Forums > Model Colloquy > Age of photographer -- does that matter ?

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7319

New York, New York, US

Harold Rose wrote:

The mind slows down at 30,   I sure feel sorry for you!!!

I learned more at the age of 30 then any other time in my life. I don't see that as slowing down...

Feb 08 13 11:26 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Posts: 2861

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

GPS Studio Services wrote:
BTW, I am an old codger and shoot about 800 models a year.  I'd like to think it is my charm, but it is probably the fact that we pay them all.

LOL

Feb 08 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Lou DiGesare

Posts: 156

Scotia, New York, US

Maybe its time for me to hang it up...?????  next one  "75"

Feb 08 13 11:34 am Link

Model

Jojo West

Posts: 972

Washington, District of Columbia, US

To the OP, the photographer's age shouldn't really matter. It doesn't to me. If anything an older photographer would in most cases have more experience. He/She has had years to perfect their lighting techniques, they know which angles work, and they can direct a model better, if needed.

It varies from model to model but if I had to choose? I rather a much older photographer, like old enough to be my parent, my experiences with younger ones have been less enjoyable.

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i get older and older, but the models stay around 17-25yo...

creepy knows no age limits....
its a matter of your model being comfortable...

i have seen countless creepy young photographers and creepy old ones.....

I love this!

Feb 08 13 11:34 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Posts: 5213

Upland, California, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i get older and older, but the models stay around 17-25yo...

creepy knows no age limits....
its a matter of your model being comfortable...

i have seen countless creepy young photographers and creepy old ones.....

I am not a creep..... I am not a creep.


Pervert.... well, maybe


smile

Feb 08 13 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4377

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Just tell them, "You are a timeless beauty, and I certainly have the decades of comparisons to make that statement."


and seriously op, if you're that worried about seeming creepy, it is an option to find some nice, attractive older people to photograph. Totally your choice.

Feb 08 13 11:53 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Posts: 2248

Naperville, Illinois, US

Step Above Photography wrote:

I am not a creep..... I am not a creep.


Pervert.... well, maybe


smile

Pervert I can deal with! LOL Creep no way!

Feb 08 13 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Posts: 1867

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

KonstantKarma wrote:
It does to model's jealous or insecure boyfriends. It's all fun and games until they realize I'm 26.

I'm 50 and still get the jealous/insecure boyfriend issue.

Feb 08 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

Posts: 874

Saint Austell, England, United Kingdom

How old is to old, should models that are 60 still be modelling?, (As an e.g I'm not saying they should or shouldn't).

It's how you feel.

I don't think you should discriminate against someone because of their age, why would a young model turn down a chance to work with an amazing photographer like Mario Testino, because his in his 60's nonsense, they'd have to be a completely senseless > and an age obsessed idiot (vice verse).

Feb 08 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

noir

Posts: 378

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

AaronPawlak wrote:
I do think the mind slows down in the years after 30.

Why would anyone approach somebody in a coffeshop when we have modelmayhem to use?

Dear Sir or Madam

Although I do now aspire to be a photographic person, I did previously perform as a model until, as I recollect, aged 38.

I wondered, therefore, whether you considered it might be possible the mind slowed down, somewhat, beyond the considerable age of three decades; and whether, perhaps, this behaviour might be a covert biological adaptive resonse to lure young whippersnappers into a false sense of secvurity.

Feb 08 13 01:00 pm Link

Model

Kathleen Michaels

Posts: 11

Tehachapi, California, US

I do not have a problem with the age of a photographer. Never did. My first photographer was without a doubt twice my age (oh so many years ago). And now I don't mind shooting with photogs older or younger.

And I am not a young model... so maybe my thoughts do differ, but I agree with you, I am not here to find a date. Sometimes I get real frustrated at some of the guys who think that is what I am here for.

Kathleen

Feb 08 13 01:08 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 6560

New York, New York, US

Bilsen Galleries wrote:
I actually think my age helps in some way (I'm 60).

Every model I work with can outrun me and half can probably beat me up so they are very comfortable shooting things they might not with someone more in their age category.

Me too!  Between my asthma, arthritis and pacemaker, any 20-something model that can't put me down if I were to get out of line doesn't need a photographer anyway.  She needs a gym membership!

Feb 08 13 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Posts: 6861

Newark, Delaware, US

With all things equal, if I were a model, cute, beautiful and smart, I prefer the photographer who is not more than 10 years older than me.  Just in case I fall in love with him. 

I am just a simple person.  big_smile

Feb 08 13 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Posts: 11909

Olivet, Michigan, US

Caitin   wrote:
I just now noticed something I have never paid any attention to in the past. Most photographers don't even post there age on there profile.

I'm not sure it's even on the choices, but I can't think of any reason to do so.

Feb 08 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7319

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Me too!  Between my asthma, arthritis and pacemaker, any 20-something model that can't put me down if I were to get out of line doesn't need a photographer anyway.  She needs a gym membership!

LMAO

Feb 08 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Posts: 2918

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Yippieskip wrote:
It depends on the photographer, but for the most part I will say that yes, for me it definitely does matter. I put eroticism into everything I shoot and I'm sorry, but if you look old enough to be my grandfather, it's not easy for me to bounce that sexual energy off you.

ouch.

Feb 08 13 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Posts: 15753

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i have seen countless creepy young photographers and creepy old ones.....

Where have you seen them ? and what do they look like ?

Feb 08 13 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Posts: 38210

Gibraltar, Michigan, US

Smells like Ben-Gay and sadness in here

Feb 08 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Posts: 6156

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yippieskip wrote:
It depends on the photographer, but for the most part I will say that yes, for me it definitely does matter. I put eroticism into everything I shoot and I'm sorry, but if you look old enough to be my grandfather, it's not easy for me to bounce that sexual energy off you.

I know what you mean - I cant get that erotic vibe unless I have a raging erection  during the shoot.....

Some models say that me having to be sexually aroused during the shoot is creepy - but some seem to do juuuust fine wink

Feb 08 13 06:09 pm Link

Model

Michael Scot

Posts: 860

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
Curious what models think on this topic? I am mid-fifty, though as anybody over 30 will tell you we stop aging mentally at about age 30, a cruelty of biology to feel 30 but be trapped in an aging body (I look at older and old people now a lot different, realizing inside they are 30 though their skin sags and their hair thins and the bones weaken). The nature of models is pretty much self-selecting for beauty and a young age range of 16 to perhaps 30 at most. So we have photographers of whatever age, and young beautiful models-- does the age of the photographer matter to you models?  Does doing photoshoots with photographers twice your age bother you? What about even much older photographers say 65+, would that turn you off or would you look at that as a plus at having someone with more experience and skill to help you the model improve your portfolio and career?  As a photographer, I am not looking to date models, just photograph them as I just plain love the visual arts (especially the human form) as well as other artforms (I write and also compose music). But in any other venue, it could look odd, dare i say a bit creepy, to pair up much older photographers and much younger beautiful models especially if of opposite genders. What got me thinking on this was reading a thread yesterday about how photographers find models, and how we photographers over a certain age wonder about approaching young beautiful models at e.g. a coffeeshop, as that can come off as a bit creepy given wide age differences.

You're fine, age should actually work to your advantage for a number of reasons, but this is mostly an internal issue that every artist has to deal with, and being well preserved comes with it's own set of challanges.  In any case, those folks have to own their judgements, and life is too short for me to burden their short comings, got my own to deal with.

No matter where you find yourself in the equation, there are stigmas attached to all of our efforts, sooner or later you just have to arrive at "I don't care what others think" and do it for yourself.  Certainly that has to be balanced, as it can be taken out of context, but letting go of that will allow you to get to a place where you create for the sake of creating, and I think your art will arrive at a more authentic place.

Feb 08 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Posts: 4126

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I am soon to be 63.

The models I work with don't seem to care -  regardless of their age or the content of the shoot -

we get along fine -   it has evolved that a few of my close friends are models....

Feb 08 13 07:17 pm Link

Model

Fine Wine

Posts: 226

Orange, California, US

For me it is just the opposite.  Since I am a mature model I am quite comfortable working with older photographers. Often older photographers actually appreciate mature women.


I have to admit I might feel a little weird shooting nudes with a 20 something year old photographer. I might feel a little like Mrs. Robinson.

Feb 11 13 10:03 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Posts: 3956

Seattle, Washington, US

I like 'em really old or really young....it's the middle aged ones that scare me.

Feb 11 13 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

T-D-L

Posts: 10303

Los Angeles, California, US

Most llamas I've met say that older guys tend to be somewhat creepier or odd.  I can honestly say that most of the ones that pick up a camera in their later years (say...late 30's ) probably do come across that way from my observations at the studio I work at.  From watching them shoot I wouldn't say it's the age thing though, I've noticed more-so that it's the fact that older guys tend to not be able to communicate effectively with younger women.  I think that just creates a situation where there's a possibility for awkward moments/silence/confusion.  Considering some of these guys are 40-50 years old, and the girls are maybe 18-25 it just seems to me like there's a sort of disconnect as far as being able to relate to one another.  Communication with a llama is key to getting quality images as it both gets your ideas and goals across and also puts a llama into a sort of comfort zone with you as a relative stranger all things considered.  So I can see why some llamas (at least the couple I've spoken to about the subject) might be a little iffy about working with someone with which there's a large age gap.

Feb 11 13 10:28 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Posts: 6355

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not sure how I'd feel shooting with a minor since I shoot mostly sexy stuff, otherwise, I couldn't care less.

Not sure if I count though, since apparently I'm old roll

Feb 11 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 39052

Portland, Oregon, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
I like 'em really old or really young....it's the middle aged ones that scare me.

yikes





hmm










tongue

Feb 11 13 10:39 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

Posts: 17199

New York, New York, US

Not at all.

One of my favorite pictures was taken by a man old enough to be my father.
In fact, he's one of my good friends and a very interesting person.
I enjoy his company and he's the quintessential Hollywood glamour photographer.

He's oddly into some weird shit and amusingly perverted. Our friendship is completely platonic but he's just one fucking cool dude.

He's not repressed in the slightest.

And I'm a fashion model, not a glamour model.
Despite this fact, I find myself in another time when I'm shooting with him.

Honestly he doesn't understand editorial makeup and the work I usually do. He primarily shoots women with big tits in very sexual circumstances.
He's a filmmaker and a very creative person.

We shoot the shit and exchange creative ideas all the time. Albeit he's much older than me I believe he respects my opinion as I do his. He pushes my limits even though I'm a fashion model. I feel very elegant and sexy when I shoot with him.

He is brutally honest with me as I with him.
I think he pushes me to a new creative level.

I know that there is fashion glamour photography which I believe I could do well. Period stuff is my forte.

So back to the question.
Not a lick.

Feb 11 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Posts: 1145

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Jojo West wrote:
To the OP, the photographer's age shouldn't really matter. It doesn't to me. If anything an older photographer would in most cases have more experience. He/She has had years to perfect their lighting techniques, they know which angles work, and they can direct a model better, if needed.

It varies from model to model but if I had to choose? I rather a much older photographer, like old enough to be my parent, my experiences with younger ones have been less enjoyable.

Definitely my kinda model!

Feb 11 13 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Posts: 3219

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

IMO

the only thing that should matter is the work.

Feb 11 13 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

JohnnyK

Posts: 387

Calabasas, California, US

Yippieskip wrote:
It depends on the photographer, but for the most part I will say that yes, for me it definitely does matter. I put eroticism into everything I shoot and I'm sorry, but if you look old enough to be my grandfather, it's not easy for me to bounce that sexual energy off you.

Yippieskip means what she says.  Here's a quote from her profile:

Prejudices- I am here not only to work, but to create the best images possible. That is my job; and certain things can help or hinder my ability to do my job.
1. Mustaches. Think Tom Sellack. If you have a mustache, good for you. Enjoy your mustache. But if you want to have a mustache and shoot with me, I will probably be introverted, despondent, uncomfortable, and unable to look you in the face. Think of it as if I had a phobia of spiders, and you showed up with a tarantula... on your face. All other forms of facial hair (beards, goatees, soul patches, mutton chops, etc.) are dandy, but I cannot handle mustaches.
2. Age. Modeling is a very sensual, erotic thing to me. I need to be able to bounce that energy off of my photographer and if you look like you could be my grandfather it is pretty impossible to be turned on and sexy in front of you, I'm sorry.
I work best with reasonably attractive 25 - 48 year old (looking) men who have no problem directing and know what they are going for.

Feb 12 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Posts: 12250

Lorton, Virginia, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
Actually studies show the mind hits its peak 'wisdom' around age 50.

Very true. There is a reason why most politicians, thinkers, scientists and artists peak at middle age and later. Some specific mental abilities start to deteriorate after 15 when biologically we are no longer children and no longer programmed by nature to just  learn. I was clueless at 30. I should say I was clueless as compared to now (I'm 52) because some would say that I'm still clueless. As a photographer I sucked much worse at 30 than I suck now.

Feb 12 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Boreal Photography

Posts: 293

Geneva, Illinois, US

Fotticelli wrote:

Very true. There is a reason why most politicians, thinkers, scientists and artists peak at middle age and later. Some specific mental abilities start to deteriorate after 15 when biologically we are no longer children and no longer programmed by nature to just  learn. I was clueless at 30. I should say I was clueless as compared to now (I'm 52) because some would say that I'm still clueless. As a photographer I sucked much worse at 30 than I suck now.

I met a guy in the fitness center locker room a couple of years ago, he was 85. I asked him if he had any advice. He said he didn't know sheeeet about life until he was 60. Then he said to read The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, said that book had everything you needed to know about life in it. smile

Feb 12 13 01:02 pm Link

Model

The Red Menace

Posts: 26

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Bilsen Galleries wrote:
I actually think my age helps in some way (I'm 60).

Every model I work with can outrun me and half can probably beat me up so they are very comfortable shooting things they might not with someone more in their age category.

Lol, I like this- I've actually thought this before "Yep, even if things turn bad, I reckon I could outrun this guy." Although I've known some pretty fit older men.

Seriously though, forget age- only thing that puts me off is if a photographer flirts with me a lot and doesn't realise that the energy isn't being returned at all.

Feb 15 13 08:34 am Link

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Posts: 31

Albany, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Not at all.

One of my favorite pictures was taken by a man old enough to be my father.
In fact, he's one of my good friends and a very interesting person.
I enjoy his company and he's the quintessential Hollywood glamour photographer.

He's oddly into some weird shit and amusingly perverted. Our friendship is completely platonic but he's just one fucking cool dude.

He's not repressed in the slightest.

And I'm a fashion model, not a glamour model.
Despite this fact, I find myself in another time when I'm shooting with him.

Honestly he doesn't understand editorial makeup and the work I usually do. He primarily shoots women with big tits in very sexual circumstances.
He's a filmmaker and a very creative person.

We shoot the shit and exchange creative ideas all the time. Albeit he's much older than me I believe he respects my opinion as I do his. He pushes my limits even though I'm a fashion model. I feel very elegant and sexy when I shoot with him.

He is brutally honest with me as I with him.
I think he pushes me to a new creative level.

I know that there is fashion glamour photography which I believe I could do well. Period stuff is my forte.

So back to the question.
Not a lick.

Kudos on appreciating and acknowledging a great person to collaborate with!

Feb 22 13 12:27 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4221

Los Angeles, California, US

I have worked with photographers ranging from 20-23 to 70+.

Age does not matter. I have amazing shots from both the young and the old smile Creativity and talent does not discriminate in this regard!

Feb 22 13 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Caitin   wrote:
I just now noticed something I have never paid any attention to in the past. Most photographers don't even post there age on there profile.

Maybe because it doesn't matter?

And also, there is no setting in a photographer account to display it... wink

Either way, would it make any difference to you if I listed my age as 18 or 80?




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posts: 24319

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Step Above Photography wrote:
I am not a creep..... I am not a creep.
Pervert.... well, maybe smile

letting us know you are a pervert, in no way grants you license, to act like a pervert with your models...

"i told her her i was a pervert when we first met, so i should be able to grab her ass without retribution"

umm no, you should have your head caved in with a ball peen hammer...

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 22 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posts: 24319

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i have seen countless creepy young photographers and creepy old ones.....

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Where have you seen them ? and what do they look like ?

i used to rent out my studio. a lot of times i was asked for help out with light or equipment. I witnessed more inappropriate behavior then i could document.

and they look like everyone else..

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 22 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:

I met a guy in the fitness center locker room a couple of years ago, he was 85. I asked him if he had any advice. He said he didn't know sheeeet about life until he was 60. Then he said to read The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, said that book had everything you needed to know about life in it. smile

I bet he would think that we are young and stupid for all the running around and taking pictures.

Feb 22 13 01:35 pm Link

Model

Rosemarie Bennet

Posts: 147

Warrington, Pennsylvania, US

I definitely care more about the experience and how good their port is... Honestly, I could care less about the age of the photographer I'm shooting with.

Feb 22 13 03:20 pm Link