Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Clogged pores? Smooth complexion?

Model

Jess Cantell

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Hey all, I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I just wanted to ask how you achieve a smooth complexion on someone without clear skin?

I understand how to cover redness, or scarring with concealer, however I was wondering how you make someone look as though they have a clear complexion if they have clogged pores for example?
A bit like this... http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages … 020-14.jpg

If you could give me some tips they would be greatly appreciated smile
Again sorry if this has been asked before, I just don't know how to tackle it

Thanks

Feb 07 13 02:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

There's only so much you can do with skin texture, you'll never get a perfect look with bumpy skin but you can definitely help. Stipple on the foundation over the bumpy areas, don't swirl or paint because the surface of spots tends to be very smooth and make-up doesn't stick to it so well. I think a full coverage cream such as Cover FX etc is best to get as "perfect" a look as possible. Let the foundation sit on the skin for a few minutes, blend any areas as needed then powder using a "press and roll" technique with a puff, so as not to knock the make-up off the bumps. Steer clear of any highlighters, shimmery bronzers or foundations with a shimmery or dewy finish on the affected areas as these will make light reflect off the bumps and make them more noticable. A matte finish is more forgiving for this kind of skin.

Using a highlight in areas where there aren't bumps can draw attention to where the skin is smooth and add to the illusion of good overall skin. For example, if the bumps are concentrated around the T-Zone, highlighter on the cheekbones can work well, or vice versa smile

Feb 07 13 03:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aaliyah I

Stevenage, England, United Kingdom

Lauren Reynolds MUA wrote:
There's only so much you can do with skin texture, you'll never get a perfect look with bumpy skin but you can definitely help. Stipple on the foundation over the bumpy areas, don't swirl or paint because the surface of spots tends to be very smooth and make-up doesn't stick to it so well. I think a full coverage cream such as Cover FX etc is best to get as "perfect" a look as possible. Let the foundation sit on the skin for a few minutes, blend any areas as needed then powder using a "press and roll" technique with a puff, so as not to knock the make-up off the bumps. Steer clear of any highlighters, shimmery bronzers or foundations with a shimmery or dewy finish on the affected areas as these will make light reflect off the bumps and make them more noticable. A matte finish is more forgiving for this kind of skin.

Using a highlight in areas where there aren't bumps can draw attention to where the skin is smooth and add to the illusion of good overall skin. For example, if the bumps are concentrated around the T-Zone, highlighter on the cheekbones can work well, or vice versa smile

+1

I have a rich primer made for mature skin and it literally fills minor bumps and wrinkles but other than that we can't do a awful lot to texture with make up alone.

I'd just add that if I still wanted to highlight the skin without drawing attention to any bumps I would use a matte cream foundation that is 1/2 shades lighter than the natural skin tone, just on the cheek bones or bridge of the nose to give it a "subtle pop".

Feb 07 13 04:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms BSK

Brooklyn, New York, US

There is very little that we can do to make that skin look like it is smooth. You want to make sure that you have your skin color exact and no shine on the skin. In all honesty it is up to the photographer or DP to take care of the rest. Depending on the lighting, camera and camera angles it can reduce the appearance of skin texture a great deal. We are seeing more because of HD but prior to that skin texture was something real that artists had to deal with.

Feb 07 13 08:53 pm Link