guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Has anybody ever used double sided tape to hold fabric in place on a model?  For example draping a model something like http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 … tS-SP2aNYW where a simple tieing or pinning would produce too harsh a line.

Toupee tape should do the same thing but I suspect that the stuff I'd get in Home Depot would be cheaper and probably hold better.  I'd be a bit worried about not having FDA approval, though.

Any thoughts?

Feb 05 13 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Shon D.- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

If it's not specifically for fabric (and skin), then I'd be afraid that it would harm the fabric (or the model's skin.)

Feb 05 13 05:47 pm Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Arcata, California, US

Places like Victoria's Secret make a double-sided tape, meant for holding clothes in place. It doesn't work fantastically, but it does work, and is safe for skin.

Feb 05 13 05:52 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

Do NOT use craft tape in place of Toupe or Wardrobe tape - unless you can be POSITIVE that the adhesives are IDENTICAL (and that's not going to happen).

The adhesives.... oh, how many models react to tape? Quite a few.

I turned several model's skin red from "how bad can it be?" clear and blue painter's tape before I learned better. Fortunately, I didn't damage the model in the process - and they still speak to me.

I use wardrobe tape and medical grade paper tape all the time to hold plenty of things in place for body painting.

Feb 05 13 05:57 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

Try silicone tape from like Frends or Nigel's.  works even better

Feb 05 13 07:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms BSK

Brooklyn, New York, US

Go to Manhattan Wardrobe Supply, there is a plethora of different sizes of wardrobe tapes. I'm sure you will find something you can use that won't destroy the wardrobe or harm the model.

Feb 06 13 10:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Hair by Dani B

Los Angeles, California, US

Agreeing with the above. Please use tape intended for skin on skin.

Topstick toupee tape and Hollywood Fashion Tape are my top picks, I've always got one or the other in my kit.

Feb 07 13 07:27 am Link