Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA Assistant Interview-What to Bring? PLEASE HELP

Makeup Artist

The Ministry of Glamour

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Hi MM Community,

Long time lurker 1st time poster, haha. I am trying to gain experience as a MUA, so I have contacted a very select group of artists - whose work I genuinely admire - to inquire about potentially assisting them. I've had a good response thus far and have a meeting set up with a company that specializes in high end m/u in our local market (yay!).

When I set up the meeting the lovely office person said that it "would take about an hour". This is the first time I've tried reaching out to the MUA community, so I'm not 100% sure how to handle this situation...

...What do I bring? What do I wear? (Interview-type clothes?) Any other feedback/tips/stories of personal experience would be appreciated. I want to learn & make the most of this experience even if it doesn't result in a "job".

Thanks guys!

smile

Feb 01 13 10:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MA YE

New York, New York, US

Congrats! Just be yourself, bring your book, and hope for the best. As great as the opportunity is... sometimes it results in nothing even if the interviewer loved you and said they would tell all of their artists how great you are (my opinion may be biased, haha). Don't seem too experienced.. be wide eyed and a little ignorant. Good luck!

Feb 04 13 06:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

With clothes, I generally go by the rule that for anything professional-related, its better to be overdressed than underdressed. I'd go with fashionable interview-type clothes with natural make-up (unless the company's aesthetics are more out there). Good luck smile

Feb 05 13 01:15 am Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

Dress comfortable.  Clean and lightly fashionable.    I've seen people lose jobs for being over dressed or too conservative.    Be yourself , don't wear alot of makeup but enought to look pulled together
Did you google the people you are interviewing with. Learn all you can about them as your job is to assist and anticipate what they might want or need.   

Googling someone tells you alot of who they are and how they represent themselves

Ultimately it's really about personality.  If I like someone an feel safe with them.  I'll hire them

Feb 05 13 07:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Magnolia Beauty

Summerville, South Carolina, US

I recently went on an interview for assisting and was asked to be on her makeup team, plus she is going to be teach me airbrushing, it's exciting!

Your interest in networking will pay off, sometimes it take a few meetings, but you are really on the right path and are already setting yourself apart from other wanabee starting makeup artists by reaching out.

To my interview, I dressed nice, wore cream linen slacks and grey silk blazer. A lot of makeup artists go on job wearing full black, while some represent themselves more colorfully - hopefully you browse google or facebook and find a photo of the person you're interviewing with at work so you can see how they dress.

I brought a notebook and my portfolio on ipad, resumes (didn't need it), and my makeup kit, she was interested in products I use, if I was comfortable/prepared for ethnic makeup, did I like being a makeup artist and do I want a full career in it, and how fast I apply makeup. I asked to know all about her company, who her mentor was, what was the greatest thing they taugt her, and what she wants in an assistant, lots of wedding and shoot related questions, and let her know I read her blog and website. She was funny and lovely, we really clicked.

Hopefully you have a great experience too! Just be perky, ask them A lot of questions, show more interest and curiosity in them. Good luck!!

Feb 06 13 09:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Ministry of Glamour

Thanks for all of the advice guys, very helpful!!

After 3 interviews and a trial makeup application, I was offered an apprenticeship with the lead artist at a high end studio that does all kinds of makeup. She's a super talented artist and I'm really excited about all there is for me to learn. As a new artist, think this will be a great experience...

...But what did I bring and wear? Happy to wear all black when on set or working a wedding, but the "real me" is bound to come out eventually! So, thought the best approach was to be myself, because if they don't like my style, then it's not a good fit, right? I wore my gold jewelry. I wore my leopard. My style is bold, but classic and elegant and still professional. My interviews were on my lunch break from break my day job, so everything was office appropriate. Wore on-trend, but day appropriate makeup.

Brought my iPad with my portfolio on it, but they didn't want to see it, because they said that my style and personality spoke for itself. Admitted that was fine because my portfolio still needs lots of love.

For the trial I brought my kit and a "model" (a friend). The makeup that I did wasn't perfect, but I wasn't shy to ask for pointers and to admit that I'm a new artist & am here to learn.

Just was myself, acted professionally, showed my passion and most importantly listened & tried to make the most of the experience, even if I did't get offered an apprenticeship. But did, so yay! πŸ’„πŸ‘„πŸ˜„

Apr 23 13 11:35 am Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The Ministry of Glamour wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice guys, very helpful!!

After 3 interviews and a trial makeup application, I was offered an apprenticeship with the lead artist at a high end studio that does all kinds of makeup. πŸ’„πŸ‘„πŸ˜„

Yay smile congrats!

Apr 23 13 09:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Ministry of Glamour

Thnx😎

Sep 16 13 08:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Lynn, Massachusetts, US

That's great, congrats!!

Nov 23 13 06:10 pm Link