Forums > Critique > Getting rid of this old photo that people love?

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Alright, so I have a photo in my portfolio here from 2007. I know, I know--it's completely outdated, doesn't represent me anymore, etc. The thing is, this is easily, far and away, my most popular photo ever on MM (I don't see why, but it is), and it's brought me more paid work than probably the rest of the photos I've posted combined. It hasn't recently, but people still reference it quite a bit. (Also, it's not like people are booking me based on that photo because they're under the impression that I'm still styled that way, as, clearly, the rest of my photos properly represent me.)

The thing is, I do know that it's outdated, and sometimes, when I have a lot of awesome new work that I want to showcase, I find myself wondering if I should delete it, even though it's "MM's favorite."

Thoughts?

This is the photo in question:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080518/12/48305f64a0133_m.jpg

Feb 02 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Posts: 1422

Orlando, Florida, US

If you're so sure that it's still bringing you in paid work, then... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. smile

Feb 02 13 12:56 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Hm, well that's the thing--it DID bring TONS of paid work, but now, not so much... yet new people are constantly referencing it.

Maybe I just need to do a more grown-up, almost Jessica Rabbit-esque version, so I can replace it already? o.O

Feb 02 13 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Posts: 2455

Los Angeles, California, US

Shalom Rachel, ma nishma?

I would say keep it. It's one of your stronger photos. Replace your weaker shots with your new work.

Feb 02 13 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Posts: 18219

Albany, New York, US

1. Its YOUR port. You can present it in any way you see fit.

2. I'd honestly cut delete the duplicates simply for parity's sake. Like 2 (or more) of you in the same outfit against the same backdrop.

Feb 02 13 01:01 pm Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3960

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was going to say dump it because it's your worst photo - BUT if that's the photo that's selling people on hiring you - then leave it.

There's one or two photos I have up in the port that weren't my favourite from that certian shoot - but the majority of people liked it better. If I want to successfully market myself I need to appeal to a vase majority of people, not just myself.

Just keep that in mind.

Feb 02 13 01:14 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
I was going to say dump it because it's your worst photo - BUT if that's the photo that's selling people on hiring you - then leave it.

There's one or two photos I have up in the port that weren't my favourite from that certian shoot - but the majority of people liked it better. If I want to successfully market myself I need to appeal to a vase majority of people, not just myself.

Just keep that in mind.

All good thoughts, from everyone. I have to say, though, Nicole, that you're the first person to ever say that that image was bad! wink I'm interested to hear why... partially because you're basically the first person besides me to not absolutely rave about it. wink

Feb 02 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 8599

Olney, Maryland, US

Rachel-Elise  wrote:
Alright, so I have a photo in my portfolio here from 2007. I know, I know--it's completely outdated, doesn't represent me anymore, etc. The thing is, this is easily, far and away, my most popular photo ever on MM (I don't see why, but it is), and it's brought me more paid work than probably the rest of the photos I've posted combined. It hasn't recently, but people still reference it quite a bit. (Also, it's not like people are booking me based on that photo because they're under the impression that I'm still styled that way, as, clearly, the rest of my photos properly represent me.)

If I hired you based on that image, would I be satisfied with your appearance when you arrive?

Feb 02 13 01:30 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Shalom Rachel, ma nishma?

I would say keep it. It's one of your stronger photos. Replace your weaker shots with your new work.

Ma nishma? smile Are you ever in my neck of the woods?

Feb 02 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Posts: 8006

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Why would you want a 5 yr old photo in your port?

Feb 02 13 01:35 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Images by MR wrote:
Why would you want a 5 yr old photo in your port?

Again:

"This is easily, far and away, my most popular photo ever on MM (I don't see why, but it is), and it's brought me more paid work than probably the rest of the photos I've posted combined. It hasn't recently, but people still reference it quite a bit."

I don't know why people like it so much, but they do.

Feb 02 13 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Posts: 2455

Los Angeles, California, US

Rachel-Elise  wrote:

Ma nishma? smile Are you ever in my neck of the woods?

Not since I was 15, unfortunately. sad

I want to go soon...Ha shana ha baha be...and all that jazz.

Feb 02 13 01:47 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Mark Salo wrote:
If I hired you based on that image, would I be satisfied with your appearance when you arrive?

Why would you hire a model based on a photo with a haircut that's different than every other photo in the portfolio?

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but there have been plenty of people who did hire me, based on that image, but also acknowledging that I now had a different haircut.

I really don't know what it is--maybe it's the pose, maybe it's the lighting, and maybe it's something else.

I understand the concept of only using current images in a portfolio; trust me, I've been doing this since 2001. That's why this one is so different for me--it's the only one that has defied reason, when it comes time to switch up le olde porte. Yes. I "SHOULD," theoretically, switch out this photo, based on how old it is, and the change in hairstyle, but there are always a few reasons which argue against getting rid of it. It's never been the case with any other image. That is why I'm questioning getting rid of it.

Feb 02 13 01:53 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

Not since I was 15, unfortunately. sad

I want to go soon...Ha shana ha baha be...and all that jazz.

I suggest you come in October, whatever year you decide to come... the weather's the friendliest in October. smile

Feb 02 13 01:55 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Alright, so right now, the score is:

Keep it: 3
Lose it: 2

...and one undecided Me.

Feb 02 13 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Murphy Photo

Posts: 72

Pensacola, Florida, US

Why delete it? Just HIDE it. That way you can always UNHIDE it if you chose.

Feb 02 13 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Posts: 666

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Keep.  I just did a quick look-through but I didn't see anything stronger in there.

Feb 02 13 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 9026

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080518/12/48305f64a0133_m.jpg
It’s a nice photo but would not call it a show stopper, there is also no reason for me not to hire you with this photo in your portfolio as long as you tell the world you do not have that look anymore

What’s not to love?
Blown out highlights forehead, models right cheek, top of head
Few flyaway hairs that could be Photoshoped out [Use a dryer sheet to reduce static, blot gently do not rub]
Place hips on angle to camera for thinning effect
Wrinkles in top [Could use clips in back to tighten up]
Would love to see all of your left hand
This image is not capturing your beautiful eyes

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111124/14/4ecec85de9a75_m.jpg
Now this one has a stronger look in my book

I am not a fan of folders, but maybe this would be a good time for a folder called older work



Wish you well

Feb 02 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Posts: 2816

Los Angeles, California, US

It is a fairly classic shot that I am sure you could pull off today.  As for hair, different styling and wig would be two ways to address it.  So I would say keep it.

No, it is not the most amazing shot in the world as far as expression and other more nitpicky things, but it is representative.  I would remove the other dupes and weaker pictures and wait until you have too many better ones to replace it and do it then.

Feb 02 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 2849

London, England, United Kingdom

Find someone to reshoot it for you. lighting, styling,  everything.

Darren x
www.Facebook.com/darrenbradephotograpy

Feb 02 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

Posts: 2903

New York, New York, US

As a model I wouldnt feel comfortable having a photo from my prime physique days along side of the current sub prime reality- does it bother you? Is that why you are dumping it?

Feb 02 13 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

kl-photographics

Posts: 296

Lemgo, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

i also don't like it much, i think u have better ones. but if it's bringing u some paid jobs i would for sure keep it. me in person i would never book a model just cos of special shot. for me the whole sc must be fitting together. if theres just one of 20, that i like i wouldnt book u.

Feb 02 13 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Posts: 3944

Lansing, Michigan, US

IMHO, keep it. It's a good shot.

You post a lot of 'pairs' of shots from a given shoot. I'd mix them up a bit so the 'pairs' aren't side by side and quite so obvious. Usually, it's suggested you only post 1 shot of a given outfit/setup. I think that may be a bit restrictive in some instances, other times it's good advice.

Just my opinion.

Feb 02 13 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 1911

Los Angeles, California, US

The Effective Image wrote:
IMHO, keep it. It's a good shot.

You post a lot of 'pairs' of shots from a given shoot. I'd mix them up a bit so the 'pairs' aren't side by side and quite so obvious. Usually, it's suggested you only post 1 shot of a given outfit/setup. I think that may be a bit restrictive in some instances, other times it's good advice.

Just my opinion.

I agree with the good shot remark. Sometimes a shot can improved but it is bullet-proof pretty much in getting across some of your powerful qualities.  You look good in it and somehow it conveys something a quality that closed the deal and more than one. You still get references to it, so if it is still helping you, keep it, until it doesn't serve you.

Feb 02 13 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

GoldieImages

Posts: 152

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Keep it.

If it's getting eyeballs on your portfolio then it's doing its job.

Feb 02 13 08:50 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Mark wrote:
As a model I wouldnt feel comfortable having a photo from my prime physique days along side of the current sub prime reality- does it bother you? Is that why you are dumping it?

Um, what?

This photo is sub-prime?

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111124/14/4ecec78cb9736_m.jpg

I really don't understand what you're asking. In the photo in red, I was a baby-face and pretty inexperienced as far as "real modeling" goes. Now, I'm 15 lbs thinner, usually always with a hard body (right now I have a knee injury, so I can't exercise, but you can still see the hard body, to a lesser extent), a heck of a lot more confident, and published.

Pretty sure that my reality is not sub-prime.

Of course, because this is the internet, I don't know if you were saying that as a statement about me now, or as a general "maybe she does look worse now, but is just photoshopped; I really have no idea so I'm just guessing and actually want to help" kind of statement. It didn't sound like it.... again, words.

Feb 02 13 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Posts: 1919

Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US

Michael Kerrek wrote:
If you're so sure that it's still bringing you in paid work, then... ** ** ***'* *****, ***'* *** **. smile

Oh, I can't believe you said that!  That's a taboo statement!

Feb 03 13 12:09 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Posts: 866

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I'll keep it, you have great body and beautifull face, but this shot is the most expressive of yours.

Feb 03 13 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Blue Mini Photography

Posts: 1698

Tempe, Arizona, US

After looking thru you portfolio, I would keep it for sure.

You don't have many shots in this style.  If I were you I would look at get rid of a few of the dance shots if you need to add more work.  You have plenty of them.

Feb 03 13 03:54 am Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Posts: 1650

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Alright, since the overwhelming majority says to keep it, I went ahead and kept it. I also rearranged the photos and got rid of one, maybe two.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I think the port looks a lot better, and that particular photo much less out-of-place, now. smile

Feb 03 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1743

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Delete it

Feb 03 13 02:53 pm Link