Forums > Photography Talk > Memory card corruption? Or something else?
guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

After reviewing my pics from today, I came across these two anomalies.

This is the 1st of the anomalies
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird1.jpg

And this is the shot after
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird2.jpg

The rest of the shots were fine, just those two.

I do recall during that time the buffer was filling up and I had to wait for the camera to write to the card.

Thoughts? 

I'm using a 5D3 + Sandisk Extreme Ultra 32GB SD card.

Feb 02 13 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Posts: 6629

Huntington Beach, California, US

Card error. Your EXIF data is accurate so the camera and shutter are doing it's job. Do a complete format of your card on your computer and if you have a wiping software use it. Then format the card in your camera. That should clear the issue.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera llama: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Image Date: 2013-02-02 16:12:07  0000
Focal Length: 70mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows

Feb 02 13 11:24 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

gonna do a low level format on the card in camera, see if this occurs again.

Kinda http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

Feb 02 13 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Jewett

Posts: 2460

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

This is what happened with one of my Sandisk cards.

Feb 03 13 12:33 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 1868

Los Angeles, California, US

My cpu has been under strain lately on my computer and sometimes I get one third of an image with red and blue streaks like a TV that has lost the station. I have too many images on my computer. Space is becoming a huge problem. I hope the reformatting on the card fixes it for you.

Feb 03 13 12:48 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Posts: 5286

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Were you shooting Raw? If so every Raw has a Jpeg embedded. Sometimes even if the Raw is corrupted this embedded Jpeg is recoverable and usable. Try searching for and downloading "Instant JPEG from RAW". Run this on your corrupted file (if they are Raw) and you may be able to retrieve a usable Jpeg from them.

Feb 03 13 01:10 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

WMcK wrote:
Were you shooting Raw? If so every Raw has a Jpeg embedded. Sometimes even if the Raw is corrupted this embedded Jpeg is recoverable and usable. Try searching for and downloading "Instant JPEG from RAW". Run this on your corrupted file (if they are Raw) and you may be able to retrieve a usable Jpeg from them.

Yup, always raw, even viewing the photo on the camera's LCD shows the clipping on the image.

Crossing fingers it doesn't happen again smile

Feb 03 13 01:37 am Link

Photographer

John M Hoyt

Posts: 347

Greenville, South Carolina, US

On my d70 and on its replacement, a d7000, I have had similar things happen infrequently.

The bottom third of the pic will have noise in it. Happened just last week.   Formatted the card, all is well again.

Feb 03 13 09:53 am Link

Photographer

MC Photo

Posts: 4144

New York, New York, US

K E S L E R wrote:
After reviewing my pics from today, I came across these two anomalies.

This is the 1st of the anomalies
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird1.jpg

And this is the shot after
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird2.jpg

The rest of the shots were fine, just those two.

I do recall during that time the buffer was filling up and I had to wait for the camera to write to the card.

Thoughts? 

I'm using a 5D3 + Sandisk Extreme Ultra 32GB SD card.

I'm assuming you've looked at the image as a thumbnail and in DPP, right?

Photoshop did that to one of my photos the other day. It was fine in lightroom.

Feb 03 13 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 8378

Olney, Maryland, US

I had a problem with a card once.  After reformatting, I wrote a question mark on the card.  I never really trusted that card after that.

I love freckles - I hope that you post an image or two of that model.

Feb 03 13 01:08 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

MC Photo wrote:

I'm assuming you've looked at the image as a thumbnail and in DPP, right?

Photoshop did that to one of my photos the other day. It was fine in lightroom.

I viewed them as raw using Lightroom.

Feb 03 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Posts: 3882

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Your images appear as if the digital file has corruption.

You need to determine where the corruption was introduced into the system.

Others have suggested that the problem is with the memory card.  This is certainly possible, but is not the only scenario.

You may want to try the card in a different card reader on another computer.  If you don't have a different reader/computer, try a USB cable directly from the camera to your computer.

If that works, then it would suggest that the issue is not with your card, but elsewhere in the process.

The problem could be with the card reader, or problems with your hard drive.

You may wish to run a disk diagnostic (Disk Utility on the Mac, or equivalent under Windows) to make sure there is no directory corruption on your hard drive.

Feb 03 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
Your images appear as if the digital file has corruption.

You need to determine where the corruption was introduced into the system.

Others have suggested that the problem is with the memory card.  This is certainly possible, but is not the only scenario.

You may want to try the card in a different card reader on another computer.  If you don't have a different reader/computer, try a USB cable directly from the camera to your computer.

If that works, then it would suggest that the issue is not with your card, but elsewhere in the process.

The problem could be with the card reader, or problems with your hard drive.

You may wish to run a disk diagnostic (Disk Utility on the Mac, or equivalent under Windows) to make sure there is no directory corruption on your hard drive.

VERY good advice !!!

I had this happen a few times and immediately blamed the card, but discovered that it was actually the card reader, and if I just cooled my jets rather than jumping to conclusions, I could actually take the time to try alternate ways to get the corrupt files via alternate means.

Feb 03 13 07:10 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
Your images appear as if the digital file has corruption.

You need to determine where the corruption was introduced into the system.

Others have suggested that the problem is with the memory card.  This is certainly possible, but is not the only scenario.

You may want to try the card in a different card reader on another computer.  If you don't have a different reader/computer, try a USB cable directly from the camera to your computer.

If that works, then it would suggest that the issue is not with your card, but elsewhere in the process.

The problem could be with the card reader, or problems with your hard drive.

You may wish to run a disk diagnostic (Disk Utility on the Mac, or equivalent under Windows) to make sure there is no directory corruption on your hard drive.

I'm not sure if its the reader.

I view the image in the camera and it shows the same corruption.

Feb 03 13 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

David Krugley

Posts: 63

Orland Park, Illinois, US

Its best to contact sandisk and have them replace the card(s) in question.
I had this happen on about 8 CF cards in a eight month period and sandisk replaced the cards for me. Be shure to talk to a live person in their customer service dept. Do it asap!  I got the replacement cards in a few days.

best of luck,

Dave

Feb 03 13 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

K E S L E R wrote:
I'm not sure if its the reader.

I view the image in the camera and it shows the same corruption.

Then, yes, it is likely that it is the card.

I would still try transferring it via a direct connection from the camera for just the 2 files to confirm they are corrupt.

I would also shoot more shots to the card to see if they corrupt, or try to figure out other ways to see if the corruption is coming from the card or the camera.

In my experience, both SanDisk and Lexar are good at replacing their professional grade cards.

Feb 03 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8828

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

K E S L E R wrote:
After reviewing my pics from today, I came across these two anomalies.

The rest of the shots were fine, just those two.

I do recall during that time the buffer was filling up and I had to wait for the camera to write to the card.

Thoughts? 

I'm using a 5D3 + Sandisk Extreme Ultra 32GB SD card.

How do you normally erase or format your cards? If you use your computer that can be a problem, always use your camera to format.

Do you ever delete images during a shoot that is say you shoot 5 images then delete one and start shooting more? If so that can cause an issue, the idea is the space left empty by the image you deleted off the card may not be large enough for the new image file which can cause problems.

Since you have multiple images in a file will assume it is a file merge, which sounds like corruption. How do the sizes of the files compare to others, are they larger then normal?


I would try contacting Sandisk to see if they can provide light on the issue
Suggest not using the card for important shoots

Feb 03 13 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Posts: 3400

Upland, California, US

I had that happen several times. I was doing some other operation before allowing the camera to completely process the images (jpeg + raw). It was a slow card and I was impatience without realizing it. I eventually got faster cards and now only shoot in jpeg. Doesn't happen anymore.

Feb 03 13 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
I had that happen several times. I was doing some other operation before allowing the camera to completely process the images (jpeg + raw). It was a slow card and I was impatience without realizing it. I eventually got faster cards and now only shoot in jpeg. Doesn't happen anymore.

I don't know what body you shoot, but I will say with my Nikons, I've had it happen during shots where I was not reviewing, not deleting, not doing anything with the camera other than shooting and the buffer was never more than 1/2 full.

Sometimes I've had cards go bad, sometimes I've seen the same thing with a bad transfer of data from the card into the computer, where using a different (slower) reader was able to get a valid copy of the file.

I should also add that my errors were with CF cards at 400x (60mb) speed or faster, so it isn't that cards are too slow or that SD cards suck.

Feb 03 13 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 5968

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Sandisk has a lifetime warranty on "Ultra" products (10 years where "lifetime" is not allowed).

Assuming it's not counterfeit - if it happens again - send it away.

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/wa … /#warranty
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/wa … er-guides/

Feb 04 13 07:29 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Posts: 981

Jacksonville, Florida, US

i had similar probs with  couple of cards,....started fromating the card 3 times , to be sure the card is empty before the next shoot

i would have color shifts , half gray area, etc... so far, seems the multi format seems to work.... i shoot w 7D

edit...i always did the single fomrat in the camera, now 3xs or more

Feb 04 13 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Beary Photo

Posts: 6

La Vale, Maryland, US

A corrupted card file is usually caused by photographer shutting off camera while little green light is flashing.  Some of the photo file was lost while card was loading.  Leave your camera on between shots.  And only turn off if the green activity light is off.
TOM

Feb 04 13 08:38 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

K E S L E R

Posts: 11574

Los Angeles, California, US

So I contacted sandisk, they said to reformat and try again, its unfortunate data corruption happens, but just reformat and try again.  If it happens again contact them again.

Feb 04 13 09:07 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10555

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

K E S L E R wrote:
So I contacted sandisk, they said to reformat and try again, its unfortunate data corruption happens, but just reformat and try again.  If it happens again contact them again.

Translation: we know you will never trust this card again so we feel safe knowing that you wont use it enough to discover corruption and contact us again so we won't have to issue an RMA for a card.

but they are correct. random shit happens on a random basis. not just to cards, but to everything with memory. "your cable internet isn't working? try unplugging it for 30 seconds and rebooting your computer" "did you try turning it off and on again?" etc

Feb 04 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

Beary Photo wrote:
A corrupted card file is usually caused by photographer shutting off camera while little green light is flashing.  Some of the photo file was lost while card was loading.  Leave your camera on between shots.  And only turn off if the green activity light is off.
TOM

just curious, for those of us who know better and leave the camera on, but still get corrupted files, is there a second "usual" cause then?

PS: K E S L E R, I'd love such beautiful mistakes, but I'm sure it is frustrating as heck.

Feb 04 13 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

Posts: 828

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

K E S L E R wrote:
After reviewing my pics from today, I came across these two anomalies.

This is the 1st of the anomalies
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird1.jpg

And this is the shot after
http://keslertran.com/clients/weird2.jpg

The rest of the shots were fine, just those two.

I do recall during that time the buffer was filling up and I had to wait for the camera to write to the card.

Thoughts? 

I'm using a 5D3 + Sandisk Extreme Ultra 32GB SD card.

Seems quite abstract, it's probably not what you wanted, but I quite like it, as a happy accident. I reckon keep a copy, LR it, print it out. lovely work By the way, always admired your style n creativity.

Feb 04 13 04:01 pm Link