Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > F16 Jet Goes Missing

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6289

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

...unoffcial reports: It could have fallen into the sea.

Ooh come on! Yeah, right...

http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/01/29 … =240821295

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-16c-19990601-f-0073c-005.jpg

.

Feb 08 13 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

Posts: 6468

New York, New York, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
...unoffcial reports: It could have fallen into the sea.

Ooh come on! Yeah, right...

http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/01/29 … =240821295

.

Damn! It was here somewhere.

Feb 08 13 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Was it stolen perhaps?

How would you steal a plane? Don't they have burglar alarms?  big_smile

F16's are one of my favourite aircraft

Feb 08 13 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Posts: 11598

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Tragic.

Feb 08 13 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Posts: 9421

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Feb 08 13 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

But where's the actual news link all I got was a cruddy video with people speaking a funny language and an F16 taking off... Not much else

Feb 08 13 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6289

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

You really have to dig deep to know what's happened...

RIP to the pilot and condolences the the family.

http://news.yahoo.com/body-us-pilot-mis … 09584.html

.

Feb 08 13 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6289

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

...but it still doesn't add up the eight others, missing (or stolen)...

http://www.christianpost.com/news/f-16- … ted-86387/

(how do you steal equipment weighing 1.5 tons each?)
.

Feb 08 13 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Posts: 25351

Portland, Oregon, US

it did fall into the sea.
along with the pilot.


http://www.stripes.com/news/f-16-pilot- … e-1.206770


Maj. Lucas Frederick Gruenther died last week after his F-16 Fighting Falcon crashed into the Adriatic Sea while he was on a night training mission. A former member of the 555th Fighter Squadron, he was serving as chief of flight safety for the 31st Fighter Wing at the time of the crash. The jet he was piloting belonged to the 510th Fighter Squadron.

Feb 08 13 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6289

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
But where's the actual news link all I got was a cruddy video with people speaking a funny language and an F16 taking off... Not much else

That was a RAW video smile

(no reporters voice over, yet)

.

Feb 08 13 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

That was a RAW video smile

(no reporters voice over, yet)

.

Ah............. I C

Still there are other jets missing that didn't fall in the sea..... As the other poster said how do you steal something weighing 1.5 tons?

Feb 08 13 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Posts: 6289

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Ah............. I C

Still there are other jets missing that didn't fall in the sea..... As the other poster said how do you steal something weighing 1.5 tons?

Something out there must have an appetite for F16's...

http://now.msn.com/f16-engines-stolen-f … li-airbase

(I hope it's not Drax Industries...)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSJE_AdifAC4xvoNuoxJq87igJvvE948VcBvVo_oP6Ez8O0rfH
.

Feb 08 13 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

Something out there must have an appetite for F16's...

http://now.msn.com/f16-engines-stolen-f … li-airbase

(I hope it's not Drax Industries...)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSJE_AdifAC4xvoNuoxJq87igJvvE948VcBvVo_oP6Ez8O0rfH
.

Haha that's insane

Feb 08 13 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Posts: 7303

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Crashes of F16's have happened before.  They've been around since 1976 and are flown by 25 different countries.  BTW, the photo at the top of the page on the Christian Post link is an F22 Raptor with twin vertical stabilizers, whereas the F16 has just one.  Compared to more modern designs, the F16 is comparatively cheap, which is why so many have been built.

Feb 08 13 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Tropic Light wrote:
Crashes of F16's have happened before.  They've been around since 1976 and are flown by 25 different countries.  BTW, the photo at the top of the page on the Christian Post link is an F22 Raptor with twin vertical stabilizers, whereas the F16 has just one.  Compared to more modern designs, the F16 is comparatively cheap, which is why so many have been built.

But what about the ones that didn't crash and were stolen, and those stolen engines? Would love to know how you do that.

Feb 08 13 11:37 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Posts: 10671

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Things can go wrong fast in a single-engined aircraft.

Feb 09 13 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Posts: 17683

Spring Valley, California, US

Tropic Light wrote:
Crashes of F16's have happened before.  They've been around since 1976 and are flown by 25 different countries.  BTW, the photo at the top of the page on the Christian Post link is an F22 Raptor with twin vertical stabilizers, whereas the F16 has just one.  Compared to more modern designs, the F16 is comparatively cheap, which is why so many have been built.

Seriously, how can someone mistake an F-22 for an F-16?

Feb 09 13 05:44 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Posts: 10671

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Seriously, how can someone mistake an F-22 for an F-16?

Do you watch history/military channel? Pretty much every show about a single aircraft includes footage that is not the subject aircraft, but is displayed as such. Most people dont notice.

Feb 09 13 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 5980

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

How fast can things go bad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HecyxhXDepU

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USAF has "lost" over 321   F-16's  --
-- It includes aircraft lost due to in-flight and ground mishaps, natural disasters and any other cause of aircraft crashes or losses.


Air force F-16 attrition
http://www.f-16.net/fleet-reports_article3.html

Air force yearly F-16 attrition rate
http://www.f-16.net/fleet-reports_article5.html



Italian F16 wreckage recovery
http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item246960.html

Feb 09 13 08:57 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12976

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Crashes don't surprise me but how does one steal a whole plane or engine and not get noticed or even caught?

Feb 09 13 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Posts: 17683

Spring Valley, California, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Do you watch history/military channel?

Nope.

Robb Mann wrote:
Pretty much every show about a single aircraft includes footage that is not the subject aircraft, but is displayed as such. Most people dont notice.

Just like the movies with F-16's painted black and called MiGs.

Feb 09 13 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Posts: 5443

Largo, Florida, US

Obviously OBARMA and George W got together and did something with it! Total conspiracy.

Feb 09 13 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kyle T Edwards

Posts: 434

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

It's sad that so many single engine jets go down, but not surprising.  The redundancy would be great...but it would cost money.  As the old saying goes, "remember, your gear was made by the lowest bidder."

Lawrence Guy wrote:
Just like the movies with F-16's painted black and called MiGs.

Don't you know how that works?  Paint a plane black, it's the enemy.  Paint a car black, it's the robbers.  Dress a guy in black, he's the villain.  If I ever rob a bank, I'm wearing a white suit and driving a white car, with whitewall tires, just to be safe.  I'll even anodize my gun white!  I'd be able to drive right past the cops, waving my white gun out the window, and they'd never suspect me.  "It can't be him.  Didn't you see?  That was a white car.  We're responding to a bank robbery; we must be looking for a black one."

Feb 09 13 07:18 pm Link