Forums > Model Colloquy > Models Not Crediting

Photographer

Art of the nude

Posts: 11909

Olivet, Michigan, US

MissLaurelle wrote:
Hey guys!

Is it just me, or a lot of models on MM won't do the modelmayhem credits with the # thingy.

And it's not because the photographer isn't on MM, no.. I've seen many photographers have the same shot as the model credited and all and the model have no info given on hers.


I personally find it frustrating cause I usually want to know who shot the picture. But I also find it kind of a lack of respect?

thoughts...?


Edit; They also don't credit on their MM page (which is obviously not necessary, but if they didn't credit the shot... you'd think they'd mention the photog somewhere?)
I'm huge of crediting.

JadeDRed wrote:
If its not your photo its not your problem.

I don't worry about what other people do when its none of my business. Maybe they have a good reason. Maybe not. Still not my business.

If i ever forgot to credit a photographer they are welcome to message me and i will sort it out straight away. Probably happens quite a lot with the credits as most people i work with i dont meet on here and am therefore unaware of their profiles.

If it impacts her (or my) ability to network, it is her (or my) business.  Doesn't mean we can change anything, but it's a very reasonable concern.

Feb 08 13 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Posts: 11909

Olivet, Michigan, US

JadeDRed wrote:
I take a lot of self portraits and i always wonder whether it is better to leave the copyright blank and be thought ignorant and rude for not crediting the photographer or to fill it in with my own name and be thought of another dumb model who think she owns the photo, it seems whatever we do someone will assume a negative reason for it.

That seems like a lot of worrying, when you could just include "self portrait" in either the caption or copyright section, and take care of it.

Feb 08 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Posts: 1855

Sisters, Oregon, US

Kind of a two way street, isn't it. 

Some llamas are extremely busy and don't care if additional work comes in from networking.  Others want to keep busy and make it easy to schedule them.

Generally, I credit the llamas for the reason of aiding in their getting more work. 

Since most of my shoots are paid, I think it's only fair that if a llama uses one of the images that she was paid for, she should credit me as the photographer. 

Just my 2¢

Feb 08 13 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Posts: 4126

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Crediting me and leaving my logo intact is a requirement stated in my image usage license.  Failure to do so voids the license....

Feb 08 13 08:38 pm Link

Model

Love_mya

Posts: 277

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I like to credit everyone involved.. on MM, facebook or my own website... plus i like to add more details such as location and date (not on MM) to help me remember it for future use or if i need to go back to that photo, its all there smile

Feb 09 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 8673

Olney, Maryland, US

When I look at a portfolio, if a model doesn't give credits, that's a concern.  If a model claims copyright, that's a definite no go.

Feb 09 13 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Posts: 9538

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kelleth wrote:
I could care less whether someone credits their images or not.

i thought i was the only one, phew.

Feb 09 13 04:03 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Posts: 5613

London, England, United Kingdom

Art of the nude wrote:
That seems like a lot of worrying, when you could just include "self portrait" in either the caption or copyright section, and take care of it.

Don't confuse wondering with worrying. As a model it often seems you should cater to every weird, paranoid or demanding photographer so you don't burn any bridges or upset anyone but after a while you soon learn that if you carry on like that its you that burns out and for very little return. So i don't worry that some photographer who is unlikely to ever hire me anyway decides to imagine that some awful, murderous scenario must be the cause of me not labelling my self portraits in the way that pleases them. I do wonder at the mindset behind it though, on occasion.

Feb 11 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 2853

London, England, United Kingdom

JadeDRed wrote:

Don't confuse wondering with worrying. As a model it often seems you should cater to every weird, paranoid or demanding photographer so you don't burn any bridges or upset anyone but after a while you soon learn that if you carry on like that its you that burns out and for very little return. So i don't worry that some photographer who is unlikely to ever hire me anyway decides to imagine that some awful, murderous scenario must be the cause of me not labelling my self portraits in the way that pleases them. I do wonder at the mindset behind it though, on occasion.

+1

Feb 11 13 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

DeeEight

Posts: 104

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Could often be they just don't understand how... everyone knows how to text today but you'd be surprised how few actually know how to web-code if they don't have easy buttons to press to put links in for them and such. A lot of members just list usernames and profile #s as simple text in their profiles but I like to provide actual links in mine you can click on.

Feb 11 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Posts: 973

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I had a great shoot with a model. I paid model for the shoot and specifically asked that if she used any of the images that I shared with her to please credit me.  (Paid shoot so sharing images is at my discretion.)  The first two images she posted a few days after the shoot were properly credited.  I forwarded a few more a week and two weeks later, she posted, no more credits.  Variations of this have happened several times with other models.

The model was one of the best I ever worked with during the shoot.  If a model doesn't credit me after the shoot, I assume it is simple lack of consideration, laziness or in some cases "young self absorption". These are common characteristics of a meaningful percentage of the young and inexperienced (not just young inexperienced models).

I am old. Most models are young. They will not always be young and inexperienced.  They will not all be models when they are old and wise.  I would prefer to shoot with them when they are young and beautiful, rather than when they are old and wise.  (No offense intended to the old and wise, who are wonderful for character shoots, but I don't post those images here.)

Summary,
If a model shows up with bells on for a shoot, I will forgive her when she acts as expected for her age.  It is a pleasant surprise when a model is young, beautiful and talented ... and also mentally/emotionally mature beyond her years.

Feb 11 13 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Posts: 3846

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Could be lots of things, including new llamas who just don't know what crediting is.

Right...wink

Just spell it out in the agreement.

Feb 17 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Derrick_G_FlossyFlick

Posts: 141

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
It's been my experience that some llamas are very proactive and generous in promoting the photographer. Some others tend to overlook that networking aspect, but are eager to give credit when asked nicely. A few are utterly clueless and graceless and won't lift a finger in reciprocity no matter how nicely one asks.

That's life. And it's not just llamas. I've seen photographers who flat-out refuse to promote the llamas.

Not much you can do to get someone to credit you and promote you, except to not work with them again and work only with llamas who understand the value of promotion and credits.

Good one!

Feb 17 13 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Posts: 2350

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

MissLaurelle wrote:
Hey guys!

Is it just me, or a lot of models on MM won't do the modelmayhem credits with the # thingy.

And it's not because the photographer isn't on MM, no.. I've seen many photographers have the same shot as the model credited and all and the model have no info given on hers.


I personally find it frustrating cause I usually want to know who shot the picture. But I also find it kind of a lack of respect?

thoughts...?


Edit; They also don't credit on their MM page (which is obviously not necessary, but if they didn't credit the shot... you'd think they'd mention the photog somewhere?)
I'm huge of crediting.

Models working outside of the normal levels or genre often ask me not to credit them. They did it for me, because they like working with me specifically, but wouldn't advertise that service. Perhaps the same is happening in reverse.

Feb 17 13 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Posts: 3846

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Crediting me and leaving my logo intact is a requirement stated in my image usage license.  Failure to do so voids the license....

Word.

Feb 19 13 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Menai Media

Posts: 137

Bangor, Wales, United Kingdom

I always look for a pic credit because I think it's nice to be able to compliment all those concerned with producing the image.

Feb 19 13 11:28 am Link

Model

Emily N Collins

Posts: 1

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hey Guys,
I need some help with this.
I have worked with a photographer a number of times, and recently our professional relationship has been destroyed, to the point where I have ceased all contact due to harassment.
I have a number of photos on my profile which are all watermarked and his name is always stated in the copyright box.
Am I still obligated to credit him as well?
I feel that this would only be a favour to him which I truly believe he does not deserve due his behaviour
however, if it means that I am going to be restricting my possible work due to lack of credits should I just do it?
Is it worth it?
please help

(ps. I'm a newbie with this stuff)

Jul 24 13 07:20 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Posts: 14663

Los Angeles, California, US

Emily N Collins wrote:
Hey Guys,
I need some help with this.
I have worked with a photographer a number of times, and recently our professional relationship has been destroyed, to the point where I have ceased all contact due to harassment.
I have a number of photos on my profile which are all watermarked and his name is always stated in the copyright box.
Am I still obligated to credit him as well?
I feel that this would only be a favour to him which I truly believe he does not deserve due his behaviour
however, if it means that I am going to be restricting my possible work due to lack of credits should I just do it?
Is it worth it?
please help

(ps. I'm a newbie with this stuff)

Personally, I'd credit him or take down the photos. If his watermark is there, people can find him anyway and may take the presence of his photos as you "vouching" for him.

I don't post photos if I have a really bad experience with someone. I don't want to give them any traffic.

Jul 24 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9620

Santa Barbara, California, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

This is the primary reason I include a small watermark on all my pics that get posted online smile

+1

I agree with a model's perspective of wanting to know who shot a certain photo so she can get in contact and maybe get a similar look for her port.

Jul 24 13 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9620

Santa Barbara, California, US

Emily N Collins wrote:
Hey Guys,
I need some help with this.
I have worked with a photographer a number of times, and recently our professional relationship has been destroyed, to the point where I have ceased all contact due to harassment.
I have a number of photos on my profile which are all watermarked and his name is always stated in the copyright box.
Am I still obligated to credit him as well?
I feel that this would only be a favour to him which I truly believe he does not deserve due his behaviour
however, if it means that I am going to be restricting my possible work due to lack of credits should I just do it?
Is it worth it?
please help

(ps. I'm a newbie with this stuff)

Yes you do, it's part of the professional deal.

If you had a personal issue and falling out, you still have to honor the deal of the photoshoot. Copyrights and usage licensing doesn't change because you don't talk to him anymore. Remember this is a networking website, not Facebook.

You have two choices. Keep the image up and change nothing -OR- take it down completely off your port.

Jul 24 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Posts: 1867

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

MissLaurelle wrote:
Hey guys!

Is it just me, or a lot of models on MM won't do the modelmayhem credits with the # thingy.

And it's not because the photographer isn't on MM, no.. I've seen many photographers have the same shot as the model credited and all and the model have no info given on hers.


I personally find it frustrating cause I usually want to know who shot the picture. But I also find it kind of a lack of respect?

thoughts...?


Edit; They also don't credit on their MM page (which is obviously not necessary, but if they didn't credit the shot... you'd think they'd mention the photog somewhere?)
I'm huge of crediting.

I find it rude too.

To be fair its not just models that don't add credits here.

Jul 24 13 09:51 pm Link