Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Does anyone here still regularly use eBay to buy or sell (especially sell)?  Do you use the site as much as you once did, or is it only occasionally now?

I tend to buy things from time to time but not nearly as much as I used to do.  After a 5-6 year hiatus from selling (I used to be a powerseller), I recently listed some things that I had laying around.

All or most of the items started at 99 cents (it's cheaper to list them that way and it encourages bidding since it's so "cheap" ... at least that's the way it used to be).  Out of 55 items, only 2 sold and both of them sold at 99 cents.  sad

I'm back to buying on occasion.

Feb 01 13 07:38 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Hickory, North Carolina, US

I used to be a very regular shopper, but now I log in very rarely. Not sure why really, maybe it's the economy, shifts in interests, or whatever. I'm a regular shopper on Amazon now and get everything I want there.

Feb 01 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
I used to be a very regular shopper, but now I log in very rarely. Not sure why really, maybe it's the economy, shifts in interests, or whatever. I'm a regular shopper on Amazon now and get everything I want there.

At your "suggestion", I went looking on Amazon ... I'm in the market for printer ink.  I'm halfway afraid to buy 3rd party and/or remanufactured ink cartridges so I was looking at the new and genuine ones.  It's cheaper for me to go to my local Best Buy or Staples to buy this stuff than it is on Amazon in some cases.  Some of these clowns are asking $18 and some change.  It's only $14 and some change in a store.

It's true that buying on Amazon means I don't have to buy gasoline, but I'd get it today, don't have to worry about not arriving or being damaged in transit and if there is a problem, I can take it back (vs send it back and hope they'll refund my money or replace the unit).

I'll try Amazon for other things as the need arises, though.

Feb 01 13 08:09 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Ebay and Amazon and similar sites have revolutionized shopping for those of us in rural area. We can not get things that we couldn't easily get. Okay, your local Staples might be cheaper, but I don't have a local Staples.

Where I buy depends on what I want. Ebay and Amazon are my first choices for general merchandise and most car parts. Although, you have to take into account the transit time, so there aren't many impulse buys.

That reminds me, I need to go find a rebuild kit for the carbs on one of my motorcycles. I want to do that over the winter.

Feb 01 13 08:15 am Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Does anyone here still regularly use eBay to buy or sell (especially sell)?  Do you use the site as much as you once did, or is it only occasionally now?

I tend to buy things from time to time but not nearly as much as I used to do.  After a 5-6 year hiatus from selling (I used to be a powerseller), I recently listed some things that I had laying around.

All or most of the items started at 99 cents (it's cheaper to list them that way and it encourages bidding since it's so "cheap" ... at least that's the way it used to be).  Out of 55 items, only 2 sold and both of them sold at 99 cents.  sad

I'm back to buying on occasion.

I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this!
I basically just sell things. If I'm really in need of a few extra dollars, I'll use my 50 free listings for the month and  if I want to try to relist anything that hasn't sold then, I'll wait until they have the monthly 50,000 free auction style listings.
At this point I have learned to list at the ABSOLUTE LOWEST price that I would accept for my item/s because it seems everyone has gotten extremely cheap lately. Even at the GREAT (not exagerating) prices that I list them for, the most amount to bid on them are usually 2/3 people if I'm lucky. Also, you want to charge low enough shipping that it's still attractive to the buyer and high enough that you're not coming out of pocket. Also, I've been getting many more people that end up stiffing me.
It's just more of a hassle now than anything. Like I mentioned, I resort to it when I REALLY need the extra cash.

Feb 01 13 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Just curious if anyone has had success selling prints on ebay/similar sites. If so, what worked for you?

Feb 01 13 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

ashara wrote:
I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this!
I basically just sell things. If I'm really in need of a few extra dollars, I'll use my 50 free listings for the month and  if I want to try to relist anything that hasn't sold then, I'll wait until they have the monthly 50,000 free auction style listings.
At this point I have learned to list at the ABSOLUTE LOWEST price that I would accept for my item/s because it seems everyone has gotten extremely cheap lately. Even at the GREAT (not exagerating) prices that I list them for, the most amount to bid on them are usually 2/3 people if I'm lucky. Also, you want to charge low enough shipping that it's still attractive to the buyer and high enough that you're not coming out of pocket. Also, I've been getting many more people that end up stiffing me.
It's just more of a hassle now than anything. Like I mentioned, I resort to it when I REALLY need the extra cash.

This is what boggled my mind more than anything else:  eBay now charges a fee for shipping.  In other words, I set the shipping price at $3.99.  They added a fee of $.36 (almost 10%) for "final value fee on shipping".  I understand that there were a lot of people listing items for really cheap prices and $1,000 for shipping (knowing the item was worth the $1,000 and it was only going to be $4 or so to ship ... this way they didn't have to pay eBay all of their "fees") ... but in selling an item for $.99 and $3.99 for shipping, I ended up with $.27!

I understand there are fees involved and I didn't expect to come away with the entire 99 cents ... but if all 55 of my items sold and I ended up with 50 cents for each one, I'd say I got what I expected.  If some of them went over the 99 cents, that would've been even better.  It didn't, though.

ETA:  Because only 2 items sold at, in effect, $.27, all the work I did for 54 cents is so not worth the effort.

Feb 01 13 09:03 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I used to be an Ebay maniac, I got burned pretty bad a few times and then lost my income, so not as much anymore.

Feb 01 13 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Hayward, California, US

I used to use it more often.  I'm more a buyer now. 

As a seller, the fees I end up paying have gone way up in the last few years (like around 25%, total) so it becomes less attractive to use.

Feb 01 13 10:40 am Link