Forums > Model Colloquy > Plus Size Models

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Every so often I search for casting calls specifically directed at plus size models...here's what I've found

1. Most are in either CA, TX or NY
2. The ones in other regions are one of two things:
        a. Eyecandy stuff, or online publications of questionable content
        b. Doing strange things around the "fat" premise.

I saw one casting call that would require the models to rub food on their bellies.

I get the whole fetish thing, different strokes for different folks. I just feel like there isn't enough work outside of the above mentioned for models that don't want to have all booty shots or rub food on themselves. Anyone else see this trend? Does it bug you at all?

Feb 01 13 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Bug me? no. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. Have lots of pretty pictures like all the 'skinny' girls or make bank doing things that just don't turn you on as much. It's all up to you.

Feb 01 13 10:51 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jojo West wrote:
I just feel like there isn't enough work outside of the above mentioned for models that don't want to have all booty shots or rub food on themselves. Anyone else see this trend? Does it bug you at all?

Are you looking for the castings here?

Yeah, they're pretty much all for "art", "glamour" or "fetish".

Sorry.  sad   What were you hoping to do?

I find other stuff off of MM.  But you have to look, and network, or be with an agency - or sometimes (and this has happened to me) just be in the right place at the right time.

Feb 01 13 10:56 am Link

Model

JWest

Marc Damon wrote:
Bug me? no. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. Have lots of pretty pictures like all the 'skinny' girls or make bank doing things that just don't turn you on as much. It's all up to you.

Oh people are in it for the money? Call me crazy, but I model because I enjoy it, so yeah sorry, I won't do things I don't like just because it's good money. Plus seeing as you're a photographer and not a model, I wouldn't expect you to see where I'm coming from smile

Feb 01 13 11:56 am Link

Model

JWest

e m i l y wrote:

Are you looking for the castings here?

Yeah, they're pretty much all for "art", "glamour" or "fetish".

Sorry.  sad   What were you hoping to do?

I find other stuff off of MM.  But you have to look, and network, or be with an agency - or sometimes (and this has happened to me) just be in the right place at the right time.

Oh I find other things on MM. I was referring to casting calls specifically directed at "plus size" models, those are the types of shoots that seem most prominent (at least in my area, lol). It was more of a conversation topic.

Feb 01 13 12:00 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Where I am from in central MA there wasn't even much for anyone but straight or fit size. On on Craigslist when you search Plus Size they ask for women with a small waists and big hips in NYC, too including specific measurements. Yes, they do have a ton more for work in Plus Size here and the other cities you mentioned, and it does seem limited anywhere else.

I have done some pretty strange work with the "fat" thing, but it wasn't erotic type, just art. Some I have been painted or drawn nude, which even some people might find strange. They specifically wanted an obese, or very voluptuous female. Even though I am not a Plus Size model I still find castings looking for my size with this title. Also, it doesn't bug me per say, because when I have done this I have networked with other photographers, designers, etc... because some are in the "know".

Feb 06 13 04:03 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I think there can be found work in the art-nude section, like modeling for a painting or a drawing or photography. But you would have to be comfortably showing rolls and stuff, since that is what sets you apart from the "thinner" models, and that is what makes it interesting.

I also think, if you are good enough, you can always try to apply to casting calls for paid work that don't specifically mention size. You'd be surprised how many photographers are willing to "overlook" you're a plus model if you're good enough and fit the part.

Feb 07 13 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

OP what is it that you WANT  to do?

Marc Damon wrote:

This is a great way of putting it.

Feb 07 13 05:58 am Link

Model

JWest

Anna Adrielle wrote:
I also think, if you are good enough, you can always try to apply to casting calls for paid work that don't specifically mention size. You'd be surprised how many photographers are willing to "overlook" you're a plus model if you're good enough and fit the part.

You're right about this. Most of my shoots are from casting calls that don't mention size. I think overall though there are still some very deep rooted feelings about models only being able to be sizes 0-6. I've had conversations recently with some folks and they're shocked that women above a size six can be successful in the modeling industry.

Feb 07 13 06:29 am Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

I once had a man ask to film me shitting on the floor for $300.  I said you're outta your effin mind.

Feb 07 13 07:34 am Link

Model

JWest

Alivia Autumn wrote:
I once had a man ask to film me shitting on the floor for $300.  I said you're outta your effin mind.

LMAO!!! Ok, I've finally managed to spit coffee onto my keyboard!

Feb 07 13 07:41 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Jojo West wrote:
You're right about this. Most of my shoots are from casting calls that don't mention size. I think overall though there are still some very deep rooted feelings about models only being able to be sizes 0-6. I've had conversations recently with some folks and they're shocked that women above a size six can be successful in the modeling industry.

I'm above a size 6, and also short(5'7"). I'm no supermodel, but I've been lucky to be steadily busy for quite a while.

If the casting doesn't specify sizing or you are just SLIGHTLY (emphasis on slightly, within an inch or measurement wise, an inch off on height) off requirements....send a polite message and ask what is required, or if they will accept the small difference.

(Always indicate you've read the casting, and aware that you are a bit off listed stats, just so they don't think you can't follow directions)

Yes, some folks will ignore you.

However, some folks will let you know you are perfectly welcome. In rare cases, they might like your look enough to make an exception to the listed stats.

Feb 07 13 11:52 am Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Even being in the forum helps. I have a couple of shoots that I have networked with people on here. Going to LA to shoot with someone this summer too! I am super excited about it!

Feb 07 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jojo West wrote:

Not sure what models are getting real work at that size range, it's 0-2 or 12+ in any major market.  I would guess that the majority of females in the US fall into the middle space between modeling standards.

Feb 07 13 08:39 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Not sure what models are getting real work at that size range, it's 0-2 or 12+ in any major market.  I would guess that the majority of females in the US fall into the middle space between modeling standards.

From what I've heard/understood NYC prefers their plus models a bit smaller. Here it is quite possible to see a 10 on a plus board, with almost everywhere else starting at a 12-14.

How correct is that?

Feb 07 13 08:50 pm Link

Model

Jeneva Jones

Murrieta, California, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

I had an offer like that. My reaction was pretty much the exact same thing lol

Feb 07 13 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Jeneva Jones wrote:

I had an offer like that. My reaction was pretty much the exact same thing lol

Wow!! That's just disgusting but being unemployed, I might take that job if offered...hahaha

Feb 07 13 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Paige Morgan wrote:

From what I've heard/understood NYC prefers their plus models a bit smaller. Here it is quite possible to see a 10 on a plus board, with almost everywhere else starting at a 12-14.

How correct is that?

Damn

Feb 08 13 06:04 am Link

Model

JWest

Paige Morgan wrote:

How correct is that?

I guess that's where my problem lies. Here it seems that plus starts at the 14 range, sometimes I've seen a 12, but 10 isn't "plus". I suppose it just depends on the area, I just need to move to NYC or California. hmm

Feb 08 13 06:22 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

$300 to do something I gotta do anyway? Bring it! lol

Feb 08 13 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Birds of Stones

Greenville, South Carolina, US

If you think its hard for a plus size model to find work. you should try finding a good plus size model its not easy.

Feb 08 13 06:43 am Link

Model

JWest

KonstantKarma wrote:
$300 to do something I gotta do anyway? Bring it! lol

LMAO sounds tempting but my poo time is private. I don't even know my husband knows when I poo, I sneak around for it, lol.

Feb 08 13 06:54 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Undead Threads wrote:
If you think its hard for a plus size model to find work. you should try finding a good plus size model its not easy.

Here and ready to shoot big_smile

Feb 08 13 06:58 am Link

Model

JWest

Undead Threads wrote:

Maybe Autumn Rose and I can take a trip down there smile

Marin Photography wrote:

Wow!! That's just disgusting but being unemployed, I might take that job if offered...hahaha

I think the fact that you're a man has something to do with it...I would imagine most women would say fuck no.

Feb 08 13 06:59 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Jojo West wrote:

Maybe Autumn Rose and I can take a trip down there smile

We could make one helluva shoot big_smile

Feb 08 13 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Birds of Stones

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:
We could make one helluva shoot big_smile

strange as it sounds I was already looking at  Autumn Rose's profile.
I would feel bad asking someone to drive all the way from DC. but if you guys are offering ....

Feb 08 13 07:21 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

I sure am, PM me and we can work out a date. smile

Feb 08 13 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

Undead Threads wrote:

Again I'm not a plus size model. And I've shoot fewer than 20 models, so my opinion may be of limited use. But I have shot a lot of women so maybe that counts for something.

I typically prefer plus sized models but that may be because my personal preference is typically in the 8-12 range. And yes ladies I know 8 is not plus, I was just saying. But I'd also say that the inverse of your statement is true Jojo, that while you are asked a lot for fetishistic stuff a lot of plus sized models I've spoken to want to shoot that kind of stuff. It might be a little chicken and egg thing happening there.

I'd also say that ratio of plus sized women who know how to pose or will follow direction or have good attitudes is neither higher or lower than the 0-6 girls who do.

Feb 08 13 07:41 am Link

Model

JWest

Undead Threads wrote:

strange as it sounds I was already looking at  Autumn Rose's profile.
I would feel bad asking someone to drive all the way from DC. but if you guys are offering ....

I'm a total travel whore and I love driving. We can work something out I'm sure.

Feb 08 13 07:42 am Link

Model

JWest

1k-words-photograpy wrote:
But I'd also say that the inverse of your statement is true Jojo, that while you are asked a lot for fetishistic stuff a lot of plus sized models I've spoken to want to shoot that kind of stuff. It might be a little chicken and egg thing happening there.

LOL, chicken and egg?

As far as plus size models wanting to shoot that fetish stuff...yeah I don't mind the fashion aspect of it, absolutely love it actually. Latex, pvc, gas masks, chains, collars, whips, fishnets...bring it on! Woo! hahahaha

Video tape me rubbing butter on my "belly" while surrounded by tons of food...nope sorry. Capture me pooping? Yeah I don't think so. Yes those offers have been made! They were specific to "big girls"

Feb 08 13 07:47 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Jojo West wrote:

I'm a total travel whore and I love driving. We can work something out I'm sure.

I have someone interested in DC, maybe we can road-trip it smile

Feb 08 13 07:47 am Link

Model

JWest

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:

I have someone interested in DC, maybe we can road-trip it smile

Oooh I smell a fun trip!

Feb 08 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Birds of Stones

Jojo West wrote:
...Capture me pooping? Yeah I don't think so.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a perv. But I really don't get the pooping thing.

Feb 08 13 07:57 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Undead Threads wrote:

I like to think of myself as a bit of a perv. But I really don't get the pooping thing.

Ugh, ditto. I have the sense of humor of a horny 14y/o boy but changing a poopy diaper (I nanny) makes me almost puke. No way would I ever do that.

Feb 08 13 08:10 am Link

Model

christiecreepydolls

Los Angeles, California, US

I live in LA and the casting calls come up but most are nudes. Not my thing. Some are fetish. I have had people contacte on here after finding my website or seeing my images online. If you do shoots make sure people are seeing them!

Feb 09 13 02:11 am Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Christie Doll Face wrote:
If you do shoots make sure people are seeing them!

When you get paid sometimes you don't get images. You can always can get a reference from who you worked with.

Feb 09 13 07:35 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

We just published an article on Plus Size Modeling written by Anna Adrielle.

www.modelmayhem.com/education/modeling/ … e-modeling

Feb 13 13 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cremo Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I have been contacted by a very pretty Plus size lady who is in the +20 size range. Working out a theme has me scratching my head a little, but I'll get there.

She has done some work previously with some good results - nude and artistic..

I don't see how people consider a size 14 as plus ??? Are sizes uniform world wide? EG: A size 10us is 10Australian is 10 European? Sorry if its an obvious question sad

Apr 17 13 12:03 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Cremo Photography wrote:
I have been contacted by a very pretty Plus size lady who is in the +20 size range. Working out a theme has me scratching my head a little, but I'll get there.

She has done some work previously with some good results - nude and artistic..

I don't see how people consider a size 14 as plus ??? Are sizes uniform world wide? EG: A size 10us is 10Australian is 10 European? Sorry if its an obvious question sad

because it's a plus size MODEL. That means "plus size, in comparison to fashion models (size 0-2-4)." it does not mean "plus size, in comparison to regular people walking on the street"

check out the article mentioned above, it explains it there.

and this is how sizing works (not vanity sizing, but how most agencies make the switch):

US 10
AU 14
EU 40

but like I said, that's the sizing according to measurements. US has so much vanity sizing going on, it's crazy... I'm a 16 (46 in EU), but I'd easily fit a 12 in a US shop. I'd be a 18 or 20 for australia, italy and the UK smile.

Apr 17 13 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Cremo Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Anna Adrielle wrote:
...and this is how sizing works (not vanity sizing, but how most agencies make the switch):

US 10
AU 14
EU 40

but like I said, that's the sizing according to measurements. US has so much vanity sizing going on, it's crazy... I'm a 16 (46 in EU), but I'd easily fit a 12 in a US shop. I'd be a 18 or 20 for australia, italy and the UK smile.

Anna.
Thanks for the explanation...
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a global standard LOL!

Apr 17 13 08:44 pm Link