Forums > Critique > First photo shoot with lights

Photographer

Elena Torres

Miami, Florida, US

Hello. This is the first time I used artificial lights. What do you guys think of the photos overall?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130203/11/510eb3bb07b7a_m.jpg

Feb 03 13 04:25 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Honestly I think you did your part well for your first try. The lighting is interesting and the shot draws me in! Well done smile

Feb 03 13 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Not to play devils advocate but how many lights were used? Looks like something with a modifier high just left of center in front and something direct high left behind the model.

Feb 03 13 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Not to play devils advocate but how many lights were used? Looks like something with a modifier high just left of center in front and something direct high left behind the model.

If two lights does the job, two lights are enough.

IMO, needed more hairlight. The hair really disappears into the background. So does the upper part of the head, but to a lesser degree. Otherwise, a pretty good job.

Feb 03 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Elena Torres

Miami, Florida, US

Thank you everyone. I only used one light in this photo. I wanted to have hard shadows on the model with a gloomy dark background. The light was placed right above her. The back light is the sun.

Feb 04 13 10:57 am Link

Photographer

DareImagesArt

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Great effort with only one light!! And considering it is your first attempt. You will get better and better.
www.dareimages.com.au

Feb 04 13 11:07 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think the lighting works, but a little more seperating would have been better.  I think it could use some retocuhing to make it portfolio worthy but it's worth it.

Feb 04 13 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

If two lights does the job, two lights are enough.

IMO, needed more hairlight. The hair really disappears into the background. So does the upper part of the head, but to a lesser degree. Otherwise, a pretty good job.

That's kind of where I was going

Feb 04 13 02:04 pm Link