Forums > Photography Talk > Canon Pancake To Sony Nex-6 Via Speed Booster

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6285

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

...in between connections:

http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/files/articles/2667195592/nex6adapter.jpg?v=1934

.

Jan 31 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Posts: 2042

Los Angeles, California, US

It is supposed to work very well.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879

Jan 31 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Posts: 2621

Glens Falls, New York, US

This is a great product, that I feel they're marketing the wrong way.  If even the producing company says the AF is terrible, then why are they starting off by pushing it for AF lenses?  As good as the AF Canon lenses are, the fact remains that by design, AF lenses have lighter and more poorly damped focusing rings than even mediocre old MF lenses - because otherwise the AF motors would have trouble operating them.  Plus you got all those AF contacts in there anyway, and that certainly adds to the price.

Since it's a niche product anyway, why not pick a better niche?  It might not be easy to get people to spend $600 to make Canon lenses mostly work on an NEX, but I'll bet that you could get a lot of people to spend $300-$400 to make OM or M42 lenses work on an NEX.  I'm thinking that the Leica R adapter is the only one they make right now that makes any sense.

I might be willing to pay $400 to make my M42 Schneiders wider and brighter on my NEX.  I'm not going to pay $600 so that I can manually focus a lens that was designed not to be manually focused.

Jan 31 13 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Posts: 2042

Los Angeles, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
This is a great product, that I feel they're marketing the wrong way.  If even the producing company says the AF is terrible, then why are they starting off by pushing it for AF lenses?  As good as the AF Canon lenses are, the fact remains that by design, AF lenses have lighter and more poorly damped focusing rings than even mediocre old MF lenses - because otherwise the AF motors would have trouble operating them.  Plus you got all those AF contacts in there anyway, and that certainly adds to the price.

Since it's a niche product anyway, why not pick a better niche?  It might not be easy to get people to spend $600 to make Canon lenses mostly work on an NEX, but I'll bet that you could get a lot of people to spend $300-$400 to make OM or M42 lenses work on an NEX.  I'm thinking that the Leica R adapter is the only one they make right now that makes any sense.

I might be willing to pay $400 to make my M42 Schneiders wider and brighter on my NEX.  I'm not going to pay $600 so that I can manually focus a lens that was designed not to be manually focused.

There are converters for $40-50 that will convert any lens to a Nex camera. Metabones has 2 types of adapters for Canon lenses, one for $400 that allows the use of Canons autofocus, aperture control and IS through the Nex camera at 1.5 crop. The Adapter that is the subject of this thread and costs $600 gives you an extra stop of light beyond what the lens is rated at and the appearance of the lens being on a full frame camera, no magnification, full frame.

"I might be willing to pay $400 to make my M42 Schneiders wider and brighter on my NEX." Its a shame you are not willing to pay $600 to do the above because that is exactly what it does

Jan 31 13 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Posts: 2042

Los Angeles, California, US

Jan 31 13 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Posts: 2621

Glens Falls, New York, US

Yeah, I read the link, and I already have the cheaper adapters for my M42 lenses.  Maybe I explained myself poorly.

They already make a product that costs two-thirds the price and allows for better AF.  This one costs more ... and while the adapted Canon lenses work better in some ways, they work worse in others.  Most notably, you're trying to manually focus a now wider-aperture lens that is built using a design that requires the MF ring to work worse.  I don't want to pay money for that.  By necessity of AF lens design, this adapter is going to make focusing harder, focus peaking or not.  The same is true when adapting Nikon or Minolta AF lenses.

Contrast that with the Leica R adapter, which has no such problems.  Those lenses focus very well manually, and they will continue to do so.  Using this adapter with those lenses, or any MF lens, is all benefit, with essentially no drawback.

I'm sure the Alpa adapter works great too.  But if you've got a bunch of Alpa gear sitting around, I don't think you're the "try to eke out more performance from an inexpensive camera" kind of person.  Leica owners will cringe at some of those price tags.

That's why I say that the Leica R adapter is the only one that makes any sense.

Jan 31 13 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Posts: 17359

Billings, Montana, US

What I want to know, whats the final focal length for that setup?

20mm + 1.5crop + adapter

Feb 01 13 10:47 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Posts: 3077

Los Angeles, California, US

Smedley Whiplash wrote:
What I want to know, whats the final focal length for that setup?

20mm + 1.5crop + adapter

40mm + 1.5crop + adapter ~ 43mm

Feb 01 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Posts: 17359

Billings, Montana, US

cy be rea n wrote:
40mm + 1.5crop + adapter ~ 43mm

heh heh, don't you mean 63mm ?


I was thinking if he just bought the 30mm 1.8 Sony lens it would be cheaper and easier.

Feb 01 13 11:57 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Posts: 3077

Los Angeles, California, US

cy be rea n wrote:
40mm + 1.5crop + adapter ~ 43mm

Smedley Whiplash wrote:
heh heh, don't you mean 63mm ?


I was thinking if he just bought the 30mm 1.8 Sony lens it would be cheaper and easier.

nope... i wrote what i meant

Feb 01 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Posts: 2621

Glens Falls, New York, US

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

heh heh, don't you mean 63mm ?


I was thinking if he just bought the 30mm 1.8 Sony lens it would be cheaper and easier.

Or for about $70 more than the cost of the speed booster itself, you can buy a brand new Voigtlander 28 f/2 or 35 f/1.4 with THAT adapter. Buy used Minolta or other older versions, and you can have them BOTH for the price. You could buy a 50 f/1.2 used for that too, and almost have enough for one of the other legacy lenses.

Shoot, you could buy a LEICA 40mm f/2 for that. Would anyone here rather take pictures manually focusing a plastic Canon lens for the same price as a Voigtlander or Leica?

Until they can make a version that actually auto focuses correctly, the only benefit to buying the speed booster for AF lenses would be mounting giant lenses like the 70-200 or the 300 f/2.8. In which case it's not compact anyway, so why bother with the NEX at all? Cheaper, better alternatives already exist for smaller lenses.

Feb 02 13 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Posts: 2042

Los Angeles, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Or for about $70 more than the cost of the speed booster itself, you can buy a brand new Voigtlander 28 f/2 or 35 f/1.4 with THAT adapter. Buy used Minolta or other older versions, and you can have them BOTH for the price. You could buy a 50 f/1.2 used for that too, and almost have enough for one of the other legacy lenses.

Shoot, you could buy a LEICA 40mm f/2 for that. Would anyone here rather take pictures manually focusing a plastic Canon lens for the same price as a Voigtlander or Leica?

Until they can make a version that actually auto focuses correctly, the only benefit to buying the speed booster for AF lenses would be mounting giant lenses like the 70-200 or the 300 f/2.8. In which case it's not compact anyway, so why bother with the NEX at all? Cheaper, better alternatives already exist for smaller lenses.

The adapter will allow you to mount any Canon EOS lens to the NEX, 85 1.2, 135 2, 50 1.2, 100 mm macro all come to mind, also you can mout any lens that will mount to a Canon EOS mount through an adapter. So you might be able to buy the Leica lens and a mount for the NEX but you still can't mount your EOS lenses.

Oh and the adapter will also increase the max aperture of the lens one stop and reduce the length of the lens, 85 .9 comes to mind on a 1.5 crop.

Feb 02 13 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Posts: 2621

Glens Falls, New York, US

Well, if you've got a bunch of $1,000-$2,000 lenses, then it's a safe bet that you have a full-frame camera already.

That means that if you buy the speedbooster, for $600 you get an extra stop of light.  At the expense of:  worse dynamic range from the APS-C camera, worse ISO performance, increased vignetting - and the lenses you listed already vignette - increased CA, now-terrible AF, merely acceptable MF, very front-heavy balance, and a camera form factor that, between lens and adapter, is barely smaller than the FF camera would have been.  Shorter and lighter, but no thinner.

Sounds like an excellent trade-off to me.  I'd love to invest in a $2,000 prime lens of superb optical quality so that I could immediately adapt it to a system that will reduce the lens quality.

Of course, none of that changes my initial point, which is that they are marketing it all wrong.  Look at the lens they show with it.  Their promotional materials don't show it with an 85 f/1.2.  They show it with that 40.  And there is absolutely no reason why anyone would need to adapt that lens to an NEX, except 'because they can.'  It's a fantastic lens for the money, but it's a fantastic lens that doesn't need adapting, as cheaper, better alternatives are available from pretty much every OEM manufacturer.

Feb 03 13 07:52 am Link