Forums > Critique > Critique of a Model Video

Photographer

MJRvisuals llc

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

I recently shot two Eye Candy Videos and I wanted to know thoughts on the style, music, etc.  Please be aware there is slight nudity but I'm curious on the overall "feel" from a professional artistic stand point and not the general publics as we can be more pointy in finding things wrong...

https://vimeo.com/58260509

https://vimeo.com/55162286

Feb 01 13 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Logan

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I personally don't find either one overly appealing. The second, with Stephy, is better than the first one. Neither keeps my interest for very long though... about twenty seconds total is all it takes for me to get the idea of the remainder of the content.

I feel the overly jumpy editing style of the first video is a bit cliched and while it can be done appropriately its definitely overused in this example. If you are going to use it do it sparingly, with purpose and make sure it actually cuts to the music.

The lighting in both is kinda flat, the edits are slow, and the models have deer in the headlight expressions throughout most. I applaud your effort, though, for getting into a little video. Personally I like when these kinds of videos have a little bit of a story line to them to keep the viewer entertained - If that's not there you better be technically sound at shooting and editing to keep someones interest.

Finally, being a motion graphics artist myself, I find your intro/outro graphic to be a little heavy handed and cheesy. Sorry.

Feb 01 13 10:24 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

jumpy
blurry
noisy
distracting
NOT even remotely sexy
soft focus
pleh!

Feb 01 13 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I'll agree with pretty much everything said above.

The first gave me a seizure and many of the cuts didn't go with the music and there were some music changes where a cut should have been, but no cut.

The second was just SO slow that I jumped around hoping there would be something else.

But I feel your pain.  I've done a few videos and the more time that passes, the more I realize how terrible they are.  Invest in SOME way to hand hold but keep things smooth.  DSLRs aren't like camcorders.  They're harder to keep steady.  I'm not saying give up, but I am saying watch these a year from now and try to get through it all the way.

Oh, and your opening credit punches me in the face... completely unnecessary.

And last thing... less is more.  Unless you've got an actual story to tell, 45 seconds is more than enough time to show off the model.

Feb 01 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Logan

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I'll agree with pretty much everything said above.

The first gave me a seizure and many of the cuts didn't go with the music and there were some music changes where a cut should have been, but no cut.

The second was just SO slow that I jumped around hoping there would be something else.

But I feel your pain.  I've done a few videos and the more time that passes, the more I realize how terrible they are.  Invest in SOME way to hand hold but keep things smooth.  DSLRs aren't like camcorders.  They're harder to keep steady.  I'm not saying give up, but I am saying watch these a year from now and try to get through it all the way.

Oh, and your opening credit punches me in the face... completely unnecessary.

And last thing... less is more.  Unless you've got an actual story to tell, 45 seconds is more than enough time to show off the model.

If you want something that's actually useful and affordable try this:

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/s … upport.htm

I've shot with rigs from Zacuto, Monfrotto and Cinevate that cost as much as $2000 and that little $28 mount is one of the most comfortable and useable rigs I've held (as long as your are sticking with a standard DSLR body and lens, not trying to mount a follow focus, matte box, etc.)

Feb 01 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Timothy Logan wrote:
If you want something that's actually useful and affordable try this:

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/s … upport.htm

I've shot with rigs from Zacuto, Monfrotto and Cinevate that cost as much as $2000 and that little $28 mount is one of the most comfortable and useable rigs I've held (as long as your are sticking with a standard DSLR body and lens, not trying to mount a follow focus, matte box, etc.)

I've actually made my own for $10 and it works very well if I'm standing still or just panning/tilting with my body.  When I'm walking, I use my tripod with legs out for counterbalance and the rear one parallel to the ground for control.  It works amazingly well, and gives me a great shoulder workout at the same time!

WHOA!  I just saw the product.  That's not bad at all for the price, and definitely looks nicer than my electrical conduit creation.

Feb 01 13 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Logan

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

I've actually made my own for $10 and it works very well if I'm standing still or just panning/tilting with my body.  When I'm walking, I use my tripod with legs out for counterbalance and the rear one parallel to the ground for control.  It works amazingly well, and gives me a great shoulder workout at the same time!

WHOA!  I just saw the product.  That's not bad at all for the price, and definitely looks nicer than my electrical conduit creation.

Pull the straps off of it (they're useless) and you have a nice little rig that's well work your $30.

Feb 01 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

MJRvisuals llc

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

yes your right I shoot with 2 DSLR and I have tigs, tripods, steadicam etc.  I was thinking that the handheld would give it a "rawer" look and not so "produced".  I will have to look into the cuts and make sure to use less or be more on cue.....maybe a relook........ I don't do these very often but I enjoy it when I have the chance to try something different....

what about the color grading?

Feb 01 13 11:24 am Link

Photographer

David J Martin

El Paso, Texas, US

I agree with the first couple of posts.  I lost interest after about 20 seconds.  I'm sorry I can't put into words why, I do stills, not motion photography. 

Thanks for being brave enough to open yourself to critique, I'm learning by this thread.

Feb 01 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

MJRvisuals llc

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

I believe that if your not willing for criticism then  you will never grow.  I believe I do good work as do my clients but if your not shown what you did wrong then how can you get better?  I want to learn everyday and the professionals on this site can show me what I missed and in turn make me better....... everyday has to be a learning experience.

Feb 01 13 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Logan

Cleveland, Ohio, US

MJR LLC wrote:
yes your right I shoot with 2 DSLR and I have tigs, tripods, steadicam etc.  I was thinking that the handheld would give it a "rawer" look and not so "produced".  I will have to look into the cuts and make sure to use less or be more on cue.....maybe a relook........ I don't do these very often but I enjoy it when I have the chance to try something different....

what about the color grading?

Eh. Color grading is more difficult to do properly than shooting and editing in my honest opinion. Your colors look out of whack, not stylized. Things are overly saturated towards the reds and something funny is going on with the levels that makes things look like they are being run through a solarization filter. You kind of have those poppy blow highlights and muddy shadows - partially the lighting and partially the color grading.

I generally think when it comes to color less is more. Unless you are going for a specific style and it's done well, keep it natural or monochrome. Also... are you using some kind of animated fractal texture over some of the shots with a blending mode? I see it mostly in video 1 where she's laying on the white box... a pulsing over the video - evident in the background shadows and frames vignette more than anything. If so, knock it off smile

Feb 01 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

video is an increasingly important part of the game, any game.

With that said, even with dslr's doing a great job of shooting video, the instant you start shooting video you change discipline.

If you do NOT have a story board you will end up with the kind of disjointed videos you have.

Additionally you do not have the rights to that music, That means that if your video was great and got traction, you'd be sued and have to start from scratch.

You need to plan a video to tell a story not just some stray shots of girls pretending to be sexy, music is an important component to that end.  There are a LOT of free to use tracks by bands who want the exposure and will allow you to use their music under creative license, start there.

Finally, color balance is an art form.  learn it.

Feb 01 13 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

MJRvisuals llc

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

yes I used a color grading factorial over video 1...but not video two just basic color correction..with saturation and temp manipulation..

Feb 01 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

your question brings up another point too.  I saw a lot of folks in other posts belittle light meters.  When you shoot video and want to keep disconnected scenes from looking that way, a light meter makes it easy to duplicate tonal ranges from scene to scene that should be similar if not identical.  Then global color effects will actually look native to the shoot.

as an aside.

Premier pro with After fx is the way to go for many.  Final cut has let a lot of users down and Adobe has gained in market share.  The combination with the Quadro video cards is unbeatable.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/workstation-solutions.html

Feb 01 13 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

37photog

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Personally I think the intro is pretty decent, looks like After effects or something.  Well done imho.  That said, not a big fan of the vids.  1st one I agree cheesy cuts/80s MTV style effects. 2nd one nice use of Depth of Field, but the video is basically a pretty girl mixed in with blatant copyright infringement by using pop music like that. That screams "Novice" to anyone in the video field.

Feb 01 13 01:04 pm Link