something like this:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130122/18/50ff4f6964f5f_m.jpg

Props… For outdoorsy, maybe sunglasses, running or walking shoes,  whatever you’d use for a purse (or in lieu of one) outdoors, maybe an iPod, maybe with headphones…. For business/professional, there’s glasses, a briefcase, laptop or iPad, legal pad in a leather (or leather-looking vinyl holder), a nice pen (got a Montblanc or something like it?), a cellphone…

Good luck!

Feb 04 13 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Not a fan of #1 - your hair is a little 'too' untidy for me and it needed a prop; it's looking a little too much like a good 'snapshot'.

I really like #2 - that style really suits you.  smile

And #3 is kinda .. meh.

Feb 04 13 02:29 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The middle one with the hat is really good!

Feb 04 13 05:36 am Link

Model

angel emily

Tangent Pictures wrote:
Yay! Really glad to see you did a nice job together. Congrats to both of you. I think the first two are very good, they'd work well for mid to high-range stuff. Sorry but I think #3 doesn't work, I still believe this is not your style.

My fave is #2 - seems I'm not the only one smile. Great smile, nice pose, and the right touch of fantasy/fanciness, casual+ with the scarf and hat. This is what I wanted to suggest, sorry if I didn't explain it very well... I believe you really fit in that style, way beyond budget stock biz/casual stuff.

Thanks - do you think I don't suit the business/professional look at all, or are you saying I need to do it a different way? 

I'd like to be versatile, because I think as a commercial model I need to be able to do a few characters.  I'm told often I need these kind of shots, so it's interesting to know.  Others have said I'd be good for business/fitness looks so it's always good to hear what others think.  I have another shoot lined up soon where I'm going for a real business look.

Feb 04 13 06:26 am Link

Model

angel emily

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
Not a fan of #1 - your hair is a little 'too' untidy for me and it needed a prop; it's looking a little too much like a good 'snapshot'.

I really like #2 - that style really suits you.  smile

And #3 is kinda .. meh.

Thanks!

My fave is the hat one, too - my agency really loved the first (it was the agent's favorite) --  I think sometimes clients just need a simple picture. smile

Feb 04 13 06:27 am Link

Model

angel emily

Camerosity wrote:
Good luck!

Hi, we ended up shooting and I posted the pictures in this thread.  smile  Thanks, though.

I might be headed out your way in about 12 weeks.

Feb 04 13 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Damn it.....

Feb 04 13 06:44 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

e m i l y wrote:
Wow, I just checked my e-mail and she was so excited she sent me a few she loved right out of camera --  I picked my favorites below!

https://i48.tinypic.com/f1crbl.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/2rm8c38.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/105quqv.jpg

The first one is certainly the look you were after, the second may be a bit too much "you"  .  .  .  sounds like you had a great shoot, with great results, congrats  .  .  .  we'll be looking for you in a catalog very soon  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Feb 04 13 06:45 am Link

Model

angel emily

Small Fruit Pits wrote:
Damn it.....

????

Feb 04 13 06:48 am Link

Model

angel emily

sospix wrote:
The first one is certainly the look you were after, the second may be a bit too much "you"  .  .  .  sounds like you had a great shoot, with great results, congrats  .  .  .  we'll be looking for you in a catalog very soon  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Thanks for the feedback! smile

Feb 04 13 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

I am sure you will get good use out of either of the first two.  I do hope that you got shots with different expressions tho. The third needed some interacting, something with more energy.

Feb 04 13 06:53 am Link

Model

angel emily

Fleming Design wrote:
I am sure you will get good use out of either of the first two.  I do hope that you got shots with different expressions tho. The third needed some interacting, something with more energy.

Thank you!

Feb 04 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

e m i l y wrote:
Hi, we ended up shooting and I posted the pictures in this thread.  smile  Thanks, though.

I might be headed out your way in about 12 weeks.

You nailed both looks!

You have a terrific look, very versatile, and I've admired your work since I first saw your portfolio, not long after I created my MM account. I love nice surprises like this. I'll PM you. smile

Feb 04 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tangent Pictures

e m i l y wrote:
Thanks - do you think I don't suit the business/professional look at all, or are you saying I need to do it a different way? 

I'd like to be versatile, because I think as a commercial model I need to be able to do a few characters.  I'm told often I need these kind of shots, so it's interesting to know.  Others have said I'd be good for business/fitness looks so it's always good to hear what others think.  I have another shoot lined up soon where I'm going for a real business look.

Oh I understand about versatility, sure.

#3... Well I just don't get it. It's very formal/flat, to me, not particularly business/pro (but for funeral stores, then I'm not sure about the smile... ooops sorry, I won't do that again). I guess you can play the biz/pro look, almost sure, why not? But maybe you need to adapt it to your own style. For example - getting back to that very nice red dress picture - there you have a very different hairdo that might suit the pro look. And about expressions : in the three pics here, you have the same smile. Now, in the red dress image, you've not a third of it, and it's just irresistible smile This also might work for some pro looks.

Back to #3, I'm wondering. What if you'd been wearing nice, chic jewelry, cleaner hairdo, smiling less or not at all, with a slightly more sensual pose but a feel of inner energy, and with more intimate lighting (just a hint of background or none), etc. Could have been very different; I guess it would have worked.

Fitness: IMHO, yes you've got the body for this, energize and go! The image in your port is not good, I think (last time I saw it). A nice pic with near-flashy tones, trendy outfit, energetic pose would make the cut, I guess. No understating yourself smile

Feb 04 13 02:57 pm Link